TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Bluetooth primer and phone information

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:17 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm learning something from reading this thread! Let me rephrase what I think I've learned:

Certain BT phones require a manual HPF enabling process. So, each time I enter my TL, if I have a 270C (Fuque's phone), I need to manually set the phone and car up.

I am also to understand that certain phones, like the T616 do this automagically.

Is this correct?

Next, what is "transfer sound"?

You see, here's how I envisioned this process working:

- I slip BT phone into my pocket in the morning along with my wallet.
- I get into my new, ultra-cool, uber-sporty TL
- My BT phone finds the car (or visa versa) and they link up because they are within 30 feet of each other, and because I've priviously done a "pairing."
- I hold down the "talk" button, and say "Call Mom" and I'm connected via my BT phone to my mom. From here, I can talk to my mom hands-free without any hand leaving the steering wheel.

Am I off anywhere?

Jon
Old 11-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JonDeutsch
I think I'm learning something from reading this thread! Let me rephrase what I think I've learned:

Certain BT phones require a manual HPF enabling process. So, each time I enter my TL, if I have a 270C (Fuque's phone), I need to manually set the phone and car up.
BT is not supposed to work this way. Both the phone and the car should keep a record of devices they have been paired with so that subsequent connections happen automagically.

Next, what is "transfer sound"?
By default, any handset will direct it's sound input / output to the handset-based microphone and speaker. If the phone finds another device capable of providing sound I/O capabilities, it needs to be instructed on what to do. For simplicity's sake, most phones will hand off the call to a BT device in range. When in my TL, the phone will send the incoming ring to HFL. If I hit the talk button on the steering wheel, the call will happen through HFL. If I hit the talk button on the phone, the call will be directed to the handset. Now let's say I start a call with HFL and arrive at my destination: I would like to continue the call but don't want to sit in the car. I hit the talk button on the steering wheel and say (clearly ) "Transfer" which will transfer the audio from HFL to the handset.

- My BT phone finds the car (or visa versa) and they link up because they are within 30 feet of each other, and because I've priviously done a "pairing."
- I hold down the "talk" button, and say "Call Mom" and I'm connected via my BT phone to my mom. From here, I can talk to my mom hands-free without any hand leaving the steering wheel.

Am I off anywhere?

Jon
Exactly correct. In fact, that's how I handle my phone now. I think problem that the folks with the 270C are having is that either the phone or the HFL are not storing their paired records (it must occur on both sides).
Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Racer

Originally posted by sfintel
Exactly correct. In fact, that's how I handle my phone now. I think problem that the folks with the 270C are having is that either the phone or the HFL are not storing their paired records (it must occur on both sides).
There are at least two potential problems with my 270C:

The phone seems to have a buggy "discovery mode" - this makes it difficult for the HFL to "see" the phone for the very first time (during the initial pairing process). Because of this, I can never actually get to the point where a pair bond is established between the phone and the HFL.

The other possibility is that, even though the HFL does see the 270C, it doesn't link with it because the phone does not support the Bluetooth hands free profile which the HFL wants to use, and the HFL does not support the headset profile that my phone wants to use.

I really wish I had a Bluetooth protocol analyzer so I could sniff the traffic between the phone and the HFL and figure out exactly what's going wrong.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by fuque
I really wish I had a Bluetooth protocol analyzer so I could sniff the traffic between the phone and the HFL and figure out exactly what's going wrong.
Ah, the downside of being an intelligent engineer: assume you find a bug in the phone. How are you going to explain to the incompetent tech support 'engineers' that their phone is broken? And assuming you do, how will you get them to take any action?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Instructor

For those who are considering what phone to buy:
A (perhaps) minor issue I have discovered about my Nokia 631i is that it doesnt send battery and signal strength indicators to the acura display.

Doesn anyone know which phones do send this info to the display?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Instructor

The SonyEricsson T616 send signal strength, battery level and incoming call number to the display in the car.
_
Old 11-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by paddiwakk
For those who are considering what phone to buy:
A (perhaps) minor issue I have discovered about my Nokia 631i is that it doesnt send battery and signal strength indicators to the acura display.

The Siemens S56 sends battery level, signal strength and incoming call info to the MID display.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Unhappy bluetooth

Should the non-nav caller-id display phone #s and names in the center display? How do I tranfer function from phone to car and car to phone during a call when entering or leaving the car? I use T-mobile/Sony Ericsson T610.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Unhappy bluetooth

Should the non-nav caller-id display phone #s and names in the center display? How do I tranfer function from phone to car and car to phone during a call when entering or leaving the car? I use T-mobile/Sony Ericsson T610.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Re: bluetooth

Originally posted by chas083
No, it shows in the MID (under the temp / fuel guages) in both nav and non-nav models.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Racer

There's a Jabra cordless earpiece that's sold in Verizon stores that uses Bluetooth technology. The techs in the store have no clue if their phones will ever use this technology.

