Can you wax car after using no rinse wash & wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Can you wax car after using no rinse wash & wax?

My problem is hard water that leaves water spots on the car. So I'm thinking of washing the car with a car wash and water then after that, drying it off then using a no rinse wash & wax (to get rid of any potential water residue). Can I wax it with turtle wax after doing this?
Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
My problem is hard water that leaves water spots on the car. So I'm thinking of washing the car with a car wash and water then after that, drying it off then using a no rinse wash & wax (to get rid of any potential water residue). Can I wax it with turtle wax after doing this?
You only get water spots if the water evaporates from the car and leaves the minerals behind on the painted surfaces.

Solution is don't let the water evaporate. Dry it with a chamois or microfiber towel. Do not use "no rinse wash and wax to get rid of water". To provide protection from ultra violet light and chemical fallout, add a layer of protection in the form of wax or sealant. These coatings also make it easier to rinse off dirt in the future.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I just bought cleaning supplies. This is my plan:

1. Rinse the car with a hose
2. Use Turtle wash and wax soap with water to wash the car then rinse it off
3. Dry car quickly with microfibre cloth
4. Use Dry Shine waterless wash & wax spray on car then wipe it off for a final clean
5. Wax car with carnauba turtle wax and wipe off with microfibre cloth

I'm skipping the claying part since my car is new and probably didn't accumulate to much dirt and stuff. I'm hoping the wax layer makes water slide off to prevent water spots or at least minimize it.

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
You only get water spots if the water evaporates from the car and leaves the minerals behind on the painted surfaces.

Solution is don't let the water evaporate. Dry it with a chamois or microfiber towel. Do not use "no rinse wash and wax to get rid of water". To provide protection from ultra violet light and chemical fallout, add a layer of protection in the form of wax or sealant. These coatings also make it easier to rinse off dirt in the future.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Step 4 is a waste if your waxing .
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm just afraid I might miss water spots from steps 1 to 3

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Step 4 is a waste if your waxing .
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Pro

Why are you so concerned with water spots? Your RDX is new and should not have any water spots etched into the paint yet.

Dry Shine waterless wash & wax is designed for people who can't wash their vehicles with water. For example those who live in condos, or for washing their vehicles during the winter. It is the last choice of product if you do not fall into one of those scenarios.

Another bit of advice is that carnauba wax gives a nice shine, but it doesn't last long. Since winter is nearly upon us, and you won't likely be applying more wax for several months, you should be applying a longer lasting sealant to get you through the winter.

I have always used Meguiar' NXT (which looks really good on dark colored vehicles by the way) but I am currently testing Autoglym High Definition Wax on my RDX. So far it seems to be holding up well after 3 months. The chicks seem to be impressed by the shine, so this is something you should consider. I plan on putting on another application before the snow arrives, to help get me through the winter.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I've found that water stays on the surface longer on the white RDX than other vehicles e.g. silver. I might use the turtle wash & wax, dry off the vehicle with microfibre cloths then let it air dry. I will inspect the car for water spots. If none, I will wax. If there are water spots I will clean again with the Dry Shine first then wax.

I saw the Meguiar wax at the store but it was $34. The Turtle wax was $8 so went with the Turtle wax even though the Meguiar wax is higher quality. Will apply it some time in October probably. During winter if needed I plan to just use the Dry Shine waterless wash & wax or something spray on like that.

Why are you so concerned with water spots? Your RDX is new and should not have any water spots etched into the paint yet.

Dry Shine waterless wash & wax is designed for people who can't wash their vehicles with water. For example those who live in condos, or for washing their vehicles during the winter. It is the last choice of product if you do not fall into one of those scenarios.

Another bit of advice is that carnauba wax gives a nice shine, but it doesn't last long. Since winter is nearly upon us, and you won't likely be applying more wax for several months, you should be applying a longer lasting sealant to get you through the winter.

