Best wax/polish for Black TL's

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best wax/polish for Black TL's

Ok.. So what is the best wax or polish to use on Black TL's ?
Looking to get out the swirls...

I have used all the right towels and applicators and higher end wax (Maguiars ) on my car but curious if there there is something that stands out above the rest?

thanks much !
Old 11-19-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the only way to get rid of swirls is with a polish compound and a machine.
simply put, your hand cannot generate enough pressure and RPM than a dual action polisher can.

read up on DA's here:
Dual Action Orbital Polisher Guide: how to remove swirls, scratches, & oxidation with an orbital buffer. Porter Cable 7424, foam pads, backing plate,

next, we have the topic of wax.
wax is found naturally in nature; while sealant is synthetic and man made.

a sealant will last longer because it has better properties that help repel and keep a deep gloss.

read more about waxes vs sealants here:
Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews

third; as we get into winter this guide will help you winterize your car.
Winterizing Your Car's Exterior, Winter car wash Tips, Preping your car for winter
The following 5 users liked this post by justnspace:
C8N (11-19-2014), CerberusKy (11-19-2014), rthammer (11-27-2014), SinCity-TL (11-19-2014), ucf_bronco (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
I love Meguiars but I would not consider them higher end.
In all reality, the best wax is the one that gets applied.
As long as you stick with a reputable brand, you are fine.
What it boils down to is the aesthetics, application and durability and at the end of the day, it all comes down to your preference.
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Plenty of debate as to what wax/sealant is the best. Personally I prefer sealants, Zaino as the top choice but Blackfire is also popular. Here is a pic of a freshly Zainoed CBP
Attached Thumbnails Best wax/polish for Black TL's-zaino.jpg  
rthammer (11-27-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
These are my recommendations (all are linked), and they perfected the finish on my CBP!

Wash:
Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

Paint prep (much better than clay bar IMO):
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Sponge Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Sponge
Chemical Guys - Luber - Clay &
Clay Block Synthetic Lubricant & Detailer

DA polisher and pads:
Harbor Freight DA Polisher
- 6" blue (polish) pad
- 6" black (sealant) pad
Astro Pneumatic 5" Backing Pad Astro Pneumatic 5" Backing Pad
(to keep the pads from being chewed up as HF backing plate is too big)

Polish and sealant:
Meguiar's Ultimate Polish Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant

The above linked polish and polishing pad are designed for very mild swirls. If you find those don't do the trick you may try a combination that's more abrasive (like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and the orange pad from HF).

Good luck!

Last edited by ucf_bronco; 11-19-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
Fuck I wish we had Harbor Freight in Canada...those things are almost double the cost here

Thanks for all the recommendations Bronco!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lift3d_
Fuck I wish we had Harbor Freight in Canada...those things are almost double the cost here

Thanks for all the recommendations Bronco!
No problem! That sucks you don't have HF in Canada. That place is awesome! I've bought a ton of tools from there and have been happy with all of them.

I did follow some advice I saw online and swapped out the grease in the DA polisher with some from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. There are a couple other "mods" that people recommend including one that swaps out the cord for a longer version and one that moves the on/off switch to the top. It's a great polisher though, especially for the price.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

^ Yep, had my HF DA for about 2 years now and its still kicking strong.
There has been few people who mentioned the HF foam pads falling apart. I tend to think it was from the pad being over-saturated and building up heat but just a precaution, I would stay away from HF foam pads.

I had a 3" Meg's pad fall apart on me. In its defense, I was being extremely aggressive with it. Luckily, it stayed intact enough that the backing plate velcros did not get in contact with the paint but I would hate to see that happening to anyone.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Drifting

^^^ I remember reading some of your posts (on here and another forum where you have the same username) when I was doing my research.

From what I read the main culprit of the HF pads falling apart is the backing plate that comes with the polisher. It extends beyond the white section on the back of the pad and as a result chews it up pretty quickly. The smaller backing plate I bought seems to have alleviated that issue. I've only used the HF pads once but they still look brand new.
justnspace (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I also would like to mention that if one does decide to "correct" his or her own paint, that you also practice great washing techniques.

Other wise ALL your hard work will go down the drain, by inducing those same swirls you worked so hard to get rid of.
rthammer (11-27-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Zaino. Only avIlble at zainostore.com. I used it on my MBM 09 tl that had bad swirl marks. Had it wet sanded prior to trying zaino. Wet sanding didnt do it. Zaino Worked great. There are few differnet products all reasonably priced. I use it now on my WDP tl and shines.
rthammer (11-27-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
^^^ I remember reading some of your posts (on here and another forum where you have the same username) when I was doing my research.

From what I read the main culprit of the HF pads falling apart is the backing plate that comes with the polisher. It extends beyond the white section on the back of the pad and as a result chews it up pretty quickly. The smaller backing plate I bought seems to have alleviated that issue. I've only used the HF pads once but they still look brand new.
Good to hear.
But just as a precaution, check the pad to make sure there are no signs of delamination before each use. I do this regardless of the pad's manufacturer.
rthammer (11-27-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
No matter the wax or sealant you use .. prep is the key .. and after .. washing / drying techniques is critical .
justnspace (11-20-2014)
Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks so much Great intel !
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good advice in here. The keys:

1- Prep, as with anything, is key (a perfectly clean surface is the most important when trying to achieve a perfectly finished surface!)

2- Having the tools for the job. You'll need many pads to get the job done. I suggest cleaning your pad after each section pass, and a new pad after doing each panel. You may need a few different polishes/compounds as well as a good working knowledge of these. But I see you are smart enough to ask in the right places so that'll help you with gaining the right knowledge.

3- Proper maintenance after you finish the job. It's imperative that you take care of it, or within a month or two you'll be seeing the same marring and imperfections you had before you took the man-hours to perfect it!

I'd strongly advise you to check out the Harbor Freight DA, with mods. Or the Griots machine, it's a very good alternative!

As for polishes, there's a few I strongly recommend. First is Meguiar's D151, it's a GREAT all-in-one. Second would be Meguiar's M80...

However, I would also highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you check out Optimum Car Care's Hyper Polish. It's a spray which may deter you at first, but when you break it down and think about it, it's quite genius. You get full pad coverage, don't use nearly as much and never apply TOO much to the pad (2 sprays is PLENTY per section pass).

Hopefully this helped. I realize I'm new here, but if you've got any questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or email me. I'd gladly help you out in any way possible!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:55 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and one more thing... Don't buy into the whole 'certain products for certain colors'. Typically that just means they have a filler. After a few washes they'll be gone and you'll see the marring all over again.