After they set-up the "travel with your phone number" to different carriers maybe they'll be more interested in hearing from us about our needs.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Has anyone gotten the SE P800/P900 to work with the HFL?

Ryan
Old 11-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

I just tested the HFL thing with my friend's Nokia 3650 phone (from T-Mobile). It paired without any problems but the display in TL doesn't show the signal strength or the battery level or even the number of the incoming call. All it shows when a call comes in is "incoming call". It does show the number you dial out (using the voice commands).

The sound quality was pretty good, but it is very useful to see the caller-id of the incoming calls. Has anyone seen this kind of information with the Nokia 3650 phone?

sfintel, you said SE T616 supports all the functions and you do see all the info in the TL MID. Do you have any echo problems with this phone as I have read in this (& other forums) that T616's have a echo problem?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by GCool
sfintel, you said SE T616 supports all the functions and you do see all the info in the TL MID. Do you have any echo problems with this phone as I have read in this (& other forums) that T616's have a echo problem?
I've read about it here, but never experienced it. And I've had three of them.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Racer

Just for snicks, I took my laptop (with a USB Bluetooth dongle) out to the car last night and tried pairing it. The software that comes with my Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle supports several services, including the Headset Profile but excluding the Hands Free Profile. Guess what? I was able to successfully pair the laptop with the HFL!

Of course, just because they were paired doesn't mean I can do anything useful with the combo, but it does tell me one thing: the problems I am having with the Motorola 270C are not related to its lack of Hands Free Profile support.

FWIW
Old 11-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 00TLOwner
I should get my TL next week and I will try to test it with my P800 and will let you know if I succeed. BTW I was told by a BMW owner that P800s won't work on those cars, so maybe it doesnt have the Hands-free profile. On the other hand if you look at the P800 Accessories on the SE website, you will see the Handsfree Car HCB-30 as an option. Please let us know if you suceed.
Well I got my TL, and I was able to go through the pairing procedure and successfully paired the phone, but when I tried using "Call", etc., it came back with "No Phone found". I paired my wife's T68i and it works fine, without any problems. Anybody have a P800 working with the TL. Can you post the firmware version number?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Racer

For anyone looking to make a switch come Monday check out Amazons deals on AT&T cell phones. You can actually make money buying from them.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...899729-6499206
Old 11-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 00TLOwner
Well I got my TL, and I was able to go through the pairing procedure and successfully paired the phone, but when I tried using "Call", etc., it came back with "No Phone found". I paired my wife's T68i and it works fine, without any problems. Anybody have a P800 working with the TL. Can you post the firmware version number?
I checked in another Board, Howardforums which is quite upto date on mobile phones, and it seems the P800/P900 are missing the right profile. See this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...22#post1951122
Old 11-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Banned

[i]

Am I off anywhere?

Jon [/B]
Only in the part of calling "Mom":lol2:

Instead, it should be --Hold down talk button and say "call Pamela", the hot South Beach model that you are going out on a date with.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:12 AM
2nd Gear

Well I'm stuck with Verizon for the time being. Does anyone know if Verizon has any plans to release any bluetooth phones anytime soon? Or does anyone know of a good source to find out info on upcoming phones (verizon especially)?

TIA
Old 11-25-2003, 01:23 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Talked to Verizon yesterday. They are not coming out with any BT phones in near future. At least that is what I was told by a cust.rep. Asked them what are the termination penalty she said $175. Once I get my TL early next year, I'll pay $175, get my no. and go to T-Mobile or somebody else. Get the best free phone and swap with my wife's T68i.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:57 PM
kay
Intermediate

I tried pairing the Nokia 6600 with the Acura TL and everything works except I do not get sound through the speakers. For some reason it connects, I'm able to dial and number using the system and everything, but voice still comes from the headset. Do you think it's my phone,.. can anyone else confirm that they get the phone to work successfully with the car? I've heard from a couple people that the phone has the handsfree profile and it should work fine.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is an updated list of available phones I got from best buy today.
Ericsson
t39m, r520m, z600, p800
t68m,t68i, t616/610 (att, cingular, t-mobile)
nokia
6310i, 3650, 3600, n-gage (att, cingular, t-mobile)
Motorola
t280i, a380, a835
t270c(alltel, quest, verizon)
v600 gsm (att, cingular)
Siemens
sx1, s55, u10, u15
s56 (att, cingular)
VK MObile
vg400
Palm Tungsten
Pocket Pc 5100, 5500
Old 11-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Instructor

acur8ly:

