MDX Blender Actuator cost!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016 | 11:25 AM
10th Gear

MDX Blender Actuator cost!

My 2007 MDX does not blow hot air but cold air only! I had it diagnosed and the mechanic told me that the blender actuators need to be replaced. Winter is coming and I need how much will it cost me to repair. Thanks
Old 09-08-2016 | 06:40 PM

Its called the "Air Mix Motor" its not difficult to replace.
Old 09-08-2016 | 06:56 PM
10th Gear

[QUOTE=Skirmich;15845073]Its called the "Air Mix Motor" its not difficult to replace.[/

Thanks! Any idea how much if I order and the repair cost? I'm not a mechanic but worth a try if not difficult.
Old 09-08-2016 | 11:22 PM

IIRC the Air Mix Motor is quite expensive new around 200-300 bucks...
Your best bet is to find it online, I dunno what part number you need but from a junkyard you can find it quite cheap LINK> 09 15 Honda Pilot 07 13 Acura MDX Heater and COOLE Motor 80224 STX A01 | eBay
Old 09-13-2016 | 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Innoirving
My 2007 MDX does not blow hot air but cold air only! I had it diagnosed and the mechanic told me that the blender actuators need to be replaced. Winter is coming and I need how much will it cost me to repair. Thanks
Is the heat in the rear of the car working?

That doesn't make sense as the heat is controlled by air flowing through the heater core. The heater core gets hot only once the heater valve opens! If the heater valve does not open the core does not get hot and it cannot heat the air!!!!!

The heater valve is under the hood and is connected by a thin cable to the inside of the car. If the cable is broken or detached you'd get no heat no matter what as the hot engine coolant isn't getting to the HVAC system
Old 09-13-2016 | 01:34 AM

AFAIK the Rear Heat Exchanger is always on (Not controlled by the heater valve) as I get Hot Air from the rear Vent even when the A/C was previously on the cold side and Off.. Front Vents do not blow hot air like the rear vents.. This is also why the Center Console Box gets ludicrous hot.
Old 09-13-2016 | 02:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
Is the heat in the rear of the car working?

That doesn't make sense as the heat is controlled by air flowing through the heater core. The heater core gets hot only once the heater valve opens! If the heater valve does not open the core does not get hot and it cannot heat the air!!!!!

The heater valve is under the hood and is connected by a thin cable to the inside of the car. If the cable is broken or detached you'd get no heat no matter what as the hot engine coolant isn't getting to the HVAC system
any idea how much will it cost me? I'm not a mechanic but a basic idea will give me what's going on with my car. I had this checked before at an Acura dealer and I was not aware that both the AC and the heat were gone. I was suspicious that probably it was incidentally done by the dealer. Is this an MDX syndrome?
Old 09-13-2016 | 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Skirmich
AFAIK the Rear Heat Exchanger is always on (Not controlled by the heater valve) as I get Hot Air from the rear Vent even when the A/C was previously on the cold side and Off.. Front Vents do not blow hot air like the rear vents.. This is also why the Center Console Box gets ludicrous hot.
This makes so much sense. The other day I was going to retrieve something from the box and I was literally shocked at how hot it was. Like incredibly hot. I then thought to myself about using it to keep lunch hot or something (it is literally that hot).
Old 09-13-2016 | 02:58 PM

^^ Yep it seems to be a common issue on the MDX and Pilot since they used the same setup for the rear air vents (Except for the nice controls on the MDX, Pilot get Analog Knobs).
For example If you put A/C lets say on 70°F (Dunno what it shows on °C in Canada) the rear vents will blow warm air but the fronts will blow cold air.... I have to manually set the rear A/C to 67°F in order to get the same cold air than in the fronts.. This is because the rear heat exchanger is always on and the Air Mix vent in the Rear is either in COLD or HOT but not in the middle to mix the air like the fronts do, So when I set to 70°F the Rear automatically set to HOT and it blows warm air (Since its mixing with the Cold air in the Front Area).

It such a terrible design, My wife has complained several times about the extremely hot Center Box even when the A/C is completely OFF, Anti-Freeze is circulating in it. It seems the passenger side area of the box gets hotter than the drivers.. If you put your hand you will notice is uncomfortably hot even when the A/C is off.
Old 09-13-2016 | 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Originally Posted by Innoirving
any idea how much will it cost me? I'm not a mechanic but a basic idea will give me what's going on with my car. I had this checked before at an Acura dealer and I was not aware that both the AC and the heat were gone. I was suspicious that probably it was incidentally done by the dealer. Is this an MDX syndrome?
Really? I had no idea! According to the SM it looks like the pipes that feed the rear also feed the front and all is connected by the heater valve! Not doubting you, just looking for clarification so I can better understand as my MDX's box doesn't get warm even after a 7 hr trip with the rear A/C off.
Old 09-13-2016 | 06:08 PM

Dunno why yours do not get a hot box as its a Known Issue.
I searched the diagrams and I didn´t found a clear diagram to show the pipes path.. As I looked them its seems the front A/C box has the normal pipes from the engine but the Center Box gets the Anti Freeze from a different line?

This is the normal front box Heater Path which shows the heater valve:
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/a...er-hose-1-scat

These pipes are the ones that seems to feed the center heater box:
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/a...ater-hose-scat

I think the reason for this is that the REAR needs to have full control of heat to be a REAL 3rd Zone... If it was tied to the Front Valve it could only get heat if the Fronts have the Heat as well to open the valve, Since the rears don´t have control of the valve it cannot get heat until the fronts do.

Last edited by Skirmich; 09-13-2016 at 06:15 PM.