Install PA15-ACUXL into 2007 MDX with XM-Navi

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install PA15-ACUXL into 2007 MDX with XM-Navi

I worked up the courage this last week to install a PA15-ACUXL iPod/Iphone adapter into my 2007 Acura MDX (Tech Package). Unless you are obsessed with hiding all aspects of the wiring, this turned out to be a pretty simple operation...30-60 minutes max. Here's what I did:

1) Located the XM receiver:
  • Remove cubby lid from trunk
  • Removed two hinges (one screw) each
  • Carefully removed the cubby tray
  • Found XM receiver under the subwoofer
2) Patched in the cable to the receiver.
  • Turned out to be the left plug on my receiver, not the right one as indicated in the "user manual" for the adapter.
  • Be careful, you need to fully depress the latching pin on the top of the XM receiver plug to remove it. Don't pry...
3) Ran the cable above the carpet to the rear right passenger door. This is practically invisible to anyone sitting in the car since it runs under the rear 3 seats.

4) Removed the bottom door-well trim from the right passenger rear side and placed cable into the "tray." I replaced the trim piece with the cable exiting from the front of the trim piece and running under the front passenger seat to the center console. Yes...a little cable show but hardly worth worrying about. The trim piece removes easily and snaps back into place easily as well. Just be careful...use a wide "blade" of some sort.

5) Snap open the passenger-side console side piece starting at the front (easy to do) and open it as wide as possible. You probably can't take it all out because of the passenger seat. Pull the cable into the console area.

6) Using a dremel or some other such tool, cut a slot into the side cubby tray and feed the cable through in into the cubby. Be careful here...you are working close to finished surfaces in a confined space...easy to cause damage. You might want to drape the top/side of the console with a cloth or something to prevent the marring of surfaces.

7) Attach the charger cable to the converter unit.

7) Adhere the converter unit to the side of the cubby with double-sided velcro (this enables you to remove the converter unit if it needs a flash upgrade).

Done!

Works great and looks great. The only issue I have with the PA15-ACUXL is that when an iPhone is plugged in, the phone tells me to put it into airplane mode. I select no. The phone charges and is fully integrated into the Navi and radio display. I am told that this "airplane mode" thing is an Apple issue. While an annoyance, it still works great.

Final note:

You might want to get everything in place before putting the trim pieces back into place. I wound up having too much extra cable in the console. I pulled the excess cable back into the trunk cubby, tied it off and anchored with plastic ties.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Epic first post! Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The PA15-ACUXL is a great setup and easy to install. I chose to keep everything in the cargo space in the back. I double velcroed the converter box to the right of the jack and then double velcroed the dock plug onto the left side of the jack where there is a small flat space.

But I agree the manual leaves much to be desired.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Excuse the noob question... is this the same application for an 06?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
USA Spec is the name of the company, and they make an adapter for the 1st gen MDX, but this isn't it. In fact non-nav 2nd gen MDX's have to get a different adapter as well.

I'd search on google or ebay for the USA Spec in question.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on PA15ACUXL Install

Thanks Chris!

You mentioned that you ran the cable through the trim. Is this the cable that comes with the unit? Is the cable that long for you to stretch all the way to the front?

Thanks

One last question.

Originally Posted by chris_l
I worked up the courage this last week to install a PA15-ACUXL iPod/Iphone adapter into my 2007 Acura MDX (Tech Package). Unless you are obsessed with hiding all aspects of the wiring, this turned out to be a pretty simple operation...30-60 minutes max. Here's what I did:

1) Located the XM receiver:
  • Remove cubby lid from trunk
  • Removed two hinges (one screw) each
  • Carefully removed the cubby tray
  • Found XM receiver under the subwoofer
2) Patched in the cable to the receiver.
  • Turned out to be the left plug on my receiver, not the right one as indicated in the "user manual" for the adapter.
  • Be careful, you need to fully depress the latching pin on the top of the XM receiver plug to remove it. Don't pry...
3) Ran the cable above the carpet to the rear right passenger door. This is practically invisible to anyone sitting in the car since it runs under the rear 3 seats.

4) Removed the bottom door-well trim from the right passenger rear side and placed cable into the "tray." I replaced the trim piece with the cable exiting from the front of the trim piece and running under the front passenger seat to the center console. Yes...a little cable show but hardly worth worrying about. The trim piece removes easily and snaps back into place easily as well. Just be careful...use a wide "blade" of some sort.

5) Snap open the passenger-side console side piece starting at the front (easy to do) and open it as wide as possible. You probably can't take it all out because of the passenger seat. Pull the cable into the console area.

6) Using a dremel or some other such tool, cut a slot into the side cubby tray and feed the cable through in into the cubby. Be careful here...you are working close to finished surfaces in a confined space...easy to cause damage. You might want to drape the top/side of the console with a cloth or something to prevent the marring of surfaces.

7) Attach the charger cable to the converter unit.

7) Adhere the converter unit to the side of the cubby with double-sided velcro (this enables you to remove the converter unit if it needs a flash upgrade).

Done!

Works great and looks great. The only issue I have with the PA15-ACUXL is that when an iPhone is plugged in, the phone tells me to put it into airplane mode. I select no. The phone charges and is fully integrated into the Navi and radio display. I am told that this "airplane mode" thing is an Apple issue. While an annoyance, it still works great.

Final note:

You might want to get everything in place before putting the trim pieces back into place. I wound up having too much extra cable in the console. I pulled the excess cable back into the trunk cubby, tied it off and anchored with plastic ties.