TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Bluetooth primer and phone information

Old 11-30-2003, 10:49 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is an option in the 04 TL that allows you to select which BT phone you want to activate, so 2 phones will not be a problem, as only one will work with the HFL.

I just got my anthrisite 6MT+ NAV last week, and eveyrthing works like a charm. Tested the Bluetooth with the Sony T616, need to test the P900 now once it's available locally.

life is good...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by NOX 3.2
There is an option in the 04 TL that allows you to select which BT phone you want to activate, so 2 phones will not be a problem, as only one will work with the HFL.

I just got my anthrisite 6MT+ NAV last week, and eveyrthing works like a charm. Tested the Bluetooth with the Sony T616, need to test the P900 now once it's available locally.

life is good...
Don't bet on the P900 or P800 working. I have been through it, and SE confirmed that these phones don't have the HandsFree profile to operate with the car. Although they can pair, but the car won't find the phone.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Instructor

I heard from Sprint PCS customer sevice today that the SonyEricsson T608 would be released soon. For now I am just sitting patiently waiting to see what happens. Can anybody add to this? There was a short discussion about this phone earlier on this thread.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Just to let people know:

I successfully got my number ported from Verizon to Cingular, and i switched to a SE T616.

The pairing process was EASY as pie if you follow the instructions, and the handsfree works very well. I did have the echo problem once, but a call back fixed it.

Very nice, and I'm glad the TL got me into a bluetooth phone, the wireless synching with my computer is amazing. No more programming your phone, just tell it to synch and it downloads all your outlook contacts and calendar info with no fuss.

The phone is much better than my motorola T720.

Ryan
Old 12-01-2003, 05:12 PM
10th Gear

No P900? How could that be? I guess the solution would be to get a second sim card on your account and go for t68i or something that you could just keep in the car.. I still find it hard to believe that I just payed $1000 for a phone that won't work with a hands free device. Well, at least it looks sexy.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally posted by viper5150
I still find it hard to believe that I just payed $1000 for a phone that won't work with a hands free device.
One thousand dollars?!?!?!!? For that kinda money, I hope the phone gives you a BJ every night!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:55 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

ok, now that we know the P900 won't work with the TL because it lacks the "Hands Free Profile" part of Bluetooth,

I'm searching for a new phone. the T616 is way too small for my hands, I can't dial or use that mini-joystick confortably...

Does anybody knows if the NOKIA 7700 will work with the TL ?

- the phone looks like a video game...big screen.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/hardwar.../specs/28.html
Old 12-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Cell phone research site I use.. hope this helps someone.

Search by provider, phone, etc..

www.phonescoop.com
Old 12-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm searching for a new phone. the T616 is way too small for my hands, I can't dial or use that mini-joystick confortably...

I thought the same but after using the 616 for a week its really easy. It works flawlessly with the TL and setup was really fast. The joystick is great and you don't even have to read the manual. It has voice activated commands although I haven't used it. I just turn it on and throw it somewhere in the car and usually forget about it and have to go back to the car later to get it.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Bluettoth Phones

The T61C, T62U and P800 are Bluetooth Headset phones NOT Hands-Free. They will not work in the TL

Check out WWW.HANDSFREELINK.COM for the supported phone list.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Re: Bluetooth primer and phone information

YOU SAID:
Originally posted by chadr
[STUFF DELETED]peripherals, telephones and computers.

Ok so what cell phones work with my TL? - To work with the TL the phone needs to support bluetooth 1.1 specification and also have a wireless or hands-free profile. The car uses this profile to use the settings of the phone.

Ok so again what phones work with my TL? - There are only a small number of compatible phones are the market currently. Here is a list.

SonyEriccsson
T68i (discontinued model)
T61c
T62u
T610/616 (soon defunct model, has some echo issues)
P800

Siemens
S56

Nokia
N-Gage
6310i

Models that will be available soon and should work with the car:

SonyEriccsson
Z600
T630
P900

Nokia

Panaonic
x70

Motorola
v600
v500

What cell phone companies have phones that support bluetooth? - Currently the major companies that have phones that support bluetooth are the companies that offer GSM support. That would be AT&T Wireless, T-mobile and Cingular in the US. Verizon and Sprint users are SOL for the forseeable future.

Might want to sticky this one. [/B]

The T61,T62, P800 and P900 will NOT work with the TL's Handsfree link.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 AM
kay
Intermediate

N-gage doesn't work with the TL. I tried it last night. It seems that list isn't very accurate.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

How about the XDA II? Has anyone tried it?

http://www.infosyncworld.com/hardwar.../specs/25.html
Old 12-03-2003, 11:32 AM
10th Gear

Nevermind... Found the answer:

The Xda II supports bluetooth headset but not hands free. This means you cannot voice activate commands hands free with your bluetooth headset, even if the headset supports hands free. The Xda II does not support hands free bluetooth profile.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

wow, that XDA II looks like a cool phone, very high tech.
too bad it doesn't support Hands Free Profile.

