battery dead after shift interlock recall repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery dead after shift interlock recall repair

I am the original owner of a 2004 MDX, 72K miles, just had the shift interlock repaired under recall. They did the (expected) inspection too, and I politely declined their suggested repairs. (I know the timing belt, water pump will need replacing - my trused mechanic told me to wait until 100K, but I am nearing my personal risk threshold on these).

When I picked my car up, they had the AC fan cranked all the way up and the temp set at 61. odd. I made one quick stop on the way home. Tried to unlock it and start it today, and even the key fob wouldn't work to unlock. No noise at all when I turned the key in the ignition. Battery? - no, a good interstate battery just a year or two old. Charge was non-existent, so charging it now, and it fires up, so not a fuse.

Should I do a parasitic draw test somewhere? (not the dealer) I called them, they told me perhaps it's my starter (I told them no - I have an indicator on my dash for that, and it hasn't gone off). I've had a dead battery before, but they usually give some sounds before dying completely. I didn't leave any doors open, no lights on in the car - nothing. The dealer told me they didn't have to deal with the electrical system for the recall repair. I find it all really odd! This is the first recall repair I've ever had to make. I did check the fuses - the one for the battery looks fine. Guess it may be time to replace fuses, just to be on the safe side? Ideas on what could be happening here? thnx! Just way too coincidental for my tastes.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 AM
6th Gear

more info

It gets worse. My husband told me the dash lights are staying on unless the car is locked (this is, of course, without the headlights on). That could be the source of the drain. What could possibly be going on? We've got it on the charger now.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 AM
6th Gear

eh, never mind on the "more info" above. At 4:30 a.m., my husband is less than accurate. (The dash lights do go out) The security light that flashes near the door lock, however, when locked isn't flashing. It also lost some charge overnight, so perhaps this is a parasitic drain. Too bad my trusted mechanic is an hr away in traffic, and always busy. Would this possibly be a simple fix? Who can I trust in Northern VA out 66 near Fairfax and points west?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
If it has bluetooth, it could be the same problem as 04-08 tl's. try disconnecting the bluetooth module as if they malfunction, they cause a parasitic drain.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 AM
6th Gear

Thanks but no, no blue tooth. I had it checked by my mechanic for parasitic drain, and there was none. The car has performed perfectly ever since recharging the battery - and with windshield wipers, air conditioning, headlights, radio all at once - I have put it through the paces. All signs point to something happening during the recall repair, although it was at the dealership for just a few hours.