2012 MDX: base vs milano leather, do you regret getting the base model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 MDX: base vs milano leather, do you regret getting the base model?

For 2012 MDX, what is the difference between the leather in the base trim and the Milano leather in the tech package? Is the Milano a top grain leather while the base one bonded?

Those who got the base model, do you regret not getting the one with navigation system? I am thinking more of the camera system or the type of leather quality.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
If you don't need 7 seats and want the camera system, I would recommend you take a look at the 2013 RDX. All three camera angles come with the base model along with push start and keyless entry. Paired with the new V6 and cylinder deactivation, it was a much more economical choice without much sacrifice aside from 2 less seats.

I can't say much about the leather because I haven't looked at the base MDX. We hardly ever touch the navigation and even when we did, it was only once before we memorized the directions.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Opus360
For 2012 MDX, what is the difference between the leather in the base trim and the Milano leather in the tech package? Is the Milano a top grain leather while the base one bonded?

Those who got the base model, do you regret not getting the one with navigation system? I am thinking more of the camera system or the type of leather quality.
I went from an 09 base to a 12 Tech. While the Navi system itself isn't much better than the Tom Tom I use in my 12 Accord, the main selling point for me in opting for the tech package is the rear view camera. (When my 09 was at the dealer over the weekend for service, the 13 RDX loaner sold me on getting a Tech packaged MDX next.)

As far as the leather goes, neither the base nor the Milano are as nice as the leather in a Lexus RX.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Domm
If you don't need 7 seats and want the camera system, I would recommend you take a look at the 2013 RDX.
I initially wanted the RDX, but after test driving one and looking at one, I have concluded that the MDX is a far much better car.

Originally Posted by F23A4
I went from an 09 base to a 12 Tech. While the Navi system itself isn't much better than the Tom Tom I use in my 12 Accord, the main selling point for me in opting for the tech package is the rear view camera. (When my 09 was at the dealer over the weekend for service, the 13 RDX loaner sold me on getting a Tech packaged MDX next.)

As far as the leather goes, neither the base nor the Milano are as nice as the leather in a Lexus RX.
Really, two things are keeping from going immediately with the base model: the bigger screen with multi-view camera, and the leather. I am not familiar with the Lexus RX, but I compared the MDX to the Audi Q5. I do think the leather in the Q5 is of higher quality. Overall thought, MDX wins out for 1) mechanical reliability, 2) features such as powered tilt and telescopic steering column, 3) front seats comfort.

Last edited by Opus360; 09-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
IMHO, I think the Q5 is more in line with (though slightly upmarket against) the RDX. The MDX is more akin to the Q7. But with the reliability assertion, which is one of the main reasons I picked up another 2G MDX.

As far as the RDX goes, it's a great compact SUV. We used our loaner RDX for a weekend excursion down to DC (from the NYC area) and both the wife and I were very pleased with it, particularly in the area of fuel economy where we averaged mid-upper 20s mpg.

I really wish SH-AWD was an option, at least in a sport package.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Opus360
Yes. Its bonded and coated leather in the base.
I have the '11 Advanced over base and tech because of :
top grain Milano leather {it is in the Tech but not vented} ;
the 19 inch wheels / tires ;
the active suspension system ;
the AC / Heat seats ;
and the better sound system with the hard drive {in tech}.

Time and use will tell but I do not belive any other competitor has significantly better leather than whats used in the Advanced though they may be not as soft.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Yes. Its bonded and coated leather in the base.
I have the '11 Advanced over base and tech because of :
top grain Milano leather {it is in the Tech but not vented} ;
the 19 inch wheels / tires ;
the active suspension system ;
the AC / Heat seats ;
and the better sound system with the hard drive {in tech}.
I love to have the vented seats and blind spot system. It's out of my budget thought.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
After having it ... Blind Spot and Front Radar system is very helpfull.
In the end ... its always $$.
But I will tell you both my wife and I would regret having an MDX with same shabby bonded coated leather as in a TL and No AC vented seats.
The performance electro shocks and bigger better tires wheels really put the Advanced in a class by itself.
Scratch the base and plan on at least the Tech.
But Pray and Play for the Advanced.
Good Luck.