MDX or ODYSSEY??? NEED ADVICE...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MDX or ODYSSEY??? NEED ADVICE...

Hi, if some can recall my efforts to search for a 2010 MDX tech... here is my latest update.

Would like to get some feedback... and help to convince me or agree that I'm being stubborn. I'm still trying to cling onto the idea of an MDX but the Odyssey is becoming more and more as the most practical choice.

My search was based on a third potential kid... but now it's official, it's going to be four! Yes, we are having twins.

The Odyssey came into the picture based on the need to install four car seats. I currently have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old... both still in convertible car seats. And now I will need to add two infant carriers.

Is the MDX still completely out of the picture? Or should I suck it up and just get the Odyssey? I've been lurking on the Odyssey forums... lots of talk about it not being the most reliable Honda vehicle, brake issues, etc.

2010 MDX tech VS. 2011 Odyssey EX-L RES

Appreciate any input from current parents of multiple kids as well.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 3 kids - and I'm thinking about trading the MDX for Odyssey.
With 4 - MDX is out of the question.

Recently we took a trip to Florida, rented a mini van. It was an eye opening experience on how comfortable it is. Next family vehicle will be a van - just go drive the Odyssey before making any decision. The choice will be obvious.

I would consider Odyssey without RES and install it aftermarket (ABT in my area did a great job on my MDX - looks and works OEM).
Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
No brainier, go for the Odessy unless you "need" awd. If that is the case, you should look at the Pilot.

You could put a set of Blizzaks on the Odessy and have great snow and ice drivability during winter months. Four peeps, you need the Odessy!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i'm not a parent, but i can only imagine...the MDX will be cramp with 4 little ones and car seats. you'll be much more comfortable in a minivan OR a full size SUV (suburban) with enough space to seat all the kids comfortably and have space to carry stuff and gear. the sliding door of a minivan will allow for plenty of space to maneuver, plus the kids can happily beat up the interior of the van without feeling too guilty. i have plenty of friends with kids and you can never use too much space especially with four.

congrats on the twins BTW.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats on the twins. Seemss to me your logical choice would be the Odyssey.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I would consider the Sienna, the rare AWD minivan.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Congrats on coming twins! I have 3 kids and Odyssey was my best pick, roomy, comfortable, kids love watching cartoons on DVD system, nice and smooth ride. I'm a total Honda guy, owe 05' TL, '11 SH-AWD & Odyssey.

I agree, that Sienna AWD is good choice as well but went with Odyssey, getting good gas mileage.

Being you, I would pick Odyssey or Sienna

Good luck amigo
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM
all stocker

Much appreciated everyone! I know the Odyssey is the best choice for us at this stage in our lives. It was hard to let go of my idea of the MDX... so close and yet so far! Maybe I can upgrade the TL to the MDX in a few years!

I found one potential certified model... what does everyone think? How much would you push them for? There are not many 2011 models in the market currently.

http://www.hondaoffreehold.com/certi...c6c4debfd9.htm

Also, there are concerns here about used car prices skyrocketing since thousands need to replace their vehicles ever since Sandy hit us. And the other concern about flood damaged cars ending up on used lots.

I'm not in a hurry... but we would need to get the Odyssey by end of April to be safe.

We're freaking out about the twins... but excited at the same time. It's no longer about us... the minivan is for the safety and ease of use with the kids.

Thanks again... love this site for the last 10 years!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
First off, congratulations!! Very exciting times indeed!!

The wife and I have four kids. As the two older are young adults and have their own cars (05 Z Roadster and 08 Accord), we only really travel with our 5 y/o and 2 y/o so our 12 MDX Tech fits the bill fine....mainly with the third row folded.

However, if all four were not of driving age then the Odyssey would be our primary option. We used to have an 97 Villager and later an 00 Quest, having the latter for 10 years. To date, there's been no other vehicle in our household with as much utility as our minivans.

As far as used car prices "skyrocketing" here in central NJ due to Sandy, I doubt that you'll see that much price variance. However, if that occurs it'll likely be very localized. However, flood cars are a legitimate concern. Presumably, certified models will afford some level comfort.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I echo what has been said, MDX should leave and make room for the odyssey, or whatever other minivan you choose to buy, and with that many kids not only do you need a third row, you need the sliding doors.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with everyone, go mini van. I hated doing it when I had three in car seats and one out but it was the best move at the time. Now that my kids are bigger the MDX is a great fit for four kiddos. Congrats on the growing family.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
100% minivan. I have two kids and the MDX with roof box is barely enough room for us for road trips and NOT enough room to go camping. With twins and two other small kids, I'm thinking a Suburban is a better choice.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Sensei
Hi, if some can recall my efforts to search for a 2010 MDX tech... here is my latest update.

Would like to get some feedback... and help to convince me or agree that I'm being stubborn. I'm still trying to cling onto the idea of an MDX but the Odyssey is becoming more and more as the most practical choice.

