Dust/dirt sticks to paint, why? - AcuraZine Community

Log In 


Dust/dirt sticks to paint, why?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Dust/dirt sticks to paint, why?

a few weeks ago I washed my car and my wife's car on the same day using meguiars gold class car wash. she drives her car more than I drive mine. two weeks later, my car is filthy and her car is still pretty clean. I've noticed that dirt/dust seems to stick to my car more than her car, why is that?
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Comptechtl2367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,562
Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
This is an odd questions... and I have no idea how to help! Maybe its because you park in a dirty area?
Comptechtl2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Comptechtl2367 For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Needs a 930
 
BeezleTL85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Shirts
Age: 30
Posts: 5,074
Thanked 744 Times in 536 Posts
Car color can play a roll in how clean it appears, when's the last time you waxed, if you drive in different areas you'll encounter different debris
BeezleTL85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeezleTL85 For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367 View Post
This is an odd questions... and I have no idea how to help! Maybe its because you park in a dirty area?
when I go to the office I park in a garage and my car stays in a garage at home too, so it's under cover about 90% of the time. from what I've observed, it picks up dirt when I drive.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezleTL85 View Post
Car color can play a roll in how clean it appears, when's the last time you waxed, if you drive in different areas you'll encounter different debris
true, my car is black and my wife's car is teal (it's a corolla). however, if I run a finger along the paint on my car it is dirtier than my wife's.

I wax my car about every three months using meguiars, but like I said, the car is under cover 90% of the time if not more. I only drive 3 or so hours a week. I was hoping there might be a particular car wash or wax that might be able to help with this problem.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
F-SPORT
iTrader: (9)
 
LTxArucAx60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Middle of nowhere, KS.
Posts: 2,114
Thanked 64 Times in 59 Posts
Dark color cars tend to show dust and dirt better than lighter color cars. I use to have a Gray colored TL and it hide dust pretty well. Now i got a black lexus and that shows dust and dirt. I see my self dusting my car more than my old TL!
LTxArucAx60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LTxArucAx60 For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
-Brandon
 
UA6~RBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
Age: 20
Posts: 791
Thanked 221 Times in 172 Posts
I would suggest heading over to the Wash & Wax section of Acurazine to get an answer. My car is dark blue and I agree with what you're saying about dust and dirt. I suggest using a claybar to strip any wax residue and start a clean slate once a month. Claybar & waxing once a month really helped reduce dirt buildup on my TL by consistently keeping the paint smooth.
UA6~RBP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UA6~RBP For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
dcmodels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 980
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Its static electricity that attracts the dirt - your car is not electrically grounded (pun) because of those four rubber donuts on the bottom. And jumping in-and-out and rubbing your ass across the seat builds up the static.

Comments about color are spot-on, as I have had both black and white cars.

For myself, I have found that a 100% synthetic paint sealant attracts (slightly) less dirt than an actual wax. I have used Meguiar's #21 Poly Sealant (100% synthetic), and Meguiar's #26 Yellow wax (with carnauba).

I think that this is because the #21, as a fully synthetic, bonds to the paint, is thinner and slicker than the #26 wax, and there is nothing for dirt to 'stick-to', as with a wax. The wax does not bond to paint, it sits on top, is another layer, and is not as hard and slick as the #21 - so there is an extra layer into which dirt can embed.

The #26 gives a slightly better shine, which is not really noticable on my daily driver cars, but can be used over the #21, after the #21 has cured for 24 hours. I do this on the front end of my car sometimes, to help with the bugs. That is, the #26 provides an extra layer to prevent the bugs from sticking to and etching the paint.

And no, it does not work that well, but it does make it easier to remove the dead bugs at the next wash.

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-01-2013 at 12:36 AM.
dcmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmodels For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I feel you...My car is black and just from sitting in my garage with the door shut an hour after it's washed it dusty or in this season has pollen on it...My solution was I bought a car cover and after I drive the car I throw the cover on it so it's spotless when I take it off
booma1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to booma1218 For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-01-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
truonghthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 4,353
Thanked 583 Times in 510 Posts
dirt will collect on your paint no matter how great your car been washed, waxed. My TL pick dust particle up and I can see they are all over my side skirt.
truonghthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmodels View Post
Its static electricity that attracts the dirt - your car is not electrically grounded (pun) because of those four rubber donuts on the bottom. And jumping in-and-out and rubbing your ass across the seat builds up the static.

