2012 MDX Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pohanka (near DC in VA) sent me an email for for a MDX Tech for $37,870. That's the best price I've seen.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by justwayne
Pohanka (near DC in VA) sent me an email for for a MDX Tech for $37,870. That's the best price I've seen.
holy geez! that's a GREAT price. i thought you already bought one though.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:57 AM
10th Gear

Just joined the MDX family, picked up a black 2012 today with Tech for $42,000 Out the door.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Z06-Track / MDX-Groceries

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
WooWee, I haven't been on this site since back in 08 when I had an RDX....and I wish I would have seen this thread before yesterday. You guys are getting some SMOKIN deals!

Well I just picked up a 2012 MDX w/Tech yesterday, and I thought I got a pretty decent deal at $42k, but after reading this thread I'm not as excited anymore. lol

In any case, I'm still happy with the deal and the car, plus mine was on a "Lease" and I am in HI, so I think the cars here are priced a little higher to begin with. Invoice on the car was $47,600.00 and their sticker price was around $52kish. All the cars they sell come with the all weather mats, rear cargo folding mat, lug nuts etc etc. I guess the one bright side is that our tax is 4% here, so that's pretty sweet compared to my other cars in CA where I paid 9%+ tax!

Oh and my price was without any incentives or rebates...since there was none that applied to me. Dealer even showed me my contract where one of the lines showed a loss of like ($1,9XX.XX) on the deal....so who knows?

Last edited by TapOut; 08-26-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 AM

^^^ Not sure why I can't edit the above post....but I meant to say MSRP, not Invoice.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
That price is nothing new; they've been e-mailing it like that for a few weeks. And I think that is before $1300 in destination and dealer processing fees? They are being a bit shady too with that ad. The MSRP includes destination but the sale price (that they are using to call out the "savings" of $9600) does not. I haven't seen anyone come in much lower than $39k flat + TTL.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

even with the destination and processing fee...it's still a great deal.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM
10th Gear

I am looking for a 2012 MDX w/tech package, my first Acura. My best price from a Raleigh, NC dealer is 41700, plus tax and tags. "Sticker" price is $47,600, so about a 6K discount. Included are fabric mats. The biggest question I have for you folks is about any issues with the 2012 MDX. Any problems I should be alet to? I'm also a little hesitant to buy because of what I fear will be high dealer maintenance/service costs. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by samanthajane
I am looking for a 2012 MDX w/tech package, my first Acura. My best price from a Raleigh, NC dealer is 41700, plus tax and tags. "Sticker" price is $47,600, so about a 6K discount. Included are fabric mats. The biggest question I have for you folks is about any issues with the 2012 MDX. Any problems I should be alet to? I'm also a little hesitant to buy because of what I fear will be high dealer maintenance/service costs. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!!
You can't go wrong with a Honda product. I just bought my 9th Honda vehicle, a 2012 MDX Tech from a Northern VA dealership. Your price quote is higher than what most of us are experiencing. I paid $40,375 (inc. freight) before a $1,000 Acura loyalty rebate (my wife owns a TL). I have heard many people getting sub-$40K pricing so I would definitely counter the price you've received. In addition, I was able to lower the finance rate from .9% to 0%. What color are you considering? You may have to pay more based on color availability on remaining 2012's. I chose Aspen White Pearl, which is becoming pretty scarce these days (lots of grays, blacks and silvers still out there) I drove the MDX home in a driving rainstorm late last night. Very stable ride. I think you will love it. It's a very solid vehicle. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

Thanks denvrfan. I see a certain dealership in Chantilly Va. has 3 whites in stock. That's the color my wife wants. How did you get the rate down? Any suggestions on other dealerships in Va. to check with?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Advanced

Thanks denvrfan. I see a certain dealership in Chantilly Va. has 3 whites in stock. That's the color my wife wants. How did you get the rate down? Any suggestions on other dealerships in Va. to check with?
Call/email all of them in that area. That is the most competitive area of the country and you WILL get a deal. Let them know you're getting quotes from all of the MD/VA area dealers. Most can trade for the color you want if they don't have in stock, but often the dealer with the inventory you want will be able to get you the best deal. The 0.0% should be offered at all of them in your area.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Vulches. I'll keep you folks posted on the quotes I receive.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^i thought you guys were looking into a 2013 RDX?

