2010 MDX Adv - bluetooth drops

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2024, 09:55 AM
Registered Idiot

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 MDX Adv - bluetooth drops

did a quick search but didnt find anything relevant.

2010 MDX advance package. my Bluetooth drops constantly when streaming music (via app or local music on phone). Calls are fine. i'll get maybe 30 seconds of a song and my screen will show that the connection was lost and it will rejoin. i've swapped phones, so that cannot be the issue. i dont believe i've seen any sort of firmware update for the radio/bluetooth either.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:54 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,195 Posts
I've noticed not all Bluetooth is created equal. I had issues in the past with having different types of phones paired at the same time causing intermittent issues. What reduced my issues was going 100% same model iPhones, deleting old pairings in the MDX system, no automatic iPhone updates, and waiting to do iPhone I.O.S. updates later to make sure Bluetooth audio streaming or Carplay is A-OK. Unfortunately, I do have the occasional Bluetooth dropping in/out or Carplay issues later; but, narrowed down to a recent I.O.S. update. So far, an internet search with my make/model/OS/symptoms with the smartphone can provide a work around sometimes. Usually a later I.O.S. update fixes the issue.

I "think" iPhone seems to work better overall is because I.O.S. is close source software/firmware. Easier for Apple to do a few I,O.S. updates to correct an universal issue across different vehicle info-tainment systems. Android is an open source software with thousands of hardware/software variations in configurations. Chances are the issues with your MDX's Bluetooth might not be duplicated with a Lexus, Mazda, or BMW from the same model year.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:18 AM
Registered Idiot

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've noticed not all Bluetooth is created equal. I had issues in the past with having different types of phones paired at the same time causing intermittent issues. What reduced my issues was going 100% same model iPhones, deleting old pairings in the MDX system, no automatic iPhone updates, and waiting to do iPhone I.O.S. updates later to make sure Bluetooth audio streaming or Carplay is A-OK. Unfortunately, I do have the occasional Bluetooth dropping in/out or Carplay issues later; but, narrowed down to a recent I.O.S. update. So far, an internet search with my make/model/OS/symptoms with the smartphone can provide a work around sometimes. Usually a later I.O.S. update fixes the issue.

I "think" iPhone seems to work better overall is because I.O.S. is close source software/firmware. Easier for Apple to do a few I,O.S. updates to correct an universal issue across different vehicle info-tainment systems. Android is an open source software with thousands of hardware/software variations in configurations. Chances are the issues with your MDX's Bluetooth might not be duplicated with a Lexus, Mazda, or BMW from the same model year.
so i'm the only driver of this vehicle and my iPhone is the only paired device for Bluetooth. it's been happening over the years and i've replaced my phone which is why i said it happens on multiple devices
Old 09-04-2024, 11:53 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,195 Posts
I was thinking multiple devices means different makes/models from anything from Apple, android, windows, etc..? Do you have any other Bluetooth enabled devices in the MDX like an apple watch, fitbit, or bluetooth ear buds at the same time? Intermittent issues is a headache for me to IT troubleshooting. We usually have to reduce all other potential problems to make sure we are correcting the issue instead of one of the symptoms.
Old 09-04-2024, 11:57 AM
Registered Idiot

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I was thinking multiple devices means different makes/models from anything from Apple, android, windows, etc..? Do you have any other Bluetooth enabled devices in the MDX like an apple watch, fitbit, or bluetooth ear buds at the same time? Intermittent issues is a headache for me to IT troubleshooting. We usually have to reduce all other potential problems to make sure we are correcting the issue instead of one of the symptoms.
i'm an IT guy as well. i'll have a watch and sometimes AirPods with me. but as far as the HFL on the MDX, my iPhone is the only paired device.
this issue occurred long before i owned a smart watch or anything else bluetooth inside the car.

issue is most likely the HFL itself. didnt know if this is a common issue, or if there was a firmware update to improve it. driving with streaming music is almost unusable on roadtrips