D5 Light Blinking, Check Engine, VSM Light and Triangle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D5 Light Blinking, Check Engine, VSM Light and Triangle

I have a 2004 MDX with 103,000 miles. The timing belt, water pump and pulleys were replaced at 98,000. My D5 light just started blinking today along with the check engine light lit and the VSM and Triangle lit.

Help. What does this mean?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
D5 light blinking means a transmission issue, Check Engine light will usually come on with a transmission issue. The other lights may be caused by the transmission issue as well.

OR

a mouse chewed up some important wires!

I'd suggest getting the check engine light code read along with the transmission code and go from there.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM
4th Gear

Thank you. It is also having trouble shifting-- does not move through the gears.

I have an appointment today at the nearest Acura dealer.

I just returned from driving to Colorado and back with no problems. This came out of nowhere.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

Do you, anyone have the phone # for Acura USA/California service, just in case?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM
4th Gear

@csmeance: ended up being a loose wire on the clutch solenoid. $155 later my car runs with no lights flashing and I got a decent detailing, too.

Whew. Thanks for you help.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2005 Acura MDX with 135K miles and the car is running great with no acceleration or shifting problems. However, a VTM-4 light came on. When I turned the car off and restarted it, the VTM-4 light went off and the check engine light came on and it's staying on. It's not blinking though. Strange that it would come on with no apparent mechanical problems. I had the valves adjusted at 100K miles and the engine is very quiet. The valves sound fine. Guess it could be emissions as well. Don't want to take it to the dealer when it's something I could easily fix. I did take out the MAP sensor to inspect it about a week ago but didn't experience any problems after I put it back. I'll go get the codes read as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by bvogel7475
I have a 2005 Acura MDX with 135K miles and the car is running great with no acceleration or shifting problems. However, a VTM-4 light came on. When I turned the car off and restarted it, the VTM-4 light went off and the check engine light came on and it's staying on. It's not blinking though. Strange that it would come on with no apparent mechanical problems. I had the valves adjusted at 100K miles and the engine is very quiet. The valves sound fine. Guess it could be emissions as well. Don't want to take it to the dealer when it's something I could easily fix. I did take out the MAP sensor to inspect it about a week ago but didn't experience any problems after I put it back. I'll go get the codes read as well. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Best thing to do is get the code read and report back!
Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pulled the codes and they were all cylinder misfire codes. I put some Lucas Fuel Treatment in the tank a few days before the check engine light came on and didn't add fuel after I poured the stuff in. After 3 different drives and some fuel, the light went out. I also bought a basic ODBCII code reader and cleared the misfire codes. Haven't had any problems since. If they come back up, I'll start with the EGR sensor and then the O2 sensor.