AcuraLink and Iphone 3Gs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AcuraLink and Iphone 3Gs

Anybody had any luck connecting to the AcuraLink with this phone. Everything works fine with Bluetooth and it's linked to hands free. I can even use the Ipod but it won't finish the connection with AcuraLink.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the same problem with my 08 mdx and acuralink
Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Seems Acura or AT&T or Both are not doing what they should be doing in relation to the pairing of the two. How many Iphones do you have to have in the market before you fix the problem? I guess millions just isn't enough.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
'05 RL & '10 MDX

We just tried it on our 2010 with an iphone and it wouldn't go work. Frustrating.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Instructor

We all should start hounding Acura about this. This is real dumb to not have access.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs down

Yup same problem here... sounds more like it's an AT&T/iPhone limitation at this point since they don't allow for data tethering.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It has been frustrating for me. I've posted about it in that Blackberry thread. I can't dial calls through the iphone and get them to connect via handsfree. This affects iphone voicemail and even something as simple as clicking on a phone number in an email.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
5th Gear

I got it working with the RDX, next week I get my MDX, so I know by then
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was shocked when my new '09 would not work with either my Blackberry or the iPhone. Kind of makes me think the Alink is just balony. I have not run into anyone it actually works with. And how much did they charge us for this feature. Should I ask for a refund? It never was going to work in the Ct area.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Mo7
5th Gear

No problem linking my 06 MDX with my iPhone 3g. My main problems are dropped calls as everyone knows.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Linking is not the problem for me...it is connecting with the acuralink when you use the iphone (and not the interface) to make calls (like checking voicemail, return missed calls, clicking on a phone number link in an email or the like). Of course all of the above done at red lights or stuck in traffic.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Instructor

The Acura Link is the issue. Most anyone can make a call and receive calls. But a month after owning my MDX the messages stopped coming from Acura. It was then I found they were preloaded into the cars memory and never sent from the factory. I feel Acura sold something that does not work and owes me a rebait. Class Action time?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced

This is what Acura just emailed me when I told them about my problems with the Handsfreelink:

Kevin,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your HandsFreeLink system. We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having.

The Apple iPhone 3Gs has a visual voicemail system and unfortunately, the HandsFreeLink system does not support this type of voicemail system. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you would like to transfer dialog to or from your HandsFreeLink system or cell phone during an active call, you can press and release the talk button for the HandsFreeLink and say "transfer".

The HandsFreeLink system was designed with your privacy in mind. If you start a call using your cell phone, the call will stay on your cell phone until the "transfer" command is given. By using the "transfer" command, you have control of where your call is at all times. Some phones have the ability to be able to automatically transfer a call to the HandsFreeLink system when dialed from the handset, but this is a feature of that particular phone and not of the HandsFreeLink system.

In addition, we are currently testing the Apple iPhone 3Gs and therefore cannot state whether or not it is compatible until we have completed our testing. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team at 1-888-528-7876. We are available Mon - Fri, 7am - 8pm CT.

Sincerely,

HandsFreeLink Customer Service
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Which email address did you send your message to? We all need to send emails. This is crazy. How many Iphones are out there? You would think there was only one.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Here is their response to my followup email. I don't have a "different phone than the phone I am having issues with" (do they think people routinely have multiple cell phones?) so I have no idea what they want me to do.

Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

You are important to us and we would like to provide the best customer service possible. In your situation, we could provide a more complete answer if we were able to communicate by phone. Please call our Customer Service Team at 1-888-528-7876. We are open: Mon-Fri 7am-8pm, CT.

Please call from inside your vehicle and from a different phone than the phone you are having issues with.

Sincerely,

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:02 PM
To: acurasupport@handsfreelink.com
Subject: Re: HandsFreeLink Web Support

The "Transfer" command doesn't seem to work. I had a 3 year old BMW
before this MDX and I had no problems with my 3Gs so I hope you will
be updating the Handsfreelink software. Kevin
Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Pretty much got the same answer as above. Sorry your Iphone doesn't support our system and you can't use it with Acuralink. Blame goes to AT&T and Apple in the message I got. I requested a list of phones and service providers that will work with their system.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Keven the iPhone works great with my '09 MDX. As the Guy wrote if a call is dialed by iPhone you loose the dial screen and select speaker until the phone is CONNECTED with the called person. Then you say hold on a second. Press the steering wheel button and say transfer. OR on the iphone screen hit the button refurring to iLink or whatever it says and it will transfer to the cars link system.

It is not as slick as an incoming call. On an incoming call when you hit the steering wheel button since you are CONNECTED the system seems to work seamleassly compared to the cludgey dialing out system.

But I have discovered if I press the steering wheel and just say a name like JOE the phone will call a joe that is stored. Only the Acura Link message system does not work. But it does not seem to work with anyones phone I have met so far...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Billman -- not to be argumentative, but even with the clunkiness you describe in the first paragraph, and the fact that you can't listen to your iPhone voicemail through the handsfreelink, you still think the iPhone works great with the MDX?