anyway...email the internet sales dept at pohanka (i'd give you the name of my guy but he moved recently). with the end of the month coming up this weekend these guys will be willing to give you a really great deal. almost painless when it comes to purchasing from them. some of the other area dealers MAY match or get close. keep in mind pohanka deals with high volume sales so they are willing to make pretty good deals to get units off the lot.

as far as reliability...by this time in the current gen MDX (6th yr of production)...most of the little glitches have been corrected. mechanically speaking it's solid. as you can see by my sig i own two acuras. so do many others on here.

good luck with your hunt. based on your NC numbers coming up to NoVA could save you another $2k.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Cruisin'

I did buy a MDX Tech already and got a great deal. But Pohanka near DC sent me an email with even a lower price and 0% for 60 months.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Cruisin'

Fyi
Attached Thumbnails 2012 MDX Pricing-pohanka.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 07:14 AM
10th Gear

Sounds like the Va/Dc area is the palce to shop. I've made contact with Pohanka and hope to hear something today. Two follow up questions: as far as maintenance goes (not warranty work), will Acura allow Honda dealers to perform routine maintenance? My closest Acura dealer is 75 miles away. #2, gas mileage...apparently mileage is not that good during break in.....at what point does it improve and what can I expect for highway mileage? THANKS!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How are the 2013 discounts? Also, do you think Acura will increase the incentives since 2013s are out on their website already?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Sounds like the Va/Dc area is the palce to shop. I've made contact with Pohanka and hope to hear something today. Two follow up questions: as far as maintenance goes (not warranty work), will Acura allow Honda dealers to perform routine maintenance? My closest Acura dealer is 75 miles away. #2, gas mileage...apparently mileage is not that good during break in.....at what point does it improve and what can I expect for highway mileage? THANKS!
#1-yes you can have a honda dealer do the maintenance on the MDX. warranty work, no. follow the MID (you will learn about this). the MDX shares the same platform as the pilot so in some ways they will be similar. for the more complex things that are acura specific (SHAWD system, and warranty stuff) then the acura dealer would be your best bet. upside about going to the acura dealer....you can get a loaner.

#2- you might be surprised on the hwy miles of the MDX. once she gets moving she is a great hwy cruiser. EPA for the 2010 to present with the 6spd trans is 21 mpg. it is not unheard of to get up to 24-25 mpg (ALL HWY miles, ie road trip). i managed this during a 1200 mile roadtrip last summer. almost 24 on the way out and almost 23 on the way home with a couple of traffic delays in a driving rain. avg'd over 65 mph for the trip. however LOTS of stop and go (ie urban downtown driving) can yield as low as the 11mpg that some have experienced. keep in mind that everyone's definition of city driving is different (stop, go, idle with an avg of 15 mph vs back roads with minimal stop signs/lights with an avg of 35 mph). so there is a huge variability in the definition of "city" driving. for me i avg around 25-26mph and get around 17 mpg in my MDX. as far as the break in period and MPGs...i do not know since i bought mine CPO. i know in my TL...there really wasn't much of a difference.

Originally Posted by Opus360
How are the 2013 discounts? Also, do you think Acura will increase the incentives since 2013s are out on their website already?
i highly doubt dealers will give the type of pricing of the 2012's on the new 2013's arriving on lots. they are trying to get rid of the 2012's to make room for 2013's.
The following users liked this post:
samanthajane (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
10th Gear

Well, made my deal this afternoon. For the MDX w/tech package, I will pay 41772, plus tax (3%) and tags. That price includes destination charges (895) and doc fee (398) and a cargo tray. I saw all of the lower prices in previous posts but quickly learned things are different when I began to ask for white. Even though they pretty much all have the same sticker price (47,600) they are asking about a $1000 more for the white than the blacks, grays and silvers. I even shopped Pohanka and they were a little better (about $800) but it's not worth the hassle for me because they are so far away. They were very courteous but made it crystal clear they wanted a $1000 more for the white one and would not budge from that. They offered running boards and that's where the difference came in. Very few whites are available and some dealerships have an abundance on the other colors and will deal better on those. Anyway, we'll pick it up on Friday and begin our first Acura journey. By the way, the dealer tells me I can use 89 octane fuel. Any issues with that? The manual says premium fuel?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the dealer is full of it. premium is REQUIRED in the MDX. not recommended like the RDX or the TSX.

