TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Question from Japan, about cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by amfjabe

Now I am trying to find out if Gentex NVS Autodimming Mirror fits my Saber.
I have though to ask this question to this forum, but I think that your TL has the mirror as a standard part.

I am visiting Richmond Va. during Jan. 20 - Jan. 24.
While it is a business trip, I am happy to visit the birth country of my Saber.
Hey what's up,

I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are doing well. I still have my 99 TL, but is in germany now. Hopefully I will get station in japan on my next tour.

The TL does have the mirror standard and I'm very sure the same mirror will fit your saber.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TLBaller,

Thank you for the message.
Yes, I am still in the forum.

Now I am trying to find out if Gentex NVS Autodimming Mirror fits my Saber.
I have though to ask this question to this forum, but I think that your TL has the mirror as a standard part.

I am visiting Richmond Va. during Jan. 20 - Jan. 24.
While it is a business trip, I am happy to visit the birth country of my Saber.

Well my Saber is more than 40,000 miles in two years and still in a good condition.
I change engine oil every 3,000 miles and transmission oil every 12,000 mile.
I have replaced break pads at 30,000 miles, tires at the same time, air cleaner element and air clean filter of air conditioning every year, and battery this month.

Thank you again for speaking to me and I will say that I always enjoy this forum.
Hey amfjabe! long time no see. I have the Inspire Helm Manual and the US Spec TL so if you want to know something about the wiring, write me an email. RWTGET@AOL.COM.

By the way does any company make the side markers for the Saber/ Inspire in clear or smoke color instead of orange?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Mr. Abe,
I recently changed from a 1996 2.5 TL to a 1999 TL and wondered what Japanese drivers thought of the made in USA Inspire/Saber, so I found your messages very interesting. I also enjoyed the links to Japanese websites. (English speakers can use world.altavista.com to read these)
I hope you have a good trip to the USA and can find your autodimming mirror at an Acura dealer.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Racer

amfjabe -- i know i'm going off topic but i was wondering if the Nissan Skyline 350GT (aka: Infiniti G35 Coupe) is popular in Japan because it's popular around here. Do more people buy the Nissan Skyline V35 (Infiniti g35 Sedan) or the Skyline 350GT? Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Bitium
Hey what's up,
I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you are doing well. I still have my 99 TL, but is in germany now. Hopefully I will get station in japan on my next tour.
The TL does have the mirror standard and I'm very sure the same mirror will fit your saber.
Thank you for the information.
Yes, I believe that I can find the mirror in the US.
By the way, I hope that you are doing well in Germany!
Originally posted by NighthawkBlack
Hey amfjabe! long time no see. I have the Inspire Helm Manual and the US Spec TL so if you want to know something about the wiring, write me an email. RWTGET@AOL.COM.
By the way does any company make the side markers for the Saber/ Inspire in clear or smoke color instead of orange?
Once I could get the mirror and got in trouble in installation, please help.
About clear side markers, since US made Inspire/Saber is not a major player here in Japan very few after market parts have been introduced by companies other than HONDA.
But I will check on Japanese website once I could be back to Japan. (I am in China from yesterday for a week).
Originally posted by govarian
Hello Mr. Abe,
I recently changed from a 1996 2.5 TL to a 1999 TL and wondered what Japanese drivers thought of the made in USA Inspire/Saber, so I found your messages very interesting.
US made Inspire/Saber has a good reputation of drivers who knows the performance well.
However in the aspect of quality interior and overall quality level, unfortunately the car doesn't have a good reputation compared to other players especially Toyota.
Also one disadvantage of US made Inspire/Saber is the big size.
Competitors (Toyota Mark II, Nissan Skyline and etc.) has a bit smaller size that fits to the narrow streets and mechanical parking facilities in down town.
And one other thing is that drivers who buy this segment is not young people but a middle age ones.
Of course some of them love driving but the majority have their cars as just a vehicle for transportation and not for a fun.
Then they tend to buy cars with quite conservative style and not exciting specification but have good quality.
I think that US made Inspire/Saber is an exciting car.
Originally posted by ColdFusionTL
amfjabe -- i know i'm going off topic but i was wondering if the Nissan Skyline 350GT (aka: Infiniti G35 Coupe) is popular in Japan because it's popular around here. Do more people buy the Nissan Skyline V35 (Infiniti g35 Sedan) or the Skyline 350GT? Thanks in advance
In Japan, Skyline sedan has 2.5L, 3.0L and 3.5L.
The best sold is with smallest 2.5L.
And I think that Skyline has quite similar characteristics that US made Inspire/Saber have.
I mean both provide a fun to drive but not conservative.
Then critics says these are great but not so good as sales result.
Skyline coupe is quite accepted as Japanese car manufacturers doesn't have many in this segment (medium size coupe)
However I think that it is true that the market size of this segment in Japan is not so big.
Competition is foreigners like BMW 3 series coupe.
I hope that this information is a help.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

