TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comprehensive list of known early build problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rets
Is it normal? I remember the owner manual or somewhere ever said your brake would have some sounds... Need to see it again...

Mine does have clank... I only can hear that while in the garage...
As long as it's not occurred in each stop, it should be fine?

P. 188.

If the brake pads need replacing, you will hear a distinctive, metallic screeching sound when you apply the brake pedal. If you do not have the brake pads replaced, they will screech all the time. It is normal for the brakes to occasionally squeal or squeak when you apply them.
no rets, it is a click kind of sound, not screeching sound. I hear this everytime I hit the brake pedal.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

After 3 weeks I haven't noticed any of the above problems but DO have two others:

Vibration from the moon roof air deflector when the roof is closed.

No airflow from the rear heat/ac vents

All things considered, this car is a BIG improvement over the previous generation!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by acutllover
no rets, it is a click kind of sound, not screeching sound. I hear this everytime I hit the brake pedal.
I know you hear that. And, Black_Pride said "CRANK"... is it the same?

Actually, my 94 Legend has the same sound since 1999. If I drive into the parking lot and try to back up my car to the spot, I will hear it in my first time hitting the brake. Sometimes it will keep happening while braking.

If I start to move forward, yes, I will hear another clink in my first time brake, too. Unfortunely, my acura dealer said it's normal for my Legend.

My 04 TL has it sometimes, I'm gonna ask my dealer tomorrow. Reply you afterwards.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Exclamation MASTER LIST UPDATED

Hello all, just wanted to leave a note that I've updated the list (and links) in the first post in this thread.

This may save some folks time in reading through the pages, but note that there is much good detail to be had from reading the substance of the thread found in the later pages.

If you think I've missed anything (major items, not fit and finish items) in that first post please PM me and I'll edit it and add it to the list. Should make for a much more user friendly post.

Acura customer service has read this post, let's try to keep it useful to owners and the manufacturer.

happy holidays,
Scott
Old 12-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Memory Seat Issue

I lost my seat memory twice first week I had the car. Then a month and a half it was fine, through several seat adjustments. Today, took it to the car wash. They moved the seat to clean underneath, and lo and behold the memory was gone from both locations when I went to get the seat in the correct position!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

johndt,

You should get the vibration noise near your moon roof.
I had the same problem. They try fixing the noise by adding more padding between the headliner and roof.
The noise was gone for few days then came back.
It turn out the the map light unit had some loose parts beyond repair.
The dealer order a replacement then the noise was gone.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation Update.

Just returned from the dealer.

1. MIL issue (check engine light)

Issue: A cust sates has MIL coming on while driving at engine speed in excess of 5000 RPM-ADVISE has recently come on at 3500, and lite blinked for 30 seconds.

Cause & solution: 123505
123505 codes operating data-misfire code po301-po305 misfires, perform PCM update as per bulliten, 117 WA2 0.30
FC: 032-14
Part#: 37820-RYA-A51
Auth Code: 032-03

My dealer recieve the noticification on Monday, 12/15/03, that Acura engineers address the guildline to fix tihs issue, and suggest to update the software. The service manager said there is no any Bulliten number yet (today), he had to use the general code for the dealer's computer record and refused to give me the copy of Acura tech letter.

I then tested my 2nd & 3rd with 6000 RPM, so far so good. NO more MIL at this moment.

If anyone going to update the software, please also check if this would help to reduce your vibration issues at 50 MPH. Thanks.

2. For the brakes' clink or crank issues

This is normal for Acura vehicles, from MDX, and TL, etc... they may have this sound 'cause of the cars' design.

3. Misaligned hood, my dealer was unable to fix for me. They insisted it doesn't harm your car although you have to drop the hood from 3 feet high.

4. Memory seat issue: Acura addresses it and works on the solution and new module.

Old 12-20-2003, 07:56 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Rets, sorry to hear they would not fix you latch on the hood.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Well, after 150 miles I get my first problem with the TL.

Like someone earlier, my front windshield developed a crack at the bottom passenger side. It is about 10 inches long so far.

