TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Washing your TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few points of advice on claying your car:

1. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE FOR CLAY!!!!
IF YOU DROP YOUR CLAY ON THE FLOOR THROW IT OUT AND START WITH A NEW PIECE!!! (Don't risk putting scratches on your finish with the little pebbles the clay picks up from the ground.)

2. Claying your car will make a HUGE difference in appearance. You can skip this step but you'll be glad that you didn't.

3. Make sure to fold the clay as you use it so that you get a new clean surface to work with.

4. You don't need to buy expensive Clay Lubricants to use Clay. You can just use a mixture of Soap and water to clay. I usually wash my car twice. First time is to get the larger dirt particles off. Then I go at it again but with a soapy sponge in one hand and clay in the other. Makes things quicker.

5. You can cut the bars into smaller pieces so that if you drop one of the pieces while you work, it won't be that big of a loss. One full clay bar should actually last you a pretty long time.

Happy Claying everyone!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 01:44 PM
9th Gear

Pure Adreneline, i guess you did not read far enough into my comments. I would like to add on to my car but with leasing I feel like your kinda throwing away your money or giving something back to the dealer that you paid for. If you have the chance to upgrade your car, go for it. I appreciate all the pics of the tricked out TL's on this web site. I would also like to apologize to everyone who keeps their cars lookin like new. I like my car to look good also, but going to the car wash is just my way of saving time and using the time for something I rather be doing. Oh, by the way my brother is right up there with the rest of you guys when it comes to detailing, all of his vehicles look like they came right out of the showroom. He loves zaino and recommends pinnacle.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by john zendarski
Pure Adreneline, i guess you did not read far enough into my comments. I would like to add on to my car but with leasing I feel like your kinda throwing away your money or giving something back to the dealer that you paid for. If you have the chance to upgrade your car, go for it. I appreciate all the pics of the tricked out TL's on this web site. I would also like to apologize to everyone who keeps their cars lookin like new. I like my car to look good also, but going to the car wash is just my way of saving time and using the time for something I rather be doing. Oh, by the way my brother is right up there with the rest of you guys when it comes to detailing, all of his vehicles look like they came right out of the showroom. He loves zaino and recommends pinnacle.
That's cool.

But I don't see it as wasting money. I can always take the parts off and sell them. I would really be only paying for the period of time I used the mods for. It's not like I'm losing thousands and thousands of dollars. I know there will be a loss, but the joy of having them and enjoying them for years is well worth it. Same principle goes toward leasing.

My dad is always, always busy, and he doesn't have time to wash his car himself. He takes it to a car wash (at least it's a do-it-yourself.. whew). I don't blame him. And I don't blame you.

It's just that your previous post sounded like you were mocking us for wasting time detailing our cars, and that you buy cars for the new car smell.

No hard feelings.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
9th Gear

Just blew $700.00 and change on a new set of Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions great tires. Pure A, I wish I had the same opportunity as you to add extras to my car. LOve to lower it and add new rims. If I knew I could sell my parts after the lease was up I would do it in a heartbeat. Let's see some pics of your car.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:23 PM
the Budman

Question Tree sap removal

I discovered a small spot of tree sap on my new TL on the trunk. Don't ask me how, when or why, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Any good suggestions to remove it? Bug and tar remover?

Thanks... big time!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Just blew $700.00 and change on a new set of Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions great tires. Pure A, I wish I had the same opportunity as you to add extras to my car. LOve to lower it and add new rims. If I knew I could sell my parts after the lease was up I would do it in a heartbeat. Let's see some pics of your car.
At the Import Life Tour show this past March.

Old pictures -->

Old 04-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation Keepin' it real...

That what so great about leasing. ... I know that leasing is not for everyone, and i do not get to trick out my car like some of you other TL owners, but I be the first one ready for that new 06 TL with 300 hp and AWD. LOVE THAT NEW CAR SMELL. Keep on scrubin guys.
That's one perspective. On the other hand, I had my last fine car for 14 years and 99,000 miles. It still looked as good as the day I got it. And I buy spray cans of that "new car smell". The same ones they use at the factory. Oh, the other difference is that I haven't had a car payment for 11 years. Now multiply that times your monthly lease payment.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Clay Bar!

