HELP ASAP Is this a good deal 2012/Advance

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
HELP ASAP Is this a good deal 2012/Advance

HELP ASAP Is this a good deal
Hi All - New to the forum and am thinking of purchasing a 2012 MDX Advance with Entertainment System. Aspen White Pearl II/Milano Brown Interior, 50K miles and they are asking 36.9K am going to offer 35K. Super clean exterior and interior. No chips, dings, candy wrappers inside etc.....The service record are all online, look good and maintenance was all done as scheduled. CARFAX shows all to be well.

Is this a good deal? How are the electronic goodies like iPhone integration, stereo, voice control etc......

Car is in Dallas and I live in Santa fe, New Mexico and a friend is going to go and personally check it out tomorrow as pictures are just not enough when buying from a distance. Anything I should be aware of with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance.......
Old 11-14-2014, 08:19 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I live in ABQ, NM, and I purchased a 11 MDX Adv/Ent in Jan/14 in Pueblo, CO, for about the same price. My MDX had 30,000 miles and still under the standard 4/50,000 basic warranty; which was good because:

- replaced both of my front endlinks on the front stabilizer bar because of a torn boot on one
- replaced both front magnetic shocks because of knocking over bumps/dips
- replace center arm rest cup holder in 2nd row because it was stuck closed
- adjusted HID headlights
- got an alignment, it was way off. The MDX rides so much better afterwards.
- passenger side puddle lights under door were not working
- replaced OEM tires because they were about 5/32nd and had a lot of cracks in the sidewalls
- replaced driver 1 key fob because the buttons took 2-3 times to respond
- 6AT reflash (which helped with mpgs)

Everything (except the alignment and tires) was covered by the warranty. If I had to pay out-of-pocket, it would have been +$3500 for repairs (endlinks/shocks biggest expense). The cost to me was just time for my MDX because of the basic warranty. I went ahead and purchased an 5yr/120,000 extended warranty for $2400 (since I was under 50,000 miles) mostly because of the magnetic shocks. The shocks can cost around $700 each +alignment+labor to install if they go out. I expect they will in the next 70,000 miles I will keep the MDX.

The bad thing about the Dallas MDX is you are out of warranty because you are over 50,000 miles and I don't think you can get an Acura Care extended warranty because of the same reason (maybe 3rd party; but, read the fine print of what is covered).

The MDX is an excellent hwy vehicle because of its smooth ride, tons of tech, safety features, and decent mpgs at 80 mph. The tech is easy to use and works very well with 3 iPhone 4S we have sync'd to it (bluetooth audio, upload phone address book, streaming radio work good, etc...). Don't get much use from weather/traffic because we don't get much weather/traffic in NM; still cool to show off to folks.

The MDX is almost too big sometimes for downtown Santa Fe city driving. A lot of tight turns, narrow streets, narrow parking spots in downtown Santa Fe when I drive my MDX down there. The extra wide body, mirrors don't move in automatically, limited visibility (BSI helps), and longer size can feel like a bull in a china shop sometimes. My mpgs is usually around 14-16 mpgs with straight city driving. Easier for me to drive/park my RDX in Santa Fe. Not an issue with the MDX in Denver, El Paso, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Phoenix or Las Vegas other than crappy mpgs.

There should be a steady stream of MDXs coming off lease (12 off lease now and 13 starting in 2015/2016). I would look for an Advance model under 50,000 miles just in-case you discover issues after driving a while. Montano Acura in ABQ has an excellent service department.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure what the used marked is like in TX (I live in UpstateNY), which will determine what you would end up paying for your MDX, but if it is of help… I just bought a CPO 2011 MDX Advance/Entertainment black on black for my wife last summer (it also came with a few accessories already installed [e.g.,advance running boards, parking sensors, wood-grain steering wheel, and shifter,roof rails, etc.]). Mine had 24k miles on it when I purchased it and I paid $33.5k(the asking price was $36k). Mine was just as you are describing, extremely clean and with all available records (and no accidents), plus it was from a southern state (it hadn’t been exposed to snow/salt – no trace of rust).

I would suggest that you look around for other similarvehicles (w/ similar trim and mileage) in that area and compare pricing. If theprices are on par with your vehicle, then you’ll know that what you are payingis fair. However, based on the mileage, it seems that the asking price for your MDX is a bit high. Also, car gurus could be a useful tool for comparing prices.

Regarding all the electronics…they have worked seamlesslywith my apple devices (iPhones and iPads) so I don’t think you will have aproblem.

btw – I am very happy with my purchase…so I think the MDX isa good choice.

Good luck!

D.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I would assume location and number of available used MDX's in your area play a factor in the pricing? Regardless, an Aspen White Pearl exterior with Milano Brown interior are extremely rare to find. When I searched my area for one a couple of years ago, only one was available within a 250 mile radius. Good luck and hopefully the dealership will lower the price for you.