2012 MDX update

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Heck, I want to see the next Gen MDX, it's one seriously nice SUV.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mtxjohn
Wow-13mpg? You must be a horribly unskilled driver. Maybe you should ride a bicycle. You may feel like you're "complaining" but you're just letting me know that you can't drive.

I rented a new Tahoe and got 22mpg for the entire tank. Thats a SIX THOUSAND POUND suv. With dual AC units and chock full of family.

I get upwards of 40MPG in my rsx-s. How? Because I dont drive like an idiot. Maybe you should invest in a scanguage of similar device to give you realtime feedback about your poor driving habits.

13mpg means youre using 77 gallons of fuel to go 1,000 miles.
22mpg means youre using 45 gallons of fuel to go 1,000 miles.
So it takes you 70% more fuel to drive a 3.7L Acura car-based SUV than it does me to drive a 6,000LB v8 equipped Tahoe?

A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools....
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Good news: While I was at my Acura dealership today I put my name on the list for a 3rd Gen MDX. Acura does not take pre-orders per se, as most of you know. I said I would take one that came on the first carrier--sight unseen. Bad news: From what I was told by my friend I'll have to wait until 2013 (as most of us suspected) with the line moving to Alabama being the determining factor. Beyond that he had no other information. He also had no idea if the 3rd Gen would be a '13 or '14 model.

P.S. I was wanting to drive a ZDX for the heck of it while I was waiting for my MDX to be serviced. Well, the dealership had 0 ZDXs on the lot. There is no demand for them and the the ones they have to take are almost impossible to sell at any price now. Looks like the ZDX's days are numbered. I wonder why?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kssod
... Getting a little tired of 13-14 mpg city with my 08 MDX. Highway (trips) isn't bad at around 21+. What's everyone's wish list for the next MDX?
Originally Posted by mtxjohn
Wow-13mpg? You must be a horribly unskilled driver. Maybe you should ride a bicycle. You may feel like you're "complaining" but you're just letting me know that you can't drive ...
Granted - the '11 has a better trans than the '08 but it does take a bit of skill and know how to drive for MPG ...
I get 16 MPG City per my trip computer with 89 and 93 mix to get 91+ octane {note manual calcuation says 17 MPG City and Mixed}. All Highway not tested - expect 21 - 23 MPG.
Note that all City is not the same {Compare NYC to Austin}. If you are getting significant less than 15 - 16 MPG city you are prob driving it too hard and harsh on maybe wrong fuel and conditions.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
ZDX: Over priced over rated and butt ugly...I drove on as loaner.....horrible blind spots, nothing exciting about it.....over rated over priced.... Bottom line they can keep em....they are numbered.....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Rich and Famous

Originally Posted by Rexorg
P.S. I was wanting to drive a ZDX for the heck of it while I was waiting for my MDX to be serviced. Well, the dealership had 0 ZDXs on the lot. There is no demand for them and the the ones they have to take are almost impossible to sell at any price now. Looks like the ZDX's days are numbered. I wonder why?
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
ZDX: Over priced over rated and butt ugly...I drove on as loaner.....horrible blind spots, nothing exciting about it.....over rated over priced.... Bottom line they can keep em....they are numbered.....
+3.
This is bad news for Larso and any other who think the ZDX is God's gift to Autos and should be Acuras new flagship.
BMW has a X6 that sells poorly and the ZDX sells a tenth of the BMW. You can't lead when you follow so poorly.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The next new Acuera is going to be an entry level sedan, so my guess is the next generation MDX has to wait another year before we see it..
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EL_PIC
+3.
This is bad news for Larso and any other who think the ZDX is God's gift to Autos and should be Acuras new flagship.
BMW has a X6 that sells poorly and the ZDX sells a tenth of the BMW. You can't lead when you follow so poorly.
Huh? I never said I liked the ZDX, and I don't. It looks like a cross between the Honda Crosstour and the BMW X6. The discussion was on what was the definition of a "Flagship" model. My only comments were that the car magazines seemed to be particularly critical of the X6 whereas they tended to give the ZDX a pass for some unknown reason (although they weren't particularly fond of it either).
Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read in the news that it is pretty much confrimed that next MDX will have base V6 3.5L 270 hp engine with ,hopefully 7 speed tranny.
Next level up will be the Hybrid. Also stated that looks will be more conservative and luxury oriented .We should see new MDX in the fall of 2012 as 2013 model
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by M3EP
Just read in the news that it is pretty much confrimed that next MDX will have base V6 3.5L 270 hp engine with ,hopefully 7 speed tranny.
Next level up will be the Hybrid. Also stated that looks will be more conservative and luxury oriented .We should see new MDX in the fall of 2012 as 2013 model
Hmmm, a decline of 30 ponies, 10%. likin the fact I bought an 11 more and more
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Rich and Famous