Originally Posted by budman
I discovered a small spot of tree sap on my new TL on the trunk. Don't ask me how, when or why, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Any good suggestions to remove it? Bug and tar remover?
Thanks... big time!
Budman,

Go to www.autopia.com and do a search on "clay bar". You will want to get and use a clay bar. It removes all contaminates gently and safely. It has no harsh chemicals. They will have suggestions and instructions on the detailer site. It is inexpensive and easy. I like Meguire's or Clay Magic. They're both good and less than $10 for a kit that you can order right there.

X P Ditor, Prez
TEAM CAMEL
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
New car smell? My Zaino leather cleaner can provide that. I bet you money my interior will smell better than yours, and for the years to come, because I always detail my car, and you don't. Sooner or later, your great new car smell will wear off and you'll left wondering whether you should now get a new car or not, whereas our cars, while older than your fancy new ones, will most likely be in as good as, or in better, shape.
I love that Zaino leather cleaner smell! :clown:

X P
Old 04-15-2004, 08:40 AM
the Budman

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Budman,

Go to www.autopia.com and do a search on "clay bar". You will want to get and use a clay bar. It removes all contaminates gently and safely. It has no harsh chemicals. They will have suggestions and instructions on the detailer site. It is inexpensive and easy. I like Meguire's or Clay Magic. They're both good and less than $10 for a kit that you can order right there.

X P Ditor, Prez
TEAM CAMEL
Thanks, will check it out. Can't wait to get it off!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Hey Type-S lady. I call the prelude the oil burner because after 4 years, it started to burn oil at record rates. I had to pour in at least a quart every week. Very unusual for a Honda, I know, but I had been taking the car to Jiffy Lube and I think they screwed up the engine. Must have forgotten to put oil in one time. Word of advice, never go to Jiffy Lube. They check off items that they don't perform and charge you 30 bucks. Anyway, I ended up trading it in for my TL.

Alright, now who here can tell me how much Dawn to mix with my water for washing, stripping wax?
Old 04-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Alright, now who here can tell me how much Dawn to mix with my water for washing, stripping wax?
I usually hold the bottle of Dawn upside down for about 4 seconds while pressing it firmly. Seems to be enough..
Old 04-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet info from this thread
Old 04-23-2004, 06:08 PM
CrookedGrind

what is the proper order of cleaning?

clean with soap and then clay, or vice versa?

-----------------
96 Acura 2.5TL
Stock Spoiler
Old 04-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Pretty sure it's Dawn, Clay, Polish, Wax
Old 04-23-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb The dawn of a new Clean Car.

Originally Posted by wonderboy
Pretty sure it's Dawn, Clay, Polish, Wax
In general, yes. But use Dawn sparingly like once every six months for a serious deep cleaning. It is harsh on the rubber and plastic parts.

Then wash with a specialized car wash like Meguire's Deep Crystal or Gold Class or any one of a number of specialized car washes.

Then, if it needs it, use the clay bar on a wet, lubricated surface with back and forth strokes- not circular. Just push the clay up and area slowly, then move over and do it again. All the time, spraying with some car wash diluted in a spray bottle. The clay will drag on the surface when it's picking up foreign bodies. When the clay slides easy, it's decontaminated.

Go to www.autopia.com and you can get more details than you ever wanted.

XP
Old 04-26-2004, 02:35 AM
CrookedGrind

what's the deal with autopia

I keep seeing the site www.autopia.com mentioned for advice on cleaning cars. When I go there, it is a site about dentists. Are you spelling it wrong?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:29 AM
CrookedGrind

5 Star Shine or Bom

Has anyone used 5 star shine or Bom?

These products sound too good to be true. But if they are great, someone let me know. They sound a lot easier than the back-breaking tediousness of waxing a car.

96 Ac Tl
Spoiler
Chrome fifteens
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Kicks Ass

Try this site http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry. My error.

Originally Posted by CrookedGrind
I keep seeing the site www.autopia.com mentioned for advice on cleaning cars. When I go there, it is a site about dentists. Are you spelling it wrong?

The correct site is www.autopia.org.

