F-009: Issues with parchment leather & blue jeans? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010 | 01:06 PM
9th Gear

F-009: Issues with parchment leather & blue jeans? Anyone?

Hi all, first post:

Trying to pull the trigger on an 11 MDX. Dealer says they discontinued the parchment interiors in 11 due to color transfer from blue jeans. True, or did he say that because he doesn't have any parchment in stock?

Also, anyone have an umber interior? Looks great in book, but haven't seen in person.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2010 | 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saltman
color transfer from blue jeans
That is easily removed with some leather cleaner...

I think parchment is only available with the bronze exterior on tech models.
Old 12-13-2010 | 01:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I don't know, transfer is pretty hard to remove. If you take care of your leather from day 1 with a proper cleaner and protectant, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-13-2010 | 02:00 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 007Acura
That is easily removed with some leather cleaner...

I think parchment is only available with the bronze exterior on tech models.

I think you're right. If you get Advance package you can get white exterior/parchment interior, but I've yet to see one.
Old 12-13-2010 | 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Our 10 MDX has parchment leather. We have had it only 5 months but no issues as of yet. However I have an 05 TL with camel leather (a bit darker than parchment) and over time there definitely has been a fair amount of color transfer to the seat back from me wearing a black leather jacket. Leather cleaner doesn't remove all of it that's for sure
Old 12-13-2010 | 07:50 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 2thguy
Our 10 MDX has parchment leather. We have had it only 5 months but no issues as of yet. However I have an 05 TL with camel leather (a bit darker than parchment) and over time there definitely has been a fair amount of color transfer to the seat back from me wearing a black leather jacket. Leather cleaner doesn't remove all of it that's for sure
Thanks for your post. We really like the parchment, but were a little hesitant after the salesman's comment about color transfer. We both wear jeans most of the time so we could see that being an issue.
Old 12-13-2010 | 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I have parchment in my '10. No problems so far at 6 months. Parchment has never been a big seller for Acura. Most people prefer gray/taupe or black/ebony leather. P.S. The salesperson is full of it and it's not blue in color. However, new unwashed jeans (especially indigo) will transfer color to cloth, leather or pleather if the seat or jeans are wet; that's why jean manufacturers recommend washing your jeans before them wearing them the first time.

Last edited by Rexorg; 12-13-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2010 | 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

There is an issue with any sort of leather that's light colored and jeans. The best thing to do is properly clean and condition the leather. I use the Leatherique system and it's amazing on my Taupe leather, Ivory leather, and Quartz leather!
Old 12-13-2010 | 10:23 PM
9th Gear

P.S. The salesperson is full of it and it's not blue in color.

I don't think he meant the parchment was blue to begin with, just that it picked up blue from people's jeans worse than the other leathers. Thanks for your vote of confidence in the Parchment, we really like the lighter seats and darker carpet in the Parchment.
Old 12-13-2010 | 10:25 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
There is an issue with any sort of leather that's light colored and jeans. The best thing to do is properly clean and condition the leather. I use the Leatherique system and it's amazing on my Taupe leather, Ivory leather, and Quartz leather!
Amen on the cleaning & conditioning. Makes a huge difference.
Old 12-14-2010 | 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saltman
P.S. The salesperson is full of it and it's not blue in color.

I don't think he meant the parchment was blue to begin with, just that it picked up blue from people's jeans worse than the other leathers. Thanks for your vote of confidence in the Parchment, we really like the lighter seats and darker carpet in the Parchment.
What I was trying to say was that the salesperson/dealer was full of crap (usually not blue in color) about the reason parchment was not an option with most Acura exterior colors. S/he was not going to tell you up front that parchment is not a popular color for leather seats now and that the resale value of an MDX with it will be lower. As far as your initial question about umber, I have not seen an Acura with it, but I have in other cars, mostly in sports car. If you like it go ahead and buy a vehicle with it, but remember in most cases you are going to get less at trade-in time. The same goes for certain exterior colors, like brown, green, bronze and "electric colors". However, even black is a hard sell in Florida and the Southwest, just like white is here in Indiana.
Old 12-14-2010 | 02:21 PM
9th Gear

dealer was full of crap (usually not blue in color)

Ha! totally missed your joke, my bad. Good point about resale value.

I went to a dealer this morning in California (here on a business trip) and parked next to a MDX with parchment a few years old and saw the blue on the drivers' bolster first-hand. Took a pic but as a new member I can't post yet. Disclaimer: the car was really dirty and didn't look properly maintained. I'll bet leather cleaner/conditioner goes a long way.