Navigation Class Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Navigation Class Action Lawsuit

Hello All,
As we all know that the Honda/Acura Alpine DVD Navi unit has problems with their system which causes inconviences and costly repairs. I would like all within the forum who have had this problem to post on the forum under this thread to get a general idea of who currently has an issue, who had theirs repaired, and who had theirs replaced. I will be consulting with a lawyer here in Denver, CO and for those who would like to join me in talking would be more than welcome to join. As this is a huge issue that demands either recall or replacement for free by the manufactures as a defective product.
Thanks Troy (tunit)

can anyone help to post this across all communities in this forum? as well as the if you are a member?
Thanks again and I will keep you all posted
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Any update on this?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tunit
Hello All,
As we all know that the Honda/Acura Alpine DVD Navi unit has problems with their system which causes inconviences and costly repairs. I would like all within the forum who have had this problem to post on the forum under this thread to get a general idea of who currently has an issue, who had theirs repaired, and who had theirs replaced. I will be consulting with a lawyer here in Denver, CO and for those who would like to join me in talking would be more than welcome to join. As this is a huge issue that demands either recall or replacement for free by the manufactures as a defective product.
Thanks Troy (tunit)

can anyone help to post this across all communities in this forum? as well as the if you are a member?
I haven't had my GPS repaired or replaced, but it is almost useless due to the ridiculous routes it gives.
As much as I hate class action suits, I would be happy to join one for this; especially after Acura and Navteq are essentially telling me there is nothing they can do.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i answered in this guy's other thread in the RL side...he's got them everywhere and he hasn't come back.

NO. i have not had any issues with the navi in either of my cars.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (01-02-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by tunit
Hello All,
Thanks Troy (tunit)

FYI, honda outsource's it nav units to Alpine who makes and repairs these units. No dealership nor acura cooperate employes anyone who can repair these on location. If anything coorperate can only suggest replacing the drive and throwing out the old one since nothing has ever been made public by ALPINE that there is a repair program for these units for 180 dollars.

If anything your class action lawsuit would be against alpine for hiding the repair program vs honda/acura who can probably show that they weren't aware of it. After all dealers are supposed to replace assemblies and let other specialized folks repair the minor intricate details like on throttle bodies, etc. when there is a CORE RETURN on parts (IE transmissions, throttle bodies, etc)
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I haven't had any repairs but I don't use mine because it sucks - it gives shitty routes and you can't mute the voice. I use apps on my iPhone instead. I am actually sorry I bought this car because of this. I should have gotten the base model and used the savings on something else. That said, if this lawsuit will address at least the programming of the unit to make it more workable, I'll sign.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We live in Chicago and so far so good with the navi. Only annoyance is that it doesn't recognize Lake Shore Dr. as a highway...but other than that, no complaints. It never took us to the wrong destination...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
We live in Chicago and so far so good with the navi. Only annoyance is that it doesn't recognize Lake Shore Dr. as a highway...but other than that, no complaints. It never took us to the wrong destination...

Oh, the Navi WILL get you there, but the issue is by which route ?.

In my case, I've had tons of incidents where a highway was avoided and it took me thru a slum (shorter route) when I have it set for highway and shortest time.

This is my wife's car, and the idea of her driving a luxury SUV thru the streets of downtown Paterson NJ late at night does not appeal to me. The Garmin stays on the highway, the iPhone stays on the highway, so I don't understand why this POS insists on going thru this area. At a minimum, they should provide an option on areas to avoid (which is there, but does not remain from trip to trip - you have to set it every time).
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
No problems here with operation or routes {even with congested routes in New Orleans}.
But the future of auto Navigational should include Cloud type tech as in cell phones.
Let the auto makers make cars and the ambulancemen chase ambulances.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i'll say that the routing in the MDX is not as "smart" as the one in my TL.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fxcarden
Oh, the Navi WILL get you there, but the issue is by which route ?.

In my case, I've had tons of incidents where a highway was avoided and it took me thru a slum (shorter route) when I have it set for highway and shortest time.

This is my wife's car, and the idea of her driving a luxury SUV thru the streets of downtown Paterson NJ late at night does not appeal to me. The Garmin stays on the highway, the iPhone stays on the highway, so I don't understand why this POS insists on going thru this area. At a minimum, they should provide an option on areas to avoid (which is there, but does not remain from trip to trip - you have to set it every time).
I couldnt agree more with the lousy routes. My issues are not because they take you through questionable areas. The routes are simply stupid, in many cases incredibly stupid. As an example while being in NJ no more than 10 minutes away from the Goethals bridge and going to Brooklyn, it suggested to go through the Lincoln tunnel!
On Staten Island, to go from the Goethals bridge to Brooklyn, it ignores the Staten Island Expressway. On my exit in the Belt Parkway, it suggest that I take the South exit, when I live North and there is an exit for North. I can go on and on...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Lalin
I couldnt agree more with the lousy routes. My issues are not because they take you through questionable areas. The routes are simply stupid, in many cases incredibly stupid. As an example while being in NJ no more than 10 minutes away from the Goethals bridge and going to Brooklyn, it suggested to go through the Lincoln tunnel!
On Staten Island, to go from the Goethals bridge to Brooklyn, it ignores the Staten Island Expressway. On my exit in the Belt Parkway, it suggest that I take the South exit, when I live North and there is an exit for North. I can go on and on...
I bet "stupid routes" occur much greater on the east coast and in highly contested areas.
You can blame system, but better to blame your location .. or call even call yourself stupid for living there in the first place ..
When someone complains about it taking you thru a ruff area ...
they might as well complain about being taken thru an area with dead dogs or unpainted houses.
Some of these "complaints" are quite funny .. including a class action lawsuit !
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lalin
Yep. I feel your pain.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
I bet "stupid routes" occur much greater on the east coast and in highly contested areas.
You can blame system, but better to blame your location .. or call even call yourself stupid for living there in the first place ..
When someone complains about it taking you thru a ruff area ...
they might as well complain about being taken thru an area with dead dogs or unpainted houses.
Some of these "complaints" are quite funny .. including a class action lawsuit !

1. What is a "contested area".

2. The mere fact that a "contested area" has more options to choose from, means the Navi should be able to pick the best route, not the worst. Like Lalin said, sometimes it's like the best road doesn't even exist.

3. I'm sure where you live there is only one road, so I bet the Navi works great.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I think he may have meant congested.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I had issues when I first tried to update the unit on my 2010 MDX in Nov. of 2011. They were eventually fixed with a patch from Acura. What really bugs me now is the fact that they haven't come out with another update disk for the 2010's since. I've read on other forums where people have ordered an update and then the company cancelled the order because of problems.