Clay bar and Paint Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Clay bar and Paint Sealant

Hey guys, new to detailing.

Can you claybar the tlx front grille, headlights? Can you also apply sealant to the front grille and headlights?
Old 05-08-2016, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
yes and yes
Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Yup.

What sealant are you using? I've recently tried out Opti-seal and love it. Very easy to apply compared to most sealants and lasts pretty long. Gives a nice deep look to the car once it's done too, especially if you have a darker color paint.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
Yup.

What sealant are you using? I've recently tried out Opti-seal and love it. Very easy to apply compared to most sealants and lasts pretty long. Gives a nice deep look to the car once it's done too, especially if you have a darker color paint.
I bought CG's JetSeal. Is there anything i should avoid with sealant? Window trim? Or?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
You can clay bar any surface that is painted. Just use plenty of lube. You can use the lube that comes with some clay bars, a detailer, or a few drops of car soap in water. Just a few hints... divide the clay bar into 4th's or some smaller pieces and put them in zip lock bags and get as much air out of them. Use them in the future OR... if you drop the clay on the ground, garage floor etc.. throw it out and get a new piece.

Sometimes where there are sharp edges to a trim piece it can shave off a little part of the clay bar and may be hard to get out. I use painters tape over areas like that. I also use painters tape over rubber trim before I polish the car. Protects the rubber trim especially from polishes or waxes discoloring them.

I've Opti-Coated a few cars and it is a great product. They don't sell it anymore, now it is called Opti Seal. I have not used the new formulation. The most important and difficult part is to prepare the paint before you apply. This takes hours. The pain needs to be perfect and free from swirls or you will seal them in. Applying the sealant is pretty quick in comparison.

My wife has a Mini and you do not clay bar or put sealant on vinyl decals like the racing stripes on the Mini hood. I cover those with painters tape, especially the very edge so you don't get the clay stuck on the sharp edge of the decal.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
You can clay bar any surface that is painted.
going one step further, and saying you can do windows too!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM

keep away from black plastics and rubber! polish, sealant will turn it grey,white with product!
The following users liked this post:
E90 Skye (05-23-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:43 AM

the simplest thing you can do is watch youtube

watch the proper washing techniques.
watch the two bucket method
watch how to correct paint
watch how to seal......

its very easy as all of these are on youtube
Old 05-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
going one step further, and saying you can do windows too!
I have a special glass polishing pad and glass polish for my machine I use on the windshield. Much more aggressive than a clay bar and for a short time after you polish the glass it look factory fresh. Gets all the crud off and can ease the edges of pits and scratches which results in less reflections off the glass surface. Doesn't seem to last long though.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 AM

^how come we've never met up, Rocketman!!
I'm in sugar land! would love to see your car freshly detailed after all this rain we've been having!! lol

I clay bar the windows, then go over it with polisher and compound, then seal it...just like paint.
last a long time and it gives the same effect as "rainX"
water beads right off the windshield onto the paint, then beads right off!

p.s. I know that glass and paint have different properties, but this way, im not spending money on extra product like "glass protectant" and seems to work just like rainx

Last edited by justnspace; 05-10-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
keep away from black plastics and rubber! polish, sealant will turn it grey,white with product!
It can depend on the sealant. I've applied CG's M Seal on rubber trim and it gives it a nice shine vs turning it grey or white.

Oh. And Nanoskin > clay bar. So much easier to use, and you don't have to worry about ruining it if you drop it on the ground. Just rinse it off.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by AZuser
It can depend on the sealant. I've applied CG's M Seal on rubber trim and it gives it a nice shine vs turning it grey or white.

Oh. And Nanoskin > clay bar. So much easier to use, and you don't have to worry about ruining it if you drop it on the ground. Just rinse it off.
interesting!
i get lazy after spending like a couple of hours on the car and dont want to prep/tape up trim, even tho I know I should....

so, what ends up happening is shiny wet deep gloss paint, but trim turns grey from white product....
I know they sell product to turn it back to black.....
lol
Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I have a couple of sealants that I use on black trim that dont turn it grey .. Some of the lower end stuff will especially if there is cleaners in it.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 AM

yeah, its a hobby for me....lol i aint spending top dollar.
but its nice to know that there are products that dont turn trim white...

at least my paint is glossy,wet,deep and any other adjectives that describe glossy paint!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I have a special glass polishing pad and glass polish for my machine I use on the windshield. Much more aggressive than a clay bar and for a short time after you polish the glass it look factory fresh. Gets all the crud off and can ease the edges of pits and scratches which results in less reflections off the glass surface. Doesn't seem to last long though.
DO you mind sharing the name/brand of the pad and polish yo use on your windshield? Thanks!