Today detail: Porsche CS4, VW Toureg, Optimum Spray Polish

Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Today detail: Porsche CS4, VW Toureg, Optimum Spray Polish

isAs promised, a quick review of todays details, and a quick review of Optimums new Spray Polish.
A new/used vehicle the Porsche is Cobalt Blue. Kind of rare for me, as I have maybe only seen one or two in my time. As with most Porsches, just a beautiful ride, period. Nice womanly hips, a rear end that just winks fantasy with you, and a bonnet that is an eye catcher in your rear view mirror. The color is very similar to the 335 they used to own. The owner said the previous owner kept it immaculate, but as the bright, warm So. Cal sun revealed, it was very swirled.

Im still using an older digicam, so my pics arent that truthful, but believe me, it was swirled. And to make matters worse, my clean up pics with the halogen reflection, were all deleted before the whole folder was uploaded. (And I normally dont do halogen pics cuz my camera isnt the best). Anyway, this was a great opportunity for me to try out a recent sample of Optimums new Spray Hyper Polish! The new polish contains BOTH diminishing and non-diminishing abrasives technology. As well as I opted for a white Erasure II pad, along with the UDM. I used a few spritzes of the spray polish on the pad. I immediately started with speed 6, and made a quick pass, before slowing down arm movement and adding a few lbs of pressure for an additional 2 passes. Then lightened up considerably for final polishing passes, while maintaining speed 6. Total area covered about 5 sq ft.
Something I noticed immediately was that the pad wanted to "skip". Now Im not sure if this was due to the surface curvature of the Porsche or not. It usually indicates a lack of lubricants, and/or the pad is gumming up. (Still kind of a mystery, but I think I figured it out). So anyway, about 6 total passes, I wiped clean with a MF and noticed something unusual, kind of indescribable actually. It just wasn't Optimum '' feeling". It didnt dust at all, that's normal for Optimum, but it just didnt feel like Optimum Polish when removing. Anyway, a look into the halogen lighting and, wow......85% swirl elimination, first shot!. I was stoked! Pulled it out into the sun for a truthful inspection and I was literally amazed at how easy that was, and with a light polishing pad? I proceeded to polish the entire car with the Spray Polish and white pad(s). I would have imagined had I polished with an Orange Erasure II pad, I could have decimated the swirls, but not knowing the surfaces history, I always start lightly. I was very happy with this polish.

The CS4 was sealed beautifully with Four Star Ult. Paint Protectant, wheels and tires cleaned with Optimum Power Clean, Powerstick, and laitner Power Brush. The rear wheels on a CS4 are very deep, a thorough cleaning could not be obtained with traditional wheel cleaner implements. Well, they could have but it certainly would have taken a lot of time. The Ace and PowerBrush make very short work with a cordless drill. Tires treated x2 with 303 AP. Wheels waxed with Optimum Spray Wax. Interior received a water/NRWS dampened MF wipedown, then a water dampened MF Optimum Leather Protectant wipedown. Trim detailed with either 303 or Duragloss 265 Detail Spray.

Identical treatement for the 05 Toureg as well!!
Heres a couple before and aft's!

Afters:

Kind of hard to tell with the pictures provided, I do apologize. Im pretty much the ameteur when it comes to pictures.
A few words about the new Optimum Spray Polish: Its not like traditional Optimum Polishes. The lubricants have been cut back a tad, but still ample for polishing, and not having to worry about dry buffing. You cant necessarily feel the non diminishing abrasives when polishing, but you will notice something "different" when using this product. It does cut significantly quicker for sure. It was actually designed to remove sanding marks, so there it shows its versatility. use an array of pads for differing circumstances. I would have also opted for the Spray Compound, but the sample sprayer would not cooperate. Glad I didnt, I didnt need it! I really think the power of the polish is phenominal. I have never used a product with a white pad, that removed such swirls. Obviously, light pad, and light product are always a first step, but the results were really quite astonishing. from me. I would assume the Spray Compound will be as superb. Both of these products are on order with Optimum. Available soon!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:16 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Nice to see more options come available. Seems to be a very good polish for those wanting a single-step detail. Thanks Pat
Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Both cars look very nice Patrick!

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City-ONE WEEK AWAY!!!.
Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn loving that Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Porsche, just pure sex!

nice to hear about the new optimum spray polish!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 05-30-2010, 11:38 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice Porsche detail!

Interesting new product Patrick. What is the benefit of using the spray polish over traditional polish emulsions? Initially I'm thinking your buffing pad will not get gummed up as much since the spray polish needs to be thinned out a bit.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Nice Porsche detail!

Interesting new product Patrick. What is the benefit of using the spray polish over traditional polish emulsions? Initially I'm thinking your buffing pad will not get gummed up as much since the spray polish needs to be thinned out a bit.
Stephen, this particular product utilizes a mixture of non diminishing and diminishing abrasives, a much quicker cut. The pad instantly absorbs lubricants for quick "seasoning/priming". I have to admit the sprayer that was included in my trial version is not the sprayer which will be included in the final product. Mine was a very generic spray tip.
Although im not real fond of spraying a product on a 5.5" pad, as I did have issues with overspraying, I hope this is resolved with a better tip.
The polish is now pink with a pleasant scent also. Just a much better finishing polish. I can imagine even better cut with Orange. (And all with a "polish"). I have the new Compound and hope to try it out soon as well.
Looks like Optimum has a winner.....
Im still trying to convince David to come out with a new, true cream sealant. Much like UPP.....I believe they have a glass cleaner arriving soon as well.