2001 MDX Rear replacement ABS Sensor too big

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2001 MDX Rear replacement ABS Sensor too big

I have replaced the RP wheel bearing/hub my 2001 MDX and of course had to destroy the ABS sensor to remove it. I have purchased two different after market sensors that are OEM replacements (according to the part number) which are identical (so I believe i have the right part) but both are slightly too large to fit in the sensor mounting hole in the hub. I have sanded the hole down to the metal. The sensor only goes in 1/32" at the most and I believe that is due to the chamfered edge

of the hole. There is no way the sensor is going in as it. I've wiggled it and hit is slightly with a small hammer with negative results. I measured the sensor diameter to be 0.866" and the hole to be about 0.844" though this measurement is questionable due to the problem of getting the micrometer in a position for a solid reading. Is there something I'm missing???
Old 01-13-2020, 06:49 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Welcome! Since this is more of a model specific question, I'm moving this post from Introductions -> MDX so hopefully you can get better insight.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
What brand did you get?

Have you tried rockauto for some of their aftermarket OE replacements? https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ed+sensor,1912 I've had pretty good luck across all the cars I've worked on with replacement parts.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Holstein and Intermotor

Thank you for responding. I purchase RockAuto's Holstein and Advance Auto's Intermotor. Both measured ~0.866" in diameter. I went to the Acura dealer hoping to measure one they had in stock and see if this was an aftermarket dimension issue, but they didn't have one. My next move is to drill out the hole with a 7/8" (0.875") bit and use the aftermarket sensor. Any unintended consequences with this you can think of?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
just make sure you clean thoroughly so no metal shavings go into the gear; otherwise Macguyver approved I wonder if this can just be chocked up to thermal expansion
Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 PM
Instructor

I will update after I get a drill bit and complete. I am completely stumped by this one. Given the age of the vehicle, if this was a systemic issue with the aftermarket part I'd expect to see that all over the internet by now. So this seems a one-off issue. I can't figure it out.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Final update

Its all back together and no ABS errors. However, I did NOT drill out the sensor hole. Instead I ground down the sensor on a grinding wheel until it fit. It wasn't pretty, but its on and no ABS light so I am calling this success. It is still a mystery as to why two separate aftermarket sensors were too big and I seem to be the only one to have this issue since I didn't find any similar instances on the internet. If anyone reading this has insight to this I would love to hear it. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 AM
Instructor

The final final update

For prosperity and whoever may read this in the future.....after everything was buttoned up and working, I realized the caliper was also frozen on that wheel. I believe the stuck caliper over heated the bearing and caused or at least significantly contributed to damaging the bearing.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Waukesha
Its all back together and no ABS errors. However, I did NOT drill out the sensor hole. Instead I ground down the sensor on a grinding wheel until it fit. It wasn't pretty, but its on and no ABS light so I am calling this success. It is still a mystery as to why two separate aftermarket sensors were too big and I seem to be the only one to have this issue since I didn't find any similar instances on the internet. If anyone reading this has insight to this I would love to hear it. Thank you.
It's very common to have to run a drill bit down the hole where the sensor goes. I've done a lot of these. You can see the flakey rust buildup in your picture. Glad you got it sorted out though!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel sensor grind down to fit

Yes! I agree, I had same issue. After market sensors on my 07 Laramie!
so I ground em a wee bit.
then they fit.
now it works! No more codes!
YAY