I have always used Meguiar' NXT (which looks really good on dark colored vehicles by the way) but I am currently testing Autoglym High Definition Wax on my RDX. So far it seems to be holding up well after 3 months. The chicks seem to be impressed by the shine, so this is something you should consider. I plan on putting on another application before the snow arrives, to help get me through the winter.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Pro

I saw the Meguiar wax at the store but it was $34. The Turtle wax was $8 so went with the Turtle wax even though the Meguiar wax is higher quality. Will apply it some time in October probably. During winter if needed I plan to just use the Dry Shine waterless wash & wax or something spray on like that.
Unless you have a heated garage, I think it is very unlikely that you will applying additional products in below freezing temperatures. Even if you did apply some sort of protection, the cold temperatures will slow down chemical reactions which are important for the sealant to bond to the paint. It would also be imperative that you get your RDX perfectly clean (from the salt spray) before rubbing anything on the surface or you will suffer from fine scratches and swirl marks.

As far as I'm concerned you only have one chance to protect your paint through the winter, and that is to put a good long lasting sealant on before freezing temperatures arrive. If you don't want to spend $34 on Meguair's or $50 on AutoGlym, then try NuFinish for $12.49. This has a very long protection period, but doesn't offer the shine and depth that some of the better products offer.

If you want your RDX to look sexy throughout the winter I think you would be willing to purchase the $50 product over the $13 product. I should warn you though that spending the extra $37 has not brought me extra chicks, so you may not want to waste your money.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Good stuff. So at what stage would I put the sealant on, after waxing my car? Or wait a few days then apply the sealant?

Gonna test out the chick theory in real life situation very soon! Like this week. Will report back with the results.

Thanks

Unless you have a heated garage, I think it is very unlikely that you will applying additional products in below freezing temperatures. Even if you did apply some sort of protection, the cold temperatures will slow down chemical reactions which are important for the sealant to bond to the paint. It would also be imperative that you get your RDX perfectly clean (from the salt spray) before rubbing anything on the surface or you will suffer from fine scratches and swirl marks.

As far as I'm concerned you only have one chance to protect your paint through the winter, and that is to put a good long lasting sealant on before freezing temperatures arrive. If you don't want to spend $34 on Meguair's or $50 on AutoGlym, then try NuFinish for $12.49. This has a very long protection period, but doesn't offer the shine and depth that some of the better products offer.

If you want your RDX to look sexy throughout the winter I think you would be willing to purchase the $50 product over the $13 product. I should warn you though that spending the extra $37 has not brought me extra chicks, so you may not want to waste your money.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Sealants and wax do the same job , no need to do both . Sealant is the way to go and BTW sealants wont bond to most waxes ..
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Why are sealants better than wax?

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Sealants and wax do the same job , no need to do both . Sealant is the way to go and BTW sealants wont bond to most waxes ..
Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Why are sealants better than wax?
I found this great website that answered that exactly question: Why are sealants better than wax?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Sealants *are* the new waxes. It's a matter of semantics. It's the evolution of technology and whatnot. They're some kind of synthetic wax voodoo.

You don't want to put a sealant over a wax but you can put a wax on top of a sealant if you wish. I do it all the time - not because it's needed so much but because I have some sort of obsession with spray waxes. I've got a zillion of them - Auquawax, Optimum Car wax, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, Mothers Reflections, etc etc.

But to circle back to your original question - there's really no need to wash your car then dry it then do a no rinse wash. Just wash it and dry it properly. Get a couple cobra guzzlers for drying - don't waste your time with little microfiber towels for drying. Then you can top with your favourite spray wax and your car will be in better shape than 90% of the cars you pass on the road.

Alternatively - just use the no rinse. Those work pretty well these days unless your RDX is covered in dirt.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm that's a good idea. If a sealant lasts longer I will use that after washing the vehicle. Should I return the turtle wax? I bought a case a few days ago.

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Sealants *are* the new waxes. It's a matter of semantics. It's the evolution of technology and whatnot. They're some kind of synthetic wax voodoo.

You don't want to put a sealant over a wax but you can put a wax on top of a sealant if you wish. I do it all the time - not because it's needed so much but because I have some sort of obsession with spray waxes. I've got a zillion of them - Auquawax, Optimum Car wax, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, Mothers Reflections, etc etc.