Posting a link to the article you are quoting is advised ...
Putting in a smaller less ponie engine is not a great way to get better MPG.
The 3.7L should have D.I. like the other guys have.
Smaller engines is not as good as improving the design.
I only have a word of mouth from a engineer in Canada plant that next gen is longer for 3rd row seat.
Combine that with said smaller engine and the general rule of thumb that longer handels less ...
Ditto the good purchase on my 2011 MDX Advance.

Last edited by EL_PIC; 08-11-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
I wish there was a test mule or a spy shot or even a concept teaser that they would leak! God, I hate waiting!!

Not to change subjects, but what do you guys think of the new Infiniti JX? Concepts/Spyshots look interesting. Like the front end and profile... The back, not so much....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11107073...concept-teased Scroll down for more pics.

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 08-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

What news was that? I seriously doubt Honda/Acura will kill the golden goose, even though they stated a couple years ago they were going green. Please include a link to your source.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Sure

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...wertrains.html
Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Here is one more
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/acura-to-...d-2012-lineup/
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the links. I guess the electric motor would aid low end torque and help with the mpg. I just hope Honda/Acura gets it right right out of the box. Push button start and smart entry are on the top of my "must have" list for the 3rd Gen MDX.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's another link:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...308019986/1274

MDX: A redesign is scheduled for the fall of 2012. A running change will include a hybrid version to augment the base V-6 engine. For fuel economy, the base 300-hp 3.7-liter engine may be replaced with a new 270-hp, 3.5-liter V-6. The MDX mostly missed out on the keen edge design era and will stay with more restrained luxury styling.

RDX: After a six-year cycle, the small crossover will be redesigned for the summer of 2012. It will be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive. The twitchy turbo-four version goes away, replaced by a standard 2.5-liter inline-four engine on the base model, and a hybrid-four as an option. There won't be a V-6 because the Civic platform that underpins the RDX can't accommodate it. A midcycle addition of a seven-speed sequential transmission is possible!!

RSX: An entry-luxury sedan will come in the spring of 2013, to compete with the Lexus CT 200h and BMW front-drive cars. The RSX is based on the Honda Civic platform and will be powered by a 210-hp version of the Civic Si's four-cylinder engine. After the failure of the Canadian-market CSX, Acura knows it can't just deliver a warmed-over Civic. This model will be larger and have more differentiated sheet metal.

RSX coupe: Plans call for a midcycle addition that arrives in the spring of 2015. Dealers have asked for a convertible hardtop.

TSX: There is talk within Acura that the TSX will go away after its cycle ends in 2013. Four low-volume sedans that are close in size may not be a healthy business plan.

TL: The Honda Accord-based mid-sized sedan got a major fascia change this year, meaning a redesign won't come until the fall of 2013. Because it is too close in size to the RL, expect a shorter wheelbase and less overall length.

At launch, Honda's large-car hybrid system will be available as an option on the base V-6. The V-6 will be lighter and will include a new cylinder deactivation system and stop-start ignition. The 3.7-liter V-6 may come down in displacement to 3.5 liters.

RL: Look for a re-engineering of the all-wheel-drive RL in late 2012 as a 2013 model. Pride will not let Acura get rid of its flagship -- which is on an expensive stand-alone architecture -- even though Honda is looking to kill the vehicle in Japan, where it is called the Legend.

NSX: Honda Motor President Takanobu Ito says a new version of the Ferrari-fighter is in the works. He should know; he was an engineer on the original. But killing the sports car in 2009, after misfires on two concepts, means it will likely be 2014 before one hits the road.

Last edited by riontegra; 08-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Serious MDX competition
http://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-jx

Why can't Acura give us some info about future models like Infiniti does and Lexus also

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Because they do not want to tip their hand to the competition, nor do they want to slow sales of the existing model, which is selling quite well as some may hold off purchasing the current version if they had info on the new one. Sounds like Apples strategy which is brilliant, so you could go buy the competition like the infinity or Lexus or the droid or blackberry, but if you don't have an iPhone (Acura), well then you don't have an iPhone (Acura).

