TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comprehensive list of known early build problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 06:09 AM
JCD
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a good one: How the heck is one supposed to add transmission fluid to the '99 TL? The hole/tube is WAY down inside the engine and it's all of about 1/4" wide, no funnel is that small and can still fit way down inside the engine. 1.) Any advice? 2.) Why would Acura be so stupid as to do this?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Redrum

Ok, I get a bad vibration noise that sounds as if it is coming from the front passenger door (I have seen this on other threads) at about 1200 miles. It is loud in the morning, but by the time I leave work, it's gone. I figure something is vibrating, warming up, and expanding. The car is brought to the dealership to replace the HFL module which has failed. Dealer doesn't hear the vibration but puts foam material around the map pocket door. Get car back. Next morning, it is loud...straight to the dealer. A tech. rides with me and he is pointing to my side of the car and I am pointing to his (the passenger side). Finally, he flips down the passenger side visor and it stops...bingo! Visor is on order. Just goes to show how hard it can be to find an intermittent noise (especially when it comes from the other side of the car and you must be moving to hear it). Vin number is 37XXX.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Redrum

One other note; the next morning, I confirmed what the tech. had discovered. The problem is in the visor. With the visor down, you can hear the vibration if you tap it. With the visor up, I pressed it against the roof and vanity light, but it continued. I am confident that it isn't vibrating against the light.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:24 PM
bpd
4th Gear

Fello 04 Tl owners, do you have a problem with suspension/ride hight and the level of your car. My 6M is .75" higher on the passanger side. This creates a much larger gap between the top on the tires and the bottom of the fender. The dealership says that they mesured other TLs and they are all this way. Any Ideas??? thanks and happy shifting
Old 05-02-2004, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

How can I keep the cigarette power outlet to stay on when egnition is OFF

I own my TL for 3 months, great car.
But would like to keep the cigarette lighter power on all times, even when ignition is off, to keep phone charging.
Can anyone tell me if this is doable with a programming step?

One more question, why did Acura eliminate the auto light on feature?
For $30K++ purchase this should be standard, is there a retrofit that my dealer can accomodate me with??
Any help on both issues would be greatly appreciated, please send me PM.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

Sun Visor Rattle

I had the sunvisor vibration/rattle as well, but on the driver side. When it was down it made a loud noise and visibly shook. When up, no noise. Took it back twice as the first time they claim not to hear or see it. It is now fixed and no further vibration. I do have a rattle in the headliner above my left ear which I understand to be clip in the side airbag system. I also have a rather annoying vibration coming from the seatback and sound like the leather or something in the seat, maybe even the seatblet is ticking.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Astroboy
"NEVER FORGET, ACURA IS A MAN MADE MACHINE."

food for thought
Old 06-09-2004, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Cracked Windshield

I've seen a few of these mentioned on various sites - seem to be stress fractures not caused by stones or pebbles. I have 1400 miles on my 2004 TL and dealer is giving me "it's road hadzard, not covered under the warranty". Does anyone know if this is a known problem?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

I read the posts about various problems and issues before I bought my TL. I was concerned about the many complaints about rattling and popping noises. I bought the TL anyway and am very happy with it. But still, after reading all these posts I'm now paranoid about the rattling and creaking noises mentioned. I wonder if all TLs have noise issues. I'm actually noticing a few snaps, crackles and pops around the center console area, especially in the morning when its cold and the road is a little bumpy. My only comfort is the idea that it's impossible for a car to be 100% noiseless...or is it true that the TL isn't solid enough on the inside? I don't want to be whiny, but the noises are kind of annoying.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by steve1010
I read the posts about various problems and issues before I bought my TL. I was concerned about the many complaints about rattling and popping noises. I bought the TL anyway and am very happy with it. But still, after reading all these posts I'm now paranoid about the rattling and creaking noises mentioned. I wonder if all TLs have noise issues. I'm actually noticing a few snaps, crackles and pops around the center console area, especially in the morning when its cold and the road is a little bumpy. My only comfort is the idea that it's impossible for a car to be 100% noiseless...or is it true that the TL isn't solid enough on the inside? I don't want to be whiny, but the noises are kind of annoying.

Welcome to the forum. For some certain noise sources, dealers may help you to fix it... If you want, you could point out where they are and post again... Myabe some ppl here could show you some simple DIY...
Old 06-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by rtabick
I've seen a few of these mentioned on various sites - seem to be stress fractures not caused by stones or pebbles. I have 1400 miles on my 2004 TL and dealer is giving me "it's road hadzard, not covered under the warranty". Does anyone know if this is a known problem?

