TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)

**** EDIT ****

SUMMARY FROM POST#229:

Originally Posted by carcar
Every new feature people on this board have discovered is right here. Sorry if it's confusing. Any feedback is appreciated. Hope this saves many people time.

• Coin holder can be removed and then mounted on the map pocket (1)
• When you extend the visor, the whole shade moves (5)
• For the manual transmission it appears that the computer does RPM matching for upshifts. To test it, try this: In second gear, wind the car to say, 4000 RPM, engage the clutch, and RPMS should drop and stabilize for a second. At about 3000 RPMs disengage the clutch and that RPM is perfectly matched to road speed.
• Hitting the same number on the dash as the CD/DVD playing pauses the CD/DVD. Hit it again to play where you left off. Holding it down for a couple seconds stops the CD/DVD.
• Using “Goof Off” on the sun visor stickers helps remove them.
• You can LOCK the trunk from the glove compartment (valet, etc.)
• The front headrests pivot forward and back as well as up and down.
• When you “lock” the window controls from passengers, their window operation switches don’t light up. When you unlock the windows, they light up. Unfortunately, some say it also stops lighting and locks the driver’s window (?)
• There is a seat massage function that engages on rough roads (haha)
• Push and hold the eject button on the changer and all of the disks spit out. Push the eject button again and it stops where you want.
• To eject a specific disk, simply push the number of the disk. The screen will switch to XM, but it will eject. To eject another one, press that number and so on.
• Golf bags fit nicely in the trunk (wheelbase wise)
• To transfer a call to your phone, press the phone button on the wheel and say “transfer.” It also works the other way (to transfer a call from the phone to the HFL)
• Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Navigation Diagnostics Menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info.

For example, under GPS Navigation, you can see in real time which satellites you are tracking.
• You can reset your microphone level to how you talk. You can calibrate for new different radius tires, as well as see the status of many of the cars other systems that are tied in to the navigation computer and otherwise.

Then there is a trip computer of sorts, that somehow provides the data to the main trip computer. It measures in metric. I think it measures your speed in, believe it or not, millimeters per seconds. You can also use this screen to save a log to a PC card (the slot is on the unit in the trunk). May void warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
• To go through commands more quickly, press the Voice Command button, say your command, and PRESS THE BUTTON AGAIN. That way you don’t have to wait for it to repeat! And don’t be afraid to call out the numbers fast; it does do a good job recognizing them using this new tip.
• When you set your seat, temperature, and mirror settings, and then save them, then take out the key, hold the Lock and unlock button for 1 second to link or unlink the key to the car (1 blink = link, 2 blinks = unlink) Do the same for the other key but with different driver and setting.... when you switch keys and press the unlock button, the car automatically moves the seat to the specific driver and shifts the mirrors and stuff.
• HFL Volume is stored differently from audio volume; this means they can each operate at different settings.
• The driver and passenger doors in the TL open extra wide, more than other vehicles on the market. There appears to be 3 “pause” sections (as opposed to 2) where the door stops, then if you push it further, it will stop at another section.
• If you have an incoming call, hit the “Call” button and the system will mute/pause the audio for you, the will resume after call is ended.
• There is a gas cap holder on the gas cap door hinge to store the cap while filling up.
• Voice Command, “Display current location,” and the system will display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude. However, the system will also TELL YOU the address, town, and state. Pressing the white circle does the same thing, but w/out the voice prompts.
• Pressing the MAX button brightens all dash lights/buttons. Pressing it again returns the lights/buttons to their previous light settings.
• To have the tilt-down mirror feature activate, put the mirror adjustment switch to the right to have the driver mirror tilt down. For the passenger mirror to tilt down, switch it to the left. If you leave it in the middle, the feature will disengage. When you are in reverse going over 5 MPH, the mirror will tilt to it’s regular position. Go under 5 MPH again and it will tilt.
• Pressing the “Lock” button on the fob twice makes the vehicle beep. But, if the trunk is open or a door is ajar, the vehicle will not beep, just lock. A great reminder that one of the doors is ajar.
• To clear/reset the trip computer, hold the Select/Reset for a few seconds.