Have you not seen the information and rumors about the next gen? Longer, smaller motor and less HP but a hybrid version will be available and probably more expensive, those that wait to get the latest will never be satisfied. The current MDX is awesome in it's current form as is the current iPhone.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Serious MDX competition
http://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-jx

Why can't Acura give us some info about future models like Infiniti does and Lexus also

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/
Have to agree that the JX will be some serious competition. Thanks for that link I really hope Acura gets it right with the gen 3 mdx. Very impressed with the infiniti offering!!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Because they do not want to tip their hand to the competition, nor do they want to slow sales of the existing model, which is selling quite well as some may hold off purchasing the current version if they had info on the new one. Sounds like Apples strategy which is brilliant, so you could go buy the competition like the infinity or Lexus or the droid or blackberry, but if you don't have an iPhone (Acura), well then you don't have an iPhone (Acura).

Have you not seen the information and rumors about the next gen? Longer, smaller motor and less HP but a hybrid version will be available and probably more expensive, those that wait to get the latest will never be satisfied. The current MDX is awesome in it's current form as is the current iPhone.
I have seen the link, but i also have seen the links to the new NSX and the replacement RL and none have come to fruition. I own a 08 MDX a 06 RL and currently a 07 C6. i have owned a 05 MDX and several integras. Also currently 9 Apple computers, plus several iphones, ipads etc. Acura has extended their product cycle to 6 yrs, and my point is that most buyers want something new when they buy. As my MDX has not been that reliable, all wheel bearings replaced, some 2x. Issues with poor tread life, and a couple of minor other issues, I wish Acura would at least give us a real peak at the future product. Infiniti with the release of the M, and now the JX has a full feature website with the product 4-6 months before release. Lexus has done the same with the new GS. Acura continues to keep their head in the sand, and has really lost their market share except for the MDX, but even that is slipping. As to tipping one's hat to the future, that would only be good for the consumer, since it takes 2-3 years to incorporate a change, if Acura comes up with a devastating exterior and interior design with a 100mpg flux capacitor hybrid SH-AWD system that teleports us to our destination, how bad would that be to make other manufacturers incorporate new tech. A 6 month preview would never be enough time for Infiniti or others to add/change features to catch up, yet might be enough to keep me interested in Acura product, as it is time to replace the MDX.

Last edited by kssod; 08-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I have seen the link, but i also have seen the links to the new NSX and the replacement RL and none have come to fruition. I own a 08 MDX a 06 RL and currently a 07 C6. i have owned a 05 MDX and several integras. Also currently 9 Apple computers, plus several iphones, ipads etc. Acura has extended their product cycle to 6 yrs, and my point is that most buyers want something new when they buy. As my MDX has not been that reliable, all wheel bearings replaced, some 2x. Issues with poor tread life, and a couple of minor other issues, I wish Acura would at least give us a real peak at the future product. Infiniti with the release of the M, and now the JX has a full feature website with the product 4-6 months before release. Lexus has done the same with the new GS. Acura continues to keep their head in the sand, and has really lost their market share except for the MDX, but even that is slipping. As to tipping one's hat to the future, that would only be good for the consumer, since it takes 2-3 years to incorporate a change, if Acura comes up with a devastating exterior and interior design with a 100mpg flux capacitor hybrid SH-AWD system that teleports us to our destination, how bad would that be to make other manufacturers incorporate new tech. A 6 month preview would never be enough time for Infiniti or others to add/change features to catch up, yet might be enough to keep me interested in Acura product, as it is time to replace the MDX.
I watched the live intro of the GS (butt ugly front fascia) yesterday. They were saying it was in development for 2000 days, which is almost 5.5 years, which will probably be pretty close to the development time of the 3rd Gen MDX. Yes, Acura needs to hit it out of the park with the MDX to stay alive. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Rich and Famous

Originally Posted by tsturbo

If u cant wait or understand Acura marketing {why they are hush hush} you need to stay w existing MDX '11/'12 or jump ship. Really !!
This thread and others are full of things you can expect. If thats not good enuff ... go Infinity ... If you are so displeased w/your model ... go Infinity... If you just want to Blog ... go Infinity.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Racer

If you all think Acura marketing is Apple like.. why is Acura ( the first luxury japanese brand) now the lowest ranked by sales volume. Their flagship RL which I own, sells less than 300 per month in the US. Infiniti and Lexus have cleaned up in sales and rankings. Acura may have been first but if you surf this site most owners would agree with the automotive press that Acura has got to do something to return to their roots, exciting quality driver oriented vehicles with some style, and market them. Otherwise I fear Acura will simply fade away. What would be so wrong with tipping their hand, 4-6 months before the release of a new vehicle. The MDX is their best seller, and is a good ride, but is starting to get long in the tooth, no keyless start, or door unlock, old SOHC tech without cylinder deactivation to improve MPG like the ODY, No cooled seats, Still a very plastic interior with poor button organization.
Apple continues to redefine what the consumer will be unable to live without, ipod, iphone, ipad, macbooks etc. Acura started the luxury Asian import 25 years ago and really is the HP of the autoworld, playing catch up.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

