2010 MDX Nav Boot loop

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 MDX Nav Boot loop

Earlier this week, I ran the 2013 "Green" DVD update on my wife's 2010 MDX. It appeared to run through ok, but now is still is a constant boot loop. The Acura logo comes up, and radio starts playing for about 7 seconds, then it reboots.

I'm able to get to the diagnostics screen, but that also reboots after the same amount of time.

So we took to the local dealership today. As they opened up the front console, they see that liquid was spilled inside (from 2 years ago), and insist that the issue is due to liquid spill. The issue I'm seeing is a direct result of running the update.

With this being a HDD based navigation, it seems either the disk is corrupted or failing. And with the above-mentioned "liquid damage", they see it as out of warranty.

I saw a similar posts regarding TSX issue like this, and the unit was sent to Alpine for work. I'm not sure if this is an option on the 2010 MDX. Hoping you all may have some advice.

Thanks,
- Rob
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Where did you get the disc from? They would be the ones to make good if the disc is bad. If it was the dealer who supplied you with it,
I would ask the dealer to try updating one of the other cars in stock. He might even be willing to try it if you didn't buy it from him.

If it doesn't work, return the disc to where you got it (online order from NavTeq or Acura, dealership, etc)
If it works, you know it is your unit that is bad.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

I got the disc from a co-worker with the same vehicle. Very bad idea on my part, assuming it would just work. I think I'm royally screwed here.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

Rob,

I am having the same issues. It is is boot loop. I also got it from friend and installed. What is the solution? What you did? I am scared to go dealer because I used DVD from friend of mine.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

I have had a similar issue with mine as well. Dealer sent it to Alpine. First time it worked for a few months, and then it started happening again. Just got it back from Alpine a couple days ago.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
4th Gear

Dealer wasn't too much help to me. They looked at it briefly and discovered that liquid had been spilled in the front panel, which my wife did about 2 years ago. Vehicle is still under warranty. Although it got borked as a direct result of the Nav update, dealership won't warranty it due to the liquid. They did offer to send to Alpine for repair at a cost of around $900.

I contacted Alpine myself and was told $358 flat fee. I've been holding off we don't really want to send out the entire head unit for 2+ weeks with a gaping hole in the dash. For now, I've just removed the hard drive which allows the radio, sat, and rear entertainment function as normal (just no nav, and error message on screen).

The hard drive is definitely the culprit. I just need a way of restoring the hard drive back to the original factory build. Alpine needs the entire unit. If I could get my hands on a "good" hard drive, I'd attempt cloning it.

I'm open for suggestions, but will probably end up going the Alpine route.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

For what it's worth you won't have a hole in your dash. If you send it to Alpine you are just sending the unit which is under the driver seat.

An the timeframe you're looking at is more like 4-6 weeks.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
4th Gear

@pr3rak77. I don't have anything under the driver's seat in the 2010. It's hard drive based and everything I've seen is behind the dash, unless I'm missing something. The hard drive is a 60GB Toshiba PATA drive, that just slides into the side of the head unit.

That's why I was hoping Alpine could just send me hard drive, or re-install factory image on my drive.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by robputnam
@pr3rak77. I don't have anything under the driver's seat in the 2010. It's hard drive based and everything I've seen is behind the dash, unless I'm missing something. The hard drive is a 60GB Toshiba PATA drive, that just slides into the side of the head unit.

That's why I was hoping Alpine could just send me hard drive, or re-install factory image on my drive.
Ahh, right my bad. Didn't pay attention to you having a 2010 when they changed to the HDD based navi.

Try a different dealer, and see if they will cover it. You know that the navi was working fine up until the point of the upgrade.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

I am also having the same issue, My screen keeps rebooting into In Line Diag screen. I cannot get it to stop. I need the database version # for the Nav unit on MDX 2010 Tech & Entertainment to order a new Green DVD. I need help.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

For all of you with the current generation HDD system, you cannot buy from the aftermarket or borrow someoine else's disk and install in your system. NAVTEQ installs a code on the disk so it will only work for your system and not anyone else's system that is the reason why they ask for your system info. Buy a new disk and install it, if you cannot access your system info, then take it to the dealer and have them get it for you. The lesson learned is that to buy your own update, borrowing the data is like stealing from NAVTEQ. It's like copying music from internet file sharing, it's illegal...
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 AM
5th Gear

Dealer wasn't too much help to me. They looked at it briefly and discovered that liquid had been spilled in the front panel, which my wife did about 2 years ago. Vehicle is still under warranty. Although it got borked as a direct result of the Nav update, dealership won't warranty it due to the liquid. They did offer to send to Alpine for repair at a cost of around $900.

