TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comptech Springs Now Shipping!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
harddrivin1le and anyone else:

What is your opinion on this setup

1. Koni shocks to replace OEM once they are available.

2. Stock springs (I don't care about the looks as much as I want handling. Maybe some aftermarket springs, but not lowered. If that's possible.

3. 18" OEM wheels

4. 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sports A/S

By the way, what are the exact specs for the 18" OEM wheels? 18x7.5, 18x8 or 18.8.5? 5-114.3? 45 offset?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dcarlinf1

2. Stock springs (I don't care about the looks as much as I want handling. Maybe some aftermarket springs, but not lowered. If that's possible.

3. 18" OEM wheels

By the way, what are the exact specs for the 18" OEM wheels? 18x7.5, 18x8 or 18.8.5? 5-114.3? 45 offset?
That sounds like an excellent set-up.

I don't know what the OEM wheel specs are.

Have you considered having the A-SPEC package installed? Supposedly Acura did a nice job with that.

Get the Koni "Yellows" if you decide to go that route (though they're not available for the new TL yet). That's their premium shock and it's adjustable. I have them on my Z28.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by harddrivin1le
Have you considered having the A-SPEC package installed?
Considered it? Sure

Decided not to because I feel it is a rip off. I have posted many times that getting the A-spec means you pay MSRP for replacement parts plus labor with no credit for the original parts. For example, 8 wheels, 8 tires, 8 shocks & 8 springs is what you pay for when buying the A-spec. I have chosen to pick and choose A-spec type features in the aftermarket world. It will cost less initially plus I will have all the original parts to sell or do whatever with. My body kit only cost $839 and I installed it myself. I doubt anyone can top that price.

Thanks for the comments. I really like my proposed set up as well.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Considered it? Sure

Decided not to because I feel it is a rip off. I have posted many times that getting the A-spec means you pay MSRP for replacement parts plus labor with no credit for the original parts. For example, 8 wheels, 8 tires, 8 shocks & 8 springs is what you pay for when buying the A-spec. I have chosen to pick and choose A-spec type features in the aftermarket world. It will cost less initially plus I will have all the original parts to sell or do whatever with. My body kit only cost $839 and I installed it myself. I doubt anyone can top that price.

Check my previous posts and you'll see that I share ALL of our sentiments regarding A-Spec.

In fact, I would have bought a new TL (vs. leasing a new Accord EX/V6 and keeping my Z28, which is what I ended up doing) if A-spec were offered as a reasonably priced (~ $1,800) factory/RPO.

Hopefully Acura will smarten up and do that.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Considered it? Sure

Check my previous posts and you'll see that I share ALL of our sentiments regarding A-Spec.

In fact, I would have bought a new TL (vs. leasing a new Accord EX/V6 and keeping my Z28, which is what I ended up doing) if A-spec were offered as a reasonably priced (~ $1,800) factory/RPO.

Hopefully Acura will smarten up and do that.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Advanced

3. 18" OEM wheels

The Acura 18's are 18X8.5
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by vclune
The Acura 18's are 18X8.5
He asked more than that...

He wants to know OFFSET.

I'd have to know how much heavier they are than the base 17" OEM wheels; larger wheels are generally heavier than that is ALL unsprung weight....

I don't like the idea of living with a 35 series tire on the street, either. It ruins the ride quality, makes the car more sensitive to bumps and doesn't offer any real world "handling" advantages beyond crisper initial turn-in. (Again, on STREET driven cars.)

I'd probably retain the OEM wheels and OEM performance rubber option - at least until the tires wore out.

The car needs shocks.

And the automatic version needs larger anti-roll bars (in addition to the shocks).

Attention should first be focused there....
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Advanced

They weigh 24lbs, which is suppose to be within a pound of the 17's. I have a set still in the boxes that came with my car. I haven't put tires on them yet. I suppose I could go out and measure the offset.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Drifting

They weigh 24lbs, which is suppose to be within a pound of the 17's. I have a set still in the boxes that came with my car. I haven't put tires on them yet. I suppose I could go out and measure the offset.
I can't argue with a one pound difference...

How much were the wheels (vs buying the entire A-spec package)?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Advanced

I had them include the wheels with the purchase of the car. no actual value was placed on them. I made an offer including wheels, tax and all fees. 33,500
Old 03-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Drifting

I had them include the wheels with the purchase of the car. no actual value was placed on them. I made an offer including wheels, tax and all fees. 33,500
They must be the same wheels that's included in the A spec package...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

3. 18" OEM wheels

Acura ASPEC wheels are 18X8.5 with 45mm offset and made by ENKIE. This info comes directly off the backside of the wheel.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Acura ASPEC wheels are 18X8.5 with 45mm offset and made by ENKIE. This info comes directly off the backside of the wheel.
Are the A-spec wheels different than the 18" Acura wheels you got?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Are the A-spec wheels different (in terms of styling) than the 18" Acura wheels you got?

I have to think the offset is the same....
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Are the A-spec wheels different than the 18" Acura wheels you got?
No
Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Drifting

No
Sounds like you've got some nice wheels...

Is your car an auto or a 6 speed?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Sounds like you've got some nice wheels...

Is your car an auto or a 6 speed?
Auto
Old 03-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Drifting

Auto
That has smaller diameter front and rear anti-roll bars than the 6 speed car.

A decent (but not ridiculous; I'd go with something similar/identical to the 6 speed's) pair of anti-roll bars and good set of shocks (once they become available) would really improve things in the handling dept. while still retaining most of the ride quality.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

If they are made by Enkei, it seems strange to me that Nakayama has a virtually identical aftermarket wheel available and Enkei does not. The Nakayamas are much cheaper, but the problem with them is that they are only 7.5" wide. I don't think I want to give up that extra inch in width in order to save money. Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
ZHP 4CE

That has smaller diameter front and rear anti-roll bars than the 6 speed car.