• To completely turn off the Nav screen, go into setup, screen 1, and select “OFF DISPLAY”

• To guarantee that the voice command mic heard you, instead of saying 80, say eight-zero. For 18, say one-eight, and so on. This eliminates confusion between, say, 80 and 18.

• Put the key in the driver’s door key slot and tilt it in the lock position. Hold it, and all of the windows and sunroof close. To open them all, tilt the key in the unlock position. You can use the keyfob to roll DOWN, the windows, but not up (for safety reasons). This happens to be in the manual.

• There is a cut in the corner of the upper console tray for your cell/PDA charger cable.
• There is a recess on the right-side of the interior trunk lid to close the trunk without getting your fingers dirty.

If you are on Setup screen, for example, and want to switch the audio, press the Audio button. Do your adjustments, and when you’re done, press the Audio button again to bring up your Setup screen. All of your information there was saved and looks just like it did. Works like the Back button, but bringing you to your previous screen and whatever’s on the screen.
• The Keyless memory settings extend beyond the seat memory, mirror memory, and temperature memory to include preferences for locking and unlocking the doors, headlights, and many others.
• The Bluetooth feature works if your phone is ANYWHERE in or near your car. Your phone can even be in the trunk!!
• In the Navigation diagnostics mode (to see how to get to this mode see, go into GPS Information. You’ll be able to see the number of satellites you’re tracking. While on the screen, push and hold the Menu button for 10 seconds. You’ll see the GPS etail screen. On the top you’ll see you’re speed in metrics. This is how you can see if your instrument panel speedometer is correct!
• If you say select voice commands wrong, for instance “Play CD,” the NAV screen will display what you should be saying, which is “CD Play.”

When using the HFL with a Bluetooth phone, you can still press the buttons on the phone although the sound is coming from the audio system. Handy when checking voicemail or a tone activated system.
• When the CD/DVD/Radio is playing, pressing the Phone button on the steering wheel pauses (CD/DVD) or mutes (radio) the audio that’s being played. This works even if the phone is not connected. To un-mute it, press the back button.
• Inside the trunk, there are to 2 mounting knobs on the upper trunk area and 1 on each side of the car that are aligned with the top ones. Installing it in such a manner that it looks like it splits the forward and back areas of the trunk--hanging in the air like a hammock.
• If you live in the south of the US and
- do a search in the Navigation for all ACURA dealers
- (and display by nearest locations)
- you can go to the farthest location( at the bottom of the list ),
- and select that dealer, in
this case is in Alberta Canada (2180 miles away from Houston),
- and then select any of those dealers ,
- and then select display map location (center button),
- it will take you into CANADA!
• To close, then tilt the sunroof (while it’s open), just press the tilt button and it does all of the work, instead of having to auto close, then tilt the sunroof by pressing two buttons (slide, then tilt). Also, about the sunroof, the manual shade slides extra far back to provide a bigger opening.
• Interior lights go out after 3 minutes of a door being ajar.
• When wipers are on intermittent, and you stop the car, the speed of the wipers goes down to the lowest setting for intermittent. When you speed up to 10 mph, the setting resets. You will notice this when the intermittent speed is on the highest setting and then pauses at a light.
• To make the annoying seatbelt warning chime stop chiming and blinking, all you have to do is simply buckle up! (ahaha)
• The map pockets in the door open/tilt to accept larger items.
• If you enter an address, the NAV will calculate 5 different routes. To go through these different routes, press the button in the top right corner of the screen. It will read “1/5” or “2/5” and so on. Note, whichever choice you make will be your default routing for all later routes until you change this.
• To run a diagnostic test on the Bluetooth system, press and hold the cancel button for 5 seconds.
• If you’re in the middle of a phone conversation and turn of the car (because you’re home), the HFL system will still work until you end the call.
• The TL comes with a sample DVD-Audio Disk.