high compression engine...runs better on premium. 91 octane or better.

the issue is your fuel economy will be worse than with 91+ therefore you will end up visiting gas station more frequently than if you run 91+. it is true the engine and the car cpu will adjust but is 10 cents a gallon really worth it with the potential long term harm to the engine? NO. the poorer fuel efficiency has been tested not only in the MDX, but the TL as well (there are threads about this) by others.

both of my acura's REQUIRE 91+ octane...they routinely get 93 since that is what is available here.

congrats and enjoy the new ride
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^the dealer is full of it. premium is REQUIRED in the MDX. not recommended like the RDX or the TSX.

high compression engine...runs better on premium. 91 octane or better.

the issue is your fuel economy will be worse than with 91+ therefore you will end up visiting gas station more frequently than if you run 91+. it is true the engine and the car cpu will adjust but is 10 cents a gallon really worth it with the potential long term harm to the engine? NO. the poorer fuel efficiency has been tested not only in the MDX, but the TL as well (there are threads about this) by others.

both of my acura's REQUIRE 91+ octane...they routinely get 93 since that is what is available here.

congrats and enjoy the new ride
I have to agree...you shouldn't run low octane fuel on a high compression engine. The ECU will pull timing to compensate for the lower quality gas, which in turn hurts performance and gas mileage. Keep doing it and you may even run into engine knock, so not sure why the dealer tried to sell you that line of BS.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:49 AM
10th Gear

In NC, we have available grades 87, 89 and 93. Thay are saying it is ok to use 89.....so still you folks think it should not be used?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Cruisin'

I agree with the previous comments - I use 93 octane if 91 is not available - routinely fill up from local Costco.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

In NC, we have available grades 87, 89 and 93. Thay are saying it is ok to use 89.....so still you folks think it should not be used?
93. the OM says premium is REQUIRED. you just spent a chunk of change on your new shiny ride. no need to do potential bad things to it from the start.

is it the sales guy that told you this? if so, they don't have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Besides our tsx we previously owned a 91 mazda mx-6 gt and a 98 eagle talón Tsi-AWD, both bought new. When we sold the mx-6 and talón they both had the original engine, turbo, clutch, transmission and ran Excellent. The mazda had almost 250k miles and the talón had 125k miles. They both "required" Premium and we used regular. The way the vehicle is driven and maintained are the 2 most important things.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Cruisin'

Well, made my deal this afternoon. For the MDX w/tech package, I will pay 41772, plus tax (3%) and tags. That price includes destination charges (895) and doc fee (398) and a cargo tray. I saw all of the lower prices in previous posts but quickly learned things are different when I began to ask for white. Even though they pretty much all have the same sticker price (47,600) they are asking about a $1000 more for the white than the blacks, grays and silvers. I even shopped Pohanka and they were a little better (about $800) but it's not worth the hassle for me because they are so far away. They were very courteous but made it crystal clear they wanted a $1000 more for the white one and would not budge from that. They offered running boards and that's where the difference came in. Very few whites are available and some dealerships have an abundance on the other colors and will deal better on those. Anyway, we'll pick it up on Friday and begin our first Acura journey. By the way, the dealer tells me I can use 89 octane fuel. Any issues with that? The manual says premium fuel?
Congratulations on the new MDX. I am into day 4 with my MDX and couldn't be happier. I still can't believe I got this much vehicle for under $40,000 thanks to the Acura loyalty rebate. I agree with your comments on the white pricing. However, I had purchased a 2012 TL Tech for my wife at Pohanka 13 months ago. When I pushed back on their attempt to charge more for white (essentially wiping out the loyalty rebate), they agreed to the lower price. The white is beautiful in the sunlight. I think you'll be happy. Sorry for the tardiness in my response. Were you successful in getting 0% on your MDX?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Cruisin'

I run 87/89 octane in my 2009 TL. Never had a problem. My first fill up in my new MDX I used high octane. I'm going to try the low grade on the next fill up.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chetanw
I agree with the previous comments - I use 93 octane if 91 is not available - routinely fill up from local Costco.
Well if you have the option of 93, I would take that all day long. Unfortunately CA only has 91.