I think that the problem with that list is that most of those phones do not have the appropriate hands free profile to work with the Johnson Controls HFL system in the TL. See prior discussions regarding this issue.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Bad News about P800/P900. Talked to the Service Manager at Sony Ericsson Canada. He basically said that P800/P900 will not be getting the hands free profile as part of any firmware upgrade. What deal, eh? We pay top dollar for a phone which we think has everything, buy a top car, and they can't work together.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Instructor

here is a pretty good link to cell phones and bluetooth
http://mobilephones.infosyncworld.com/
Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 AM
Advanced

On the first page of this sticky the SE t62u is listed as a compatible phone later on it is not included on someones list. This may be because it has to have an accessory plugged into the bottom of the phone but it is bluetooth capable. It just isnt listed with this as a major feature in a lot of write ups....kind of have to search it out under available accessories sometimes. Anyway I would love to hear if anyone has any experienc with this phone. It is the only bluetooth multiband available from ATT and my gsm panasonic get such lousy reception they recommended I go to a multiband phone. SO I ordered one but then called the att accessories to order the bluetooth and bingo it aint avialable to att for sale and the salesman doubted seriously that the Sony Ericsoon webstie would even be selling them. I have an email to them to find out. Guess we'll see how prompt their support staff is. When I find out more I will get back to everyone. Supposedly different GSM phones get different reception in the same geographic areas so I guess the next step will be the T616. We shall see. Jim
Old 11-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by hickdoc
Supposedly different GSM phones get different reception in the same geographic areas so I guess the next step will be the T616. We shall see. Jim
I just bought a T616, and have used it in the TL a few times. Aside from a small glitch(*) the very first time I used it, it has been working flawlessly with the HFL. I have not experienced any echo problems with mine. As for cellular reception, I haven't noticed any problems so far - not even one dropped call. <knock on wood>

(*) For some unknown reason, the HFL lost its Bluetooth link to the phone momentarily while I was placing my very first call. The problem has not recurred since then, however.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Banned

Just to let you all know, my Sony T-616 mated up perfectly, has no echo, and I can use the transfer mode without a hitch. This phone seems perfectly mated to the TL
Old 11-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Do you get caller ID information on incoming calls? What about if you're on a call and you have another incoming call. Will it display a call waiting indicatorwith the # on the TL display?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Satman
Do you get caller ID information on incoming calls? What about if you're on a call and you have another incoming call. Will it display a call waiting indicatorwith the # on the TL display?
My T616 works perfectly too. I subscribe to caller ID so I get the numbers showing on the dash along with battery and signal strength. I would assume call waiting would show the number also but I don't have it.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Instructor

I don't get that many cellular calls, but I seem to remember one time that I did get a call waiting and the number showed up on the MID.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:53 PM
kay
Intermediate

Anyone have any success with the Nokia 6600?
Old 11-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Racer

Do you get caller ID information on incoming calls?
Yes. Unfortunately, even though the phone knows the name of the caller (if the caller is in the phone book), it either doesn't send the name over to the HFL, or the HFL doesn't display the name on the MID. Similarly, even if the number is in the HFL's phone book, it doesn't say the name of the caller - it just displays the phone number on the MID.

It's kinda like the early days of Caller*ID when the little box didn't know the caller's name, and you had to memorize everyone's phone numbers in order to know who was calling. :banghead:
Old 11-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Straight from the horses mouth. The attachment for the T62U that made it bluetooth capable is longer available from Sony Ericsson...how nice. Scratch t62u off the list.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Racer

Originally posted by hickdoc
The attachment for the T62U that made it bluetooth capable is longer available from Sony Ericsson...how nice. Scratch t62u off the list.
...Unless you manage to score one from eBay...
Old 11-30-2003, 09:00 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Unhappy

Wow, I returned a T616 because it's too small for me (I can't dial confortably) and I wanted to get a P900 when they came out. Are you sure it's not 100% Bluetooth compatible with HFL ?

It says on Sony's website it's Bluetooth compatible.

bummer....
Old 11-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Instructor

What happens if two people with bluetooth phones are in the car? When bluetooth becomes more and more prevalent, what will prevent someones stuff interfereing with someone elses? They must have thought about that, so does anyone know?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Advanced

I think I can deal with the number showing up on the MID. I'm sure that's more of a phone issue than anything else. I went to Cingular tonight. They said they'll have a new Motorola phone in next week. I can't remember the model but its bluetooth ready.

Should be interesting when it comes out!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TimN88
What happens if two people with bluetooth phones are in the car?
Nothing, as long as only one of them is paired with the HFL. Just this evening I used my paired BT phone to demonstrate the HFL to someone with the same model of BT phone who was sitting in the car with me - I used the HFL to call his cell phone. When he answered it, the echo effect was positively psychedelic...

I suspect there may be a problem if you have more than one paired BT phone in the car at the same time (e.g. you and your wife are both riding in the car and both have your phones with you). In that case, I believe whoever isn't driving will have to turn Bluetooth off on their phone (or turn the phone itself off) for the duration of the trip.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth primer and phone information