**** /EDIT ****

I love it when you find new features in a car months or even years after you bought it...

I have owned my TL for 1 month and I just found a "new feature." I have complained about the lack of storage in this car as well as the lack of a good "change tray" instead of the coin holder thingy in the center console....

This doesn't solve the storage fallback, but for those of you who didnt notice, the Coin Holder is held in place by two stubs in the back of it which fit into two notches cut into the center console. Well, the coin holder can also be mounted inside either map pocket of the front doors by the same type of notch cutouts. I love it! Why dont other people post "new features" they've found so we can all check them out!

Last edited by Bearcat94; 12-23-2011 at 09:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Black_Pride:
ArtS (07-08-2022), DASS (01-21-2015), Mike Montano (11-07-2013)
Old 11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

AWESOME INFORMATION. THANKS VERY MUCH! I may have never noticed that.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Black_Pride - I just went and looked at my car and darn if you're not right. I doubt if I would have ever noticed. Thanks.
I'll probably move the coin holder now because of this info.
'04 TL White Diamond Pearl, Parchment, Navi, Automatic
Old 11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
BOOK EM

GOOOD IDEEA!! LETS SEEE MOOORE!!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just found out that the sun shade extension is the whole shade moves! I though they were skimping when a didn't find a little tab extension as in my previous TL! LOL
Old 11-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vtechbrain
I just found out that the sun shade extension is the whole shade moves! I though they were skimping when a didn't find a little tab extension as in my previous TL! LOL
Very cool! I did not notice that. This website is awesome.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Ok, I'm lost. What are you guys talking about regarding the sunshade extension?

BTW, nice thread.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Instructor

The visor.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Racer

Well for the manual owners in the crowd it appears that the computer does RPM matching for upshifts. To test it try this. In second gear wind the car to say, 4000 RPM, engage the clutch, RPMS should drop and stabilize for a second at about 3000 RPMs disengage the clutch and that RPM is perfectly matched to road speed. I noticed this yesterday on mine and it seems to work everytime as long as the RPMs are high enough (3500+).
Old 11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Instructor

I just found out in my non-Navi car that when a CD or DVD-A is playing if you hit the same number button (1-6) as the disk that is playing, it pauses the playing of the disk. If you hit the button again it starts playing again.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

Cool

I found that out yesterday, cool. I have to look for the coin box notches on the map pockets!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:53 PM
DNA
Instructor

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but speaking of sun visors, do the warning stickers on the visors just peal off by sticking a finger nail under them? (I'm afraid to try it for fear they are more permanently attached and I'll damage the visors.)

-David
Old 11-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Originally posted by DNA
I'm embarrassed to ask this, but speaking of sun visors, do the warning stickers on the visors just peal off by sticking a finger nail under them? (I'm afraid to try it for fear they are more permanently attached and I'll damage the visors.)

-David
Great question....I was wondering the samething...about 5 years ago and have been to afraid to try.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Mav
Great question....I was wondering the samething...about 5 years ago and have been to afraid to try.
I started to try to get a corner off on mine...but it seemed to be on there really good so I stopped without making any real progress.
-Scorpio
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Instructor

try goof oof m

to get visor warning off use goof off to saturate label then pull it off, available in hardware store, home centers
Old 11-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Instructor

I agree with jyg tl 3: goof off got these off of my last bmw. Stuff works great! 04 TL visors are semi-porous, but should work ok.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Racer

Black_Pride:

I didn't know that, thanks. I use the rear ash tray to store change- I wish the car had more storage available in the cabin, too.

vtechbrain: you mean that one can remove the sun visor and move it to cover the side window?

jdimaria: and if you hold the button down for a couple of seconds the CD/DVD-A will stop

I like being able to lock the trunk from the glove compartment- great for valet service.