Well, I will have to call them Monday to see what they will do for me.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I have a couple new ones on my 6MT with Navigation VIN 15552:

1. The HandsFreeLink system is totally dead. There is no sound if the talk button is depressed, and when the MID HFL display is “selected” it displays REBOOTING indefinitely (or until I select something else).

2. The dash lights are always maximum the first time I turn the headlights on. I drive to work in the dark and use the headlights every day so I have had lot of opportunity to correctly identify the symptoms of the problem. The “Max” button is working properly.

I think these problems were the result of the car being built on Nov. 26, the day before Thanksgiving. I have had the car in the shop for two days for the HFL issue. The first day I was told that it was working properly, only to find that they had only checked the Navigation voice system. The second day the dealership had 6 of their 8 technicians out with the flu and didn’t even get to look at the car.

Otherwise the car is perfect.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nav Problem

Recently, the Nav has no idea what direction I'm going on intertial sensors. Until it gets a fix and then about 3-4 minutes after that, it has me going the wrong way, and therefore on wrong roads (or off roads), etc. This did not happen the first 3000 miles at all (sometimes you'd be off one road if they were close, but this is completely off).
Old 12-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Instructor

formula 350- windshield.

deja vu, my first legend a 1988. did the same thing, and so did others, it was defective glass/ poor install at factory .Acura replaced it , a known problem.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Pro

Re: formula 350- windshield.

Originally posted by jyg tl 3
deja vu, my first legend a 1988. did the same thing, and so did others, it was defective glass/ poor install at factory .Acura replaced it , a known problem.
Thanks. It appears to be a stress crack. The only thing I did different yesterday was open the sunroof. I do not think I will have problems with Acura, just do not like having to replace the windshield.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Racer

I've had my car now for exactly a month..
I have not noticed any vibration or any other manufacturer defect as people have stated , except for the loss of memory seats.. thats my only ***** about the vehicle thus far...

hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Question Plastic film pucker-bubbles

Does everyone have a form-fit plastic film over the audio/Hvac (or nav) screen? I have the non-nav, and this "film" puckers or bubbles a few places top and bottom. Annoying, but not worth trying to peel off the film if it is there for necessary protection. If anyone has pulled it off, does it come off easy? As long as I'll keep the car, I could do without the protection and put up with glare in order to kill the pucker-bubbles.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro

Re: Plastic film pucker-bubbles

Originally posted by frqwntbyr
Does everyone have a form-fit plastic film over the audio/Hvac (or nav) screen? I have the non-nav, and this "film" puckers or bubbles a few places top and bottom. Annoying, but not worth trying to peel off the film if it is there for necessary protection. If anyone has pulled it off, does it come off easy? As long as I'll keep the car, I could do without the protection and put up with glare in order to kill the pucker-bubbles.
That's how it comes from the factory and you're supposed to remove this film. It's not intended to stay after day 1.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Instructor

I see said the blind man. Much, much better. Silly example, but love this forum.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:53 PM
9th Gear

I have a 2004 Acura TL 6MT (Blue) 1 1/2 months 3,900 miles!

These are the problems I have been having:

I seem to have the 1st gear slipping problem. I have notice this on countless occasions but thought nothing of this until I started reading these forums. I have not mentioned this to my dealer. How serious is this?

I have noticed a very LOUD squeal from my brakes during LOW speed stops (less than 10 mph) and only on 1 out of every 10 or so stops. My dealer has changed my pads and rotors TWICE over this and I still get this problem.

Also uneven wear on the left rear brake. It already caused cuts in the rotor. The service professional showed me the cuts in the rotor and the pad itself. Do not know why this is happening. He was going to follow with California on this

Now after the 2nd attempt to solve the brake squealing problem, I now get an ABS and 2 VSA warning lights at random times. He has ordered a replacement sensor, so I will not have my car back until Monday at the earliest. I miss my car already.

