TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Bluetooth primer and phone information

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mook
dulnev,

If you read further down is says all four bands are GSM.

Everyone,

Does anyone out there have any info on this phone regarding handsfree profile? I've not seen any confirmation that this phone will work with the TL as well as other phones. Even the Moto info is not that detailed.
Yes. I can confirm the V600 has Hands-Free Profile.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by huskerfan
Don't be too sure. When I went to the website and inquired about the HFP, it sent me to a screen and gave me information about the Bluetooth headset. If it does have an HFP, the designers of the website don't seem to know about it. I sent a question in asking if it would work with the HFP in the new Acura TL and have yet to get an answer. I'll let you know if I ever get one.

Some Headsets also support Hands-Free Profile. Most of the newer headsets will be HFP. Since the headset profile has very limited function, it will most likely go away as the newer devices will opt for the HFP.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Re: Panasonic X70 Does Not Work!!!!

Originally posted by tazma61
I just picked up a panasonic X70 because the phone looked so much better than the SE Z600, but it does not work. It's really fickle, where even if you dial through the car, there is no sound when it is connected... the phone will not work if it is closed, and you have to reconnect everytime you get back in the car... well, I'm going to go exchange it for the SE Z600...
The X70 will shut off Bluetooth after 20-30 seconds if there is no activity. I find this a VERY poor implementation of Bluetooth.
I HAVE been able to get it to work but the fact that it shuts off (to conserve battery) really sucks.
I would stay away from this one. Shame, cause it IS a good looking, slim phone.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Sonyericsson Z600

I know someone posted that the phone works flawlessly with the TL... I'm just wondering if they know what version of the firmware they are using...
Old 01-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sonyericsson Z600

The firmware I'm using is R2C007. Haven't had a problem with it. I believe the newest is R5Bxxx but am not sure. Depends on which website you look at. Have been trying to find a list of firmware and what changed with each revision but haven't had much luck.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by michael3314
Sonyericsson Z600

The firmware I'm using is R2C007. Haven't had a problem with it. I believe the newest is R5Bxxx but am not sure. Depends on which website you look at. Have been trying to find a list of firmware and what changed with each revision but haven't had much luck.
I've got R5B001 (latest for the US). Seems to have no problems.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Racer

Who carries or provides service using the SE z600?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:26 AM
kay
Intermediate

Originally posted by rets
I saw that already, just try to get more info. Thanks.
Hey rets, what would you like to know about the T630. I may be able to answer your questions.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Who carries or provides service using the SE z600?
You can use the phone with AT&T or Tmobile as they both have GSM networks. As far as I know neither of them sell it.
If you don't already have a phone with one of them, you can sign up, get a cheap/free phone, then swap your SIM card into the Z600, as long as it's "unlocked."
Here's some sites that sell it.

http://www.gsmphonesource.com (you must unlock yourself)
http://www.ustronics.com
http://www.expansys.us
http://www.4cellular.com

:piss2: --> my $900 worth of P800
Old 01-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Kay - can you comments on the T630: reception quality, screen readability on sunny afternoon?
Old 01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Will a GSM quad phone have a large positive impact service reception?

It appears the best phone to buy is one that runs on two technologies, TDMA & GSM. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any phones like this with bluetooth and HFP. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bollywood21
Will a GSM quad phone have a large positive impact service reception?

It appears the best phone to buy is one that runs on two technologies, TDMA & GSM. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any phones like this with bluetooth and HFP. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I HOPE to be able to correct you. I just ordered Sony Ericsson T62u TDMA/Analog/GSM phone for AT&T GAIT (GSM/TDMA) plan. I also ordered the optional Bluetooth adapter for this phone. The chances of being able to get this phone with the adapter to pair with TL are pretty slim, but it doesn't cost me anything to try this since the phone/service are returnable/cancellable without any fees or shipping charges.

And, no, getting a quad-GSM phone is not going to help with the inherent problem of poor GSM coverage in the US.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by dulnev
I HOPE to be able to correct you. I just ordered Sony Ericsson T62u TDMA/Analog/GSM phone for AT&T GAIT (GSM/TDMA) plan. I also ordered the optional Bluetooth adapter for this phone. The chances of being able to get this phone with the adapter to pair with TL are pretty slim, but it doesn't cost me anything to try this since the phone/service are returnable/cancellable without any fees or shipping charges.