A decent (but not ridiculous; I'd go with something similar/identical to the 6 speed's) pair of anti-roll bars and good set of shocks (once they become available) would really improve things in the handling dept. while still retaining most of the ride quality.
harddrivin-

Do you (or anyone else) have any basis of comparison between the a-spec package and other aftermarket suspension upgrades? I'm not sure whether to just do the a-spec package (i'm getting the wheels and body kit anyways) or to do the comptechs and wait for Koni to come out with some shocks for the TL. It might be awhile for the Konis though because when I emailed them, they said that they were working on them, but that it would be some time before they're released. Aside from price, which alternative would optimize ride/handling.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLud
harddrivin-

Do you (or anyone else) have any basis of comparison between the a-spec package and other aftermarket suspension upgrades? I'm not sure whether to just do the a-spec package (i'm getting the wheels and body kit anyways) or to do the comptechs and wait for Koni to come out with some shocks for the TL. It might be awhile for the Konis though because when I emailed them, they said that they were working on them, but that it would be some time before they're released. Aside from price, which alternative would optimize ride/handling.
Koni's not yet making a shock for the new TL and I don't know whether or not anyone else is, either. (A recent search on the net turned up zilch).

If you're getting the wheels and the body kit anyway then I think it's a no brainer to go with the entire package. Try to negotiate the best price you can from the dealer you just bought the car from.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the A-spec package. I've read two reports on it (including one in the latest ROAD and TRACK) and they were both quite positive.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
User Registered

If they are made by Enkei, it seems strange to me that Nakayama has a virtually identical aftermarket wheel available and Enkei does not. The Nakayamas are much cheaper, but the problem with them is that they are only 7.5" wide. I don't think I want to give up that extra inch in width in order to save money. Decisions, decisions.
All wheel makers/sellers eventually copy each other. Nakayama, Motegi, 5Zigen, Konig, and more, all use designs from each other. As to why Enkei doesn't make the same wheel available? Marketing and legality. Why would we go to Acura when Enkei will sell it to us? Acura doesn't want us to go to Enkei. Just like when I was in the market for the Mitsu Evo, but wanted 18" version of the stock wheels (which were made by Enkei), they were not available and had no plans to copy them for commercial use.

Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by neuronbob
OK guys...here's the info I need about the Comptechs before I pull the trigger:

1. Squat on acceleration and dip on braking. With the stock springs, there's hardly any squat already, but quite a dip (you can even see this in Acura's "Roads" TV ad). How's this change with the CTs?

2. Body roll in steep turns. It's present, but not severely, with the stock springs. Any improvement?

3. Number of bounces over a moderate bump at freeway speed...I notice 1-2 bounces before the car settles with the stock springs. Any improvement?

4. "Quickness" of steering: does this improve after the springs? There's something of a numb spot when the steering wheel is centered on both my old and new TLs; this disappeared when I put Comptechs on my last TL. Again, any change with the CTs?

Thanks for the information.
Sorry, I had to post my questions again as no one has specifically addressed them. C'mon, guys? I'm more interested in performance of the springs than the cosmetics. I'm also planning to test-drive an A-spec but will only purchase if I can get ONLY the suspension pieces; otherwise I plan on the Comptechs and (eventually) the Koni yellows--my understanding is that the Yellows are adjustable enough that I can get a compliant ride with less body roll, etc.

Comments? Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:08 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by neuronbob
Sorry, I had to post my questions again as no one has specifically addressed them. C'mon, guys? I'm more interested in performance of the springs than the cosmetics. I'm also planning to test-drive an A-spec but will only purchase if I can get ONLY the suspension pieces; otherwise I plan on the Comptechs and (eventually) the Koni yellows--my understanding is that the Yellows are adjustable enough that I can get a compliant ride with less body roll, etc.

Comments? Thanks again!
- It's my understanding that A-spec parts for the TL are available ONLY as part of the full kit. (You could buy the entire A-spec kit and sell that parts you don't want on e-bay (or on this forum).

- Koni Yellows are adjustable in both compression and rebound (seperate adjustments that CAN be tough to get at, depending on application). They aren't cheap; they can run more than $300 PER SHOCK, depending on application.

- Stiffer springs will reduce brake "dive." They will also reduce body roll. A good set of shocks will also reduce those traits, though they'd likely have more of an impact on reducing dive than body roll.

- You should consider installing larger anti-roll bars front and rear if your car is an AUTOMATIC. (The 6 speed uses larger bars than the auto). That is the most effective way to control body roll while minimizing ride quality degradation.

- It's my belief that the stock springs are fully adequate for street use (including sane performance driving). It's the dampers (shocks) that are the real problem (along with the smaller anti-roll bars in the automatic car).
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 04-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Instructor

How much are you spending to lower your car 1 inch? Who's gonna notice?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Cruisin'

Talking

Originally Posted by wonderboy
How much are you spending to lower your car 1 inch? Who's gonna notice?
My cats would notice the 1" difference. It would certainly help them scratch their ass on the exhaust pipes.

CrazyNuts.

:lol2:
Old 05-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Cruisin'

Hi there,

Quick question for anyone who knows the answer...

Does adding an aftermarket set of springs void my new TL's warranty?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

What does any think of putting some Tokico shocks instead of the ridiculously priced koni's? Will they work good enough to keep the car from being a bumpy ride?

Wha2sie

Anthracite, 5at, OEM kit, rear deck spoiler
Old 06-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Scelipt: what is a k40?

thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

good to know!