2013 MDX - Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 MDX - Refresh

Is there any information yet about the re-designed 2013 MDX? I have been searching about the web and nothing definitive came out.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No redesign in 2013 but there might some very few changes in 2013 - full redesign is expected in 2014
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Banned

wonder if they would get rid of the SH-AWD system in 2014 just like the new 2013 RDX.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:59 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jaytank
No redesign in 2013 but there might some very few changes in 2013 - full redesign is expected in 2014
Are you sure about this? According to edmunds, we're supposed to see a redesigned MDX mid-2012 as a 2013 model.

http://www.edmunds.com/futuremodels/2013/

The wait is killing me! No disrespect, but i really hope your wrong on this!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
The Edmunds list says mid 2012 for the MDX and late 2012 for the RDX but we've already seen the RDX and not a peep about the MDX. Just sayin' the list might be unreliable. I too hope to see a redesign, curious about powertrain updates mostly. My guess is they will reposition the MDX as a bit more upscale to better capture some the X5/RX/ML cross-shoppers. The slightly bigger than last year 2013 RDX will pick up a few MDX shoppers that would have to stretch to get into a new MDX. Same strategy as the TSX/TL relationship that started in 2009.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Man, I really hope they release this thing sooner then later. I doubt i can hold out till 2014. The infiniti JX is starting to look a lot more appealing...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
Man, I really hope they release this thing sooner then later. I doubt i can hold out till 2014. The infiniti JX is starting to look a lot more appealing...
JX has some very innovative safety systems. I'll be looking at this later this week. Dealership is having a launch party.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Instructor

It's certainly a good looking rig, but I think I'd try to find something else to occupy my time for the next 12-18 months, the first model year of a brand new from scratch vehicle is something to be avoided, even in these modern times. Plus, a CVT transmission is about as far removed from a driver focused experience as you can get. Even if a CVT is slightly more efficient, it simply fails to satisfy the soul. ggggrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr <my CVT impression>
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Man, I really hope they release this thing sooner then later. ...
I doubt if it will be both.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

haha! patiently waiting.....
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I test drove the 2012 MDX yesterday. Salesman said the refresh will take place for MY2013. I told him there has been no news especially considering the MY2013 RDX has been announced already. He said MDX is still selling well.

How much discount do you guys think I can get on the 2012 MDX considering it is likely the last model year before refresh?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Instructor

With all due respect, a lot salesman will tell you just about anything to move metal. Not saying he is wrong, but just not totally reliable. Looks like the '07 concept was "leaked" in April of '06, so maybe a refreshed '13 model will follow the same pattern, available by the end of this year? Doubt you'll be able to leverage a possible 2013 refresh into a discount anytime soon. Maybe if the dealer is sitting on some '12 models with a truck full of refreshed '13 ready to unload, but that is an unlikely scenario.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

I hope your sales guy is right man!

As for the discount on the 12, if it were me, i wouldn't offer anything! Only because i know its a proven car, the demand is still there, which pretty much means these suv's will sell themselves in a matter of time. Not to mention, I have a feeling most buyers are reluctant to make a move on any first model year car. Will need a year or so to work out all the bugs/kinks.

Either way, hope you get the deal your looking for! As for me, its the JX or this.... back to patiently waiting.....
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Just a quick update, i went and test drove the Infiniti JX35 AWD Premium/Theater package yesterday and here a few observations:

Pros:
LOVE the design - Very aesthetically appealing / Easy to look at
Low ground clearance - Could be a con to some, but I'm in TX and we don't get much snow. This SUV is not meant for off-road!
Handling - Handles very much like a car, could be due to low ground clearance. I'm sure AWD had a factor in this as well.
Price point - Much lower then the competition
Seating - Ample seating in the 2nd row. Can fit 3 large adults back there no problem. even in the 3rd row, space is adequate. Offers lot more space then what I've seen the competitors offer
Car Seat Collapse - This is a huge feature in my book. The third row can easily be accessed without having to take any car seats out! Very kid friendly!
Gas Economy - MPG is better then the competition, but could be because of the low power output.

Cons
HP/Torque - 265HP seemed very underpowered for a car that size. There is noticeable lag when you punch it. Power specs are lower then the competition
CVT Transmission - HORRIBLE, personally i think it takes away from the driver experience. Not a fan by any means!
Interior - Not as refined as some of the other models they offer (possibly strategic). Gives them some opportunities for changes. MDX definitely wins in this department!