And, no, getting a quad-GSM phone is not going to help with the inherent problem of poor GSM coverage in the US.
The T62u is not a Bluetooth phone. I don't know what Bluetooth adapter you are using but I do not think it's going to work in the TL.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Maxfli
The T62u is not a Bluetooth phone. I don't know what Bluetooth adapter you are using but I do not think it's going to work in the TL.
T62u *is* a Bluetooth phone, when equiped with DBA-10 Bluetooth adapter. Whether it will be able to pair with the TL is a different issue. I'm not betting my house on it, but there's a small chance that it will work. Here's a link on DBA-10:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.j...4%26LM%3DPSM_V
Old 01-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Maxfli
Some Headsets also support Hands-Free Profile. Most of the newer headsets will be HFP. Since the headset profile has very limited function, it will most likely go away as the newer devices will opt for the HFP.
What headsets use the Hands free profile and can be used with any non BT phone?
Old 01-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Instructor

This is a far stretch, but is it possible to do a hardwire install on a non-gsm bluetooth cell phone to your car and somehow get the phone display to work within the instrumentation panel. I am really concerned about GSM coverage only, by AT&T, cingular, & t-mobile. This will defeat the wireless concept, but as long as the buttons on the steering wheel work and the display within instrumentation panel work, I would be happy.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:48 PM
kay
Intermediate

Originally posted by alvon
Kay - can you comments on the T630: reception quality, screen readability on sunny afternoon?
Well, I'm coming from Nokia. In particular the 6600 and before that 6610. I personally think the reception quality is poor compared to the nokia's that I had before. It to the point that I want to get rid of the phone sometimes.

The screen readability is excellent though. It remind me of the 6600 that I had. I actually transfers my pics and wallpaper from my 6600 to the T630 and they look just as good. The sunny does affect readability, but not as bad as other phones I've tried.

The camera completely SUCKS! Coming from the camera on the 6600. The T630 camera is worthless. You can't get a decent pic with it. The 6600 camera was able to take very clean pics. Especially with optimal lighting. No matter what I do I can not get a decent pic with the T630.

Now that I've bashed the phone,.. let me tell you what I do like.

The bluetooth is the best I've used to date. It handles all my devices well. It pair with the 6600 fine and I transferred all my pics and phones numbers fine. IT works excellent with my TL. The battery signal and reception show. It every works with my nokia HS-3W. When someone calls and the phone is pair with the Nokia HS-3W. The phone itself will ring and also the HS-3W. That's something nokia couldn't even get right themselves. I also like that you can look at the device it's pair with and see what profile it is using. For example you can click on HandsFreeLink under My Devices and see that it supports Object push, File Transfer, and Handsfree. When you get a text message it even gives you an option to print the text message via bluetooth. I wish my P900 had this kind of bluetooth power.

I hope this helps you.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:51 PM
kay
Intermediate

Originally posted by dulnev
T62u *is* a Bluetooth phone, when equiped with DBA-10 Bluetooth adapter. Whether it will be able to pair with the TL is a different issue. I'm not betting my house on it, but there's a small chance that it will work. Here's a link on DBA-10:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.j...4%26LM%3DPSM_V
Hey, I have a DBA-10 Bluetooth adapter. I used it when I had my T62. I hated that phone. Anyway, if anyone wants to take it off my hands let me know. I have no use for it now.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

Info on our Handsfree system...

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/corpp...release698.asp
Old 01-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Instructor

I keep waiting and waiting...

I've been watching nokia's page... I can't wait for them to release their 6820. That is the phone I'm probably going to snatch up. Do you know if ATT/Cingular/etc would let you demo a phone before you buy it. I'd want to insure that it would link up completely (show signal, caller id, batt life, etc) before I drop the cash for the phone.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,47814,00.html

My g/f has the 6800.. it's a pretty tight phone. However, it doesn't have bluetooth (nor the camera). I just have an old moto v60 right now (had it for over a year). No blue tooth in it.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 AM
kay
Intermediate

Re: I keep waiting and waiting...

Originally posted by cblackburn
I've been watching nokia's page... I can't wait for them to release their 6820. That is the phone I'm probably going to snatch up. Do you know if ATT/Cingular/etc would let you demo a phone before you buy it. I'd want to insure that it would link up completely (show signal, caller id, batt life, etc) before I drop the cash for the phone.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,47814,00.html

My g/f has the 6800.. it's a pretty tight phone. However, it doesn't have bluetooth (nor the camera). I just have an old moto v60 right now (had it for over a year). No blue tooth in it.
cblackburn
You can get the 6820 now unlocked. You don't have to wait.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: I keep waiting and waiting...

Originally posted by kay
cblackburn
You can get the 6820 now unlocked. You don't have to wait.

Really? Where? I looked on Nokia's site.. and didn't see the 6820 for sale yet. Only the 6800.

I'll prolly end up buying it from ATT or Cingular once it comes out.. I'd get a bit of a discount there. My car (blue/gray/nav/6mt) should be available in about a month or so.. once I get the car, I'll prolly get the phone the next day, heh.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:58 PM
kay
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: I keep waiting and waiting...

