LaneWatch integration in MDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016 | 08:57 PM
7th Gear

LaneWatch integration in MDX

Hello All,
I'm looking to integrate Honda LaneWatch on my 2011 MDX. The wife parks it in tight parking lots and seldom (well you can fill in the blank)
Here's what I got:
- 3.5" screen lodged in the sunglass holder. (Velcro in the back of camera to keep it sturdy.
- Fully adjustable Rear view/Forward camera.
- Time Delay switch.

The way I plan to install it is:
- Use the time delay switch to trigger when i use the Right blinker.
- Set the trigger to go off 3-5 seconds after the the blinker has been turned OFF.

Issue:
- No wiring diagram

- Saw the 2 wires coming off the Right rear view mirror flasher (Purple and brown)
- Followed the wires to the first connector. From mirror to the wiring loom going thru the door (color changes)

I stopped there because I figured I'd find the diagram online.
- I need to pick up the flasher signal from the Right Turn signal so that I input it in the relay.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2016 | 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JP1580
Hello All,
I'm looking to integrate Honda LaneWatch on my 2011 MDX. The wife parks it in tight parking lots and seldom (well you can fill in the blank)
Here's what I got:
- 3.5" screen lodged in the sunglass holder. (Velcro in the back of camera to keep it sturdy.
- Time Delay switch.

- Use the time delay switch to trigger when i use the Right blinker.
- Set the trigger to go off 3-5 seconds after the the blinker has been turned OFF.

Issue:
- No wiring diagram

- Saw the 2 wires coming off the Right rear view mirror flasher (Purple and brown)
- Followed the wires to the first connector. From mirror to the wiring loom going thru the door (color changes)

I stopped there because I figured I'd find the diagram online.
- I need to pick up the flasher signal from the Right Turn signal so that I input it in the relay.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Someone on this forum did the exact same thing except they got it to play on the main navi screen. It was on their tl. Not sure who or what thread, but I seen it like a week ago.
Old 08-14-2016 | 10:44 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
Someone on this forum did the exact same thing except they got it to play on the main navi screen. It was on their tl. Not sure who or what thread, but I seen it like a week ago.
I searched and found it. They piggy-backed the flasher relay. I looked at the diagram which made me nervous. The OP mentioned that it needed modifications as the relay was not working well.
Old 08-14-2016 | 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JP1580
I searched and found it. They piggy-backed the flasher relay. I looked at the diagram which made me nervous. The OP mentioned that it needed modifications as the relay was not working well.
Oh sweet! Yeah sorry I literally had no idea where I seen it. I am just a little shocked that it is even possible to be honest.
Old 08-14-2016 | 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

I would be weary tapping the LED blinker wires as they may not supply enough power for the camera and it could damage something.

I'd tap the front blinker on the headlamp and lead it to a relay with a capacitor large enough to filter out the blinks from the blinking. A few basic calculations can help you figure out the size you need with the 12V Camera you'll be adding. This way once the blinker is off, the camera will stay on for as long as the capacitor can maintain it and it shuts off.

Use the turn signal as the trigger on the relay, use the input as the 12V source (you can tap the cig lighter in center console and run wire to mirror) and the output would be power wire to the camera. How exactly are you mounting the camera?
Old 08-15-2016 | 06:45 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
I would be weary tapping the LED blinker wires as they may not supply enough power for the camera and it could damage something.

I'd tap the front blinker on the headlamp and lead it to a relay with a capacitor large enough to filter out the blinks from the blinking. A few basic calculations can help you figure out the size you need with the 12V Camera you'll be adding. This way once the blinker is off, the camera will stay on for as long as the capacitor can maintain it and it shuts off.

Use the turn signal as the trigger on the relay, use the input as the 12V source (you can tap the cig lighter in center console and run wire to mirror) and the output would be power wire to the camera. How exactly are you mounting the camera?
Here's a bit more detail on how I plan to do it.
- 12V constant from fuse box (via a fuse tap)
- Bought this delay timer (Multifunctional Timer - Off Delay Timer Relay at 3rd Brake Flasher)
- The blinker will simply act as a trigger to the circuit to power the camera and display.

I spoke to a representative of the time delay circuit and they recommend I configure the circuit as such (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWz...ature=youtu.be)

As for installation pictures, I'll take pictures when I get a chance.
Old 08-20-2016 | 08:26 PM
7th Gear

OK Guys,
I thought I tapped the correct trigger for my relay.

Turns out, I am wrong.

Here's where I'm stuck.

The Right side mirror turn signal connectors are purple and light purple.

I was able to follow it all the way in the car (thru my multi-meter continuity function).
I tapped the signal, configure my relay. Only to find out that it did not trigger the signal.

I then, looked into tapping the signal relay but I don't thin going with that idea is the right way. (I don't want to mess this part off)
I started looking at the front signal to tap the light bulb. the wires are brown and black.

I'm unsure which one to tap.

