Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluids

Hi all,

I drive a 2004 Acura MDX with the Touring and navi package. I bought the truck with 139k a while back. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I never got around to checking fluids and whatnot beyond engine oil changes.

Today I drove the truck to run an errand. I noticed shifting between reverse and drive is rather slow. Slow as in the truck takes a good 2 to 3 seconds between shifting into gear, and the truck actually engaging the gear before I can drive off. The transmission isn't slipping whatsoever, it drives well. But this slow shift has me concerned.

The person whom I bought this truck used didn't produce any maintenance records. Yes, I know. That's a big NO-NO. But I needed a truck right away at the time, and I paid a very good price for it in my opinion.

Today the truck has 144k. From the way it drives, I can tell some drivetrain maintenance had to be done to it before. But I also read the maintenance schedule for this truck, and transmission fluid service was due 44k ago. Yikes!

So..... Finally to the point of this topic.... Not knowing any maintenance history of this truck, is it a good idea to change fluids now? I wanted to do transfer case, transmission, and rear differential fluids. Unless those were done before, this is severely overdue maintenance, and I would like to keep this truck for a while longer.

I appreciate your help, and thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
YES!
Keeping old ATF is a domestic Myth.. Hondas/Acuras really suffer with old oil.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
yes, change ALL fluids!!!
you want NEW fluids for their protective properties.

just like engine oil; transfer case, transmission and differential fluilds wear out over time from heat.
also, brake fluid is hygroscopic...which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere. change that while you're at it.
get coolant changed as well.