need advice on maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on maintenance

I have a 2008 MDX with 91k. Vehicle is great condition and has be regularly serviced. I plan on keeping vehicle for another 50k. Dealer is recommending replacing timing belt and drive belt, replacing power steering and brake fluid, differential service and replace front differential/transfer case fluid and EGR remove and clean carbon from upper intake manifold. I'm on a budget so do not want to spend senseless $$. Advice welcome.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Timing Belt < Yes
PS and Brake < DIY it or it Can be delayed
Diff and Transfer < DIY it! Is very easy to change no need to pay the stealership
EGR and Manifold Cleaning < DIY it!! again very easy!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
No maintenance is senseless, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.
Your 08 has regularly been serviced. Are you the 1st owner?

Everything is "recommended" and you should get around to it eventually, but you can:

1. Put yourself on a 15 month diet and save $100/mo.
By then you will be slightly over the 105K recommended timing belt schedule (not a big deal, if you never go 4 wheeling/off roading).

2. Check your tranny fluid. It should not be dark brown or black. On a budget, do 2 gravity drain/fill/drives =7 qts for $52. You turn the wrench.

3. Get a turkey baster and suck out some of your power steering fluid, then refill with new (same amount).
Jack up the front of the mdx a little, to take some weight off of the front tires, start the engine and slowly turn the wheels all the way left and right 3 times.
Stop the engine and check/fill the reservoir. You won't use a whole qt, of power steering fluid.

Don't worry about the rest, if you don't have the money, but do save up for the timing belt/water pump/pulleys/tensioner/accessory drive belt.

If you sign up/register at most Honda and Acura dealerships, they will inform you of timing belt service sales & discounts.

A. Regarding the transfer case fluid & differental fluid...I changed mine at 71K miles and the old stuff was just as clear as the new stuff, give or take a shade of yellow.

B. If you are not getting any EGR codes don't worry about that.
All direct inject engines will be dirtier than the older motors, because the air/fuel mix bypasses the valves. The only way to properly clean the intake and valve train is to disassemble it. You can pay $150 - 200 for a BK intake cleaning, as it's one of the better snake oil treatments.

C. The brake fluid is recommended, but you can neglect it as long as you never let the reservoir get air in the system.

If you want to reach 150,000 miles you will need to eventually get these fluids changed and you can do them all yourself, for under $200 with a small set of sockets, ratchet, and torque wrench.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by eversogw
I have a 2008 MDX with 91k. Vehicle is great condition and has be regularly serviced. I plan on keeping vehicle for another 50k. Dealer is recommending replacing timing belt and drive belt, replacing power steering and brake fluid, differential service and replace front differential/transfer case fluid and EGR remove and clean carbon from upper intake manifold. I'm on a budget so do not want to spend senseless $$. Advice welcome.
as someone else pointed out are you the first owner? you mentioned regularly serviced.

TB service = MID 4 (wait until the car tells you)
PS fluid = is it dirty? has it ever been changed?
Brake fluid = every 3 years (so for an 08, it should have been done in '11, '14, due again in '17).
Differential service = MID 6 (again the car tells you)

the rest, can't say yes or no unless it really is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

most of the general maintenance is covered in the owner's manual. if you are the OG owner, have you followed the MID for service? what the dealer suggests versus what is in the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule do not always say the same thing.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always think of the old Fram commercial
'you can pay me now or you can pay me later'
when deciding on maintenance priorities