AutoNet 2010 MDX Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up AutoNet 2010 MDX Review

Acura MDX feels good

A vehicle the size of the Acura MDX is usually a little too large for my tastes, so why then have I asked the nice lady in the Honda PR department if it’s okay for me to keep it?

I guess it’s that some vehicles just make you feel good when you’re in the driver’s seat – and the MDX is one of them. It also drives smaller than its 4,867 mm overall length and 2,109 kg curb weight. I like that.

I also like the fact it’s built at Honda of Canada’s Alliston, Ont. assembly plant.

Freshened for 2010, this seven-passenger SUV gets Acura’s signature design front grille, new front and rear fascia and side sills, revised hood and taillights with bright LED lights and many new trim pieces. And the gorgeous 19-inch seven-spoke aluminum alloy wheels are part of my test vehicle’s Elite package.

How elite is Elite? Well, there’s not a single factory installed option you can buy for this model. And Acura claims the Elite’s $61,990 MSRP represents a $510 reduction over 2009 and a $4,200 value improvement including an all new blind spot information system and an active damper system with comfort and sport modes.

Adaptive cruise control (ACC) is also part of the Elite package and can be set to automatically adjust your speed to maintain a set distance between you and the vehicle in front. Although there are three distance settings, none is short enough for big city driving. So when someone butts in to fill that space (because traffic abhors a vacuum), a warning beep sounds and the word “BRAKE!” flashes on the instrument panel. The brakes are automatically applied if you don’t react, but will not bring the MDX to a complete stop.

Acura employs what it calls Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) which not only directs power to the wheel with the best traction in slick conditions, but also is programmed to turn the outside wheels a little faster to help you hug the curves.

A new 3.7-litre V6 makes 300 hp at 6,300 rpm and in testing by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada for the 2010 Canadian Car of the Year competition, the MDX raced from 0-100 km/h in 7.6 seconds – second quickest of the five vehicles in its category. It also registered an 80-120 km/h time of 5.7 seconds.

Surprisingly, for a vehicle in this price class, the all-new six-speed transmission is not the smoothest. Upshifts and downshifts seem to take a while, and are quite noticeable.

But you can use the paddle shifters, even in Drive.

Also surprisingly, in such an advanced vehicle, is the absence of keyless ignition.

Otherwise, the MDX Elite is packed with technology – all of it driver friendly – including heated and ventilated power front seats, rearview camera, rear DVD entertainment system, heated outside mirrors with reverse tiltdown, anti-lock brakes, tri-zone automatic climate control, 410-watt premium sound system with 15GB of hard disc storage, vehicle stability assist with traction control and a navigation system with bilingual voice recognition.

Although the cabin is relatively quiet (for a tall, boxy vehicle), with little wind noise, there is a fair amount of road noise from the Michelin Latitude tires.

On the front console, there’s a two-tier cupholder hidden under a sliding cover – a nice touch because not everyone likes the takeout java supersized and this allows easy access to a smaller container.

Cargo space behind the third row of seats is a generous 425 litres. But with those seats folded flat, that expands to 1,215 litres. Fold the second row down and it grows to an enormous 2,364 litres.

MDX comes pre-wired for a trailer connection and can tow up to 2,268 kg with trailer stability assist.
Summary:
Year/Make/Model
2010 Acura MDX
Price as tested
$61,990
Trim level
Elite
Price range
$51,990 - $61,990
Freight
$1,895
Options