Need help in Multi-channel audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help in Multi-channel audio

Hello,

I am a new owner of 2007 MDX with Tech/Entertainment package. I bought my MDX to enjoy surround sound mainly.

I have a quick question and hope somebody can guide me on this.

Is there a way send multi-channel audio (like aux) to MDX audio system? I have 700GB of surround sound music in VOB, AC3, DTS format files. I want to use either WDTV Player or ROKU in my car and send multi-channel audio (surround sound) from media player to MDX audio system.

Using existing Aux input, I can only send stereo. I am looking for multi-channel/surround sound solution.

Please help me out.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by streamingguy
Hello,

I am a new owner of 2007 MDX with Tech/Entertainment package. I bought my MDX to enjoy surround sound mainly.

I have a quick question and hope somebody can guide me on this.

Is there a way send multi-channel audio (like aux) to MDX audio system? I have 700GB of surround sound music in VOB, AC3, DTS format files. I want to use either WDTV Player or ROKU in my car and send multi-channel audio (surround sound) from media player to MDX audio system.

Using existing Aux input, I can only send stereo. I am looking for multi-channel/surround sound solution.

Please help me out.
Thanks
I think you answered your own question, but you might want to contact Panasonic just in case.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I think you answered your own question, but you might want to contact Panasonic just in case.
Thank you for your reply! I didn't find my answer

Do you mean to use "AUX" for the input? If so, I will get only 2 channels. I am looking for 5.1 input/multi channel input.

Thanks for your time!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Your question was not answered in any previous post to this thread.
To input and store 5.1 into the MDX you need DVD - A cabable player and import the music via DVD - A discs. It sounds great but ...
Unfourtnatly the currendt MDX DVD - A capable player can not store 5.1 {24 bit sound} to hard drive due to legal copyright requirements.
So in effect it is a single disc player with great sound.
You may only store CD Stereo 2 Channel {16 bit sound} to hard drive.

Last edited by EL_PIC; 09-20-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Your question was not answered in any previous post to this thread.
To input and store 5.1 into the MDX you need DVD - A cabable player and import the music via DVD - A discs. It sounds great but ...
Unfourtnatly the currendt MDX DVD - A capable player can not store 5.1 {24 bit sound} to hard drive due to legal copyright requirements.
So in effect it is a single disc player with great sound.
You may only store CD Stereo 2 Channel {16 bit sound} to hard drive.
The OP stated he could send stereo to the AUX input on the head unit. The ESL system can store/play his music sources if he had the proper software, which Panasonic is not going to provide.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 AM
3rd Gear

Hello,

Thank you for all your answers. I just want to clarify my requirements.

In my car, I have DVD-A drive and another DVD drive for playing DVD video discs. I can get full surround sound if I use DD 5.1 or dts DVDs (movie DVDs).

I have several .VOB files with DD 5.1 and dts as audio stream. To play these files, I have to write them into normal DVD disc. But, it can not store more than 3 hours of video. So, I am looking to add some HDD/Media Player to head unit.

I see on the Panasonic website that few audio amplifiers have optical input. If so, I can use either ROKU or Western Digital Media Player and use Optical-in to play my .VOB files.

BTB, do you know the placement of audio amplifier in 2007 acura MDX? If so, I can check whether I have optical input or not.

Thank you