Comments about color are spot-on, as I have had both black and white cars.

For myself, I have found that a 100% synthetic paint sealant attracts (slightly) less dirt than an actual wax. I have used Meguiar's #21 Poly Sealant (100% synthetic), and Meguiar's #26 Yellow wax (with carnauba).

I think that this is because the #21, as a fully synthetic, bonds to the paint, is thinner and slicker than the #26 wax, and there is nothing for dirt to 'stick-to', as with a wax. The wax does not bond to paint, it sits on top, is another layer, and is not as hard and slick as the #21 - so there is an extra layer into which dirt can embed.

The #26 gives a slightly better shine, which is not really noticable on my daily driver cars, but can be used over the #21, after the #21 has cured for 24 hours. I do this on the front end of my car sometimes, to help with the bugs. That is, the #26 provides an extra layer to prevent the bugs from sticking to and etching the paint.

And no, it does not work that well, but it does make it easier to remove the dead bugs at the next wash.
I just ordered a bottle of #21 from amazon. can't wait to try it out! I'll probably go over the car with a clay bar first. I have xpel film on the front of my car so I don't have a problem with the bugs.

for the recommendation!
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 428
Thanked 49 Times in 22 Posts
The last 2 weeks have been very rough on my car, first it was the rain on & off, then the car got covered in Pollen, tons of it. Then it was the neighbor lawn cutting games, everyday a different neighbor next to me cuts their lawn & blows the grass clippings into the street which results in a dust storm. My neighbors put down so much fertilizer & seed they cut their lawns TWICE A WEEK. I washed my car today & its already covered in dust. I give up, theres too much crap in the air.
TVL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
the overexplainer
 
ez12a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: OC, CA
Age: 28
Posts: 3,287
Thanked 379 Times in 333 Posts
pollen and dark colored cars dont mix.

anyways, a claybar and a good coat of wax should help you repel a lot of that dust.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
dcmodels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 980
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skd2k1 View Post
I just ordered a bottle of #21 from amazon. can't wait to try it out! I'll probably go over the car with a clay bar first. I have xpel film on the front of my car so I don't have a problem with the bugs.

for the recommendation!
Just keep in mind that Meguiar's M21 has no cleaners, it is only for use on 'good' paint, so it is good idea that you plan to use a clay bar. I have never used one, and my cars are daily drivers, but the paint is OK. I use M21 because it is durable, and if the paint is washed well first, works fine for me.

As an additional notes, I use M21 on any smooth bare or painted plastic. For my RDX, that includes the silver bare plastic surround of the turbo intake, which otherwise water and finger-print spots badly. However, if the plastic is even subtly textured, the M21 does not work. It does not cause any problem, it just cannot be wiped off because it 'sticks' into the crevices. If you make a 'mistake', just use ArmorAll Original to remove it, and I use ArmorAll on the black part of the RDX turbo intake anyway.

I also use M21 on the tail-lights of my RDX, including the 3rd tail light, and the film on the headlights and fog lights. You may wish to check what is acceptable to use on any clear film. M21 will remove any slight mars on my headlight film from bugs.

And I use M21 on the bare headlight, tail lights, and bare black plastic parts on my Chevy Blazer, including the side mirrors, 3rd tail light cover, side trim, etc. It works much better than the 'black' products for plastic/ vinyl because those contain waxes which then wash off and run down the side of the paint. M21 has no wax, bonds to the plastic/ paint, and will not wash off.

Do not use M21 on rubber or vinyl, as indicated on the bottle. Again, M21 can be removed from rubber or vinyl with ArmorAll Original. I do not like the other ArmorAll products as they contain solvents. The Original contains only silicone and water. And if anyone doesn't like it, just don't use it - not interested in arguing with anyone who thinks ArmorAll 'rots' rubber.