XP
Old 05-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Racer

What's the consensus on auto car washes? Are they really horrible on the paint? Is a "hand Wash" carwash place better than the conveyor belt type? I use them for a number of reasons:

1. Driveway washing of cars was banned for a while this year and could be again soon due to the drought. Auto car washes have to recycle their water so they use less (but it's filtered). Also, all the soapy water runs into the drains which goes into the Lake, where our water comes from.

2. Ever tried to wash a car in the desert? I have to hand-wash our convertible Wrangler, and the washwater dries before I can finish a panel. He only gets a bath once a year

3. Our third vehicle is a 3/4 ton pickup. Almost need climbing gear to reach the windshield (one foot on the tyre, one foot on the step, and get a good grip on the wing mirror).

The only time I waxed my Acura, I got it washed on the way home and then waxed it inside the garage the next morning (it was summer, and already nearing 100 degrees). I used that tinted Turtle Wax stuff, which really helped with all the little dings and scratches.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation You want consensus?

Well, here's my view:

I just sold a car I had for 14 years that never saw a mechanized car wash except for the DIY kind with a pressure wand. After 14 years of hand washing and TLC, it looked the same as the day I got it new.

I would not subject my TL to a car wash !! Firstly, it would probably chew up the rims in the steel channel that directs the car.

Secondly, when I hand wash my TL in my driveway, I have three wash mits. The new lambs wool for the top and most of the sides, another wool 10" mit for the rocker panels, front and rear bumper from the bottom up 10". Then the 3rd for the wheels and wheel wells. I use two buckets so I rinse in a clear water bucket, not the soapy one. I use a special car wash which is gentle, has suds to lubricate, but doesn't strip the wax.

The thought of putting my TL through a car wash and having the surfaces assaulted by those slapping pieces of carpet with imbedded cinders and the blowers sending water into places I never heard of - is too much for me to contemplate.

Besides, washing it is a sensual exercise: stroking those beautiful curves with a soapy lamb's wool mit..... It's better than sex. It IS sex. :devil:

XP
Old 05-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Racer

LOL! Do you get this "interested" in vacuuming? I've washed a lot of cars in my time, and never felt that way! Must be a guy thing... although hubby always got depressed when we washed his baby (a 91 Prelude with 4 wheel steering in the UK), 'cos he'd always find another stone chip or something.

Handwashing really isn't an option in this climate. It's impossible, even if it wasn't prohibited! Between the sun, the heat, the wind, the dry climate and the hard water, it would take forever to get to the exacting standards you guys live up to. And knowing my luck, I'd just get done and be tagged by a bird or swooshed in a dust devil!

I've never tried the wand-type washes, but that might be an option. The "hand wash" types scare me 'cos it involves some complete stranger getting in the car. I wonder what the dealer does... I'll have to ask next time I'm there.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xpditor
In general, yes. But use Dawn sparingly like once every six months for a serious deep cleaning. It is harsh on the rubber and plastic parts.

Then wash with a specialized car wash like Meguire's Deep Crystal or Gold Class or any one of a number of specialized car washes.

The main reason why some would use Dawn is to STRIP the car of any waxes down to the bare clearcoat. Washing with another product like car wash solution is re-introducing another form of shine enhancer" or another layer of wax on top of the clearcoat, negating the first washing of Dawn soap.

You should not use Dawn unless you plan to thoroughly clay-bar your car, then wash/ polish/ wax it after. Using it more than once a year is plenty enough as it does ruin your weather stripping and other non-painted surfaces.

An easier method I used is to Dawn wash a section at a time (roof- hood-trunk-sides) clay barring as I go along, then re-washing a section with nothing but clean water to remove QD residue, drying, then going directly into polishing/ waxing. I finish it off by using a polisher with a MF bonnet for an added shine.

Over the years, I found the Armor-all car wash concentrate (blue) is the best for any protected paint surface as it leaves the paint squeaky clean any no sign of added waxes and shine enhancers.

Be careful of what you buy as some of the big names can be "rebranded" containers of the same stuff. Usually the same containers is a giveaway of something costing twice as much from the other.