The MDX is their best seller, and is a good ride, but is starting to get long in the tooth, no keyless start, or door unlock, old SOHC tech without cylinder deactivation to improve MPG like the ODY, No cooled seats, Still a very plastic interior with poor button organization.
I disagree, keyless start/door unlock, is not a make or beak for me. That "old" SOHC is one of the finest and smoothest V6's out there and preforms like a V8 while pumping out 300 HP, a tow capacity of 5,000 lb's and will still get 21 MPG's hwy.

Go buy your infinity or Lexus, no one is stopping you, after all, it is your money. Good luck with your decision.

Oh yeah, I DO have cooled seats, I do not find the interior plasticy, but very refined, soothing and comfortable, and the buttons don't cause me any problems, I like it and it is a technical marvel!

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 08-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

We're now in the tail end of Sept and not a single leak about 2012??? what gives!??
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
We're now in the tail end of Sept and not a single leak about 2012??? what gives!??
I imagine since demand is relatively low and inventory is high for the '11s, the '12s will be delayed until mid-October or early November. Any changes to the '12s will probably be minor as previously reported.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
acura.com has a 2012 MDX listed now
http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=MDX
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Just built/priced one out! For the 2012 model, we can FINALLY get Crystal Black Pearl or Aspen White with the Umber Interior! LONG LONG OVERDUE!!

Now the question is do I pull the trigger on this, or wait for the redesign... decisions, decisions....

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 10-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Aspen White with the Umber Interior! LONG LONG OVERDUE!!
that's exactly what my wife wanted to get, what else is new about the 2012? Can't find any info.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

^^, that's what I've been searching for. Seems like other then some new color combination's, the car is pretty much identical to 2011.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
In Search Of Sunrise....

AcuraNews has some details on the 2012.

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles-mdx

Still haven't been able to find a "Whats New for 2012" section.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just built/priced one out! For the 2012 model, we can FINALLY get Crystal Black Pearl or Aspen White with the Umber Interior! LONG LONG OVERDUE!!

Now the question is do I pull the trigger on this, or wait for the redesign... decisions, decisions....
The Umber interior was available with the Aspen White or Crystal Black paints for 2011s too.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeffS
The Umber interior was available with the Aspen White or Crystal Black paints for 2011s too.
nope, click on the 2011 model and try to build one

Edit: and right after I said that I noticed they completely removed the umber interior option from 2011 and 2012 models. Hope it's a temporary thing

Last edited by misu; 10-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Rich and Famous

... Now the question is do I pull the trigger on this, or wait for the redesign... decisions, decisions....
Deciding between known built in Allison and unknown built on a new line in Lincoln is kinda like shooting in the dark ...
IMHO - the current MDX is state of art and known is a sound choice. Unknown does not really become known untill its been out on the road a few years from a reliability standpoint.

Choose Wisely ...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by misu

Edit: and right after I said that I noticed they completely removed the umber interior option from 2011 and 2012 models. Hope it's a temporary thing
You always have to remember the disclaimer: Subject to change without notice.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Deciding between known built in Allison and unknown built on a new line in Lincoln is kinda like shooting in the dark ...
IMHO - the current MDX is state of art and known is a sound choice. Unknown does not really become known untill its been out on the road a few years from a reliability standpoint.

Choose Wisely ...
I'm really getting excited about the 3rd Gen now, but I just hope it is released sometime in 2012. I'm not a bit worried about build quality, but all new models will have a bug or two.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
New factory, new build team, new design spells a wait and see policy to me. I bought the 05 first year RL that was out in Japan before the US and it still had some issues, mainly software but some will go for the MDX on reputation alone and that reputation has been greatly enforced by the present mmc model.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Have you guys been able to find any change logs? Is anything new/different in the 2012?

Also, I tried building out another mdx on Acura.com and was able to successfully choose the CBP/Umber option. Aspen White is also available with the Umber.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by misu

The website must be wacky because Umber is back for both 2011 & 12 on the Advance models. Check in five minutes and who knows. Ionized Bronze is gone for 2012 as I am guessing it wasn't a big seller.

I think Grigio and Umber would be a hot combo. Hint, hint to Acura!

Quick Reply: 2012 MDX update