I run 87/89 octane in my 2009 TL. Never had a problem. My first fill up in my new MDX I used high octane. I'm going to try the low grade on the next fill up.
Like I said, it's not like the car is going to explode if you use lower octane gas...all it does is give you worse MPG, and the computer retards the timing lowering your HP and Torque numbers. To some people this may be a big issue, and other won't notice the lower HP/TQ numbers enough to care, but trust me....engine knock and your car running in "limp" mode for extended periods of time are not worth it. (Plus how much are you really saving per fill up? $1.50-$2.00??)

http://engineguy.wordpress.com/2007/...gh-octane-gas/

"If you’re you trying to save money by using a lower octane gas than your owner’s manual calls for, I can almost guarantee that you will actually spend more money on gas (depending on the cost difference of the choices between 87 octane and 93 octane). Why? Because it’s a certainty that you will get terrible gas mileage. Isn’t that ironic? And horsepower? Forget it. But the worst part is that it will eventually harm your engine. Badly. And you won’t know about it until it’s too late.

Surprised? Sure. I’ll bet that you’ve heard that there is no reason to buy premium gas because the regular gas is just as good. That’s wrong! Then there’s the belief that the higher octane premium gas is just another rip-off by the oil companies. Wrong again!........

.....But now we have these ingenious high-tech engines that are monitored by an on-board computer and they are constantly making adjustments to correct or improve what the computer perceives as a problem. Here’s where we fool ourselves. Or rather where the engine fools us and we believe it. These little critters are equipped with knock sensors.

When they detect the typical bad detonation from using low octane fuel, the little devils automatically retard the spark timing or take other precautions to protect the engine. So, in reality, the sensors are de-tuning the engine to accept the fuel’s octane. The designers put this in to protect the engine from damage, but only for the short run. But with the spark timing compromised, you may not have a clue that it’s happening. But the engine’s performance is just shot. This is why it looses horsepower so badly, as I pointed out earlier.

In addition to robbing the engine of power, the electronic computerized de-tuning has put the engine into a mode that, by the nature of the low resistance, uncontrolled detonation, wastes the fuel’s energy to power the vehicle. So, if you think you’ve outsmarted the oil company, think again. You’re among their best customers because your vehicle’s miles per gallon are in the toilet. Said another way, you use more of their product than you need to.

The techno-wizardry of this is amazing. But the down-side is that the electronic computerized controls – the techno-wizardry — can mask the inferior detonation so effectively that you may never be aware that it’s happening.
So you are merrily driving along thinking how clever you were to not fall for that premium gas trick at the service station. Meanwhile your car is running sluggishly and you are using a great deal more gas than you should be using. But you sure saved a lot of money on that last fill-up, didn’t you?"

Last edited by TapOut; 08-31-2012 at 01:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TapOut:
chetanw (09-04-2012), TLtrigirl (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

This is a supposed to be a pricing thread. Can we move the octane debate to another section, please?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty pissed at the dealer right now. We've been negotiating on price, and not getting anywhere near what's posted above on a '12 MDX Tech. At any rate, we were ready to move with the $1K owner loyalty cash (I currently drive a TSX -- love it to death).

Then we get an email on 9/1 that the loyalty cash offer has expired and the resulting price has gone up $1K. I'm going to call Acura tomorrow to complain about this, because the dealer is blaming them for ending the program early. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a printed coupon from the dealer showing a 9/4 expiration date.

If they won't do it, we might soon be driving a JX30.

This price runaround would be expected if we were buying a Toyota. Really disappointed to get this crap from a luxury brand.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 AM
2nd Gear

I just bought an 2012 MDX with Advanced package, plus Roof Rails and Running Board, and a 5yrs Surface Protection plan for $51K OTD, before a $1K Conquest Rebate. I am financing with 0.9% for 60 months.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by waterrockets
Pretty pissed at the dealer right now. We've been negotiating on price, and not getting anywhere near what's posted above on a '12 MDX Tech. At any rate, we were ready to move with the $1K owner loyalty cash (I currently drive a TSX -- love it to death).

Then we get an email on 9/1 that the loyalty cash offer has expired and the resulting price has gone up $1K. I'm going to call Acura tomorrow to complain about this, because the dealer is blaming them for ending the program early. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with a printed coupon from the dealer showing a 9/4 expiration date.

If they won't do it, we might soon be driving a JX30.

