New 2011 MDX Owner - A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016 | 02:11 PM
6th Gear

New 2011 MDX Owner - A Few Questions

Got a new to me, one owner 2011 MDX Advance. My family and I are really enjoying it so far, but I've got a few questions.

1) The vent fan when running any mode (AC, heat, just fan) is noisy, with a whine/humming. The lady I bought it from said it's always been that way, but I think that's a bit odd. I recorded a short video, sorry about the wind noise from the vent, but you can easily hear the noise I'm talking about, especially when I go over to the passenger side, but seems to be equally loud on the driver's side. I've owned luxury SUV's before, and never had the HVAC system make any real noise other than the wind coming out. I'm mechanically handy, so I just need to know what's making the noise so I can start getting to fixing it, it's annoying. Inaudible once I go above about 3 or 4 on my stereo, but this is a family vehicle, and it does interrupt family conversations. Video:

2) My rear camera guidelines are off, a bit skewed off to one side. I've verified by comparing to a known straight line, they are off for sure. This happened on my previous Volvo XC60 but that was brand new and the dealer fixed it through software adjustments. I've checked and the camera appears to fit straight and snug in the housing. Anything I can do to adjust the lines.

3) Lastly, I've researched this one and think I'm a at a dead end. Is there ANY way to disable the stupid confirmation beep every time I hit a button? I've read a few other posts/sites through Google talking about this and it seems it can't be done. I come from BMW world where in modern BMW's you can connect up an OBDII cable and "code" pretty much any feature you want on/off. Anything similar that can be done on the MDX? Even a volume adjustment would be great, it's just sooooo loud.

Thanks for any help!
Jason
Old 09-14-2016 | 04:32 PM

1.- This is normal, with age the motor starts to develop a whining noise. If you want to fix it its a new blower motor.
Old 09-14-2016 | 05:43 PM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Might also check or change the cabin air filter to see if it is clogged up or ever been changed.
Old 09-14-2016 | 08:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
1.- This is normal, with age the motor starts to develop a whining noise. If you want to fix it its a new blower motor.
Thank you for the suggestion. I did some research to find where it is, got under the dash and it's making the noise for sure. Looks quick and easy to remove and reinstall, ordered one from Rock Auto for about $50 after tax and shipping.

Originally Posted by AlanW
Might also check or change the cabin air filter to see if it is clogged up or ever been changed.
Thank you for the suggestion, actually this was the very first thing I did. On the way home from buying it I stopped at O'Reilys and bought one, super easy to swap too. Here's a picture, so it was a good idea.

Old 09-16-2016 | 07:38 AM
Cruisin'

Welcome! Nice purchase!

2) From what I understood, this equated to the camera being offset on the rear hatch. Maybe someone else can confirm?

3) BMW owner here as well, and as far as I know, no coding setup for these cars. In the information display between the tach/speedo, there are some options and can vary between keys, but nothing similar to INPA / Carly app.

Your forum handle has me intrigued, do you own a BNR32 as well???
Old 09-16-2016 | 08:02 AM
mrgold35

Welcome to the forum! I have a 11 MDX Adv in the same color combo I purchased used 2 1/2 yrs ago (over 80,000 miles now). Minor issues I've had were:
- watch engine oil consumption, I use about 2/3-3/4 of a quart between changes, some folks can use 1-3 quarts between changes.
- OEM battery sucks, can cause 'check charging system' warnings and/or die at anytime. Anything other than OEM work fine for the MDX
- I had my magnetic front struts go out already at 35K (replaced under warranty), ended up getting Acura Care up to 120,000 miles because of the cost to replace. Many folks just convert to regular shocks/struts
- OEM headlights can be aimed too low, easy to adjust
- OEM headlights not too bright, replace with OSRAM CBI 66240 or Morimoto XB 4500k or 5500k
- OEM Back up light at night with camera just sucks, aftermarket LEDs help a little, AUX light help a lot
- did the 6AT reflash, improved shifting and combined mpgs
- 2nd row cup holder gets stuck sometimes, I added a cheap-ass black nylon strap to help pull it out when it does
- did a firmware update because a 'check charging system' warning, it was done about a 18 months before OEM battery died
- needed an alignment when purchased, really improved the hwy driving

It has been very enjoyable to own and drive my MDX. It is an excellent traveling vehicle and the ACC, CMBS, BSI, cooled seat, and magnetic shocks/struts really make driving enjoyable and less stressful.
Old 09-16-2016 | 10:55 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
Welcome! Nice purchase!

2) From what I understood, this equated to the camera being offset on the rear hatch. Maybe someone else can confirm?

3) BMW owner here as well, and as far as I know, no coding setup for these cars. In the information display between the tach/speedo, there are some options and can vary between keys, but nothing similar to INPA / Carly app.

Your forum handle has me intrigued, do you own a BNR32 as well???
I am former BNR32 owner, when I lived in Japan. I'm back in the US now and I refuse to pay the prices they are going for, not worth $20k+ IMO. I'll check into the alignment of the camera more closely, it looked straight on a quick inspection, but I'll take another look. Yeah I went through the manuals and every menu I could find, couldn't find an adjustment for the beep or the volume of the beep, so I figured I would ask. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Welcome to the forum! I have a 11 MDX Adv in the same color combo I purchased used 2 1/2 yrs ago (over 80,000 miles now). Minor issues I've had were:
- watch engine oil consumption, I use about 2/3-3/4 of a quart between changes, some folks can use 1-3 quarts between changes.
- OEM battery sucks, can cause 'check charging system' warnings and/or die at anytime. Anything other than OEM work fine for the MDX
- I had my magnetic front struts go out already at 35K (replaced under warranty), ended up getting Acura Care up to 120,000 miles because of the cost to replace. Many folks just convert to regular shocks/struts
- OEM headlights can be aimed too low, easy to adjust
- OEM headlights not too bright, replace with OSRAM CBI 66240 or Morimoto XB 4500k or 5500k
- OEM Back up light at night with camera just sucks, aftermarket LEDs help a little, AUX light help a lot
- did the 6AT reflash, improved shifting and combined mpgs
- 2nd row cup holder gets stuck sometimes, I added a cheap-ass black nylon strap to help pull it out when it does
- did a firmware update because a 'check charging system' warning, it was done about a 18 months before OEM battery died
- needed an alignment when purchased, really improved the hwy driving

It has been very enjoyable to own and drive my MDX. It is an excellent traveling vehicle and the ACC, CMBS, BSI, cooled seat, and magnetic shocks/struts really make driving enjoyable and less stressful.
Thank you for all of the information. Some of those things I read before, but most are new information. What is the 6AT reflash? They push new software for the transmission that improves shifting and fuel economy? Is there any way to tell if my car has already had it done? I'll look into headlight alignment, replacing bulbs, and the LED reverse lights. Mine is at 80k now and the suspension seems fine, but of course time will tell, still getting used to it.
Old 09-16-2016 | 11:29 AM
mrgold35

I think the 6AT reflash was for the 10-11 MDX and it was standard for the 12-13 MDX. Other than the service records at the dealership, I don't know how to tell if the reflash has been applied to your 11 MDX? Before the 6AT reflash, my MDX did more downshifting and mpgs was around 16-17 combined (low as 14-15 mpg city and only as high as 19.5 mpg hwy at 75-80 mph). After the reflash, it seems to hold the upper gears longer and my mpgs can be 17-18.5 mpg combined now and up to 20.5- 21.5 mpg on the hwy at 80 mph on mostly level ground (as level as you can get at 5000-7500ft in NM). Some folks like the reflash and other don't. The reflash seemed to help improve the MDX with my driving habits.