TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

GEX-P7000TV Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by silentone
Hey genfinity,

I decided to tap directly a wire (15 amp inline fuse) from the battery and wire straight to the trunk. I had the GEX yellow BATT wire attached to this wire. I attached the ACC to the Center Console and the Black Wire to the chassis Ground point located somewhere near the rear tail lamp.

What about the wire for the parking brake that needs to be grounded? cant remember the color..... green? ( 2 powers and 2 grounds)
Old 03-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey guys, i just copied booms schematic, and i designed the circuit on a breadboard, im ready to start the run, and blue print these pcb boards, if someone can take a look at this and let me know if there is anything i messed up on i would appreciate it, thanks

Old 03-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

hey guys, i just copied booms schematic, and i designed the circuit on a breadboard, im ready to start the run, and blue print these pcb boards, if someone can take a look at this and let me know if there is anything i messed up on i would appreciate it, thanks

Old 03-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Advanced

It may be just me, but driving LM1881 with 7805 may cause
some serious flickering or even no OSD at all. The only reason
we use LM1881 is to have OSD. But it surely comes in handy.

Silentone, i know how this thing can drive us crazy. Maybe I could help you on this...
Old 03-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

help im really starting to get confused a lot of people are saying that the 7805 shoud only power the IR, but not the Lm vdo sync sperator. something about that if you do the osd will be really shakey or something, my question is if not powering it from the 7805 then where are you powering it from? i heard some people are tapping into the 5volt output from the gex, but which color wire is that, and will it make that much bigger of a difference? someon eplease let me know i need to install my gex asap....!!!!

thank you guys for all your help.

JON
Old 03-15-2003, 05:28 AM
Advanced

hey,

if you follow Boom's original post at the beginning of this thread,
there's a 5V output from GEX: red connector, #16, yellow line.
But like I said earlier, it may be just me- Boom didn't mention anything on the 7805 noise. In general, the switching power like 7805 tends to make some noise which can be a killer for a video system. Then you could ask me why I don't power IR with this 5V as well- well, i tried, but it looks like that 5V source from GEX is not strong enough to drive both. At least that's what I thought it is...
Old 03-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

so is it for sure that hooking up the vdo sync seperator to the 7805 will give bad OSD signals and stuff or is this just a precautionary step......? thanks
Old 03-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Racer

my 7805 from digikey was toast. no other option than to power up with gex's 5V output.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

Man, I'm still having problems with my GEX unit. I'm not even sure if my GEX is working properly. I want to eliminate the possibility that my GEX is a bad unit. Is there any way to test the GEX unit by itself to check if its turned on?

I am powering 2 wires up.

Gex Wire
ACC -> 16# wire to Center Console Accessory
BATT -> 14# wire Direct to Battery
BLACK -> Ground
GREEN -> Ground (same as Black)
Old 03-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Advanced

I never tried this myself, but I wonder if the rear video jack sends out something by default. You may hook up your tv or camcorder to see if anysignal is coming out from there...
Old 03-18-2003, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

Smile Easier and simpler solution for Video-Navi

Answer for an easier and simpler solution for navi conversions at the links below for . The stand alone system has been installed in all models Acura/Honda/Lexus etc. Contact us directly for more informations at productinquirynow@yahoo.com

Links:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...threadid=10374

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...age%5fid=80290

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=96771
Old 03-20-2003, 04:23 AM
Advanced

I have a silly thing to report- in case there are someone like me out there. I was hoping GEX-7000 may control GEX-903FM through IP-Bus, but I guess it just doesn't work this way. I know there are Blitzsafe Aux interface and Blitzsafe XM interface- is there a Blitzsafe doing both (AUX and XM)? I have Blitzsafe AUX now....
Old 03-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Well, I just bought Sony XM radio (DRN-XM01C2)- which has a line-out. This is specifically designed for add-on use so it should...

I connected the output to one of GEX RCA audio input-
So I have heard GEX903FM through the FM modulator and Sonly through the direct line connection to GEX7000- the sound quality is far better than the FM modulator. If there's anyone using XM with FM modulator, think again, you don't know what you are missing.

Now I am so happy to have my GEX7000, which
does so many things- DVD, TV, my rear-view camera, XM,
MP3, and the good ol' navi screen. This is a must-have for
everyone with the Navi screen.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Instructor

geninfty,
I bought a blitz safe adapter back in sept when I bought my GEX-903FM...before the 7000tv. My blitz safe adapter has only an ip bus plug for the output of the 903. I tried everything possible to get the 7000tv and 903fm to work with the blitz( input/output bus) nothing worked. So I had to hack it....I took the IP bus cable that came with the 7000TV and cut it. I then used a 4PDT relay and tapped into the 903fm bus cable and the blitz. With the relay in place I needed a switch to operate the relay. This required more hacking... What I ended up doing is this. Turn on the XM radio and the relay switches. Turn off XM and this allows my AUX in. My trunk is loaded with electronics also ...Mod'd XBOX, a PC (waffer mobo) 360gigs of games, mp3s movies (p0rn) and my wireless stumbler rig
Old 03-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Advanced

