engine light is on -about how long should it take to diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine light is on -about how long should it take to diagnose?

I dropped my Acura MDX (2004) off to test - the engine light came on for the third time in the last few months. First time, gas cap wasn't tightened - tightened that, and the light went out after several days. Second time a month or so later, bad valve (2004 is the only model with this type of valve, I was told) so replaced that.

Pretty low mileage - less than 120,000. I've already spent $1,600 plus in the last few months on repairs. I do trust my mechanic. I had an appt. at 9:00 for it to be checked. They're still working on it, and they still don't know what the problem is. How long does it take to smoke test - ? I've called twice - no news yet - so it has been almost four hours. (They're 90 min away from me in heavy traffic - was hoping to get it back soon). I'm hoping smoke testing doesn't translate into labor charges for the hours it's running - not sure how closely the mechanic has to work with that. (does he just leave it running, and then come back and check on it?) thanks!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,694 Likes on 6,708 Posts
Maybe buy an OBD scanner and check to see what code it is so you don't have to drive to your mechanic
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM
8th Gear

thanks - but

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Maybe buy an OBD scanner and check to see what code it is so you don't have to drive to your mechanic
too late for that - it has already sat at the mechanic's since 9:00. How hard can it be?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by catonfour
too late for that - it has already sat at the mechanic's since 9:00. How hard can it be?
you're telling us of two different test.
at first you said engine light test, and then later you said...smoke test..whatever that is.

so, depending on what kind of test and how busy the shop is...will give you your answer on how long it should take.
Shops dont deal with 1 car a day. they have MULTIPLE cars that need to be worked on daily.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM
8th Gear

Right. but I was one of their limited 9:00 appointments - they start working on those cars first. Guess I shouldn't worry - they've told me before that a smoke test is $100, and they credit it to the repair if something is wrong.
Smoke test is their verbiage. Perhaps smoke test and engine light test are two names for the same thing. I ran across this: "Even a tiny leak, as small as 0.020 of an inch, can degrade engine performance, compromise driveability and turn on your Check Engine light." and "Leaks are not just a problem for the Saturday mechanic. According to Zachary Parker, president of Redline Detection, which makes the Smoke Pro leak-detection system, "modern cars use engine vacuum to control an amazing number of things, and diagnosing leaks is a major issue for service technicians." Parker urges them to use his company's smoke machines on every car they service: "A large proportion of them have minor, otherwise undetected vacuum leaks," he says. Of course Parker is in the business of selling leak-detection equipment, but don't feel bad if you get stumped and have to seek professional service." and "When one of those hoses or fittings or joints starts to leak, the problems can range from an erratic idle to a sudden decrease in fuel economy to a Check Engine light. Some leaks—such as ones at the brake booster—are easy to detect, but others can be notoriously elusive. We're here to help." all from popular mechanics dot com. I thought you hooked a diagnostic machine to a car and got a code - perhaps harder than that.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
they could also have backed logged cars from YESTERDAY!
so even tho, you might be one of their first appointments of the day, they still might be working on cars from previous days.

also, if that is what kind of test they are doing; i'd stop going to that shop. you went in to see what was up with the check engine light...which you could have stopped by an autozone to do..
and now they are performing some of kind of smoke test for absolutely no reason at all.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM
8th Gear

oh, they're not that kind of place. They take reservations for the cars they service - so that's not an issue. I totally trust them, and have been using them for 15-plus years. Just frustrated that this light keeps coming on - it's a great driving car; I'd like to keep it at least a few more years. But if it starts to get too expensive, I have to rethink it.

Taking the system apart and putting it back together solved the problem - so something is sticking. He didn't even charge me for the test and all the time he spent on it.

I was just curious to know what others' experiences with the engine light have been. Funny how cars get a personality and quirks of their own at a certain age/mileage. I also like to educate myself on how these things work.