What do you think. This car is LEASED. Should I ask for a replacement?
Old 12-28-2003, 09:44 AM
BOOK EM

Is it POPPING out of first gear? Myself and BRAHTW8 has had a problem with this. Mine usually happens going down a slope, it doesn`t hold in first gear, unless you hold the shift in. M y dealer couldn`t reproduce the problem and I feel it doesn`t happen all the time, so I`m holding off on pushing the issue. The dealer knows of the problem if it gets worse down the road. I think BRAHTW8 had the tranny replaced if I remember. As for the brake squeal, I hve that also. It sometimes happens around 10 mph or so.....Another thing I`d live with than having the dealer either make it worse or create another problem
Old 12-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Instructor

bsjisco what is your build number?

last numbers in vin? please,
Old 12-28-2003, 11:15 AM
BOOK EM

My VIN # is 2842
Old 12-29-2003, 10:53 AM
9th Gear

I am supposedly going to get my car back today, so I can post the VIN number then

As far as it popping out of first gear the answer is a definite YES. I can make this happen almost every time! Just drive a bit in first gear without my hand on the shift and it will eventually pop back into neutral. I thought at first that this may be some "feature", and thought nothing of it. If this is a tranny problem that can get worse, I need to know now.

What do you think?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bjsisko
I am supposedly going to get my car back today, so I can post the VIN number then

As far as it popping out of first gear the answer is a definite YES. I can make this happen almost every time! Just drive a bit in first gear without my hand on the shift and it will eventually pop back into neutral. I thought at first that this may be some "feature", and thought nothing of it. If this is a tranny problem that can get worse, I need to know now.

What do you think?
I don't know if it will get worse or not. I do know that my car's transmission was replaced because of the same problem.

I would take the car to the dealer and insist they fix the problem or replace the car. You may have to go the Lemon Law route if they can't fix it.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:32 PM
9th Gear

My VIN Number is 1252.

hmmmmmmm ..........
Old 12-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Vin is 6149.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:15 PM
rarely registered user

I had/have the following problems:

1. Check engine light came on whenever I exceeded 4500 rpm in manual-matic mode. This was (hopefully) corrected by replacing the crankshaft position sensor.
2. Trouble starting about once a week. Usually starts on second try.
3. Trunk wouldn't open with either the key or the interior button. It happened at the dealer service center and even the technician couldn't get the trunk to open. After about 15 minutes of trying, it finally started working. Hasn't happened since.
4. Memory seats lose programing about once a week.
5. Minor dash rattle that doesn't really bother me.
6. Idles a little rough. Dealer says it's fine but I'm certain there is something wrong. (see my thread "rough idle")

I still love the TL (or at least the idea of a perfectly working car). I'd buy one again but I really hope they get these issues sorted out. Did they rush this car to production or something?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:22 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have two rattles, one coming from the steering column and one coming from the passenger side with moderate level of bass during music play.

Just picked up the car on Sunday 1/4/04, VIN is 21XXX.

edit: Okay, just picked up the car today on 1/8/04. Rattle is gone from steering column (for now!) as it was the horn connector which was loose. The passenger side bass thing is a come and go thing so the dealer could not replicate.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:37 PM
3rd Gear

we purchased a 2004 TL before we put 1000 miles on it the memory system for the seats and mirrors stopped working and the car and key interface stopped working. Acura claims there is no fix for this-very disappointing for a company known for producing reliable product. I see others have this problem, has anyone gotten it fixed?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:53 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by zisowitz
we purchased a 2004 TL before we put 1000 miles on it the memory system for the seats and mirrors stopped working and the car and key interface stopped working. Acura claims there is no fix for this-very disappointing for a company known for producing reliable product. I see others have this problem, has anyone gotten it fixed?
Sorry to hear that, a question, you say the key interface stopped working, are you talking about the push button key fob, or just that the memroy is gone?