But to circle back to your original question - there's really no need to wash your car then dry it then do a no rinse wash. Just wash it and dry it properly. Get a couple cobra guzzlers for drying - don't waste your time with little microfiber towels for drying. Then you can top with your favourite spray wax and your car will be in better shape than 90% of the cars you pass on the road.

Alternatively - just use the no rinse. Those work pretty well these days unless your RDX is covered in dirt.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I've found that water stays on the surface longer on the white RDX than other vehicles e.g. silver. I might use the turtle wash & wax, dry off the vehicle with microfibre cloths then let it air dry. I will inspect the car for water spots. If none, I will wax. If there are water spots I will clean again with the Dry Shine first then wax.

Hold on...

You skipped over the premium, luxury wax for a run-of-the-mill basic wax?

Just when things were making sense...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I'm gonna try to wax once per season so four times a year. Might switch to a sealant or spray on wax... Seems a lot easier

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Hold on...

You skipped over the premium, luxury wax for a run-of-the-mill basic wax?

Just when things were making sense...
Old 10-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I've decided not to use the turtle wax paste. The Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax was on sale 25% off so I bought it. Gonna wax it today. Already wash the car with turtle wash & wax and dried the car. Waiting for the sun to go down a bit, even though the meguiar's says you can do it in the sun. Not taking any chances. I also got the Meguiar's quick spray wax. I will use that inbetween the ultimate liquid wax. I have high expectations, we'll see how it goes!

Well, I'm gonna try to wax once per season so four times a year. Might switch to a sealant or spray on wax... Seems a lot easier
Old 10-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Pro

I've decided not to use the turtle wax paste. The Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax was on sale 25% off so I bought it.
I think that was finally a smart decision. Choosing the liquid version was also a good idea because it will not leave the white residue on the black plastic trim of your RDX, and the RDX does have a lot of plastic trim. And FYI there is no wax in this product it is fully synthetic.

Although Mequiar's is a great product, I found that it only lasts for maybe 2 months. My current treatment with Autoglym High Definition Wax is still beading water after 4 months.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 10-11-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

I may try the autoglym next season. It's quite expensive though but if it lasts a lot longer might be worth it. Yeah the meguiar's ultimate liquid wax is more like a sealant. I might spray meguiar's ultimate quikwax on top later. That was also 25% off so picked it up also.

Btw when I waxed I went side to side in sections instead of circular motion, seemed easier. Is any method better than the other?

I think that was finally a smart decision. Choosing the liquid version was also a good idea because it will not leave the white residue on the black plastic trim of your RDX, and the RDX does have a lot of plastic trim. And FYI there is no wax in this product it is fully synthetic.

Although Mequiar's is a great product, I found that it only lasts for maybe 2 months. My current treatment with Autoglym High Definition Wax is still beading water after 4 months.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

Btw when I waxed I went side to side in sections instead of circular motion, seemed easier. Is any method better than the other?
yes, if you lean front back and side to side, you'll attract more female rats.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts

Uhhh, I think you need to go watch The Karate Kid (the 1984 original with Pat Morita and Ralph "the python" Macchio, not that 2010 filth with Jackie Chan and Jaden "my dad's Will" Smith) and learn the proper way of waxing.

Trust Miyagi-san. He will show you the way and the light and how to crane-kick but that will be less useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
justnspace (10-12-2015), thoiboi (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Pro

Although the instructions on the bottle don't say to use small overlapping circular strokes, I have never seen anyone apply it any other way (well, up to now anyway). This particular product can't be any easier to apply, and shouldn't require you to take shortcuts. If you find it tiring I suggest you take a rest between body panels rather than apply it side to side.

It only makes sense that using a circular motion will ensure that the products gets applied more evenly into surface. It can also minimize scratches and swirl marks if you have a speck of dirt trapped on the applicator. The professionals use a dual action applicator to apply these products and not something like a belt sander with a soft pad for this reason.

There is a great web site called YouTube that has extensive videos on how to maintain your RDX's painted surfaces. The manufactures sites such as Mother's and Meguair's also offer many tips, as well as user forums.

that shows how to apply wax/sealant by hand.