I do hear some of windshields broken or cracked like what you described above. And, besides a few of members, most of them have to replace it by their own cost, it's really the road hadzard by my opinion, some of ppl now start to add the windshield insurance in addition to their premium plan. If you like, you could post in 3G forum about your issue, someone will give you the answer soon.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

I appreciate the quick reply! The sound is coming from the CD changer and tape area. It kind of clicks a few times when I brake. I think it's caused by a shift in weight or something. Not a big deal, but it's audible every time. There's also a low rumble vibration coming from inside from time to time when I go over a bumpy surface. I guess if I bring it to the dealership they have to take the whole thing apart, huh? Maybe the sounds will go away...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Steering wheel off right of center. That's it.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Aloha,

Can anyone feel something strange when the brake is pressed or while trying to brake for a stop. I sometimes feel the windshield wiper mechanism while at a stop in my brake pedal. Thought it was kind of weird and didn't really think anything of it. We just got the car on the 19th and the vin is #19xxx if that's any help.

Mahalo!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by HAWAIIS FINEST
Aloha,

Can anyone feel something strange when the brake is pressed or while trying to brake for a stop. I sometimes feel the windshield wiper mechanism while at a stop in my brake pedal. Thought it was kind of weird and didn't really think anything of it. We just got the car on the 19th and the vin is #19xxx if that's any help.

Mahalo!

Do you mean you felt the vibration from the brake pedal while braking in uneven roads?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Advanced

No Rets, while stopping or at a stop I can feel it. On even ground.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 PM
4th Gear

headliner falling down

Originally Posted by rhaas
I had this one too, only my rattled with the moon roof cover closed. To make the noise stop I opened the moon roof cover and all noise stopped. Took it into the dealer to have the tires swithced out (on my dime) and told them to fix rattles. They installed wool and tape and no more noise from that area. Now I am beginning to hear others though.

Ryan
undefined

Does anybody had problems with the headliner falling down?

I have been to my dealer like 4 times already and they still can fix this problem. It seems like they fix it but after I left the dealer the headliner falls down again. I'm tire of this situation what you guys would recommend me to do? :o
Old 07-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
This is not a new problem, and lots of people have had the problem. See this thread for more info http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79379
Old 08-02-2004, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Wow not to kick an old horse...this is a very late response

Need4spd....Did you ever figure out what problem #21 was on your TL? This is a follow up from way way way way back I believe page 1, #15 on this thread.

I think I might have a similar issue. But I keep hearing that it is the ABS self check.

Just wondering!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Anthracite04
Wow not to kick an old horse...this is a very late response

Need4spd....Did you ever figure out what problem #21 was on your TL? This is a follow up from way way way way back I believe page 1, #15 on this thread.

I think I might have a similar issue. But I keep hearing that it is the ABS self check.

Just wondering!

Are you talking about this?

Originally Posted by need4spd
... ... 21. Noise when pulling away when car is cold and normal acceleration, sounds like a flap is being actuated, but felt throughout car, lasts less than a second (other complaint on this) – dealer did not find... ...
It's ABS checking. NORMAL. You could get more info/discussion in 3G Garage. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
MUSICBOY

Moisture Getting In Door Panels

Does Anyone Have A Problem With Rain And Water Getting In The Front Door Panels. I Have Noted Since The Summer I Smell A Slight Mildew Smell When I First Open My Front Windows After A Heavy Rain Or After A Car Wash. It Appears Water Gets Into The Window Well From The Outside With The Window Closed. Took It To The Dealer And They Told Me They Could Not Find An Unusal Amount Of Moisture However The Smell Comes Back When Ever Moisture Is Present
Old 08-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MUSICBOY
Does Anyone Have A Problem With Rain And Water Getting In The Front Door Panels. I Have Noted Since The Summer I Smell A Slight Mildew Smell When I First Open My Front Windows After A Heavy Rain Or After A Car Wash. It Appears Water Gets Into The Window Well From The Outside With The Window Closed. Took It To The Dealer And They Told Me They Could Not Find An Unusal Amount Of Moisture However The Smell Comes Back When Ever Moisture Is Present

I would suggest you to post this Q in 3G forum, your unique Q will get more answers from there. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:28 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by HAWAIIS FINEST
Aloha,

