2006 MDX oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MDX oil leak

My 2006 MDX with 101K suddenly had the oil leak right after the radiator replacement from the dealer. I'd like to get advice from this forum what could possibly get wrong and if it is something to do with the job from the dealer. Here are what happened.

1. The original problem was my engine overheat. The temp changed between 2/3 of high to 1/3 high and move all the time. So I brought it into my dealer.
2. The dealer did a pressure test and concluded this was the water pump leak. They asked me to leave the car overnight so they can do this big job the next day.
3. The next day I got a call from my service rep. He told me that they found coolant residual on their garage floor in the morning and they checked again and found it's actually the bottom of radiator has little crack and the leak was from there. The water pump was indeed all right.
4. I picked up the car the next day afternoon and drove back home. Before I tried to drive again after 2 hours, I noticed there was some fresh oil on the floor and I discovered a slow dripping from the oil pan.
5. I brought it back to the dealer and asked why. They checked and showed me it's the engine oil leak from the fly wheel inspection cover but they cannot identify the source. They asked to drive over the weekend and bring it back on Monday morning and they will check again.

My question is basically

1. Since this leak never happened before, is it related to the radiator job they had done, or the pressure test before somehow ruined some gaskets in the oil pan or some other components?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
It's a separate issue with the oil leak.
Oil leaking from the inspection cover is either the rear main seal or the oil pan leaking, these are common problems with 1st gen mdx's.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This doesn't sound right to me...I would take it to another dealer in your area if you have one. Also I would review the detailed invoice for your repairs, it might indicate they checked the area in question...if they did...and you later found a problem...that seems like they should have at least notified you.
I always service my vehicles at the dealer. I can't remember the last time I didn't have a list of suggested or recommended items to repair or replace. It's good business to take the time and inspect your vehicle when they have it. They may catch an important repair, but more important to them, they will be able to increase the amount you spend in the shop.
If you have a good mechanic they should be able to identify the exact leak spot, and if there is oil around the area that has dried, built up, you can justifiably believe the leak has been there before the radiator repair.