Originally posted by cblackburn
Really? Where? I looked on Nokia's site.. and didn't see the 6820 for sale yet. Only the 6800.

I'll prolly end up buying it from ATT or Cingular once it comes out.. I'd get a bit of a discount there. My car (blue/gray/nav/6mt) should be available in about a month or so.. once I get the car, I'll prolly get the phone the next day, heh.
http://www.gsmphonesource.com/produc...tomer/home.php

That's funny I was going to get that same exact car, but I was getting out of a lease and couldn't be without a car. So I got (Grey/black/nav/6mt) I love the black interior, but prefer the blue exterior than the grey. My ideal car would be (blue/black/nav/6mt) but they don't have it.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:53 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up

HFP system for Acura was designed by Johnson Controls. I have someone in RnD trying to find out which BT adapters might work.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Relevant news story;
http://www.forbes.com/technology/new...tr1209958.html
Old 01-16-2004, 07:43 PM
String

entering # and * in the phone book

Originally posted by sfintel
Not a great solution, but what I've done is store an entry named "Voice Mail PIN". After I dial voice mail, I hit the talk button and say, "send Voice Mail Pin".
But you still can't send # or * which is required by some voice mail systems. Any other ideas?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Re: entering # and * in the phone book

Originally posted by patel4721
But you still can't send # or * which is required by some voice mail systems. Any other ideas?
Yes you can. Pound and star are recognized by HFP.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

For Sprint users interested, I checked the comments on this board and decided to find a Sony/Ericsson T608 while they are avaialbe. Based on what I read I first went to Ebay where they are selling for $300+. I checked the Sprint site where they are not listed and called to try and order one. After about five minutes of checking she said yes we have one and I ordered it for $214 including shipping in 2-5 business days. I hope it works!
Old 01-18-2004, 03:12 PM
10th Gear

For Sprint users interested, I checked the comments on this board and decided to find a Sony/Ericsson T608 while they are avaialbe. Based on what I read I first went to Ebay where they are selling for $300+. I checked the Sprint site where they are not listed and called to try and order one. After about five minutes of checking she said yes we have one and I ordered it for $214 including shipping in 2-5 business days. I hope it works!
I bought the T608 for Sprint in December and works just fine with the TL. Good luck with yours!

CF
Old 01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Pro

I just got mine Friday morning...l took a long trip this weekend.. still on it

it works great...

A FEW times however the phone said cal coming in then disappeared and the caler was able to hea rme and I couldnt hear them.

Also, once there was a conflict with Phone and Nav even though I wasnt talking with Nav.. to fix I just sent a command through the voice of nav and then it seemed fine.

Bluetooth is the way to go... I was going to wait, but for safety it is SO much better to have bluetooth especiually in the snow then messing with a phone on your ear or headset.

I also ordered the HF65 bluetooth headset.. should be here tomorrow...

Another good thing about the T608... If I do NOT USE the phone.. and it is off, it seems there is no battery drain at ALL... I plug the charger in and it shows FULL.. most phones drain even when left out of use for a day.

However the battery life is not that great... I would suggest getting the CLA-12 car cord.

Also, does ANYONE have a good SEETHROUGH FRONT case for the T608 with all holes in the right place? I could not find one on Sprints website or anywhere else.... I mean the one piece case where you dont have to remove the phone.

It would be aprpeciated greatly.

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Here's some info for Verizon users
http://www.cellphonehacks.com/viewto...0fb63d56bebf16
Old 01-20-2004, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by dima02
Here's some info for Verizon users
http://www.cellphonehacks.com/viewto...0fb63d56bebf16

Thanks for posting this. This looks really promising.
I'm a verizon customer, and I'm considering getting the T608 from ebay, and giving it a try.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

went to best buy and spoke to the guy for cingular he said the motorola v600 will be here he thinks feb 1 if not he offered to program it to work for me if i got it from ATT which currently has the phone.
Burning Brakes

went to best buy and spoke to the guy for cingular he said the motorola v600 will be here he thinks feb 1 if not he offered to program it to work for me if i got it from ATT which currently has the phone.
Burning Brakes

Old 01-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

anyone here using cingular with bluetooth
Old 01-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by nitrotiger
anyone here using cingular with bluetooth
Uh... me. Your question?
Old 01-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

which phone it seems only nokia and the t616 are it for now
Old 01-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by nitrotiger
which phone it seems only nokia and the t616 are it for now
I have the T616, but Cingular also offers a Siemens phone with Bluetooth.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

I am picking up my TL next month. I have ATT Wireless service. I need a phone that is "Multi-Network" (will work GSM and Digital) to get service in Vermont (only Digital). Is there a Bluetooth Digital phone or Multi-network bluetooth phone that works well with the TL?
Thanks.
David

Quick Reply: Bluetooth primer and phone information