2011 - False HDD is full message

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 - False HDD is full message

I have a lot of music.

When I got the MDX back in Nov'10, I started ripping music to the HD. As it got close to 1/3 of the way full, I started to get a message telling me that the HDD was full. The disc would pop out. As I said, the drive was no where near full, and if I put the CD back in, it would resume recording without issue.

This started to occur more and more frequently. The dealer contacted Acura and they said that they had no history on this issue. Ultimately, they replaced the HD, causing me to lose everything I had ripped.*

So, now I am back at around the same amount of content on the new drive and it happened again. I didn't think it was the HD.

2 questions. First, the obvious. Has anyone else experienced this? Second, can anyone else confirm that they are way beyong the 33% mark on music ripped?

* Loss of my data was, I suspect, unnecessary. It's just a normal hard drive. As long as it is a file system that my PC can understand, I expect that I should have been able to copy the content from the old to the new, and I have informed my dealer that should another replacement be deemed necessary, that I would expect them to allow me to attempt that.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ebick
I have a lot of music.

When I got the MDX back in Nov'10, I started ripping music to the HD. As it got close to 1/3 of the way full, I started to get a message telling me that the HDD was full. The disc would pop out. As I said, the drive was no where near full, and if I put the CD back in, it would resume recording without issue.

This started to occur more and more frequently. The dealer contacted Acura and they said that they had no history on this issue. Ultimately, they replaced the HD, causing me to lose everything I had ripped.*

So, now I am back at around the same amount of content on the new drive and it happened again. I didn't think it was the HD.

2 questions. First, the obvious. Has anyone else experienced this? Second, can anyone else confirm that they are way beyong the 33% mark on music ripped?

* Loss of my data was, I suspect, unnecessary. It's just a normal hard drive. As long as it is a file system that my PC can understand, I expect that I should have been able to copy the content from the old to the new, and I have informed my dealer that should another replacement be deemed necessary, that I would expect them to allow me to attempt that.
What are you ripping from--original content or from a mp3/WMA CD or DVD? I think I know what the problem is, but I need more info.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rexorg
What are you ripping from--original content or from a mp3/WMA CD or DVD? I think I know what the problem is, but I need more info.
Just regular CDs. To my knowledge, that is all you can rip from.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

Bumping this as I am about to bring the vehicle in for service on this matter. My directive is that they will keep it until they fix it, but my fear is that this is something that just doesn't work.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ebick
Bumping this as I am about to bring the vehicle in for service on this matter. My directive is that they will keep it until they fix it, but my fear is that this is something that just doesn't work.
Good luck on the getting the problem solved. I think your HDD is indeed full. Did you update the navigation system by any chance? If not, then the system must be downloading at a much higher rate than set at the factory, which is probably 192 kbits/s versus the 1.4Mbit/s from the CD, which is 7.29 times higher. So, 1 downloaded CD using lossless would be like 7.29 ripped mp3 CDs. The HDD will fill up it no time.

Last edited by Rexorg; 07-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Cruisin'

Well, if it is, then there is a bug in the reporting system. When you go to the HDD settings it shows the HD only 33% full.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Good luck on the getting the problem solved. I think your HDD is indeed full. Did you update the navigation system by any chance? If not, then the system must be downloading at a much higher rate than set at the factory, which is probably 192 kbits/s versus the 1.4Mbit/s from the CD, which is 7.29 times higher. So, 1 downloaded CD using lossless would be like 7.29 ripped mp3 CDs. The HDD will fill up it no time.
My bad. The bit rate is 128 kbits/s according to the manual.