DIY Replacement of a Bank 1 Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Replacement of a Bank 1 Cat?

How hard of a job is it to replace the Bank1 cat on a 2005 Acura MDX? I have DIY change brakes, calipers, and strut assembles before, though never played with the exhaust. From what I understand you should only use an OEM cat, especially as I live in NY state.

I am getting the P0420 CEL off and on, when the weather is warm it stays off, as I mentioned in another thread. From all the threads that someone was a Honda Tech, they said the code 99% of the time comes from a failed cat. I am planning on selling the vehicle within the year and I don't want to to hack it. On a side note, there is no discernible "rotten egg" smell and there is a low metallic rattle that sounds like it is coming from the exhaust at low speeds.

I got a quotes for Labor only and they quoted me $321 and another shop $440. So I am getting sick of spending money on this vehicle. I will sell it for about the same price I put into the past year and that is not including this Cat. ><

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Are you sure there is no 02 Sensor code? sometimes the ECU will throw a bonus code with 02 Failure which is cheaper to fix and replace.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see any other codes and it clears itself every so often in winter, usually when the weather goes above 40*. I watched a few you tube videos yesterday and decided to get a OBDII that can let me read o2 sensor voltages and also a IR thermometer to take the temp of the cat. I don't mind having the extras tools and if my cat isn't getting hot, then it might be shot.

Also looked into replacing the cat, officially it looks like they remove the passenger CV axle. At least that is what people who said did it on a ridgeline and a guy from a Pilot did. Though some people were able to do it w/o having to remove the axle. Rear Catalytic Converter Removal - Page 2 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

At least the MDX shares a lot in common with the pilots and ridge lines. There are more of them and I am guess if someone has a pickup, they tend to be more of a hands on person to begin with.