mp3coupe,

I think it's a great idea. So, GEX903 sends audio output all the time to IP-Bus? I was thinking about cutting the cable and get the signal out that way, but didn't have the wiring diagram. Too bad, I already returned GEX903, (maybe I can still return this new sony and get it back again- then the circuit city store would ban me.. - I would appreciate if you could show us a link for the IP-bus pin layout or something... it may be a little late, but just for future work...
Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Instructor

geninfty,
This weekend I plan on doing some mods to my steering wheel control for the radio, and shifter...so I'll be in that area I'll take some pics and write down which wires are left and right channels. You want info on where i picked up VCC off the gex-903fm to switch my relay also....
Old 03-22-2003, 03:58 AM
Advanced

I wanted to share a small tip. I was seeing some noise on my navi screen when i turn on the headlight- i don't know if the xenon lights make some noise or the dimmer screen shows more noise or both... anyhow... I installed a ferrite core at the power connector to GEX and now the noise is completely gone. If you have a ferrite core, install it, and it may improve the screen quality. but don't expect it will cure all of your noise problem...
Old 03-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Racer

Hmm.... I was in my car watching TV yesterday, only to realize that when I was adjusting my power seats bacwards, there was interference on my screen.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

hey geninfty if you dont mind me asking wats the specs on this ferrite core you using to get rid of the noise? where can i pick up one at? thanks

JON
Old 03-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Advanced

any add-on type will do- I got this core from my Sony XM radio package, which was supposed to be installed for XM power and antenna cables. I know digikey carries these- you can look up the catalog and order one ferrite EMI choke if you want. However, Like turbox777 points out, you may not need this one. Everybody seems to tap the power at different location and run the wires in different manners, so the level of EMI getting to GEX will be different. For example, I don't see any noise on my screen when I use the power seat adjust switches.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

i got my gex mod done it goes in tomorrow. wish me luck here are some pic from my circuit design...

i did all the connections internally here are some pics

the white line you see is the 5 volts for my osd circuit
and the other wires are for the connection to the osd circuit all done internally

my circuit board
Old 03-26-2003, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

backside

almost done

done all mods were internal and the only outputs are the rgb and sync from red and green and then the ir sensor

more pics go here

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290461187

thanks again boom and everyone else

JON
Old 03-27-2003, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok woo hoo i installed it last night works like a charm takes lil to get used to the remote, ive been pressing it so much i think i drained the battery lol...anyways ive constructed my unit entirely plug and play the whole gex can be removed in a matter of minutes and a dummy key made to plug into the rgb socket i created so that the navi will work with out the gex...thanks again...
JON
Old 04-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

im getting interference when im using a aux input such as a dvd player or ps2, i have all my wires shielded any suggestions? my navi pics is sharp but only on vtr1 and vrt2 i get interference....any suggestions i have use 2 ferrite cores on the power and the rgb cables but im still getting interference on some thing please advise!!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Advanced

well, how bad is it? I do have some noise with my dvd, but i can live with that. a screenshot could help...
Old 04-02-2003, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

here are the problems

dvd vtr1 and vtr2 is crystal clear when the navi input isnt pluged in but when it is plugged in the interference comes in, im thinking this is a product of bad switching from the gex unit

and when the vtr1 or 2 is selected and no video source is plugged in i cant get any osd and i have wavy interference with the navi input plugged in or not... is this the same situation you are having?

but with the dvd and everythign connected the interference is there but faint, screen shot wont work cus its that little...any suggestions to get a complete clear signal?

JON
Old 04-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Advanced

The following is what I found during my web surfing for some info on our Navi system. i was thinking about a wild idea to tap into the touch screen so that we can control various things in our car. This would probably end up without much success. As a more realistic idea, I am working on a universal remote using PIC and Sony RM-X6S to control GEX, DVD, and my Sony XM radio...

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...%2F01c02%2Easp

Alpine's DVD-based navigation system for the 2002 Acura TL Type-S.

In Software . . .

DVD-Based Navigation On The Rise

In 2001, only 1% of cars, vans, and light trucks on the market had factory-installed navigation systems. Due to a recent upsurge in demand, the automotive industry is preparing to install these systems in more vehicles. According to Frank Forkin, partner and executive director of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates, the 2001 model year saw 175,000 factory-installed navigation systems, but the 2002 model year will see 240,000 factory-installed navigation systems.

Denso and Alpine, two Japanese manufacturers, have been swapping places for auto manufacturers’ top choice in navigation systems. You can find Denso’s systems in a number of Lexus models and the Jaguar S-Type, while Alpine’s systems show up in models from Acura, Jaguar, and Mer-cedes-Benz. Companies taking third place in-clude Bosch (in Audi and Mercedes-Benz vehicles), Mitsubishi Electric (in Volvo), Siemens (in Porsche), VDO (in BMW), and Xanavi (in Infiniti).