I'm also thinking that the tail light might be ideal as well.

what do you guys think? I am unsure which wire to tap. I definitely want the (+).

I just need that one signal to make it work.

The other idea I'm toying around with is to put a proximity sensor or a door switch so that when I click the sunglass holder to come down, the system turns on.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2016 | 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

tap the front turn signal, the LED mirrors won't give off enough juice to trigger the relay.

Use your multimeter on the front turn signal plug to find the + wire

tap that and you'll be good

proximity sensor doesn't seem like a good idea
Old 08-28-2016 | 09:32 PM
7th Gear

LaneWatch integration on 2G MDX DIY

Guys,<br />I finally wrapped up the project.<br /><br />Issue:<br />- Integrate Honda LaneWatch on my wife's 2011 MDX. The wife parks it in tight parking lots and seldom (well you can fill in the blank)<br /><br />Here's what I purchased:<br />- 3.5" screen lodged in the sunglass holder. (Velcro in the back of camera to keep it sturdy).<br />- Fully adjustable Rear view/Forward camera.<br />- Time Delay switch.<br /><br />The way I plan to install it is:<br />- Use the time delay switch to trigger when I use the Right blinker.<br />- Set the trigger to go off 3-5 seconds after the the blinker has been turned OFF.<br /><br />Here's a bit more detail on how I plan to do it.<br />- 12V constant from fuse box (via a fuse tap). Unused fuse 23 running a 5A.<br />- Bought this delay timer (<a href="http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/timer-c-68/multifunctional-5v20v-time-delay-relay-timer-5-amp-p-192.html">Multifunctional Timer - Off Delay Timer Relay at 3rd Brake Flasher</a>)<br />- The blinker will simply act as a trigger to the circuit to power the camera and display.<br /><br />I spoke to a representative of the time delay circuit and they recommend I configure the circuit as such (<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWzULqf2gs&amp;feature=youtu.be">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWz...ature=youtu.be</a>)<br /><br />Pictures:<br />1- camera mounted on rearview mirror<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160821_094959.jpg<br />2- signal tap - act as the trigger to the relay.<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160821_094942.jpg<br />3- closeup camera mounted on rearview mirror fully integrated. I cracked the glass by accident (looking into replacing).<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160828_211501.jpg<br />4- full view of the camera installed on rearview mirror. I wanted to show you guys how small these things are packaged.<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160828_211516.jpg<br />5- 3.5" display installed in the sunglass holder. the idea is: if she gets in a tight spot, she opens the holder, turns her right signal and voila: the whole side of the car is fully visible.<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160828_211617.jpg<br />6- picture taken at 9:30PM to show low light resolution.<br />LaneWatch integration in MDX-20160828_211633.jpg<br /><br />I do have a video but I am unable to upload it.
Old 08-28-2016 | 09:43 PM
7th Gear

Guys,
I finally wrapped up the project.

Issue:
- Integrate Honda LaneWatch on my wife's 2011 MDX. The wife parks it in tight parking lots and seldom (well you can fill in the blank)

Here's what I purchased:
- 3.5" screen lodged in the sunglass holder. (Velcro in the back of camera to keep it sturdy).
- Time Delay switch.

- Use the time delay switch to trigger when I use the Right blinker.

Here's a bit more detail on how I plan to do it.
- 12V constant from fuse box (via a fuse tap). Unused fuse 23 running a 5A.
- Bought this delay timer (Multifunctional Timer - Off Delay Timer Relay at 3rd Brake Flasher
- The blinker will simply act as a trigger to the circuit to power the camera and display.

I spoke to a representative of the time delay circuit and they recommend I configure the circuit as such (
)

Pictures:
1- camera mounted on rearview mirror

2- signal tap - act as the trigger to the relay.

3- closeup camera mounted on rearview mirror fully integrated. I cracked the glass by accident (looking into replacing).

4- full view of the camera installed on rearview mirror. I wanted to show you guys how small these things are packaged.

5- 3.5" display installed in the sunglass holder. the idea is: if she gets in a tight spot, she opens the holder, turns her right signal and voila: the whole side of the car is fully visible.

6- picture taken at 9:30PM to show low light resolution.

I do have a video but I am unable to upload it.

To-Do list:
- Find a new rear view mirror.
- Find a different fuse tap. I used the #23 which I thought was an ACC line. I am just not convinced that's the case.
Old 08-28-2016 | 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

you can buy rear view mirrors with a screen built into it so you eliminate the one in the sunglass holder. Do you have nav? You can buy a video input module to put your own video input in for the lanewatch camera
Old 08-29-2016 | 09:13 PM
7th Gear

you can buy rear view mirrors with a screen built into it so you eliminate the one in the sunglass holder. Do you have nav? You can buy a video input module to put your own video input in for the lanewatch camera
I meant to say side view mirror.
It's the base model.
Old 09-01-2016 | 08:55 AM
Racer

Do you have nav? You can buy a video input module to put your own video input in for the lanewatch camera
Is there a reliable module available, any links?