My search was based on a third potential kid... but now it's official, it's going to be four! Yes, we are having twins.

The Odyssey came into the picture based on the need to install four car seats. I currently have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old... both still in convertible car seats. And now I will need to add two infant carriers.

Is the MDX still completely out of the picture? Or should I suck it up and just get the Odyssey? I've been lurking on the Odyssey forums... lots of talk about it not being the most reliable Honda vehicle, brake issues, etc.

2010 MDX tech VS. 2011 Odyssey EX-L RES

Appreciate any input from current parents of multiple kids as well.
The MDX is def. out of the question since you are going to have 4 children, and it'll be difficult to get the MDX to work with them.

A mini-van is probably your best bet like the Honda Odyssey, HOWVER you also may want to consider something like a used Chevy Tahoe (or the cadillac version, or GMC, etc). The middle seats are bucket seats with a easy to go through center area where the two older ones can easily sit in, and then the front seats can have the car seats for the twins! It's VERY spacious and from everything I've heard about them, they seem to be pretty rock solid.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
all stocker

Everyone who knows me knows how much I love my imports... but I must say, I do like the big SUVs like the Tahoe and Yukons.

I wouldn't mind getting one... but my wife is small. These trucks are much higher off the ground. She will have a tough time lifting the baby carriers up that high on a daily basis. And she doesn't like the idea of driving full size trucks. Our friends have a Tahoe... I love the spacious size. Maybe when they're older?

I think the Odyssey is pretty much our main choice... I haven't found that many 2011 EX-L models on the market... so I'll take my time. I still have until end of April to find something.

I've been on www.odyclub.com... definitely love to see those MDX sport rims on the Odysseys! Someone has the 19" ZDX rims on a WDP Odyssey... amazing!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats...I always thought it would be so cool to have twins, and even better if I was one...but....

Get the Odyssey, we had a '96 Dodge Grand Caravan back in the day and it was perfect for our family of 4 plus friends...
Attached Thumbnails MDX or ODYSSEY???  NEED ADVICE...-download.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Looks like you made up yur mind on the Odyssey.. Great choice like all the others have pointed out.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Rocket Scientist

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We traded out Odyssey for the MDX. The Odyssey is very comfortable to travel in. We didn't feel there were any compromises with the van, it served our needs well. The kids are gone and we just didn't need it anymore, so we moved into the MDX.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM
all stocker

Update: I found a potential Odyssey! But could use some opinions!

2011 Odyssey EX-L with RES
18k miles
one person lease, Honda certified
$27,894

It is located in central NJ... large Honda dealership. I am about one hour north. I asked if my mechanic could inspect it at his garage in Montclair... as expected, they were not willing to let me take it that far. They were open to letting me getting it inspected with a local mechanic near their dealership.

This has been discussed via phone only. I plan to run down there this week to take a closer look.

What are the opinions... should I still get it inspected by a third party mechanic, even if it is a CPO? I don't know if they had performed any services to qualify this vehicle as CPO. For all I know, they only washed it and stuck a price sign on the windshield.

Also... how low do you think I can start bargaining? I was thinking in the ballpark of $24,500. Is this unfair?

We're getting stressed about the twins situation and would prefer to get the van now versus later.

Thoughts?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

theoretically if the car is CPO it went through it's list of inspections to get it that way. usually they will perform the next maintenance service as part of the CPO.

ask to see the CPO list and the service invoice (all the services performed on the vehicle to get the CPO badge) so you know what they did. i have the CPO list and i saw the service invoice for CPO for my MDX. it gave me an idea of how much work they put into getting the car CPO'd.

certainly you can start at the price you stated above. start cross referencing all the sources (KBB, nada, and edmund's for retail values with and without the CPO). that'll give you a range to work with. also check your area for comparables for pricing.

keep in mind the CPO (recondtiioning the vehicle for CPO and the warranty coverage that comes with it) ups the price around $1500+ over a non-CPO.

i really haven't had any issues with my MDX mechanically speaking. just little things not related to major systems.

good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: brakes.

I have come to conclude that Honda/Acura brakes are engineered by weenies for weenies. And/or the women in my family have lead feet - for the brake pedal anyway.

I've replaced front discs and pads with EBC slotted and drilled rotors and semi-racing pads also from EBC on both an '09 Civic and a '10 MDX. So far so good ... but really too soon to tell. Talk to me in 30k miles.

Re: size matters.

