Did everyone do their winter prep yet? What products are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Did everyone do their winter prep yet? What products are you using?

Did my TLX 2 weeks ago when we had some warm weather in NY, but still waiting to get to the MDX. I had some body work this summer, so I skipped a coating, and just went straight with Sonax Polymer Netshield. My TLX is my daily driver, and is only garaged at work.

Great stuff that Phil @ DD sold me on after raving about it, and seeing it on a buddies RS4; picked his car up in the pouring rain from Phil's shop after a full detail. Seeing the crazy beading, and sheeting on the drive home as I followed him totally sold me. The only downside, is I love that just waxed, slick feeling, and PNS has a grabby feeling, even on a clayed, and prepped surface. The trade-offs with the water repellency, durability, and and how it cleans itself in the rain are more than worth it. (it doesn't completely clean itself, but in the rain, a good amount of dust, and dirt do rinse off the majority of the large panels, more so than any other product I have ever used). The longer it looks clean, the longer you can extend the time between washes, so that is always appreciated in the winter. Being able to recharge it with their detailer after it is washed will have it lasting through Spring without any issue. Last year I used the Pinnacle Black Diamond sealant followed by the Sonax PNS which really worked well, but no time for that now.

The MDX will be getting PNS as well, the first chance I get.

My RS is my garage toy, so she only gets Souveran, or 4 star UPP. I did try PNS once, but it made the clear bra (I have the whole front end covered) a little hazy/foggy. haven't ever seen that mentioned before, but I definitely noticed it, and won't use it again, but again I don't really need that kind of protection on it.

So what are you guys in the snowy areas doing to get through this winter?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just finished my winter detail on my 10' TL. Granted, I live in the Bay Area and snow is never an issue here but I had some spare time for a bit of detailing. The TL was coated with 22ple VXPro2 not too long ago but I was bored and decided to strip it and coat it with Polish Angel Cosmic Glasscoat instead. It was my first time using PA products and I have to say, I am overly impressed. I used Master Final Polish, Invincible Primer and Cosmic Glasscoat; all 3 required very little product and gave an impressive finish that really brought out the pearls within the paint. The coating itself was VERY easy to use, much like a wax.

I used a variety of polishers; PC with 3in bp, Rupes 15mk2, and Flex 3401. I also coated all the glass with Mckee37 glass coating. Plastic trim, rims and muffler tips were coated with Carpro Dlux.

I'm all set and ready for whatever little rain California has in store this season!
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
2 layers of Klasse SG
Old 11-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
My RL has opti-coat pro so it's just a simple wash, but that car gets no drive time in the salt, and pretty much becomes a weekend driver during the winter.

I clay-bared the Camry and used Meguiar's Ultra Cut compound series to polish it. I usually seal with it Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical to seal the car. I'm on the fence about Meguiar's polishes, but they do the job.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by SH6MT
I just finished my winter detail on my 10' TL. Granted, I live in the Bay Area and snow is never an issue here but I had some spare time for a bit of detailing. The TL was coated with 22ple VXPro2 not too long ago but I was bored and decided to strip it and coat it with Polish Angel Cosmic Glasscoat instead. It was my first time using PA products and I have to say, I am overly impressed. I used Master Final Polish, Invincible Primer and Cosmic Glasscoat; all 3 required very little product and gave an impressive finish that really brought out the pearls within the paint. The coating itself was VERY easy to use, much like a wax.

I used a variety of polishers; PC with 3in bp, Rupes 15mk2, and Flex 3401. I also coated all the glass with Mckee37 glass coating. Plastic trim, rims and muffler tips were coated with Carpro Dlux.

I'm all set and ready for whatever little rain California has in store this season!
Nice, any pics? Mine is white so tough to capture in pics.

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
2 layers of Klasse SG
Was a Klasse AIO & SG user for years, but as time went on, I felt like I could get just as good longevity with a product that was less finicky. AIO is a great 1 step product as well; really cleans the paint up well.

Originally Posted by projektvertx
My RL has opti-coat pro so it's just a simple wash, but that car gets no drive time in the salt, and pretty much becomes a weekend driver during the winter.

I clay-bared the Camry and used Meguiar's Ultra Cut compound series to polish it. I usually seal with it Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical to seal the car. I'm on the fence about Meguiar's polishes, but they do the job.
Haven't used the Dodo Juice products. Will that carry you through the winter?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Haven't used the Dodo Juice products. Will that carry you through the winter?
It usually holds up pretty good thru the winter. Unless we get a rough winter, I usually don't have to reapply.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Hyde (11-29-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice, any pics? Mine is white so tough to capture in pics.
I'll try to get some pics after I wash the car this week. Haven't washed the vehicle since the string of cold weather here.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Was a Klasse AIO & SG user for years, but as time went on, I felt like I could get just as good longevity with a product that was less finicky. AIO is a great 1 step product as well; really cleans the paint up well.
I am considering getting Klasse AIO & SG, what product(s) would you recommend over it? For me, it's hard to argue with all the rave reviews I've read about Klasse (I don't mind a finicky product if it holds up well), but I'd rather not spend 6 hr doing it if I can get similar results and only spend 2. Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I got the car in Nov, and it's been long overdue (still been driving an older low mileage F150 in the snow though luckily).
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Choice....

For my 2012 TSX Sport Wagon, I have been using Ardex Marine Polymer.....especially good for winter protection against salt, etc.; and the finish has a nice luster.

https://www.ardexautomotiveandmarine...-ocean-polymer
The following users liked this post:
mrmessma (01-15-2017)