2004 MDX Power Steering Noise like a FORD

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MDX Power Steering Noise like a FORD

Hello All,

I have a 2004 MDX (156k miles) with a PS whine at idle and increases when the RPM increases. I changed all 7 o-rings and the PS bearing and even the bearing seal. Also completely flushed the PS system with fresh (Honda PS) fluid and also cleaned out the reservoir (with brake kleen spray, air gun and then rinsed with more PS fluid).

I still get the (Ford like PS) whine at all RPM. When I remove the serpentine belt, the noise is gone (so its not coming from the crank or water pump). Used the long screwdriver/stethoscope method and I can hear a whirling noise in the PS Pump. NO bubbles in the reservoir at all (when running or after), just see the fluid swirling around when the engine is running.

The whine noise does not change tone when I turn the wheels at any speed (no strain on the PS system). All the PS pump fins looked good and nothing seemed broken inside. I did not clean out the partial-check valve or the check valve itself...but will this weekend to see if that will help.

I sprayed the belt with water to see if the noise would change...but no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally!!

Well, I have been trying to pin point the noise. I ended up swapping out my 08 Accord PS pump with the MDX (same PS pump) and the noise was still there when I start the engine. That obnoxious whining noise!! So I put the old pump back in. This time, I removed the outlet hose (on top) and bypassed the steering rack and ran a hose back into the PS reservoir and I still hear the noise. So I know I cleaned the reservoir screen, but just to be sure, ran both outlet and return hose to a huge glass jar just to make sure the screen in the reservoir is not the issue...I still heard the noise!!!

So I gave up and took the car to a old cert honda tech guy I go to for big jobs that runs his own shop for the past 15-20 years.

I mentioned all the things I did and then he listened around and then he kept checking the PS fluid looking for bubbles, and then he pulled out the stethoscope and listened around. His first thought was the PS pump, but since I changed the pump with my Accord, he said it might be then be idler and/or tensioner pulley, I was like wow...really? He said when he listened to them they are a little louder than what he was listening to on the other parts (but he was not sure). When I spun them when the belt was off and it seemed fine. I said okay, do you want to fix it...he said I should do it since he was not sure (to start with the RR of the pulleys first).

I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and purchased the two pulleys, but those pulley's actually did not fit and were very different than the OEM in fitment (went and returned them). So I went to the dealer and bought the part and installed them, (paused and Prayed before I started the car) and FINALLY...the sound is gone!! PTL!!

I noted when I spun the old pulleys while they were off the tensioner bracket. they were tight and made some noise but nothing like the sound I thought they would have made when the car was running. I guess under a load made all the difference.

I really thought a bad pulley would have made grinding noise and not a whining noise...go figure!!

Thanks for at least reading my post as this was a tough one.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Whew!!! Glad you got it fixed! those damn pulleys!!