Attractive price or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Attractive price or not

Hey fellas, since I have a Costco membership I decided to see what the auto program can offer me. The nearest Acura that is affiliated with Costco is in Chicago. (Arlington Acura) the price they offered me is $43,578.41 for a white MDX with tech.

Do you guys think that's a good price or can I get it lower?

What do you guys think?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
is this car price? or OTD price?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixDang
Hey fellas, since I have a Costco membership I decided to see what the auto program can offer me. The nearest Acura that is affiliated with Costco is in Chicago. (Arlington Acura) the price they offered me is $43,578.41 for a white MDX with tech.

Do you guys think that's a good price or can I get it lower?

What do you guys think?
You don't say what state you love in. Buying any car out-of-state can be a hassle especially concerning sales tax. You may have to pay sales tax in you home state when you register it and get a refund from IL if they charge you sales tax. BTW, the $43.5K sounds good, but beware of add-ons.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
is this car price? or OTD price?
Probably just the car price.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced

It's the car price and I live in MI. They said I will have to pay tax in MI
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

keep haggling. invoice is 42723 (edmund's). yes its a good price (435XX)...but you can haggle more...high volume dealers will want to sell it to you and have more room to haggle (hence hi volume). you missed the end of august (month) bargain time. end of september will be end of month and end of quarter...and end of model year while the 2012's begin to arrive on lots.

when i bought my TL way back when...$5 over invoice. bought on last day on the month and quarter.

so how long you willing to wait it out...or pit the dealers against each other in a bidding war.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep haggling. invoice is 42723 (edmund's). yes its a good price (435XX)...but you can haggle more...high volume dealers will want to sell it to you and have more room to haggle (hence hi volume). you missed the end of august (month) bargain time. end of september will be end of month and end of quarter...and end of model year while the 2012's begin to arrive on lots.

when i bought my TL way back when...$5 over invoice. bought on last day on the month and quarter.

so how long you willing to wait it out...or pit the dealers against each other in a bidding war.
Invoice is actually $43,628 inclusive of destination, which we all have to pay. But after some research on the Edmunds forum, people are paying $43k and less.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
It is a fair price, what's a few hundo when you are talking 43k, I say go for it, if they have the color combo you are looking for.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced

I hope I can get them down to 43k and it's a deal, I believe if I buy by sept 6 then I should be able to get it for that price. And if I can't then I'll wait till dec to by a 2012
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by tsturbo
It is a fair price, what's a few hundo when you are talking 43k, I say go for it, if they have the color combo you are looking for.
why pad the dealer's wallet you can pad yours...or put new goodies on the car or put it away for a rainy day? fair game if the dealer is gonna nickel and dime you might as well play the same game back.

we bantered over $85 to get the price i wanted when i bought my TL.

if a dealer sells on volume, they can sell you the car on the lower end...the salesman will make money off his bonus (which is signif bigger than his commission) if he eats a little commission on the car being sold in the long run.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I went Costco for my MDX last Dec and got Acuras Dec Event $500 Gift card also.
They drove the exact trim model color options out to my home and it only took 3 hours to test drive and complete the transaction.
The other non Costco dealer in town would not meet or beat the deal and I was not in to haggle over the price. My time is far more expensive.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:01 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

why pad the dealer's wallet you can pad yours...or put new goodies on the car or put it away for a rainy day? fair game if the dealer is gonna nickel and dime you might as well play the same game back.

we bantered over $85 to get the price i wanted when i bought my TL.

if a dealer sells on volume, they can sell you the car on the lower end...the salesman will make money off his bonus (which is signif bigger than his commission) if he eats a little commission on the car being sold in the long run.
let me clarify...i haggled through email for a week (it was actually fairly painless as there was no pressure from internet salesman), then spent a 90 min trying to talk to the sales mgr when i actually walked into the showroom...upon meeting the mgr in less than 5 min he dropped the $85. so...it really wasn't all that painful.

went back to the same dealer for my MDX...again did the numbers thing over email for a couple of days, then on the phone and finally agreed to a price. spent maybe an hour signing paperwork and going through the finance guy without any pressure for add ons, done. the only painful part was waiting for the detail dept to finish up and get my car to me (that took longer than the paperwork!).

i understand that time is money. i'm the last one that needs to be told that. my dealer sales dept is painless to work with compared to others. they treat you well, and fair...and they know very well that time is money (esp. in this area). so OP, depending on your circumstances (necessity of car now or later-seems like you're willing to wait if necessary), you need to figure in, what is the car worth to YOU and is it fair for the market right now (give or take a few hundred dollars)? in the end you need to be happy with the price you paid for the car YOU want (with the features, color combo, etc.). it doesn't really matter what everyone else paid or even what the avg price is...what are you willing to pay as long as its reasonable (ie no super low ball). the dealer is out to make the most money out of the car...you're looking to spend the least. happy hunting!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