Had a 2000 GMC Suburban 1500 until I traded on the 2010 MDX. Put over 100k on it. Overall, good ride. In many ways - except for my females in parking garages and other tight spaces - the 'Burban was easier to drive than the MDX. Definitely better visibility. That long wheel-base was a joy on the highway - stayed in the lane like it had rails. If friends have a Tahoe, get some wheel time for your concerned driver before you sell that frame short. I hauled a lot of kids and a lot of kiddie stuff a long way in that 'Burban. NEVER was able to overload it. But I see scarily overloaded MDX's all the time on that long run back from the beach. You've seen 'em too: back wheels splayed out, nose riding high. Just more than the platform was designed for. 20 lbs, 10 lb bag. Don't be that person. Overloaded vehicle, 10 hour drive - danger to everyone on the road.

If I was looking at 4 kids (I almost have my 2nd (AND LAST!!!) through high school - yee ha!), I'd be thinking big. If you are snowy people, 4wd becomes or might become again a valued feature. They made a LOT of suburbans. Chevy, GMC and Cadillac. Get one with some miles on it to take the sting out. If you end up going that way. I think they added the 6-speed tranny in '09. Wouldn't get one with fewer gears. The only one that puts the nav screen in the right place is the Escalade. If you are ok with all that chrome.

The MDX is a very sophisticated vehicle. But a 'Burban can do a number of things an MDX cannot. And don't get rid of it until they start driving themselves to college. At which point, they might want it. Or it's successor. (THEN you get that nice little TL!)

Congrats on the expanding family. (Start the college funds now.)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM
all stocker

Thanks everyone... I was ready with my decision yesterday. I drove down in the morning and it took an hour to get to the dealership.

Sat down with one of their sales guy and he goes to get the keys... it turns out there is already a deposit on it! Apparently it was sold to someone last night!!!

I was furious... they didn't have the decency to notify me, knowing well that i lived an hour away and it is very difficult for me to take time to run down there.

I don't know if it was a bait and switch tactic or poor communication between their teams. My line of work involves project/process management and let me tell you, it's very simple to set up a system of notifications.

Next, the asshole starts to suggest 2012 models. I look at him and said, "are you kidding me?" There was a reason why I'm looking at a pre-owned 2011 model.

I just left the dealership without making an unnecessary scene. I called their internet team to complain and they said their manager would get back to me. It's the next day and still no call.

Apparently they do not care to sell cars or establish new customer relations.

F*ck you Honda of Freehold. You just lost a customer and I can guarantee that none of my family and friends will shop from this dealership.

Sorry about venting guys...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Sensei
Thanks everyone... I was ready with my decision yesterday. I drove down in the morning and it took an hour to get to the dealership.

Sat down with one of their sales guy and he goes to get the keys... it turns out there is already a deposit on it! Apparently it was sold to someone last night!!!

I was furious... they didn't have the decency to notify me, knowing well that i lived an hour away and it is very difficult for me to take time to run down there.

I don't know if it was a bait and switch tactic or poor communication between their teams. My line of work involves project/process management and let me tell you, it's very simple to set up a system of notifications.

Next, the asshole starts to suggest 2012 models. I look at him and said, "are you kidding me?" There was a reason why I'm looking at a pre-owned 2011 model.

I just left the dealership without making an unnecessary scene. I called their internet team to complain and they said their manager would get back to me. It's the next day and still no call.

Apparently they do not care to sell cars or establish new customer relations.

F*ck you Honda of Freehold. You just lost a customer and I can guarantee that none of my family and friends will shop from this dealership.

Sorry about venting guys...
Well, if it was sold the night before, or if a deposit was made, is not really their fault IMO. I think you should have called the dealer before making your way there....but if I understood correctly your salesperson didn't even know the car was sold, so not sure things would have gone differently.
I'm not defending dealers, but don't make a quick judgement call just because of a miscommunication, for all I know they really suck, but this is not a reason to say they do.....
If I didn't make any sense, it could be explained by the amount of cough syrup I've had this morning.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

sorry to hear about your experience acura sensei.

certainly that sucks. perhaps your rant can be posted on dealerrater as well.

if the sales guy knew you were coming to talk about the car, then he should know whether the car was still available beforehand. i'd go a step above the internet sales manager and go straight to a sales manager or the GM. communication is key. did the sales guys even apologize for the miscommunication?

if he wanted to sell you a '12...tell him youi'll take it at the pricing of the CPO'd '11.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
When I read stories like these, it makes me appreciate my dealership even more! I am sorry to see you were given the shaft and hopefully, something good will come out of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
That's not an uncommon occurrence with "highway dealerships" in Northern and Central NJ.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM
all stocker

Just an update to my thread from last fall... I ended up purchasing a preowned 2010 Odyssey EX-L with NAV & RES in March. We've been very happy with the purchase and extra room! My kids love the van!

I picked up the five spoke TL rims from a fellow member here and just installed these today! Tires are BF Goodrich Radial T/A Spec 245/55R18.

Sorry, the van is extremely dirty... lol.

Also... I can't figure out how to link pics on here... but here is the link to my thread on the Odyssey forum.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-whe...-2010-ody.html