Noone has gotten it fixed that I know of.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:26 PM
pjp
Cruisin'

Just a thought. I have the intermittent memory problem also. I can't seem to replicate it in a planned fashion. I was reading in one of the pamphlets that came with the car or was it the owners manual that if you change the air temp it is also recorderd by the memory system. It also stated that if the temp is changed the memory captures it when the car is turned off. I wonder if the temperature memory capture process is what is causing the system to fail. I will try to test this theory. Any thoughts??
Old 01-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

pjp,

The car doesn't forget any of the keyless-memory settings except the seat/mirror possition. It still remembers my lock/unlock/headlight/climate-control settings.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I found my pattern in my TL.

If I open door or trunk by any one of remotes and hit the memory button (different to the key fob I'm using), then closing the door with double-clicking my fob, the memory will always lose after an hour. I tried this many times and this always erases my seat memory. Perhaps, it's only my car.

Bad, I'm use Valet parking key to control my car everyday.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my TL fo two months now. Great car!!!

The only issue that I have is with the memory seats. The memory is wiped out every week and I have to keep resetting it. I have found no patterns that define the "memory loss". I find that when I open the doors with the remote, "DRIVER 1 DETECTED" is displayed on the MID. But the button for the memory on the drivers door that is linked to the remote will not light up.

Dealer service department has not been able to reproduce this "memory loss". Any idea when Acura willcome up with a fix for this....
Old 01-11-2004, 09:19 PM
9th Gear

Ready to ask Acura for a replacement or buyback on my 04 TL

My car - build #2618.

Have been at the dealership six times already - less than three months, 2100 miles. It's about one visit for each time I fill up the tank.

Who's idea is it to engineer this Acura to show the tank as empty when there are four gallons left in the tank? This is first car I know of that has this problem and I rent a car every week for travel.

Memory Seats - confirmed with the dealer service dept that Acura knows there is a problem but that there is no fix. So something as basic as memory seats doesn't work in an Acura 35k+ car. What a disappointment.

Rattling in the vent, steering column, B pillar seat belt holder, dash. There is so much rattling, even after four trips to the dealer for reinsullating; the problem typically returns in less than 300 miles. Was just told that it is normal to get rattling when I driving over unusally bad road surfaces. Ok, how many of you consider a 20 mile stretch of major interstate through your downtown a normal commute. It seems I-5 through downtown Seattle generates so much rattle, I can probably create my own percussion recording. Would you consider that normal?

Come to think of it, if it's normal to have rattling, wouldn't all my vents rattle, not just on my driver side?

I've given this car enough time to get fixed; it's time for me to get my money back or a replacement. It's good that Washington has good lemon laws in palce.

Hope you guys have better luck with your TL.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Ready to ask Acura for a replacement or buyback on my 04 TL

Hi, tcchung,

Agree your issues are required to be fixed by Acura soon, except the fuel empty reminder.

I saw tons of vehicles having the similar feature to inform you of the low fuel, 04TL has built the estimated mileage information for your second warning in case the driver keeps ignoring that light and your car runs out of gasoline in the half of desert.

When you see the low fuel indicator, it's unnecessary to fill up your tank right away, but at least you'll know what you have to do soon, you still have 3-5 gallons to go for peace.

Lots of threads have discussed this topic, you may check out and join them.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Cruisin'

Self Cleaning Rubber

I read that self cleaning rubber is now being installed against the inside of windows. Are these on the new TL's? I am curious due to tint I just put on my TL.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
an Acura has-been

Re: Self Cleaning Rubber

Originally posted by RichRich
I read that self cleaning rubber is now being installed against the inside of windows. Are these on the new TL's? I am curious due to tint I just put on my TL.
richrich, where did you read this?

The TL's have a hard plastic that require a felt strip be installed on them to preven scratching of the tint.

Many early owners have had to redo them due to scratches.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

my tint company told me about this. I've heard mixed reviews on putting this felt on. Not sure what to do, leave it or put the felt on.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:39 AM
an Acura has-been

What is the downside of the felt, I am having it done next week?

I have scratches in all 4 windows, and they are not used often, especially this time of year.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

I read in one of these threads that the felt holds more dirt in (can't remember which one). Also from a profesional tint shop, that it is better off without the felt. Not sure what to do.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive list of known early build problems