+1, exactly what I was thinking.

let me clarify...i haggled through email for a week (it was actually fairly painless as there was no pressure from internet salesman), then spent a 90 min trying to talk to the sales mgr when i actually walked into the showroom...upon meeting the mgr in less than 5 min he dropped the $85. so...it really wasn't all that painful.

went back to the same dealer for my MDX...again did the numbers thing over email for a couple of days, then on the phone and finally agreed to a price. spent maybe an hour signing paperwork and going through the finance guy without any pressure for add ons, done. the only painful part was waiting for the detail dept to finish up and get my car to me (that took longer than the paperwork!).

i understand that time is money. i'm the last one that needs to be told that. my dealer sales dept is painless to work with compared to others. they treat you well, and fair...and they know very well that time is money (esp. in this area). so OP, depending on your circumstances (necessity of car now or later-seems like you're willing to wait if necessary), you need to figure in, what is the car worth to YOU and is it fair for the market right now (give or take a few hundred dollars)? in the end you need to be happy with the price you paid for the car YOU want (with the features, color combo, etc.). it doesn't really matter what everyone else paid or even what the avg price is...what are you willing to pay as long as its reasonable (ie no super low ball). the dealer is out to make the most money out of the car...you're looking to spend the least. happy hunting!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced

I'm gonna see if they can budge a little more even 200-300 and I'm all in.. Tks everybody for the comments
Old 09-03-2011, 01:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

if you physically go to the dealer...and they still won't budge....walk out. they may come chase after to see if they can work something out or call you by the next day or end of weekend (its the big labor day sale, and offering .9% financing, but i think you said you were paying in full, they don't know that though...at least i hope not). good luck.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Advanced

It's hard for me to go to the dealership cause I live, 4.5 hrs away otherwise I would..

But on another not I manage to work out pricing on the phone. After 20min I finally got him down to 43,400 plus tax which i think is a great deal. Put $500 down

I was all set to go to chi-town next week Tuesday to finalized the deal and pick up the car, then I got a call from the sales manager an 1hr later and said that the car I wanted (white/parchment interior With tech) was sold.. I was like WTF seriously.

Does this sound a little awkward. Anyways he said that he would look in the region and get the car for me in a couple days, only prob is that there only one white/parchment with tech in the region..

I don't know what to do guys
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i'm assuming that that color combo is what you wanted. if they honor the price...then wait it out. yeah i'd be like WTF too...weird that they didn't reserve it knowing that they were close to a sale on it...but i guess if they get someone to pay the price they want...then...yeah for them.

keep shopping around...how flexible are you on the color combo?? i know for my TL...the color i got was actually a 2nd choice, but now that i've had the car for over 6 yrs now...no regrets. i actually like the anthracite metallic better, its more of a classic color.

did you get your deposit back since they sold the car?

your color combo...none in my area (and my dealer is considered the largest acura dealership in the world 7 years running (according to them, based on volume of sales from 2004 to 2010)). there are a couple of white/taupe with tech and enertainment pkg...but none with just tech pkg. lots of other colors (black, grigio, palladium).

your choices are wait and hope the dealer finds the color combo you want somewhere in the country...or...2nd color choice. OR wait for th 2012's to come out (they aren't really going to change as far as i know from the 2010-11). tough call...but i'd be a little disappointed. give it a couple of days and see how it plays out...if they can't find it then...make your decision.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

That sux, I would be questioning their credibility about now

Originally Posted by FelixDang
It's hard for me to go to the dealership cause I live, 4.5 hrs away otherwise I would..

But on another not I manage to work out pricing on the phone. After 20min I finally got him down to 43,400 plus tax which i think is a great deal. Put $500 down

I was all set to go to chi-town next week Tuesday to finalized the deal and pick up the car, then I got a call from the sales manager an 1hr later and said that the car I wanted (white/parchment interior With tech) was sold.. I was like WTF seriously.

Does this sound a little awkward. Anyways he said that he would look in the region and get the car for me in a couple days, only prob is that there only one white/parchment with tech in the region..

I don't know what to do guys
Old 09-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Yeh I'm very surprise that the white color is so popular..I'm the type of person that when I want something I want right away, so its hard for me to wait, or not I would have just ordered a 2012 in nov

this is gonna be my wife's car so it was her first choice as in color. she has a thing for white cars.. Buying my Lexus back in feb, I had to compromise with her so my Lexus is white..

I convience her to get a Blk car ( I love Blk) but her only request is the interior has to be light..
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i believe in general, white and silver are the most popular vehicle colors sold. so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

i like black on cars too...but its a pain to take care of. good luck on the 2nd choice pick with the wife.