How do you know it doesn't.
what should I look for to find out if a phone supports HFP ?
is it Bluetooth 1.1 ?

I'm trying to find out about the NOKIA 7700 and most of the phones say they support Bluetooth, but as we all know, it needs a special kind of Bluetooth feature in order to couple with the 04 TL.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

I found their website. Guess I should have included that in the post.. :P

Anyway, here's the link to their FAQ section. If it doesn't come up with the right answer, click on "10. How to Use Bluetooth".

http://www.myxda.com/XdaII/personal/...category_id=33
Old 12-04-2003, 05:40 AM
Intermediate

Question non-blue tooth phones and TL

Hi All
Does anyone know if a product such as Jabra FreeSpeak™
Wireless Headset and Multi-adapter for Non-Bluetooth Phones (http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSp...nBluetooth.htm)
will work with the TL. Bluetrek and otehrs also offer an adapter for non-bluetooh phones to work with their blue tooth headset.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:33 AM
6th Gear

I think this question came up in an earlier post.

In summary: NONE OF THEM (Jabra & Bluetrek) WORK WITH THE ACURA!

I got a Bluetrek set from eBay a month ago and learned the hard way about the Hands Free Profile requirement. Rule of thumb: if it doesn't say HANDS FREE PROFILE then it doesn't support it, and won't work with the Acura -- regardless of the number of other "profiles" it may support.

I spoke with some of the Bluetrek folks and they hope to have an upgrade out in the spring, but for now it's not compatible.

That being said, it's still a pretty nice device.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TLcrazy
In summary: NONE OF THEM (Jabra & Bluetrek) WORK WITH THE ACURA!
I don't understand this thread: the Jabra and Bluetrek devices are headsets. Their connection is to the phone, not to HFL. You can have the headset's Bluetooth radio active while in the car. It's up to the phone to send the audio stream to either HFL or the headset. What didn't work with my SET616 was transferring a call directly from HFL to the Bluetrek. I could do it in two steps: transfer the call from the MID to the phone then from the phone to the Bluetrek.

Am I missing something on functionality here?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Instructor

N-Gage

Originally posted by kay
N-gage doesn't work with the TL. I tried it last night. It seems that list isn't very accurate.
N-Gage WILL work with the TL. Make sure you are useing the proper pairing procedure.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by sfintel
I don't understand this thread: the Jabra and Bluetrek devices are headsets. Their connection is to the phone, not to HFL. You can have the headset's Bluetooth radio active while in the car. It's up to the phone to send the audio stream to either HFL or the headset. What didn't work with my SET616 was transferring a call directly from HFL to the Bluetrek. I could do it in two steps: transfer the call from the MID to the phone then from the phone to the Bluetrek.

No You have the procedure correct. you must transfer the call from headset to phone an dthen to HFL. Currently the Bluetooth phones can only connect to one audio device at a time. In order to transfer from the headset to the HFL the phone would have to have a connection to each then transfer the audio then disconnect one of the devices. The current BT phones can't do this but this IS a function that is desired and being worked on for later phones. The Bluetooth Special Interest Group is working on specfications for connecting multiple audio type devices. Expect this type of function probably mid-late 2004.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Instructor

ok, now that we know the P900 won't work with the TL because it lacks the "Hands Free Profile" part of Bluetooth,

Does anybody knows if the NOKIA 7700 will work with the TL ?

- the phone looks like a video game...big screen.

Check out www.handsfreelink.com. Not a complete list but has most of them.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by mbidwell
How can I set up a HandFreeLink Phonebook entry for accessing voicemails? E.g. that will send a string of pauses (#), mailbox number, then password.

Haven't been able to figure this one out yet.
Once you have used the DIAL command to dial your VM number and are connected. when the VM system prompts for PW just push the PU button and say the digits you need. example:
If you PW is 12345 just push the PU button and say "12345". Then press the PU button again and the HFL will "tell" the phone to send the digits 12345.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 AM
kay
Intermediate

Re: N-Gage

Originally posted by Maxfli
N-Gage WILL work with the TL. Make sure you are useing the proper pairing procedure.
I've successfully pair a T616 and a Nokia 3650, so I know I'm pairing the phone right. But, after I pair the N-gage and try to make a call it gives me the message, "no phones paired..."

I'm sure the N-gage that I used does not work with the TL and it wasn't user error. I have a Nokia 6600 which comes with the Handsfree profile as a standard. But for some reason it does not work fully with the TL. I can pair and even make and receive calls using the TL handsfree system, but for some reason I can not get the sound to come from the speakers. The sound will only come from the phone. I've tried using the transfer command, but still I get no sound.

To tell you the truth I'm not surprised that some Nokias are working when other's aren't. I expected that. I have a P900 that I'm going to upgrade to support the Handsfree Profile and use that. I prefer that phone over the nokias anyway.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:42 PM
CEO of IMHO

Can't you also tell the handsfreelink system in the acura to "dial password" assuming you stored your password in advance?