I contacted Alpine myself and was told $358 flat fee. I've been holding off we don't really want to send out the entire head unit for 2+ weeks with a gaping hole in the dash. For now, I've just removed the hard drive which allows the radio, sat, and rear entertainment function as normal (just no nav, and error message on screen).

The hard drive is definitely the culprit. I just need a way of restoring the hard drive back to the original factory build. Alpine needs the entire unit. If I could get my hands on a "good" hard drive, I'd attempt cloning it.

Hi robputnam, did you get the issue fixed? If so how did it go? Would you also mind sharing any info on how you removed the HDD?

I am also currently stuck on a boot loop after trying an update. If sent to alpine, is the price simply to get the drive back to factory but without the latest update?

Thanks for any info/help.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello everyone,

i have the same problem. Took a copy of the green dvd that doesn't belong to my X and my system goes into a loop after installation completed.

The 2014 cd is out. Does anybody kows if ordering the new CD would solve the problem. I have schedule an appointement at acura's to know what database, software version and device number is associated with my X since i do not have access to my screen while it reboots.

Anybody had any chance of testing with a cd ordered with our car information after installing a copy from someone else's.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

Ok so i just got back from acura. Since the nav is resetting. Impossible to get the info neededto order a new cd. The tech want's to take the hdd out. I know where that is going. They will probably tell me me that it needs to be sent for repair.

The solution couldn't be simple. I just sent an email to navtek asking them if they can send me a cd with only the vin and the device # because i am unable to get the database version.

Any of you guys add any success to rectify the problem.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM
7th Gear

I'm stuck here too in boot loop mode. Is the Database Version vehicle specific? I'd like to try and order the 2014 maps from Navteq but can't get past the screen asking for the Database Version. Keeps telling me it's incorrect.

To order i need my Device ID, Database Version Number and VIN. I can see the Device ID and VIN being vehicle specific, but not the Database version.

Can any other 2010 MDX owners post their Database version for us so we can see if we can order the 2014 maps? If it matters, I'm from Canada and had the factory stock maps on the navigation.

thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

how did you get the hdd out. I found out how to take out the central unit but can't find the hdd drive?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

how did you remove the hdd. I looked at the head unit and couldn't find it. Thanks

Old 10-19-2013, 03:13 PM
7th Gear

Can anyone here pm me their database version? I really need to know the database version number so I can get this fixed. Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by DaMikey
I'm stuck here too in boot loop mode. Is the Database Version vehicle specific? I'd like to try and order the 2014 maps from Navteq but can't get past the screen asking for the Database Version. Keeps telling me it's incorrect.

To order i need my Device ID, Database Version Number and VIN. I can see the Device ID and VIN being vehicle specific, but not the Database version.

Can any other 2010 MDX owners post their Database version for us so we can see if we can order the 2014 maps? If it matters, I'm from Canada and had the factory stock maps on the navigation.

thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
7th Gear

Are there no 2010 MDX owners out there? Please see if you can help us out here with the Database Version # cause, well, that's pretty much the main reason we are all on here - to share information and help each other out lol.

Originally Posted by DaMikey
Can anyone here pm me their database version? I really need to know the database version number so I can get this fixed. Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

quick update on what's what.

1rst - I downloaded a copy from internet (yes that's not legal) but considaring they charge 200$ for a map update (canadian) (for my opinion that's not fair since you can buy a new gps with a 9 inch display and lifetime updates for half that price)

2- Since the update the system reboots in a loop making it impossible to read another disc or just to listen to the radio or else.

3- Went at acura's : there is no way for the tech to access the data from the nav since it's always rebooting. They will tell you that the unit as to be sent for repair. If you're out of warranty it will cost you min 1200$.