Overall, its a good looking car, but there is definitely room for improvement. Definitely something to consider, but i REALLY REALLY hope Acura gets it right with the next gen MDX. Even if its entry point is a little more expensive, i'd rather have all the bells and whistles that Acura "usually" provides....

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 03-27-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I'm an MDX fan, but the JX is definitely a nice CUV. IDK wth is so great about a CVT. I like hearing and feeling a car shift, whether it's auto or manual. IDK maybe it's just me, but the CUV market is insanely crowded.

I like your quick review of the JX, reminds me of Insideline's.
http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/j...and-video.html
Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I'm an MDX fan, but the JX is definitely a nice CUV. IDK wth is so great about a CVT. I like hearing and feeling a car shift, whether it's auto or manual. IDK maybe it's just me, but the CUV market is insanely crowded.

I like your quick review of the JX, reminds me of Insideline's.
http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/j...and-video.html

I just finished up reading inside lines review and it was spot on! Thanks for sharing this! In fact, this one line just about sums it up:

"So basically, the JX is about what most people would expect from a crossover in this category: a compliant, comfortable ride and nothing more."

I agree that the current MDX is much more of drivers car then the JX is. I just hope they continue that theme with the next gen!

Anyways, back to patiently waiting....
Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm pretty sure a new 3G MDX would be introduced for 2013 if Honda/Acura were to follow the 6 year life cycle they have for trucks. That saying, the 2G MDX and the RDX where introduced around the same time. But I do find it weird that nothing has been mention nor have there been any spy shots.

Also the JX35 seems like a very promising crossover. I'm thinking a JX35, 3rd gen MDX, or an Odyssey Touring Elite will be strong contenders for replacing my dad's aging Odyssey. Germans are not allowed so these seem like the only roomy, upscale options without getting a V8.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

I priced a JX similar to my MDX Advance Ent and I was well over 50K. I also noticed some weird packaging - no heated steering wheel with heated seats etc
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Acura is introducing the new RL this year and I do not think that the MDX intro will be the same year. The new MDX is being built in a new plant in Alabama so new plant, new car, new workers - would you go for it?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by db22
The new MDX is being built in a new plant in Alabama so new plant, new car, new workers - would you go for it?
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the first year 3rd gen MDX is a risky proposition.

Where is the current MDX built?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Opus360
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the first year 3rd gen MDX is a risky proposition.

Where is the current MDX built?
Canada
Old 05-16-2012, 05:11 PM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Does anyone have any idea about the production run of the 2012 and 2013 MDXs - specifically when do they stop making the 2012s and start making the 2013s?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jaytank
That's what I heard yesterday at the dealer from the manager guy while purchasing a 2012 MDX, don't know if it was part of the sale's pitch

Originally Posted by MDXtremist
wonder if they would get rid of the SH-AWD system in 2014 just like the new 2013 RDX.
I thought that that had been announced/expected

Originally Posted by db22
I priced a JX similar to my MDX Advance Ent and I was well over 50K. I also noticed some weird packaging - no heated steering wheel with heated seats etc
I test drove the JX, it's the perfect car for those who want an upscale minivan. The car is nice and all, but nowhere near the driving experience you have in an MDX, cvt and 260 horses?no thanks.. The car was really boring to drive.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
That's what I heard yesterday at the dealer from the manager guy while purchasing a 2012 MDX, don't know if it was part of the sale's pitch

I thought that that had been announced/expected

I test drove the JX, it's the perfect car for those who want an upscale minivan. The car is nice and all, but nowhere near the driving experience you have in an MDX, cvt and 260 horses?no thanks.. The car was really boring to drive.

I'm in agreement with you. I test drove the JX and found the performance to be very dull. Sure it carries 7 passengers comfortably, but will it give you cayenne turbo type of performance? Absolutely not...

That said, you have to ask yourself what is it that you want from this refresh? Are you looking to track your 7 passenger SUV? I think the majority of buyers in this market want something that can haul 7 passengers comfortably, at a reasonable price, with some bells & whistles as far as technology goes. I think both the current MDX and the JX meet these standards, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Aesthetically speak, I think the JX runs circles around the MDX. This is just my personal opinion and this is where I hope Acura corrects itself with the refresh. It also has the best MPG in its class, not to mention the most interior space. The 3rd row seating is legitimate again.

The MDX definitely has the JX beat in the "fun to drive" factor, but it can definitely use some improvement in the space category. Again, this is something I hope Acura corrects with the refresh! But if your looking for a performance SUV, there are others in this segment that will better serve that purpose. At a premium price of course.