I'd rather not be saying my PIN aloud if others are in the car with me.

Jon

Once you have used the DIAL command to dial your VM number and are connected. when the VM system prompts for PW just push the PU button and say the digits you need. example:
If you PW is 12345 just push the PU button and say "12345". Then press the PU button again and the HFL will "tell" the phone to send the digits 12345.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Can't you also tell the handsfreelink system in the acura to "dial password" assuming you stored your password in advance?

I'd rather not be saying my PIN aloud if others are in the car with me.

Jon
No, I don't believe you can do that.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: N-Gage

Originally posted by kay
I've successfully pair a T616 and a Nokia 3650, so I know I'm pairing the phone right. But, after I pair the N-gage and try to make a call it gives me the message, "no phones paired..."

I'm sure the N-gage that I used does not work with the TL and it wasn't user error. I have a Nokia 6600 which comes with the Handsfree profile as a standard. But for some reason it does not work fully with the TL. I can pair and even make and receive calls using the TL handsfree system, but for some reason I can not get the sound to come from the speakers. The sound will only come from the phone. I've tried using the transfer command, but still I get no sound.

To tell you the truth I'm not surprised that some Nokias are working when other's aren't. I expected that. I have a P900 that I'm going to upgrade to support the Handsfree Profile and use that. I prefer that phone over the nokias anyway.
Yes you are right. The early release of the Nokia 6600 is VERY buggy. It will not allow the audio to go to the HFL. Not very good QA job on Nokia's part. The P900 has no upgrade for Hands-Free that I am awear of.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: N-Gage

Originally posted by kay

OK. Now that I read you entire post ...

The N-Gage will disconnect after pairing (T68i does this as well). you will have to press the PU button twice, or after pairing force a connection from the N-gage. This is under the Bluetooth Devices menu some where.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 PM
CEO of IMHO

No, I don't believe you can do that.
Agh! Please, tell me it isn't so. Why wouldn't you be able to do this??
Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: N-Gage

OK. Now that I read you entire post ...

The N-Gage will disconnect after pairing (T68i does this as well). you will have to press the PU button twice, or after pairing force a connection from the N-gage. This is under the Bluetooth Devices menu some where.

Actually I think you can use the "SELECT PHONE" command on the HFL. If the press PU button twice does not work.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:05 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

If you want to read about who created the HandsFreeLink system for the 04 ACURA TL, read this...

http://www.embeddedstar.com/press/co...dded11117.html

I believe the HandsFreeProfile is hardware based, so you won't be able to add it to any phone that doesn't come with it, like the P900. (unless an external/internal board is deviced for it).
Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 AM
6th Gear

Originally posted by sfintel

Good point, Steve.

Let me rephrase my post: the Jabra and Bluetrek transmitters won't work because they don't support the Hands Free Profile. If you have a compatible phone, then you can switch profiles on the phone to then communitcate with a Jabra or Bluetrek earpiece. When I said it didn't work I was referring to the earpiece/transmitter pair, not the earpiece alone.

In other words, the Acura and the earpiece speak different protocols, and some phones (like yours) can speak both.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:20 AM
kay
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: Re: N-Gage

Actually I think you can use the "SELECT PHONE" command on the HFL. If the press PU button twice does not work.
Maxfi, thanks for all the help. I assume that "PU button" stands for pair device, right? Sorry for the newbie question. I will also try the "select phone" command and see if that works for me.

By the way, have you, or anyone for that matter, tried using a T630? I may get this phone and get rid of the buggy 6600 if it works well with the car.

As for the P900, I've actually read some forums and people are saying that they upgraded the firmware on the phone and it supports handsfree now, or some form of it. I'll look for the link post it when I find it.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Racer

I have the t616 at this point and it works beautifully. It seems the SE phones work the best so far. The t630 is the same phone as the t616 with just some upgrades so it should work without problems. My plan is to upgrade to the z600 soon.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Instructor

I haven't heard of any complaints about the Siemen S56 either.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's using a 6310i? So far it works great but the Signal strength and power meters don't show up!

Anyone else using this phone that I could compare notes with?
Old 12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I have the 6301i and youre right - none of that stuff shows up on the display - too bad because apart from that the phone seems pretty good.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
CEO of IMHO

just a quick confirmation....

after pairing, you don't have to touch the phone at all to make a call with the TL, right? I can keep in my pocket the entire time, right?

Jon
Old 12-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
just a quick confirmation....

after pairing, you don't have to touch the phone at all to make a call with the TL, right? I can keep in my pocket the entire time, right?

Jon
Again, some Phones will disconnect the Bluetooth link after the pairing process. So you may need to make a Bluetooth connection after pairing.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:52 PM
CEO of IMHO

Which ones specifically are truly hands-free and which ones require connection?

Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth primer and phone information