4 The solution : call apline electronics acura oem technical support at 1-800-832-1401. They are actually really nice people. Tell them your story. The flat rate is 358$ and if the have to provide a refurbish unit it will be $100 more.

As for everyone to know : it is not possible to copy the dvd since it's dedicated to your vehicules unit alone. So don't buy a oem disc from ebay, it won't work. Don't copy a disc from someone else or don't borrow someone else's disc, IT WON'T WORK either and you will end up with a $358 or $458 bill to have you're unit sent from the dealer or yourself to alpine-usa.

Hope this message wil clarify everything for everyone.

Thank y'all for your help and i hope this will eventualy help someone.

Ron.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
7th Gear

Thank you very much for the update Ron! Just curious...do you know what maps will be installed on the unit by Alpine? If they install the latest (ie 2014 maps) then that makes the cost a bit easier to swallow...somewhat lol.

Originally Posted by flipslic
Hi everyone,

quick update on what's what.

1rst - I downloaded a copy from internet (yes that's not legal) but considaring they charge 200$ for a map update (canadian) (for my opinion that's not fair since you can buy a new gps with a 9 inch display and lifetime updates for half that price)

2- Since the update the system reboots in a loop making it impossible to read another disc or just to listen to the radio or else.

3- Went at acura's : there is no way for the tech to access the data from the nav since it's always rebooting. They will tell you that the unit as to be sent for repair. If you're out of warranty it will cost you min 1200$.

4 The solution : call apline electronics acura oem technical support at 1-800-832-1401. They are actually really nice people. Tell them your story. The flat rate is 358$ and if the have to provide a refurbish unit it will be $100 more.

As for everyone to know : it is not possible to copy the dvd since it's dedicated to your vehicules unit alone. So don't buy a oem disc from ebay, it won't work. Don't copy a disc from someone else or don't borrow someone else's disc, IT WON'T WORK either and you will end up with a $358 or $458 bill to have you're unit sent from the dealer or yourself to alpine-usa.

Hope this message wil clarify everything for everyone.

Thank y'all for your help and i hope this will eventualy help someone.

Ron.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Don't know yet i'll let everyone know when everything is done.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 2010 MDX (Canadian model) and my database version shows:

USA & CANADA Version IT002.01.04

Not sure if it will be the same as yours as I installed the 2011 map update in November of 2011. I had issues with it at that time. The voice commands for the temperature control would always give me errors and want to set it in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius (as required on Canadian MDX's). The display still showed Celsius. The problem was solved after 4 months of going back and forth with Acura support. They sent me a flash drive with some coding on it that fixed the problem.

I was thinking of ordering the 2014 Green Map update but am very leery.

- James

Last edited by JandS Canada; 10-28-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
DaMikey (10-29-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:17 AM
7th Gear

Don't know yet i'll let everyone know when everything is done.
Hi flipslic, just wondering if you got your HDD back from Alpine yet and how it went?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

The radio is back i will pick it up at the ups store tomorow. Up till now it cost me

1- 90$ to send it with canada post
2- 358$ for alpine - no additionnal fee they were able to repair the unit
3- 70$ ups charges for taxes as i am in quebec and alpine declared a 358$ value on the box

I don't know yet if my system is updated to 2014. I will let everybody know on saturday.

So the big total is 518$ to save initialy 149 for the cd from navtech.

So my advice to y'all. Go to futureshop and buy a galaxy s4 free and after buy tom tom from the appstore at 40$ and use it free of charge lol and updated for life.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM
7th Gear

The radio is back i will pick it up at the ups store tomorow. Up till now it cost me

1- 90$ to send it with canada post
2- 358$ for alpine - no additionnal fee they were able to repair the unit
3- 70$ ups charges for taxes as i am in quebec and alpine declared a 358$ value on the box

I don't know yet if my system is updated to 2014. I will let everybody know on saturday.

So the big total is 518$ to save initialy 149 for the cd from navtech.

So my advice to y'all. Go to futureshop and buy a galaxy s4 free and after buy tom tom from the appstore at 40$ and use it free of charge lol and updated for life.
Thanks very much for the update! I'm pulling mine out this week to send off. Any update on the maps installed?