Personal tastes aside, at the end of the day, it comes down to this: Cheap, Fast, or Stable.... PICK 2. You can't have all 3.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm in agreement with you. I test drove the JX and found the performance to be very dull. Sure it carries 7 passengers comfortably, but will it give you cayenne turbo type of performance? Absolutely not...

That said, you have to ask yourself what is it that you want from this refresh? Are you looking to track your 7 passenger SUV? I think the majority of buyers in this market want something that can haul 7 passengers comfortably, at a reasonable price, with some bells & whistles as far as technology goes. I think both the current MDX and the JX meet these standards, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Aesthetically speak, I think the JX runs circles around the MDX. This is just my personal opinion and this is where I hope Acura corrects itself with the refresh. It also has the best MPG in its class, not to mention the most interior space. The 3rd row seating is legitimate again.

Personal tastes aside, at the end of the day, it comes down to this: Cheap, Fast, or Stable.... PICK 2. You can't have all 3.
Let me say that I have to partially disagree with you. The JX may be a good looking car, definitely better than the MDX, but most new Acuras are hideous (thanks beak), although they are improving, but the JX is also generic looking and dull.
As far as comfort, the third row may be better than the MDX, but the second row suck. The seat is very low, which makes you sit with your knees very high (for my taste). Also, you can only put two child seats on that row, as opposed to three in the MDX.
The JX has more tech than the Acura, and being a new design shows in the available "things", push start, keyless, panoramic sunroof, etc.
MPGs? the AWD JX gets 18/23, the MDX is 16/21. Two mpgs is nothing, considering the sacrifices you are making in the driving department with the CVT and the ~260HP engine. If you really want an MPG improvement, go for the Highlander Hybrid
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

^^^ That's a fair assessment. No argument here. I think both cars have their pros and cons. I just hope Acura really identifies where there flaws are and gets it right with this refresh. And by no means am I an Infiniti fan boy. In fact, I've never liked any of their cars, until they released the JX which made me take a second look. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But you can say that about both models.

Let me be clear though, I'll gladly sacrifice a little bit of performance to gain something thats easy on the eyes and has a generous amount of seating space. If I had to choose a 7 passenger suv today (in that price range), I'd choose the JX. For me, its a family hauler, not something I'm going to race with.

I just really hope Acura hits a home run with this refresh to make me think otherwise!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
^^^ That's a fair assessment. No argument here. I think both cars have their pros and cons. I just hope Acura really identifies where there flaws are and gets it right with this refresh. And by no means am I an Infiniti fan boy. In fact, I've never liked any of their cars, until they released the JX which made me take a second look. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. But you can say that about both models.

Let me be clear though, I'll gladly sacrifice a little bit of performance to gain something thats easy on the eyes and has a generous amount of seating space. If I had to choose a 7 passenger suv today (in that price range), I'd choose the JX. For me, its a family hauler, not something I'm going to race with.

I just really hope Acura hits a home run with this refresh to make me think otherwise!
So I am not feeling the JX, specially your comment about being easy on the eyes. The current MDX is much better looking to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

^^^ Can't hate on that!! Whatever floats your boat, I guess!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

Originally Posted by tsturbo
So I am not feeling the JX, specially your comment about being easy on the eyes. The current MDX is much better looking to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I totally agree.

We're choosing between the MDX Advance and X5 3.0i (and maybe 4.4i too - but much more expensive). Testing driving both this weekend. Brain says MDX for value and reliability, heart says X5 for more fun, better looking (IMHO ).

2013 X5s are already out. 2012 MDX for now I guess

Assuming no changes for MDX for 2013 (which seems to be a high probability), does anyone know when 2012 MDX production will stop/2013 will start being produced?

Last edited by Grimnebulin; 05-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
2005 SSM/Ebony/5AT/NAV

^ Put down engine size above, should be X5-35i and X5-50i.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Finally something ...spy shots:

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/spot...pe-141581.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-mdx-spy-shots
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 redesign is one thing - unknown
2014 built in USA on new fab line is another unknown.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
CGold

I hope to see "Keyless Entry" on the MDX, the RDX now has it.

I cant believe that its already mid-June and there is no news on the 2013.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Video of 3rd Gen MDX testing on Nurburgring

I hope this isn't a repost:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-mdx-spy-video
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

No LED front indicators but at least it has amber turn signals at the rear although they will probably screw that up for the American market.