AC Condenser Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Condenser Question

My AC is blowing hot air and I've come to find out by my own diagnosis (as well as a technician) that I have a hole in my AC condenser. Currently my low pressure reading is 0 psi.

I've recently purchased a new drier, condenser, and O-rings as well as 2 cans of 12 ounce refrigerant.

Once the condenser is replaced, I'm going to perform a vacuum test to make sure there are no other leaks. If there is, I'll head back to the drawing board. *IF* there are no leaks, I plan on doing vacuuming my system to get rid of all the moisture currently in there.

I've found a couple write-ups on how to replace an AC condenser step-by-step, but one thing I'm curious about is...

Do I need to add any oil? It's my assumption that I wouldn't since all the oil would be in the compressor and that all I need to add is just refrigerant.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Faluzure
My AC is blowing hot air and I've come to find out by my own diagnosis (as well as a technician) that I have a hole in my AC condenser. Currently my low pressure reading is 0 psi.

I've recently purchased a new drier, condenser, and O-rings as well as 2 cans of 12 ounce refrigerant.

Once the condenser is replaced, I'm going to perform a vacuum test to make sure there are no other leaks. If there is, I'll head back to the drawing board. *IF* there are no leaks, I plan on doing vacuuming my system to get rid of all the moisture currently in there.

I've found a couple write-ups on how to replace an AC condenser step-by-step, but one thing I'm curious about is...

Do I need to add any oil? It's my assumption that I wouldn't since all the oil would be in the compressor and that all I need to add is just refrigerant.

Thanks in advance!
As I already told you on another forum, you have to add oil. Oil is not confined to the compressor - it is dispersed through out the system in the refrigerant. The slick that helped you identify the leak was compressor oil. Most factory service manuals will tell you how much oil to add when you replace various components. Make sure you use the correct oil or you could fry your compressor. Maybe this will help:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001...ompressor.html

Last edited by Artbuc; 03-21-2012 at 03:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Faluzure (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Instructor

From everything I read, your MDX takes PAG 46 but you should get that confirmed. As far as I know, all 134a Denso compressors require PAG (46 or 100). Make sure you buy the good stuff - DEC. It is double-end-capped which means it is more stable chemically because the ends of the polymer chain are unreactive.

Last edited by Artbuc; 03-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Faluzure (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artbuc
From everything I read, your MDX takes PAG 46 but you should get that confirmed. As far as I know, all 134a Denso compressors require PAG (46 or 100). Make sure you buy the good stuff - DEC. It is double-end-capped which means it is more stable chemically because the ends of the polymer chain are unreactive.
Ah thank goodness I found you. I was awaiting your response on the other forum. Where do I physically add it? Through the service port or do I pour that exact amount into the condenser?

Thank you thank you for answering so far.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Instructor

Add it to the condenser. One more minor point: Lexus advises that you do not use PAG to lube the O-rings because it is hygroscopic. I assume Honda says the same thing since it is a general practice. Use a little mineral oil. My best advice to you is to get a genuine factory service manual.

Last edited by Artbuc; 03-22-2012 at 03:58 AM.