Recall: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Old 01-28-2012, 01:06 AM
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Recall: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

At about 39,000 miles I replaced the OEM Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 06 TL with four of the exact same tires at Costco. I'm now 31,000 miles into that second set and went back for a rotation. When I came back to pick up my car the service guy tells me he didn't do the rotation and gives me this interesting story:

It turns out those particular tires do not work well with the TL. I've seen other people here complain about how the outside edge of that tire wears out faster than the middle or inside edge. Some people blamed it on a bad alignment, but Michelin recognizes the problem and no longer recommends that tire for the TL because the TL's positive camber is, apparently, not like most other cars. The outside edge of that tire is softer than the middle or inside edge and thus the outside edge wears faster and so the tire doesn't last as long.

The service guy showed me my tires and pointed out that unusual wear pattern. I knew it wasn't my alignment because I had it done just a year ago. He said the Michellin rep told him NOT to put that tire on TLs. Instead, Michelin recommends the Primacy MXM4. They don't have the soft outside edge and so are better matched to the TL.

Michelin has authorized Costco to replace any Pilot Sport A/S Plus on a TL. I don't think it's been widely broadcast to each store. I don't know the exact details for that policy. The service guy just knew about it because he had a TL himself and pointed out the problem to his Michelin rep. And the rep confirmed the issue.

Michelin is picking up the entire tab for my replacement. Technically, it's not a recall... but the outcome is the same. So they are replacing all four of my $190 Pilot Sport A/S Plus (with 31,000 miles on them!) with the $200 Primacy MXM4 High Performance. Total cost to me = $0.00! They didn't have any in stock and had to special ordered the Primacy for me. Will be here in a few days.

My Pilot Sport A/S Plus is 235/45ZR17 94Y. The Primacy MXM4 replacement is 235/45R17 94W.

Interesting. No?
The following 3 users liked this post by waltoly:
imj0257 (10-25-2012), J.Edward (10-25-2012), solutions_explorer (01-05-2014)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 AM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I just had the Pilot Sport A/S Plus 245/45 17 installed on my TL-S at Discount Tires about two week ago. I even talked with a Michelin rep before having them installed, neither metioned not recommending them for the Acura TL. Michelin did give me a 50% off the price of replacing my OEM Michelins with the Pilot Sports.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
The TL doesn't have positive camber as the specs call for negative front and rear and if it were an out of spec camber issue the inside would be worn away. Toe can certainly chew the tires up so are all the tires worn smooth or feathered on the outside.

The Michelins have a different consistancy of tread compound on the O/S and I/S but that shouldn't cause any problems if the car is set properly.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
First, it's not a "recall" and "the outcome is [NOT] the same." If it were a 'recall' they would have to actively notify all owners, sellers and installers and offer a replacelment.

What you have sounds more like a 'TSB' and even then, if it's not documented, it's just hearsay. What you're saying and what they're telling you may be true or have some basis in fact (i.e. unusual wear on the outer edge), but there is, so far, no way to prove that this is Michelin's official position.

Second, the TL runs a slightly negative camber, so "because the TL's positive camber is, apparently, not like most other cars" is factually incorrect. AFAIK most cars run sligtly negative camber, just like the TL.

I'm on my 2nd set of this tire. I've never seen any unusual wear on the front. I have seen some wear on the INNER rear edge. However I am slightly lowered and the my camber is near the spec limit on one side and just a bit OUT of spec on the other. How can I be certain that the wear in the inner edge is NOT camber wear?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
AZ Community Team

I went to Michelin.com. I entered my car info (2007, TL-S) and used their "guided selection" for a performance all season.

They recommended?

Name:  MichRec.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  88.7 KB

Old 01-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I went to Michelin.com. I entered my car info (2007, TL-S) and used their "guided selection" for a performance all season.

They recommended?

Good Job-
You seem to be able to conquer all situations!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
6th Gear

Yes, I understand that some of what I put in original post was hearsay. But there are several facts:

1. Although I didn't notice a problem before I went in, I do have a distinct wear pattern that the service says he recognized as seeing before in other TLs. The outside edges are heavily worn and chunks of rubber are chipping away. Don't blame the alignment. I had the alignment done to spec a year ago at an Acura dealership.

