2007 MDX Headlight Flicker

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MDX Headlight Flicker

I am having an issue with the headlight flickering and going dark on Low beam. I have read about this on the forum. I checked fuse and switched bulbs and still get the flicker on the driver's side low beam. High beam works. I have heard it my be a ballast or the ignitor. I noticed my bulbs in the vehicle are 9005 sylvania halogen. I thought this model had Xenon. I do not recall ever changing the headlights and can only assume its the OEM. However, I cannot find that answer. IF it is halogen and that is the correct bulb do I still have a ballast and ignitor?

Also, how difficult is it to reach the ballast I hear you have to remove the bumper.

Just seems odd that I have a halogen bulb. Any help on this or pointing me to a video on the process would be great.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
The Low Beams are D2S as it uses HID Xenon Bulbs my DIY about it (LINK) > https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...change-941131/
9005 are the High Beams and DRLs, H11 for the Fog Lights.

In order to remove the headlight to replace the HID components you have to remove the bumper there is no extra steps than that but removing the bumper is a task on itself.

Just follow all the push-on clips beneath the bumper lining, there are 2 bolts on the side fenders that need to be removed, From the head I think there are about 10 push on clips beneath, and about other 10 on top to remove the radiator cover and the grille which has other 2 bolts.. Just follow the bumper sides and you will find the way to remove it, its pretty straight forward. From there removing the headlights is easy.

Last edited by Skirmich; 04-21-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to share my experience with this from last July. The driver's side headlight on my 2007 MDX with over 150k miles just had the "pink eye" issue and needed to be replaced - it was far easier than I was expecting and took no longer than 20 minutes of actual work.

After reading through all the postings here and across the net I decided to first try just replacing the bad bulb with an original replacement - I bought
Amazon.com: Philips D2S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Philips D2S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive
from Amazon. It appeared to be a new OEM Philips bulb.

This tutorial/walk through on a Mazda 3 is exactly what you need to do on the MDX. I didn't remove any body parts or the headlight to access the bulb and it is a very tight fit, but I could picture/feel what I was doing after looking at these pictures. I was going to replace the other bulb if needed but the color perfectly matched so I didn't bother. It has been 9 months and everything is working well.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by jwchapman
I wanted to share my experience with this from last July. The driver's side headlight on my 2007 MDX with over 150k miles just had the "pink eye" issue and needed to be replaced - it was far easier than I was expecting and took no longer than 20 minutes of actual work.

After reading through all the postings here and across the net I decided to first try just replacing the bad bulb with an original replacement - I bought Amazon.com: Philips D2S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb (Pack of 1): Automotive from Amazon. It appeared to be a new OEM Philips bulb.

This tutorial/walk through on a Mazda 3 is exactly what you need to do on the MDX. I didn't remove any body parts or the headlight to access the bulb and it is a very tight fit, but I could picture/feel what I was doing after looking at these pictures. I was going to replace the other bulb if needed but the color perfectly matched so I didn't bother. It has been 9 months and everything is working well.
Thanks for the post! I've gotten fake bulbs from Amazon so I no longer purchase HID's from there.

Osram CBI's are the best bulb on the market for around $150 for 2 bulbs total. When replacing HID's it's best to replace in pairs so color matches for both bulbs, HID's get bluer after 100 hours of use and lose light output over time.