AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   "Check Battery Sensor" - MDX 2010 error message (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/check-battery-sensor-mdx-2010-error-message-777466/)

parism 05-25-2010 09:36 AM

"Check Battery Sensor" - MDX 2010 error message

This error message "Check Battery Sensor" appears on my new MDX 2010 with only 3,000 miles. I checked the battery there was no corrosion. Have anyone experienced this error message? Any suggestion?

thanks.

black label 05-25-2010 09:54 AM

My guess is that your battery was substantially drained when on the dealers lot and never got a proper trickle charge before you took delivery. The otehr possibility is that there is some sort of parasitic draw that is slowly discharging the battery that is causing the warning light to come on.

Bring it to the dealer and get it taken care of, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

parism 05-26-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by black label (Post 12043181)
My guess is that your battery was substantially drained when on the dealers lot and never got a proper trickle charge before you took delivery. The otehr possibility is that there is some sort of parasitic draw that is slowly discharging the battery that is causing the warning light to come on.

Bring it to the dealer and get it taken care of, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the reply.
I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they did checkup and said the battery was OK and it is safe to drive, it might be the sensors. So they ordered the sensors. I have to wait to see if changing the sensors will solve the problem.

Anybody has similar experience? I was a bit surprised to get such a problem after just 3K miles.

thanks.

JZDX 05-26-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by parism (Post 12046385)
Thanks for the reply.
I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they did checkup and said the battery was OK and it is safe to drive, it might be the sensors. So they ordered the sensors. I have to wait to see if changing the sensors will solve the problem.

Anybody has similar experience? I was a bit surprised to get such a problem after just 3K miles.

thanks.

Im sure there is like a .000000025% chance for their solid state sensors to fail in production .. suprisingly it made it past inspections and diagnostic testing. Let them swap it.. then go play the lotto.. maybe you'll hit the odds again LOL :wish:

Enjoy your ride, the MDX I test drove was really nice.

Ssandra74 01-20-2011 12:13 PM

My 2010 MDX has 3100 miles on it. It has the Advanced package but not the entertainment package. I received a "low battery" warning in Dec that would come and go intermittently. Took it to dealer and they said battery was fine but they replaced it anyway. Two weeks ago I received a "change battery" message and took it back to dealership. They tested it, and it was fine. No parasitic draws found. They've never said anything about the possibility of the problem being faulty sensors. Today, the "change battery" message came on AGAIN (and this time I photographed it so the dealer can't quibble about what the message actually said!). It goes back to the dealer tomorrow. The service advisor has no idea what the problem is but is supposed to call Acura Tech Support once he has my vehicle. I called Acura Client Services this morning to discuss with them, and the rep admitted they're having lots of issues with "battery charge low" warnings, but she, too, seemed baffled by my "change battery" messages. Hope they come up with something soon. I'm really not appreciating having a brand new vehicle that I can't trust to start up on me!

db22 01-21-2011 07:45 AM

I have 2010 adv ent 8k miles. I have opened the driver door and on about 6 or 7 occasions it dings at me with a yellow warning on the MID stating batt low and to turn off all electical equipment. The car starts fine and there has never been any indication of an issue except for the warning. There seems to be a pattern here?

dominik331 01-22-2011 09:59 AM

Very common problem on the 2010+, no solution that I know of yet, but looks like it could be a sensor last time I checked this thread

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...dx-2010-a.html

littlej72 01-23-2011 08:59 AM

There are sensor issues with SOME early 2010 models getting a specific message. The turn off electrical items is just a normal thing if you cycle the key on or just open the door without starting and the battery is a little low, lights on it will come up basicly' telling you to run the engine if your going to have the electrical system active, you would be surprised at the drain that occurs when you "wake up" the vehicle by opening the door. The other messages depends on the specific situation, but to my knowledge it's something Honda is working on tweaking, none or very few of these have an actual charging/starting problem it's just a bit of a flawed sensor logic. So you get some false indicators, I would expect some sort of improvement on it or them just removing it all together. Honestly I personally have a 2008 and don't feel I need any indication of state of battery/charging other than the normal battery light and the sound it makes upon start-up. IMO a case of a truly unescarry gadget that causes more problems than it solves, kinda like a car alarm you ignore at the wrong time because it false alarms so much? hehe.

acutech 01-23-2011 11:31 PM

The 2010 MDX has a new battery monitoring system, attached to the neg. terminal. This system is sensitive, and can give low battery message with alot of accessories on. Seat heaters draw an incredible amount of amperage, with them both on, lights, radio, A/C running, the draw can be enough to turn on this warning., if you are stopped and idling alot. Nothing wrong is happening, it's like littlej72 wrote, maybe it is more info than we need to know. MDX's that are parked for weeks, can give this message, too, just from the slight drain no the battery over time.

db22 01-28-2011 09:32 AM

Any more news on a solution? I see a similar thread on the ZDX forum that mentions the MDX. It seems that Acura know about the issue but I still have not heard of the re-programming necessary to eliminate the false warning.

robert hu 02-01-2011 09:45 PM

is everyone experiencing this problem only when the headlight is on auto.?
on my 2010 mdx showed a couple times about" low battery charge,, shut off all electrical devices" but with the headlight on off position...so far hasn't happen yet....

Litt 02-01-2011 11:37 PM

I had a low battery message occasionally, but the battery seams to be fine.

old coastie 02-02-2011 11:25 AM

"check battery sensor" tsb

This light came on on our new ZDX (~2400mi). I searched the MDX TSB thread and found a service bulletin: 10-012, for 2010 MDX and ZDX models that deals with this. I took the car to the dealer along with the service bulletin number and they fixed it. It took about one hour from the time I handed the key fob to the service adviser until our car was sitting in the drive out lane. No charge, under warranty. This bulletin is only for "Check Battery Sensor" not "Battery Charge Low" nor "Replace Battery" MIDs.
The bulletin directs that the negative battery cable be replaced and that the battery sensor fuse is the correct type and not blown.

RACINGHART03 02-12-2011 10:24 PM

The battery low indicator is designed to come on periodically until the battery has recharged to a sufficient state of charge. If it annoys you unplug the sensor and plug it back in. That usually does the trick till the next time. Kinda a lame idea IMHO.