Sorry, I am not trying to convince anyone to use this product - have no association with Meguiar's, and only intend to give some tips on its use.

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-01-2013 at 07:17 PM.
dcmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
 
TheLowLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Age: 31
Posts: 3,960
Thanked 705 Times in 538 Posts
Meguiar's FTW!!!
TheLowLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
 
geekybiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Age: 40
Posts: 1,555
Thanked 119 Times in 92 Posts
It's either electrostatic charge and/or the relative stickiness of the paint. I'd bet on the charge though. Differences in how the car is grounded, and material composition will change how much static charge builds up.
geekybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geekybiker For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
 
DynamicJ32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 282
Thanked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Have you ever looked at the ceiling of the car lot?

I had a job in an older building with a car park in the basement. The pipes and beams were covered in dust and so was my car at the end of the day. My car would actually be cleaner when I left it outside.
DynamicJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DynamicJ32 For This Useful Post:
skd2k1 (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekybiker View Post
It's either electrostatic charge and/or the relative stickiness of the paint. I'd bet on the charge though. Differences in how the car is grounded, and material composition will change how much static charge builds up.
toyota paint versus honda paint...not sure what the differences would be?? hadn't given much thought to the static idea, but when I look at the way dust/dirt stick to the paint that sorta makes sense too.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicJ32 View Post
Have you ever looked at the ceiling of the car lot?

I had a job in an older building with a car park in the basement. The pipes and beams were covered in dust and so was my car at the end of the day. My car would actually be cleaner when I left it outside.
nope, haven't really paid much attention to the ceiling in the deck, but next time I'm in the office I'll be sure to look out! thanks.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any ideas on how to get tree sap off stock paint?
Chicagoland TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland TL View Post
Any ideas on how to get tree sap off stock paint?
I used wd-40 when I get tar on the paint, so I'd wager it would work on sap too.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
 
dcmodels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 980
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover will probably work, and is less likely than WD40 to damage the paint. Remember that WD40 is more of a penetrant (which is why is works) than an oil. If WD40 is used, then use Meguiar's M7 pure polish to restore the paint oils (non-abrasive), not the normal usage of the word polish (an abrasive).

3M brand Bug and Tar remover will be stronger than the Turtle Wax brand. Also try the automotive GOO-GONE. And as a last resort use WD40, which I have never used on body paint myself, only the back side of my wheels to remove the 'glue' from removed tire weights.

Problem with tree sap is that it will stain the paint if left too long. It actually will embed into the clear layer. And if left long enough, will etch through the clear coat into the colored layer - you should see what it does to black paint.

Anyway, I personnaly would not use WD40, but if my other two suggestions do not work, then I have tried Meguiar's less abrasive polishing paste such as ScratchX. I am concerned that anything more abrasive would polish through the clear coat. ScratchX is pretty safe, but of course, if the tree sap is through the clear coat, it is not going to remove the stain.

Good luck - and let us know what you used and what actually worked. We all like to learn.
dcmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
 
brianinthe610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 57
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i do agree with claying to get mostly everything off the clear coat but i do not suggest every month, you will start to see HEAVY swirling. Do a proper clay bar process followed by waxing and a sealant... that should help. All paints are different, from the company to the color, some paints are softer and harder and some collect dust and get "dirtier" than others, its just the ways is. Follow proper washing techniques and youll be okay

Last edited by brianinthe610; 06-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.
brianinthe610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
 
brianinthe610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 57
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
this article should help, although extensive and difficult but just posting to give you a better idea

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-1/
brianinthe610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
skd2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: in traffic
Posts: 5,859
Thanked 271 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinthe610 View Post
this article should help, although extensive and difficult but just posting to give you a better idea

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-pearl-part-1/
thanks for posting this! I did use the meg m21 that dcmodels recommended and it's working pretty well over the last week or so.
skd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Registered Member
 
Jesstzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trail BC CanaDUH
Age: 71
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 288 Times in 248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland TL View Post
Any ideas on how to get tree sap off stock paint?
A lot depends on the sap itself ... 95% of the time rubbing alcohol will remove it but in the case of some turpentine is needed . Claying is a waste of time on sap tho it will work ... can do some damage tho.
Jesstzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
 
Jesstzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trail BC CanaDUH
Age: 71
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 288 Times in 248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinthe610 View Post
i do agree with claying to get mostly everything off the clear coat but i do not suggest every month, you will start to see HEAVY swirling. Do a proper clay bar process followed by waxing and a sealant... that should help. All paints are different, from the company to the color, some paints are softer and harder and some collect dust and get "dirtier" than others, its just the ways is. Follow proper washing techniques and youll be okay

That's the incorrect order .. sealants won't bond to waxes.
Jesstzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Registered Member
 
Jesstzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trail BC CanaDUH
Age: 71
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 288 Times in 248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmodels View Post
Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover will probably work, and is less likely than WD40 to damage the paint. Remember that WD40 is more of a penetrant (which is why is works) than an oil. If WD40 is used, then use Meguiar's M7 pure polish to restore the paint oils (non-abrasive), not the normal usage of the word polish (an abrasive).

3M brand Bug and Tar remover will be stronger than the Turtle Wax brand. Also try the automotive GOO-GONE. And as a last resort use WD40, which I have never used on body paint myself, only the back side of my wheels to remove the 'glue' from removed tire weights.

Problem with tree sap is that it will stain the paint if left too long. It actually will embed into the clear layer. And if left long enough, will etch through the clear coat into the colored layer - you should see what it does to black paint.

Anyway, I personnaly would not use WD40, but if my other two suggestions do not work, then I have tried Meguiar's less abrasive polishing paste such as ScratchX. I am concerned that anything more abrasive would polish through the clear coat. ScratchX is pretty safe, but of course, if the tree sap is through the clear coat, it is not going to remove the stain.

Good luck - and let us know what you used and what actually worked. We all like to learn.
WD40 won't hurt the paint ... and just FYI .. look it up .. WD40 was developed by the aero space industry to displace water .. thus the WD = Water Displace and the 40 was the 40th formulation. You don't want to polish off sap .. doing this also means your polishing the clear around it. As with tar sap should be dissolved by applying what you use and letting it soften the sap then wipe to remove. Some saps like pine tree can dry and the best way to deal with the blob is to wet it with what you use then after 30 sec. or so scratch the top of the blob with your fingernail to break the surface then reapply the solution to let it penetrate.
Jesstzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
 
Jesstzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trail BC CanaDUH
Age: 71
Posts: 7,459
Thanked 288 Times in 248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skd2k1 View Post
thanks for posting this! I did use the meg m21 that dcmodels recommended and it's working pretty well over the last week or so.
I use M21 exclusively on all the details I do ( +100 a year ) Ease of application and removal and very durable.
Jesstzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Keep'n it clean- Orlando
 
OntheJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 31
Posts: 620
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Ive noticed if you use carnuba waxes the dust will settle and stick more so then if you use a good synthetic wax, there are some synthetics that actually reduce surface tension and static of the surface making it more difficult for dust to settle/stick.
OntheJob is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 2003 Acura CL-S 6MT ABP ★★Location of Vehicle : Edmonton, AB, Canada★★ rp_guy Member Cars for Sale 6 03-30-2016 10:50 PM
Modesta BC-04 on a Maritime Blue - Paint to Sample - Porsche 911 GT3 detailersdomain Wash & Wax 3 10-09-2015 10:13 PM
Spark Plugs for Comptech Supercharger Joe Avesyan 3G TL Performance Parts & Modifications 9 09-29-2015 03:57 PM
Roof Spoiler: WTB spoiler900 Fifth Generation TLX (2015+) 1 09-23-2015 04:41 PM


Tags
attract, black, bonds, car, cars, dirt, dust, dut, lights, paint, sealant, stick, sticking, sticks, synthetic, tail

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.



Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Acurazine.com content, comments, or advertising. Acurazine.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Acurazine.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.