2. They are replacing all four tires with slightly more expensive ones. It's not a partial credit or a warranty discount. I asked specifically if Costco was footing the bill and the guy said Michelin was, including installation. He even had a special procedure for dealing with this particular situation.

3. Others here with that tire have complained about this same unusual wear pattern on their TL.

4. Yes, it's not a recall. But for ME, the outcome is LIKE a recall: Replacement tires and installation paid for by the manufacture because of a known issue with that tire.

5. I don't think ANY tire place would perform an $850 transaction for free unless it was authorized by manufacture. Remember, I didn't go in complaining about my tires; I just wanted a rotation. The service guy knew exactly what to do when he saw THAT tire on my TL. He had them ordered before he even told me about the whole issue.

You can argue about degrees of camber and the manufacture's website all you wish. I'm just sharing what happened to me. I thought it was interesting.
The following 2 users liked this post by waltoly:
LaCostaRacer (01-31-2012), Morrissey25 (02-02-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My Acura dealer recommended Michelin but wasn't specific on which tire. He just said Michelins fit Acura TL's like a glove so to speak. I can't argue that point at all because my car is rock solid with the Primacy MXM4. I have about 5000 miles on this set and best tire I have owned to date. We'll see how they continue to hold up.
The following users liked this post:
unc1dmo (09-26-2013)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by waltoly
Yes, I understand that some of what I put in original post was hearsay. But there are several facts:

1. Although I didn't notice a problem before I went in, I do have a distinct wear pattern that the service says he recognized as seeing before in other TLs. The outside edges are heavily worn and chunks of rubber are chipping away. Don't blame the alignment. I had the alignment done to spec a year ago at an Acura dealership.

2. They are replacing all four tires with slightly more expensive ones. It's not a partial credit or a warranty discount. I asked specifically if Costco was footing the bill and the guy said Michelin was, including installation. He even had a special procedure for dealing with this particular situation.

3. Others here with that tire have complained about this same unusual wear pattern on their TL.

4. Yes, it's not a recall. But for ME, the outcome is LIKE a recall: Replacement tires and installation paid for by the manufacture because of a known issue with that tire.

5. I don't think ANY tire place would perform an $850 transaction for free unless it was authorized by manufacture. Remember, I didn't go in complaining about my tires; I just wanted a rotation. The service guy knew exactly what to do when he saw THAT tire on my TL. He had them ordered before he even told me about the whole issue.

You can argue about degrees of camber and the manufacture's website all you wish. I'm just sharing what happened to me. I thought it was interesting.
Wow I have those same tires and they are almost shot at 21K miles.

In fact, I went to Costco to repair a flat with them in November and they told me that they won't be doing any more rotations because there is just 5K left on them.

My tire condition appears similar with wear on outside edge mostly but the inner edge shows more wear than the middle too. The car had a 4-wheel alignment shortly after this set and the pressure has been maintained at 33-34PSI. I have now brought the PSI to 36/37 to help extend their life a little longer. This sounds like a silent recall and is a smart move on Michelins part

I was actually just shopping for new tires when I saw this thread. I guess I'll have to go to my Costco and check on this option. I was going to change brands because 25K life out of a 45k All-Season with 500 wear number is unacceptable at the cost of those tires.

I'll report when I have any news on this but I hope I have the same luck as WalToly did.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
6th Gear

"I guess I'll have to go to my Costco and check on this option."

If your store doesn't know anything about it then have them call the one in Lacey, WA. If that doesn't work then I'll go one step further and give you the service guy's name. I don't want to broadcast his name here lest he starts gettting a bunch of calls from around the country.

Waltoly
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this means that if I go to the right store/shop I might get a smokin deal on replacement tires on my 08 Type S. I have just under 20K
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I was going to change brands because 25K life out of a 45k All-Season with 500 wear number is unacceptable at the cost of those tires.
Not really... 25k life out of a 45k tire, means you'll get about half your money pro-rated back to you when you get new tires. That's what I did when I had Bridgestone RE960AS. That's specifically why I got those tires, because it was the first and only UHP A/S tire to offer a warranty at the time. So intead of spending $300/tire every 20,000 miles, why not spend $300/tire and get a replacement at half cost every 20,000 miles.