Car washes does brutal stuff to your paint and will cause swirl marks and spider webs on your paint becasue the dirt and grit from the other Joe's SUV was still on the brushes of the wash when you drove thru it. If you love your car enough, you will never take it thru a car wash (unless it's touchless), and even then it may not be safe for your rim, if it's painted or clearcoated. As far as washing in th desert, my brother lived in Phoenix and had the problem of the car drying up right away and causing spots. It was resolved when he installed a reverse-osmosis system for the house that used soft water. I guess it's the same as using this new Mr. Clean car wash as it softens the water you use to rinse the car off.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:11 AM
5th Gear

I first rinse down my car with water. I use Meguiars Crystal Deep car soap and a handmitten with a soft side and a bit ruff sponge on the other side (to get the dry bugs off the bumper).. then when done washing my car. I then use the Wet & Dry spray wax cause it waxes the car while i'm drying it..
Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Okay, I realize I'm bringing up an old post..but I think it's a good one. I just wanted to add a couple tips from my experience w/ washing my own cars.

I'm a morning person so this is kinda easy for me. I like to wash my car in the morning, usually about 7am or so. That way I'm not in too much of a hurry worrying about water spots or soap film drying. I guess if you like to sleep in u could wash in evening or under shade if you have it.

I know Dawn/Joy etc. will strip wax off cars. I use really any wash designed for cars, Costco carries a big jug of Meguiers I believe, or something comparable. Honestly though, I used to use dawn by the bucket load to wash my car in the past and it was just fine. Might not have been smooth as ice, but my car shined and the water beaded just fine. I waxed about every 4 months or so. So for anyone who might have used it or still do, I don't think it will actually harm anything, just pull some of the wax off.

As for drying my car this might seem like a simple trick, but it really works well. Most people use a hose w/ a sprayer to wash and rinse car, I do. Anyway, after final rinse take the sprayer off the hose and simply run the water from the hose like sheets of water over the roof, hood, trunk, sides. This takes 90% of the water beads off the car and makes drying a breeze I prefer to use the Absorber, kinda like a chamois...but much better and more durable. I guess you can use clean towels, but might scratch/swirl the paint.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Advanced

I'm lucky to have a touchless car wash near me. It does a good job on winter salt and normal dirt build up but doesn't dry the car. I just hit the highway and let it blow off! I haven't had any problems with using one.

I was wondering if anyone bought and tried those home power washer kits. Not the kind that does patios and decks as the force would be too strong on cars. Any luck with one of those?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Speed Addict

Zaino is a pita, it looks great, but isn't much protection.

Get some nice zymol products, not the crap you get at the store, but online at the zymol site... I have a wax that was $1,400. Its absolutely kick ass, makes my 18 y/o Porsche gleam like new (black) When I got the wax, I was a little skeptical, but it changed the paint from dark blackish grey to a black hole. Even my dad's C6 that I used this wax on is a different color than the same car of its twin... We see ones with shoddy wax on them and the look copper, where my dad's car looks like a sunkist can...

Now you don't have to spend $1400 on zymol, but they do make it... I would get some Japon, which is formulated for Japanese cars, and some of their car wash soap, and it should be good to go! It's only about $40 or so...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't sleep...I wait

Check out this website www.ocdetails.com. Click on the university tab and that will give you a good understanding of professional detailing and what you need to complete the job. Fun stuff!!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Pro

i only wash my car with water..but i go over it twice becuz im not suppose to use soap on my car...becuz its a black car..or else after awhile it makes the car looks old and cheap..from the paint...
Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

I use a steady stream of water and do this once 4 to 6 weeks. Before I purchased the car I had the dealer apply Xzilon car paint protectant and will get it done every 12 to 18 months. When I use the water I watch the water bead off the car and it is amazing to watch the dirt roll off with the water.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
When my car is really dirty, or once it's spring time, I use Dawn to thoroughly clean the car. This will get nearly all of dirt and old wax/polish off the paint. This means there's nothing on top of the clearcoat. I consider that my playground.

After washing with Dawn, I use a clay bar to remove any remaining residue on the paint. This could include anything from tar to old wax, whatever.

After the clay bar process, I wash it with Dawn one more time. After that, I use the Zaino car wash to give it another wash.