This price runaround would be expected if we were buying a Toyota. Really disappointed to get this crap from a luxury brand.
don't hate on the brand...hate on the dealer. if the dealer really wants your business they would honor the coupon regardless of whether acura is going to "give" dealer the $1k back (i'm assuming this is how this all works).

have you tried another dealer? hell travel to the DC area and get one for the prices mentioned above. might be worth it.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Yeah, tried the other dealer in town, and they won't cough up the $1000 either.

Acura has moved the issue to the district Mgr. Should get a call by tomorrow morning. They said there is not a current loyalty offer on the MDX.

Left a message with the GM/VP of the dealership too "just calling to confirm that you're not honoring a printed coupon..."

My guess is that they screwed up the date on the coupon. The only other possibility is that acura pulled the offer 4 days early because they were losing too much money.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

if it was a dealer screw they should be honoring that coupon and eat it. sell you the car and be done with it. you could always go post a review on dealerrater as well. it's too bad they aren't willing to do anything for you. it's not like they won't make money off the car...the thing still needs to be serviced. hopefully they will do the right thing. good luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Purchased a '12 MDX Tech yesterday for $40.5K before TTL. This price includes the "ALL SEASON PROTECTION PACKAGE I" valued at $386. Also took advantage of the 0.9% financing for 60 months.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Acura has moved the issue to the district Mgr. Should get a call by tomorrow morning. They said there is not a current loyalty offer on the MDX.

Left a message with the GM/VP of the dealership too "just calling to confirm that you're not honoring a printed coupon..."

My guess is that they screwed up the date on the coupon. The only other possibility is that acura pulled the offer 4 days early because they were losing too much money.
Ok, all done. White 2012 MDX Tech for $41,600 + TTL.

Now that I have more of the story, I really believe the $1000 was not the dealer. American Honda set the loyalty program on the MDX to go through 9/4, printed coupons, and sent them to Acura owners. Then, on 8/30, they told the dealers that the program was ending on 8/31. We went in to buy on our negotiated price on 9/1 and we were told that the $1K was no longer available

I would have preferred a couple things regarding the dealer though: dealer immediately calls us to tell us that the deal is over the next day. Since that didn't happen, and we were on the showroom floor with cash and a trade, I wish that our sales rep would have escalated to the GM/VP so I didn't have to.

Salespeople in any industry should know that when a customer is pissed, the manager will say "yes" to reasonable requests, so just go get that approval rather than making the customer do it and get more pissed.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, all done. White 2012 MDX Tech for $41,600 + TTL.

Now that I have more of the story, I really believe the $1000 was not the dealer. American Honda set the loyalty program on the MDX to go through 9/4, printed coupons, and sent them to Acura owners. Then, on 8/30, they told the dealers that the program was ending on 8/31. We went in to buy on our negotiated price on 9/1 and we were told that the $1K was no longer available

I would have preferred a couple things regarding the dealer though: dealer immediately calls us to tell us that the deal is over the next day. Since that didn't happen, and we were on the showroom floor with cash and a trade, I wish that our sales rep would have escalated to the GM/VP so I didn't have to.

Salespeople in any industry should know that when a customer is pissed, the manager will say "yes" to reasonable requests, so just go get that approval rather than making the customer do it and get more pissed.
Congratulations on the MDX. My Tech is almost 2 weeks old and is also Aspen White. May not have the latest whiz bang technology but it's a Honda product and that peace-of-mind is nearly impossible to get from the other manufacturers.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

water rockets- congrats on your new ride!

glad it all worked out in the end.

first thing...read the OM...know the maintenance schedule, yes the MID is accurate and you should follow it. there are other "tricks" in how to ask for services to be performed on your newly acquired acura...oh wait...you own a TSX...you know this stuff already. nvm. have fun and enjoy the MDX....she's a beast in corners and very comfy for road trips!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Next time try the dealers up in DFW. Much more competitive than those in Austin and worth the 200 mile drive. I paid right above $39k + TTL for ours in July. The Austin dealers were $2k above that price at the time.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by vulches
Next time try the dealers up in DFW. Much more competitive than those in Austin and worth the 200 mile drive. I paid right above $39k + TTL for ours in July. The Austin dealers were $2k above that price at the time.
Which dealer?

Quick Reply: 2012 MDX Pricing