Also, I don't see why you are celebrating when they gave you Primacy MXM4 tires. Those tires are a severe downgrade from what you had. You went from Ultra-High-Performance All/Season, to standard Grand Touring All-Season.

I find it interesting the outer edge wore faster... When I had the non-plus version of the Pilot Sport All/Season, the middle rib wore down to the wear bars after 20,000 miles on my Infiniti. They told me it was because the center bar was made of a softer compound than the rest of the tire.... Because of this, and the fact that you couldn't rotate the tires because of the staggered setup of my Infiniti, Michelin added an exception to the 45,000 warranty on the Plus version starting in 03/2011, that downgraded the warranty to 25,000 miles for RWD cars with staggered setups for the rear tires. I saw lots of complaints of the center bar wearing first on the Plus and Non-Plus version, but never the outer edge.

I never worried about it, becuase that's what the warranty is for... I cashed in on that twice already. But I found out they added the Staggered exception on all the PIlot SPort A/S Plus tires sold after 03/2011 to be disappointing, because nobody else does that. (at least Conti and Bridgestone don't anyways). BUt I figured that just means I'll get prorated half my warranty on two tires instead of four.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by avs007
Not really... 25k life out of a 45k tire, means you'll get about half your money pro-rated back to you when you get new tires. .... So intead of spending $300/tire every 20,000 miles, why not spend $300/tire and get a replacement at half cost every 20,000 miles.
Sounds like a bit of a hassle trying to wrangle a warranty each time- not to mention all the extra charges I have to pay each time I get new tires: disposal fees, balancing, TPMS sensors, and added marks on the rims each time the tires get mounted. I would rather buy tires that actually last close to their claimed life instead. This reminds me of people who have certain car makes that cause them to be at the dealer on a monthly basis but 'boy does the dealer have good coffee and pastries!'- sorry not for me.

Also, I don't see why you are celebrating when they gave you Primacy MXM4 tires. Those tires are a severe downgrade from what you had. You went from Ultra-High-Performance All/Season, to standard Grand Touring All-Season.
I'm not really celebrating this actually and would not be very happy if the tires claimed to be replaced are the MXM4's. If you read the OP's posting, you'll see the tires replaced were the Primacy MXM4 High Performance which is a much better tire.

I find it interesting the outer edge wore faster... When I had the non-plus version of the Pilot Sport All/Season, the middle rib wore down to the wear bars after 20,000 miles on my Infiniti. ... I saw lots of complaints of the center bar wearing first on the Plus and Non-Plus version, but never the outer edge.
Not sure what to say on this one- it's very obvious and true. I did a Google and the Consumer Reports site came up as one of the top hits with a few TL drivers complaining about this. I added my experience last night to add some for fuel to that fire.

I never worried about it, becuase that's what the warranty is for... I cashed in on that twice already.
Warranty's usually require you to get tires of the same brand- which might not be my choice if I dump a brand like I'm close to now. I would rather not need to rely on a warranty to make a deal pencil out. Not to mention there are usually many 'weasel' words that can void the warranty for some. For example, I actually rotate my own tires and how do I prove that the tires were rotated every 5K miles? Take a picture with a newspaper? Unfortunately, I didn't think of this proof two years ago so it's not a given that I'll even be able to collect on a warranty. You already mentioned disclaimers on stagger installations as another limitation which doesn't affect me directly- I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Sounds like a bit of a hassle trying to wrangle a warranty each time- not to mention all the extra charges I have to pay each time I get new tires: disposal fees, balancing, TPMS sensors, and added marks on the rims each time the tires get mounted. I would rather buy tires that actually last close to their claimed life instead.
It was never a hassle for me. They never asked any questions. I would like to have tires that last close to their claimed life too, but in the UHP category, that is fairly hard to come by, especially on the car I was using them on. So far, the DWS lasted close to their warranty period on the TL.

On my other car, pretty much every tire I have ever tried only lasted 20k miles. (And yes, I made sure to check the alignment).

Besides, I care more about how the tire performs, than how long it lasts... The tire can last 50,000 miles, but if it handles like crap I'm not going to be staying with them.