After that, I use Z2, Z5 and/or Z7 Gloss Enhancer. Zaino takes a long time when compared to other wax/polish products, but it's well worth the time.

www.zainostore.com for more information. Best stuff you will ever put on your car.
as to detergent taking off clear coat. it DOES strip away ALL WAX clearcoat and it will remove the oil from your car’s paint which is not good. and my goodness, it probably leaves one heck of a sudsy mess all over the street.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
9th Gear

Zaino is not a wax. I only said wax in the previous post because Tristero may use wax instead of a polymer like Zaino.

You can only apply so many coats of Zaino on a given day. And it varies depending on temperature, wind speed, humidity, thickness of coat applied, etc. It may sound complicated, but it really isn't.

And no, it won't last forever. You have to keep washing and applying more coats as time goes by. I typically do about 2 coats a week (during the warm seasons, of course), and doing a Dawn wash every 2-3 months, depending on where you live.

Once again, to satisfy Homer's inquisitive mind , Zaino is NOT a wax. It's a polymer. But the way you apply it is much the same as applying wax.

Sorry for the confusion if anyone was confused by my statement. I only said wax because I figured it's the "universal term". Not everyone understands when someone says "polymer", but they do understand wax. And since they are applied in a similar method, I just figured I would use the universal term in order to avoid confusing anyone. But I see that it may have just caused more confusion in itself. :-/

Oh, well.

P.S. Homer, I do see that you're a Zaino distributor.
Picked up Zaino for my new TL - would you mind explaining how to use the clay bar?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheDutch
Picked up Zaino for my new TL - would you mind explaining how to use the clay bar?

Thanks,
Greg
See this thread in the Wash & Wax Forum. Wow, just noticed the date of the original post, talk about resurrection.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:42 PM
4th Gear

What do you guys think about Using DiamondKote as protector pkg for the car off the showroom floor?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
as to detergent taking off clear coat. it DOES strip away ALL WAX clearcoat and it will remove the oil from your car’s paint which is not good. and my goodness, it probably leaves one heck of a sudsy mess all over the street.
Yeah, that's the whole point. I just like to use Dawn to strip everything off once in a while and start all over on a clean surface.

It's not so horrible. My dad used Dawn constantly to wash his Tahoe back in the days. I didn't know any better, either, because I was just a little kid and I wasn't so much into paint protection back then. However, after owning and washing the car with Dawn for like 6 years, the paint was still in great condition when he traded it in on his new car.

Bottom line, it's not a great idea to use it all the time. My dad only did it because he just didn't know any better. But once in a while, if you want to strip everything down (like after a long, brutal winter in Michigan), it's a good idea to use it. And no, I don't let it flow to the street. It flows to our lawn, and it doesn't leave a sudsy mess.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm Baaack!

Another issue with Dawn is that it will dry out the rubber seals. If you do NEED to use it, make sure you use a good rubber revitalizer when your done. (i.e. 303)
Old 05-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Another issue with Dawn is that it will dry out the rubber seals. If you do NEED to use it, make sure you use a good rubber revitalizer when your done. (i.e. 303)

What do you guys think about this method? I'm riding a silver 01 TL. Swirls are not obvious.

Wash with dawn(not all the time)
Clay Bar (mothers)
3M swirl remover polish
Klasse AIO
Klasse High Gloss Sealant

The more and more I read on the many detailing sites, sealant seems like a good protectant as it's Synthetic wax
Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I will like to know what Zaino is and who do you use it.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check out www.autopia.org

I use what you've listed, except I don't use dawn, the clay and aio will take off any wax that's on the car.

This is what I do:

clay bar (doesn't matter what kind).
one coat of aio
2-3 coats of sg (put it on very thin, wait a couple of hours between coats, if you put it on too heavy use some detail spray to take it off)
When I'm done, I put on a coat of P21S for gloss and depth (this stuff will only last for about a month), straight carnuba wax, no cleaners.

Silver is a tough color, what do you think about this?

I'm also experimenting with some wheel wax, aio is also good for wheels.

I've never used Zaino, but probably will give it a try this summer.

Quick Reply: Washing your TL