Being able to store 37 audio sources: 6 AM, 12 FM, 12 XM, 6 DVD-A/CD and one tape. All that customized audio at the flip of one switch- car rides have never been so fun!
Old 11-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I noticed that you can move the coin holder a while back, but I find that the coins fall out a lot more in the door storage than in teh center storage. Probably more vibration.

Here's one that's not in the manual.. The front seat head rests pivot forward and back as well as up and down.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
I noticed that you can move the coin holder a while back, but I find that the coins fall out a lot more in the door storage than in teh center storage. Probably more vibration.

Here's one that's not in the manual.. The front seat head rests pivot forward and back as well as up and down.
Most of these things ae in the manuals but even after reading them its hard to remember as the main one is 300 pages, then there is the 100 page navigation manual, backup sonar manual, warranty manual, roadside assistance manual and especially that little plastic flip card easy reference one. I swear the print is so small and the information is crammed in so tightly it must hav been over a hundred pages in its original format. Even after having all the voice commands read to me half a dozen times by the car I don't remember them all.

Its nice to have the main ones highlighted here.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Racer

Black_Pride:

I'm nominating this thread you created as the most creative, and top 10 in usefulness!

jgrahamiii: good one!

I hope we keep getting useful comments.

Greg
Old 11-24-2003, 12:46 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To keep things from sliding in trunk that are always there

One other thing I noticed, if you are keeping a tool kit, or something else in the trunk all the time, use the plastic portion (not fabric) of the velcro and stick it to the botom of object (start with small amount and build up as it works well), it sticks VERY well to the carpet, and will NOT move!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Speaking of tool kits. Sears has a canvas tool bag on sale for about $9. It is about 14x12x12 and it perfect for holding emergency stuff. I bought one and it holds all the stuff from a freeby emergency kit I got from Michalen years ago (jumper cables, flashlights, flares, first aid kit, tools, etc.). Keeps all that stuff in one spot and if you use the velcro suggestion above it won't move around in the trunk.

Plus it is blue and black and matches my car....
Old 11-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Lock Windows

When you have the power windows locked, the passenger and rear control do not illuminate when running lights or headlights are on. When unlocked, the controllers illuminate.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Re: Lock Windows

Originally posted by brandomc
When you have the power windows locked, the passenger and rear control do not illuminate when running lights or headlights are on. When unlocked, the controllers illuminate.
Oddly enough, neither does the control to unlock these windows. Why would you want that light to go out?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:30 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by mook
Speaking of tool kits. Sears has a canvas tool bag on sale for about $9. It is about 14x12x12 and it perfect for holding emergency stuff. I bought one and it holds all the stuff from a freeby emergency kit I got from Michalen years ago (jumper cables, flashlights, flares, first aid kit, tools, etc.). Keeps all that stuff in one spot and if you use the velcro suggestion above it won't move around in the trunk.

Plus it is blue and black and matches my car....
Mook, that is the kit I carry the free one from Mich, not bad for free (I bought snows and got it, at least they are competetively priced on their snows). Glad it is helpful, I used it on all four sides, and it sticks a little too good (see the pics in the cargo net thread, you can see the outline)

Kind of cool things stick like glue to it!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Lock Windows

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
Oddly enough, neither does the control to unlock these windows. Why would you want that light to go out?
Can someone tell me why with the window unlock function on, the DRIVER can not even open the window?

In all other cars I have it only disallows the passenger.

Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Did you guys know of the massage feature. I'm sure eveyone is aware of the heated seats, but not many know that the car actually gives you a nice massage while driving.

Believe me, it came in handy during my 3.5 hr drive to NJ. Smooth high frequency vibrations constantly running through my arms and legs while driving...I'll tell u, refreshing.

Massage intensifies while driving in not-so-smooth roads...I guess that is when u need it the most.