New member here! After living in Japan for the last 3 1/2 years I have fallen in love with cars. I love the custom jobs that go on over there -- GOOD TASTE as far as cosmetic mods go. Since being home, I visit Japan fairly often. Are there any parts for our cars that would be of interest? I am going on vacation to Tokyo, and I don't want to come home empty handed. Another thing I was dying to to with my old Maxima was to get a deck that plays MDs ----
Old 01-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Willykun
New member here! After living in Japan for the last 3 1/2 years I have fallen in love with cars. I love the custom jobs that go on over there -- GOOD TASTE as far as cosmetic mods go. Since being home, I visit Japan fairly often. Are there any parts for our cars that would be of interest? I am going on vacation to Tokyo, and I don't want to come home empty handed. Another thing I was dying to to with my old Maxima was to get a deck that plays MDs ----
Willykun,
Since our cars are not a majority in Japan, after market parts are quite few.
HONDA has some parts for our cars (http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/saber/)
I believe that some people on this forum have got some of the parts from HONDA, Japan.
For any assistants I can provide you during your stay in Tokyo, please let me know.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Pusha Z

Re: Question from Japan, about cruise control

I am writing from Japan.
Masatoshi Abe
Yokohama, Japan
Abe, can I be your friend? Will you pick up the receiver when I call for those hard to get Fairlady Z parts? Or will you just let the machine ignore me? Did you get the cookies? Mom made em

And Willykun your services could be invaluable to the Acura community. Ever thought about bringing parts back for your new friends at the acura site?
Old 07-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

For a random FYI:
The cruise control system simply monitors speed and applies a throttle accordingly. A motor placed under the hood on the left side when looking front on with the car pulls a wire, which is linked to the drive-by-wire throttle used by the regular gas pedal (There are two receivers on some models, but the end result is the same).
I'm sure a third-party cruise control system is available somewhere for older cars which would probably do about the same thing. Get the switches from a US dealer for steering wheel mount and link the brake to a cancel and you're set.

-M
Old 07-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by amfjabe
I am writing from Japan.
I have just ordered Honda Saber (that is Acura TL in USA) here in Japan. It is coming in next week.

http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/saber/
http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/saber/photo_lib/

Saber is made in USA and imported to Japan with the steering wheel on the right.

Here is my question.
Unfortunately Saber here doesn't have a cruise control even for the Type-S.
I really need the equipment.
I have asked Honda if it is possible to install a cruise control to my Saber but the answer was NO.

As I know all the TL's in your country have cruise control, my question is if it is possible for me to purchase a complete cruise control kit for TL from your country.

I apperciate any of your information.

Masatoshi Abe
Yokohama, Japan

does japan has a highway you can cruise?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Hi amfjabe,

Welcome to the forum (although I am new myself). By looking at the photos of the honda japan website it seems like Saber is the US Gen 3 TL and the Inspire is the current US Accord 4 door. If this is the case you may want to find out which model you have and buy the cruse control parts accordingly.

As other said there may be fitment issue (i.e. left and right hand drive difference on the cruse control switch, mirror image), and electrical issue (component runs off different ECU or require different protocol in the communication if it is running on CAN bus).

Wish you luck in your search, and I hope that the US Gen 4 TL will hit Japan soon too, I really like this car.

Shing
Old 12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Hi amfjabe,

Welcome to the forum (although I am new myself). By looking at the photos of the honda japan website it seems like Saber is the US Gen 3 TL and the Inspire is the current US Accord 4 door. If this is the case you may want to find out which model you have and buy the cruse control parts accordingly.

As other said there may be fitment issue (i.e. left and right hand drive difference on the cruse control switch, mirror image), and electrical issue (component runs off different ECU or require different protocol in the communication if it is running on CAN bus).

Wish you luck in your search, and I hope that the US Gen 4 TL will hit Japan soon too, I really like this car.

Shing
the TL is only in 3rd gen, the 4th gen won't be out till at least 2008
Old 12-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Oops, I was ment to say Gen 3 instead of Gen 4
Old 12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Hi amfjabe,

Welcome to the forum ....
think you're a bit late he joined almost 3 years ago
Old 05-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Instructor

welcome to the site!!!!!!!!!! to answer your question for all honda are all built the same way. the come with every thing thats to of the line be sides navi. if the left side of your steering wheel is blank you should try and open the panel there should be open harness
for your cruz contr. now all you have to do is find the parts for it! how hard is it to send and recive things from JP. good luck
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes we want pics plz. i cant read that honda website.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by rkan121
yes we want pics plz. i cant read that honda website.
Did you not look at the date that this was posted?