Demand for navigation systems has increased largely because the software now comes on DVD rather than CD media. According to Forkin, DVD-based “systems are quicker [and] have more opportunity for geographical coverage.” Because DVDs pack more information than CDs, DVD-based systems cover a much larger geographical area per disc than do CD-based systems. Relying on fewer discs is a plus for typical users, 35% of whom use navigation systems to find routes to unfamiliar locations (based on a J.D. Power and Associates 2001 Navigation Usage and Satisfaction Study). “If you’re traveling,” says Forkin, “when you probably need navigation systems the most, the last thing you want to do is call up somebody and have to pay for another disc.”

Navigation systems, which employ GPS technology and touch-sensitive LCD screens, haven’t received entirely rave reviews. For example, some users have reported frustration when the systems don’t take road construction and detours into consideration. On the other hand, more than half of the 6,000 consumers polled for the J.D. Power and Associates study report satisfaction to the point that they would recommend the system to others. The only widely acknowledged drawback to current systems is poor manufacturer support. But U.S. customers have a lot to look forward to: Future systems will reportedly include improved customer support and more features, such as Internet access, hands-free support, and even real-time traffic updates.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Racer

me and asiankidd have been experimenting on the light navigation interference that shows up on VTR1 VTR2 and TV. It is due to a bad grounding, nothing with shielded cables.

Please ground your wires maybe 2-3 times on the same stock black cable, it will significantly reduce your interference.

Now, I can barely see any interference, although its still there. I thought that this would be helpful information for somebody trying to do the GEX install.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Advanced

I did ground the GEX unit case with 12 gauge wire as short as possible. I don't see that sort of interferance, but have no idea if that helped or not. anyway, ground is important for sure.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Can someone tell me which blitzsafe adapter is being used for the GEX-P7000TV install ?? I'd like to use it to connect my my mp3 jukebox/iPOD to an RCA output provided by Blitzsafe.

There are 2 blitzsafe parts, can someone tell me which one of the following I should get and how much it costs-- the website doesn't mention anything about price. Thanks!

adapter 1:
ACURA TL 1998-2003
ACURA/AUX DMXV.1
PIONEER
FOR MP3 OR DVD VCP

adapter 2:
ACURA TL 1998-2003
ACURA/PIO DMXV.1D
PIONEER
DUAL MODE CD & AUX

the link for all acura adapters at blitzsafe is http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...itz_acura.html
Old 04-22-2003, 01:47 AM
Racer

I believe there are only 2, and the two that you have listed are the only two. The first one is for the aux input when you hit cd twice. but for the 2nd adapter, you hit cd three times I believe and it switches to the CD changer.

So in your case, you wouldn't want the CD changer option, so I think you should go with the first adapter you listed. No dual mode CD & Aux. I called up some car audio stores and thats what they said.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Advanced

Hi turbo777,

can we use the second one to have a dual access to pioneer IP-bus compatible device and a regular RCA source?

BTW, I have made sony remote work with GEX7000. It needs some work with PIC microprocessor, which is not too difficult for those who have played with it before. With this universal remote, I can control panasonic DVD, sony XM, and GEX with single remote. If anyone interested on this, I will post more detail.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Racer

genifty: Probably, I'm not 100% sure.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
7th Gear

Does anyone know the serial # for the Blitiz safe used
Old 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Instructor

so who wants to do install my GEX in so cali?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

someone wanna buy mine... hahah i'll install it for you too haha, im in need of extra money and i hardly use it anyways

JON
Old 05-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Instructor

hey jon im down, reserve that sh!t fo me
Old 06-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Cruisin'

Question Help

I have finished this install and all I am getting is a ghost of my nav screen and it is in b/w, I was hoping someone can narrow down my search to find what is wrong. Can just the OSD circuit be causing this problem? Please help, thank you
Old 06-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone post all the parts needed for a successful setup?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2003, 02:59 PM
pvz
Cruisin'

PHEW! I *FINALLY* got registered here. This place is nearly impossible to sign up to. I had to resort to my hotmail account, cause something is F'd up with the way acura-tl sends emails and I never got the confirmation email in my normal inbox.

ANYWAYS!

I am a Z owner (Nissan 350Z to those of you in Katmandu), and I too am at the final stages of this project.
I too only get a faint ghost image of my nav screen. I cannot make out any image in the other two video modes.
I have been ultra anal in making sure that I use good shielding and good wire.
Wassup? Can anyone help out either silvercoupe35 or myself?

mikelee223: As far as a parts list goes, I am trying to consolidate all of this information on my site:
http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/
Just go to the "GEX-P7000TV" link.
Again, I am doing this for the 350Z, so keep that in mind when looking at the pages.

Cheers!

Pv

Quick Reply: GEX-P7000TV Information