Kudos Acura...why don't you advertise this feature...should be in your brochure. The only trick is, I haven't learned how to disable it yet??? I guess I will check the manual one more time. GOOD JOB ACURA/HONDA. ANOTHER WEENER!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Question sure it's not vibration from road?

you are kidding?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Re: sure it's not vibration from road?

Originally posted by jyg tl 3
you are kidding?
jyg tl 3...u crack me up:lol1:

thanks, i needed that!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Hey.. for all of you who are in the 'know' with this new car.. I just picked mine up 2 days ago (White 6MT NAV). I have a question on the audio system

I love the fact that the changer is in-dash.. but there has to be an easier/better way to change disks.. right now when i want to take the discs out, i hit the disc #, then eject... then the system changes to XM radio.. i have to change it back to CD, select a new disc, then eject.. then it goes to XM again, etc.

sort of frustrating when you want to remove 2-3 discs.. is there a better way?

cheers!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:52 PM
an Acura has-been

Push and hold the eject button, all disks will spit out, to stop after a certian disk, push the eject button again and it stops.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks need4speed - you are THE MAN!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Advanced

OK.. sorry if im hogging this thead.. but here is another one.. on the SonyEricsson T68I - does anyone have any idea how you can have the call automatically routed to the HandsFreeLink when dialed from the phone? this auto-transfer works fine with the bluetooth headsets, but with my SonyEricsson i have to dial the #, then hit the phone button - and use the 'transfer' voice command... sort of annoying..
i looked through the book and couldnt find anything on this.. thoughts?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by spdntckt
OK.. sorry if im hogging this thead.. but here is another one.. on the SonyEricsson T68I - does anyone have any idea how you can have the call automatically routed to the HandsFreeLink when dialed from the phone? this auto-transfer works fine with the bluetooth headsets, but with my SonyEricsson i have to dial the #, then hit the phone button - and use the 'transfer' voice command... sort of annoying..
i looked through the book and couldnt find anything on this.. thoughts?
Don't have the car; but I have the phone...
Options Menu.
(8) Communications
(3) Bluetooth
(4) Options
(3) HandsFree Sound
I set mine to Always ask, and when you dial it transfers to the headset unless you hit YES.

Don't know if this will help with the car, I sure hope so as I will have the car real soon now...
Old 11-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

to eject a certain disk, simply hit the number of the disk , then eject button, the player will change to xm radio, but you don't have to go back to cd mode and eject another cd. Simply hit another number and the cd in that position will be ejected.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acutllover
to eject a certain disk, simply hit the number of the disk , then eject button, the player will change to xm radio, but you don't have to go back to cd mode and eject another cd. Simply hit another number and the cd in that position will be ejected.
That does not sound right. Why would not the radio preset be chosen? Does this work so long as the load light is green? I'll have to try it.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by spdntckt
Hey.. for all of you who are in the 'know' with this new car.. I just picked mine up 2 days ago (White 6MT NAV). I have a question on the audio system

I love the fact that the changer is in-dash.. but there has to be an easier/better way to change disks.. right now when i want to take the discs out, i hit the disc #, then eject... then the system changes to XM radio.. i have to change it back to CD, select a new disc, then eject.. then it goes to XM again, etc.

sort of frustrating when you want to remove 2-3 discs.. is there a better way?

cheers!
how much did u get your white 6spd navi for?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Advanced

i didnt get a super deal.. only $500 off... but that was about the best i could do as ppl seem to know the navis are hard to find... the dealers dont seem to be willing to do much.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Racer

Not a new feature, but a pleasant surprise. My golf bag fits along the wheel base of the back of the trunk. I had a larger car, with a larger trunk and I was forced to place my golf bag diagnolly or through the pass through. This trunk is more efficient for my regular needs.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Have you tried the "transfer" functionon the bluetoogh phones. If you are on the phone you press the phone button on the steering wheel and then say "transfer". It transfers the call to your cell phone. Works the other way too.

Quick Reply: Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)