All I can say is that none of the above were issues with my BMW 535, so I'm surprised that Acura takes a back seat on something like this to BMW.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Just bumping this old thread. I was at the dealer this morning for service and asked whether Handsfreelink was still not fully compatible with the 3GS and my service guy said "yup...still the case". Very frustrating that you can't do simple things like listen to your voicemails through the bluetooth system or click on a "missed call" and get the call to work through HFL.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Further bump, I called Handsfreelink at the number above and the guy I spoke to said that this was never going to be upgraded...essentially if you have a 3GS you will never be able to have calls made through the iPhone (voicemail, clicking on "missed calls" or emailed or texted numbers) automatically go through bluetooth, and there doesn't appear to be any way to subsequently transfer such calls to the HFL system even after connecting.

The 3GS according to this guy was "compatible" with Handsfreelink...in my mind this sure isn't.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 AM
10th Gear

I agree. I don't have a problem making or receiving phone calls. But there is no data service. That makes no sense. I have unlimited data thru AT&T, so why can't I get data messages from Acura. It felt like bait and switch when I made the same discovery as you did: No new messages after the preloaded ones.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear

AcuraLink and Iphone 4

I have been all over Acura Tech Support, Apple and AT&T to explain to me why it will not connect. I have the tethering feature through AT&T, Apple supports tethering with the I4, so what is the issue???

Cant get a straight answer from anyone yet but will advise if i ever do...

Originally Posted by KevinMR
Here is their response to my followup email. I don't have a "different phone than the phone I am having issues with" (do they think people routinely have multiple cell phones?) so I have no idea what they want me to do.

Kevin,

You are important to us and we would like to provide the best customer service possible. In your situation, we could provide a more complete answer if we were able to communicate by phone. Please call our Customer Service Team at 1-888-528-7876. We are open: Mon-Fri 7am-8pm, CT.

Please call from inside your vehicle and from a different phone than the phone you are having issues with.

Sincerely,

Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: HandsFreeLink Web Support

The "Transfer" command doesn't seem to work. I had a 3 year old BMW
before this MDX and I had no problems with my 3Gs so I hope you will
be updating the Handsfreelink software. Kevin
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Folks, you must have a Acuralink compatible phone. Just because you have an Apple iPhone does not mean it's fully compatible with all the features that your Acura has. If AcuraLink is important enough to oyu then you must buy a phone that is Data Conection compatible with AcuraLink. None of the iPhones are fully compatible with AcuraLink.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

I understand that it isnt compatable but the question is why isnt it? Today i got a respone back from Acura Tech Support. They say the phone requires software called "Backchannel" to communicate. I am have an email into Apple to see if they are aware have can add this software.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Keep us posted...it's not like the iPhone is some niche product that the folks at Acuralink could ignore.

To add to my list of deficiencies...when a call comes in from a number in my contacts, the name of the caller appears on my iPhone but on the Acura screen only the phone number appears. If I don't recognize the number (good chance of that) I have to pick up my phone to see who the caller is.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Some more information on Back Channel for iPhone.

http://kentbrewster.com/backchannel/
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Cruisin'

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lakaynido1
Folks, you must have a Acuralink compatible phone. Just because you have an Apple iPhone does not mean it's fully compatible with all the features that your Acura has. If AcuraLink is important enough to oyu then you must buy a phone that is Data Conection compatible with AcuraLink. None of the iPhones are fully compatible with AcuraLink.
Isn't it interesting that still in 2010 we're talking about "AcuraLink compatible" (and "Car Multimedia" compatible).
It's like GM and Ford saying that you need to buy tires which are GM or Ford compatible
Isn't it time that they standardized on the communication protocol? I think that they don't want to spend any money fixing it - they already got your money
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Some more emails back and forth with HandsFreeLink...start from the bottom...I guess it would be helpful if more folks gave comments to Acura that their BT system has some major flaws (contact info is in one of the emails below). They seem unresponsive to me, though they didn't reply to my last email since maybe they construed some legal exposure in California...who knows, maybe they will realize that if every manufacturer except Acura configures their bluetooth system one way, then maybe Acura isn't doing it the correct way.

----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: HandsFreeLink Web Support

Thank you for your reply. I would request that you point out to your engineers that your system differs from those of (based on my sample today):

- Audi
- Toyota
- BMW
- Infiniti
- Lexus
- GMC
- Chevy
- Dodge
- Mazda

I'm not sure who else that leaves...I haven't checked a couple of other brands yet.

Given that under California law you cannot hold a handset to your ear in a car your current design is unsafe (everywhere) and unlawful (in Calif).

Please pass this request on to the proper channels at Handsfreelink or Acura.

Thank you,

From: support@handsfreelink.com <support@handsfreelink.com>
To: "Kevin "

Kevin,

As stated in our email the HandsFreeLink system was designed that if you start a call from the phone the audio will remain on the cell phone, regardless of the phone that is being used until you utilize the transfer feature. Not all vehicle's will be set up the same way and therefore you may have a different experience in other vehicles.

We were simply saying that some phones may have the ability to override our system's setup and automatically transfer the audio up to the vehicle, but the ability to do so is dependent on the phone as our system was designed to do this.

