2010 MDX Review: Defines the Luxury CrossOver Class

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up 2010 MDX Review: Defines the Luxury CrossOver Class

For 2010, Acura’s best-selling crossover — and one of the first-ever luxury crossovers — gets a bit better in terms of interior features and a whole lot better when it comes to technology. It also receives a slightly new front end that’s less jarring than those on other Acuras. But the company couldn’t make the MDX any bigger, and it’s a snug fit for families — three rows of seats notwithstanding.

Even so, the MDX’s driver comfort, fun-to-drive nature and surprising value keep it competitive in a growing segment.

What’s new

The 2010 MDX gets a new front end highlighted by a slimmer grille that looks more like a beak than a perforated shield. The lower bumper also gets thin lower vents that resemble the ones on Acura’s TL sedan, but design changes overall are very subtle.

Inside, the major change to the MDX is an upgraded navigation system, which comes in a package with an upgraded stereo.

Performance

The MDX is comparatively small for a three-row crossover, but that smaller footprint makes it more nimble. That makes for a more enjoyable driving experience.

The MDX has a nice combination of spirited handling — partially thanks to Acura’s standard all-wheel-drive system — and ride comfort.

Only one engine is offered, but it’s a good one: a 300-horsepower V-6 that’s very spirited. The MDX wexudes some muscle and passes with gusto.

If you move up to an MDX with the Advance Package, which starts at $51,855, you get 19-inch aluminum wheels and a selectable sport suspension. The 19-inch wheels, though, are pretty stunning. The EPA rates mileage at 16/21 mpg city/highway.

Interior

When you buy an Acura, you get a nice, above-average luxury interior in terms of appointments, features and materials quality. Even the faux-wood trim looks somewhat real.

I found the driver’s seat exceptionally comfortable during long commutes.

The main problem with the MDX is backseat room. While there’s enough room for passengers of the adult variety, it’s a snug fit for children in child-safety seats. We installed a variety of seats as part of a standardized test, and a full-size convertible seat couldn’t fit when facing rearward, which is how all children must be placed until they’re a year old. An infant seat could fit facing rearward, but front-passenger legroom was compromised as a result.

Of course, not every buyer has kids in this age range. Tweens, teens and adults will enjoy the comfortable leather seats in the front and second rows of the MDX. They’ll also like the optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system and its large, 9-inch screen and wireless headphones for three passengers.

Technology

Since there wasn’t much Acura needed to change about the rest of the MDX, the company gave some attention to the aging navigation system. The MDX is the second model to receive Acura’s new system, after the new ZDX crossover, and it’s more than welcome.

While there’s still a somewhat awkward center control knob for managing the audio system, voice commands help some, especially when accessing music. The system uses a setup similar to Ford’s Sync system: Just plug in an iPod — it only works with iPod and iPhone devices — and use a single button on the steering wheel and your voice.

Safety

An Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick in 2009, the MDX doesn’t retain that title for 2010 because it hasn’t undergone the organization’s new roof-strength test. It does still get top overall scores of Good in the IIHS’ front, side and rear crash tests.

A collision-avoidance system is optional. It uses radar to determine the location of a vehicle in front of the MDX and alerts the driver with sounds and lights if a collision may occur. If the driver disregards the warning, the system will tug at the driver’s seat belt and lightly brake the MDX. If no action is taken and the system deems a collision inevitable, it will tighten the front seat belts and apply the brakes hard to lower the impact speed.

MDX in the market

The MDX pretty much defined the luxury crossover segment, so it’s nice to see that after all these years there’s still a lot to like about it.

Other than a cramped interior when fully loaded with people, the MDX has few flaws. It’s priced right and features the most up-to-date gadgets for entertainment and safety. Plus, it’s fun to drive and not bad to look at, either.

There may be more competition in bigger wrappers these days, but the MDX still defines the class.
2010 Acura MDX

STARTING MSRP: $42,230-$51,855

EPA FUEL ECONOMY: CITY — 16; HIGHWAY — 21

AVAILABLE ENGINES: 300-HP, 3.7-LITER 
V-6 (PREMIUM)

AVAILABLE TRANSMISSIONS: 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC W/OD

AND AUTO-MANUAL

NEW OR NOTABLE

• REVISED STYLING FOR 2010

• NEW SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC

• ADDITIONAL TECH FEATURES

• SEVEN SEATS STANDARD

• STANDARD ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

WHAT WE LIKE

• ABOVE-AVERAGE RELIABILITY

• THIRD-ROW SEATS STANDARD

• AWD PERFORMANCE

• HANDLING

• POWER

• DECENT GAS MILEAGE

WHAT WE DON’T

• MIXED OPINIONS ON STYLING

• CENTER CONSOLE DOORS

• SECOND ROW DOESN’T SLIDE FORWARD AND BACK

• DVD VIDEO DISPLACES MP3 JACK
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Nashville and lost my aging, 2005, E55 in the flood. So, being tired of little issues that were driving me crazy with the AMG -- I listened to someone in my office and purchased a black / black fully loaded Adv package MDX. While I do not walk up to the vehicle with the same smile on my face, I really have to admit that I love the little dude! The only thing I really miss is the keyless go system (and the horse power, of course). My MDX is a solid performer and once I add the running boards and tint the front windows, I think I will be satisfied.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally i don't think the MDX interiour is CRAMPED (that's probably because I drove a BMW 3series before). I also have to disagree with the infant car seat comment. In fact I sucessfully installed 2 car seats (one rear facing infant seat and one toddler car seat) in the second row and I still have space for an eight year old child. that was the condition BEFORE i bought the car. i wouldn't have bought the MDX if the condition wasn't met.