Mahalo!
I believe that this is related to the windshield wipers being speed-sensitive on intermittent setting. When I am stopped at a light, and the wipers are on intermittent, when I take my foot off the brake, the wipers will go on once to clear the windshield as you start off.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM
7th Gear

I bought my 04 TL (silver, auto) in June (also got a command start and back-up sensor, installed by the dealer). I love all the features, the speed, and the awesome sound system. However, we did have a few problems that so far have been fixed by the dealer:
1) Passenger window slipping down slightly. Window regulator was adjusted, problem recurred, and window regulator was replaced.
2) intermittent rattle coming from headliner area. Loose wires shimmied; rattle gone for most part.
3) Driver's side rocker panel bent - clip was replaced
4) block heater cord cover did not stay on - this was replaced
5) trunk came open a couple of times while driving. Alarm would sound when the trunk was opened with the command start. This was fixed, but 7 weeks later, the alarm problem occurrred again. Fixed again, then three days later, occurred again.
6) On Sept. 3, the car was dead in the morning! We figured out that the headlights were now not turning off in the "auto off" setting. Command start unit was replaced.
7) Car went dead again. The dealer kept the car for a few days, and provided me with a loaner. It seems that the problems seem to point to the command start.

Things seem to be working okay now. Has anyone else had problems with their command start? I have it programmed to unlock the driver's door on the first click, then the rest of the doors on the second click. Occasionally the second click doesn't seem to work, then I press it again and all the windows and the moonroof open! (Frustrating!)

Overall, I LOVE my car (it's my first Acura), and I have received awesome service from Crown Acura in Winnipeg. Both times that the car died, they supplied me with a loaner, and filled up my gas tank and cleaned both the interior and the exterior! :-)
Old 12-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Just purchased an 05 TL and wanted to take a moment to thank all who have replied to this thread.

When I started it more than a year ago I could only hope that it would be as helpful as it has turned out to be. Again, thanks for all of the great replies and hope others have found the info here useful as well.

Also thanks to the moderators for synthesizing all of the info here!

best,
Scott
Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Hi Scott

Just thought I'd say hi to a fellow GN owner. I'm the original owner of an 86' that now experiences no more than about 200 miles a year. Completely stock except for tires. I've owned 4 TR's since 1986 but continue to keep the original.

Congrats on the purchase of your TL. I've just placed an order for an 05 TSX.

Terry
Old 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Talking Possible fix to rattle

Originally Posted by steve1010
I was advised by fellow TL owner to spray 3M Silicone spray (using red stick for application) in crevass of aluminum trim around shifter radio/HVAC and pressing trim to work it into the silicone application. I will try it it and see what happens
Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
3rd Gear

Abnormal Tire Wear

Currently own 2004 TL A-spec 18k miles. Love car...

However, I have noticed abnormal wear/feathering on 18" Yoki's....Less than 6K on tires...

Anyone experience this issue...? Could it be related to A-spec allignment---camber/toe in or is it function of tire/rims?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

I had the car for 3 weeks and 1400 miles now. Noticed some irregularities...not serious problems, but annoying ones. My vin# is in the 2800's. Here's a list.

1. Occasionally, the car vibrates alittle when going above 70mph. (not too noticeable, but annoying) - sometimes it's ok...maybe the road condition
2. Wind noise on my drive side window. Sounds like the window is cracked open a little(even though it is completely closed).
3. Slight rattle in the dash near nav system
4. There were 2 instances where the car didn't start on the first crank.
5. Slight rattle near the driver's seat belt.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? If so, have you addressed it with the dealer? Did they resolve the problem? Unfortunately, I travel alot, so was unable to take it into the dealer yet. I will update once I get a chance to take it in for service.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
5th Gear

Hey there,
2012 TL tech voice tag issues (not recognizing any voice tag such as call home) I did call Handfreelink, Acura Client Service, and everyone I could to report the problem. I am a little disappointed because it appears that this issue was known by my carsalesmen and he failed to inform me of that prior to leasing the car. Afterwards, when I brought the car back to the dealer, he stated, "yea, you're right, they took a step back in the 2012 tl models" He also told me this issue was elevated to their higherups and that im not the first to report this (acura client services and HFL told me the same thing). I reported this a few weeks ago, no followup. First time acura buyer and I'm frustrated. The car makes up for it everywhere else but that feature is very important to me. I can call using the speed dial option, "1" or "2" The operating manual and youtube videos show this feature working in other vehicles. Thoughts?