Sincerely,

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:20 PM

I think the below is incorrect about the iPhone default, because it doesn't work that way in my BMW and Apple's website http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1664 also says that calls made from the iPhone will default to connecting automatically through a connected Bluetooth device. I will call the customer service number to discuss this but I wanted to point out the inaccuracy below. Thank you Kevin

From: support@handsfreelink.com <support@handsfreelink.com>
To: "Kevin "

Kevin,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your HandsFreeLink system.

If you would like to transfer dialog to or from your HandsFreeLink system or cell phone during an active call, you can press and release the Pick-Up button for the HandsFreeLink and select "transfer".

The HandsFreeLink system was designed with your privacy in mind. If you start a call using your cell phone, the call will stay on your cell phone until the "transfer" command is selected. By using the "transfer" feature, you have control of where your call is at all times. Some phones have the ability to be able to automatically transfer a call to the HandsFreeLink system when dialed from the handset, but this is a feature of that particular phone and not of the HandsFreeLink system.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team at 1-888-528-7876. We are available Mon - Fri, 7am - 8pm CT.

Sincerely,

This e-mail was auto-generated by the HandsFreeLink web site at 08/19/2010 15:46:37.

Vehicle Information:
2010 MDX w/Navigation

Mobile Phone:
Apple iPhone 3GS

Mobile Carrier:
AT&T

Reason for Contacting HFL Support:
INQUIRIES ACURALINK(SETUP)

User Comments:
When I click on a "missed call" to dial it back, or click on a phone number in an email or text, why will the call not go directly through the bluetooth system? Is there an option to select the bluetooth connection as a default like in my BMW? Thank you.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

"Do you still consider the iPhone works well with your Acura?"

Well? No. But it works OK with a bit of stress.
Riding in my Sons Lex he got a call and it went immediately to the car speakers even though he answered the call with his iPhone. I got the impression he could not keep it in the phone if he wanted to. Had I been a new female acquaintance it could have been a tough moment for him. LOL..

In that regard I was glad of the cumbersome way Acura handles calls. If I answer with the iPhone the call stays in the phone. But having to say transfer and wait to see if the phone deciphered the command can be stressful. While waiting the person on the other end is in limbo thinking the call went dead.

I am mad that the much touted Link system does not work with any phones available in the AT&T system in CT.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

The reason that your iPhones will not work connecting to acuralink is that up to earlier this year ATT would not allow the iPhone to tether. This is now an option but you must have a tethering package as opposed to the normal data package. This is actually true for all phones that have the ability to operate as a wireless data modem. Once you have this data package you can use the automatic setup and you should be good to go.

The transfer function is actually quite simple to use. Make/receive your call on the phone, mute your phone, hit HFL and say transfer, unmute phone and call will transfer within a second. This should not take longer than 3-4 seconds after a couple practice runs.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dorin W
The transfer function is actually quite simple to use. Make/receive your call on the phone, mute your phone, hit HFL and say transfer, unmute phone and call will transfer within a second. This should not take longer than 3-4 seconds after a couple practice runs.
Sorry, with all respect, I laughed out loud at this. I'm just picturing the business call where the party on the other end puts up with all the transfer stuff for 3-4 seconds. I predict "click" is their response.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

Gntlemen, if you have a 2010 MDX Base model then you can go to the system and say "Auto transfer" to automatically transfer the call to the HFL (page 379 on the owners manual), the bad news is that for all of you that has a Tech Package, you have to always select on the Nav screen the transfer button (small inconvenience for privacy if you choose). As far as listening to voicemail while driving there's also provision for that, it's all in your owner's manual, please read it, you paid for the book. Please remember, there are difference on certain features between the "Base" MDX and the Tech package. The Tech package has a selection button for "Direct Dial" (page 398 on the owners manual) this is where you put in the special numbers and whatever it is that your phone company tells you to push on your phone to access voicemail or if you're trying to get to your bank account, or calling overseas while driving just listen for the instructions from the institution that you're trying to get to. For the "Base" MDX, the instructions is on page 375, it's called "Send numbers or names during a call". Try it and you'll love it.

Please do not worry that your iPhone cannot access the Acuralink, the only thing that you'll miss is the more in-depth troubleshooting by Acura if your having troubles with your X and also if you want to do automated appointments with your dealer for your X, other than that it's not really necessary, most Acuralink features are done thru XM. Have fun and enjoy your MDX, Gents.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM
3rd Gear

iPhone/Bluetooth

Just an FYI: I just bought 2010 TSX CPO w/navi. The bluetooth with my 3GS works fine (it's not SUPPOSED to be compatible) but of course the data link doesn't work.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bac2acura
Just an FYI: I just bought 2010 TSX CPO w/navi. The bluetooth with my 3GS works fine (it's not SUPPOSED to be compatible) but of course the data link doesn't work.
Just to add: i can voice dial on the iphone 3Gs by press and hold and it automatically transfers to the car with just an extra beep or 2. No major deal I don't think.
I guess if your car throws a code, instead of acuralink getting the info first, you can analyze it yourself with OBD and then Acura doesn't get a jump on you before you go to the service department. Might be a cloud with a silver lining IMHO.