I'm not really celebrating this actually and would not be very happy if the tires claimed to be replaced are the MXM4's. If you read the OP's posting, you'll see the tires replaced were the Primacy MXM4 High Performance which is a much better tire.
I looked on Michelin's website. There is no such thing as Primacy MXM4 High Performance. Just Primacy MXM4 and Primacy HP. And when you select Ultra High Performance, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus is the only A/S tire listed in that category. The Primacy MXM4 and Primacy HP are both Grand Touring Tires. Severe downgrade from a Pilot Sport A/S Plus. And the Primacy HP is a summer tire, not an A/S tire. According to Michelin's website, the Primacy HP and Primacy MXM4 are "Luxury Performance Touring". Even the Energy MXM4 Plus are in that category according to their website, and that is one of the shittiest tires I have ever driven on...

Warranty's usually require you to get tires of the same brand- which might not be my choice if I dump a brand like I'm close to now. I would rather not need to rely on a warranty to make a deal pencil out. Not to mention there are usually many 'weasel' words that can void the warranty for some. For example, I actually rotate my own tires and how do I prove that the tires were rotated every 5K miles? Take a picture with a newspaper?
You don't need to get the same brand. I didn't. And you don't need to prove anything. Like I said, America's Tire Company didn't ask me any questions. (And I rotate my own tires as well)

Last edited by avs007; 02-02-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Drifting

You already mentioned disclaimers on stagger installations as another limitation which doesn't affect me directly- I'm sure there are others.
I'm probably the only person that reads the terms and conditions of warranties FWIW, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus were the only ones I saw with such a waiver.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Drifting

If you read the OP's posting, you'll see the tires replaced were the Primacy MXM4 High Performance which is a much better tire.
Original Post:

My Pilot Sport A/S Plus is 235/45ZR17 94Y. The Primacy MXM4 replacement is 235/45R17 94W.
Y = 186mph speed rating
W = 168mph speed rating

Y > W
Pilot Sport A/S Plus > Primacy MXM4
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Drifting

^ remember we're driving TLs that have a top speed of 151 if I remember right. A W rated tire is ample for where I drive and the car I'm in- I won't be losing any sleep on that difference.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Drifting

^ remember we're driving TLs that have a top speed of 151 if I remember right. A W rated tire is ample for where I drive and the car I'm in- I won't be losing any sleep on that difference.
I won't lose sleep going from Y to W... Going from an Ultra-High-Performance tire to a Grand Touring tire on the other hand.....

Plus if the OP really did get the Primacy HP, that is a summer tire. I hope the installer clarified that with the owner, considering he lives in Olympia. That is a liability issue if they didn't, and swapped his All/Seasons for a summer tire. I wouldn't hold my breath tho. I hate Costco's tire department. The one time I went there, they couldn't be bothered to tighten my lug nuts... When I pulled my torque wrench out of my trunk in the parking lot, I found that they forgot to tighten some of the lugs. (as in, they weren't even finger tight, they were still loose)

Last edited by avs007; 02-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Y > W
Pilot Sport A/S Plus > Primacy MXM4
I don't think it works like that.

We're comparing across two different catagories of tire Touring v AS Performance). I don't think anyone can catagorically say, "This is better than that" since they are intended to have different characteristics and serve different purposes.

In general a "touring" tire is going to be more comfortable for ride and noise and is more likely to wear better. While a "performance" tire will handle and grip better, but at the (potential) loss of wear and comfort.

"Best" will depend on which characteristics are more important to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I don't think it works like that.

We're comparing across two different catagories of tire Touring v AS Performance). I don't think anyone can catagorically say, "This is better than that" since they are intended to have different characteristics and serve different purposes.

In general a "touring" tire is going to be more comfortable for ride and noise and is more likely to wear better. While a "performance" tire will handle and grip better, but at the (potential) loss of wear and comfort.

"Best" will depend on which characteristics are more important to you.
Lol, I agree... I should have clarified... Earlier, I mentioned I valued performance over wear So in terms of performance, Pilot Sport A/S > Primacy
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
6th Gear

I got those new Primacy MXM4 High Performance put on a few days ago. I'll try to cap off this thread with a few last thoughts.

First of all, I questioned that same service guy again. In my original post I said that he told me this whole thing came about because the TL had a positive camber. And then someone here corrected me and said the TL has a negative camber. It turns out he didn't say the TL had a positive or negative camber. He just said the tires wore unevenly because TL had an OFF camber, similar to several other luxury sports cars like Audi and Mercedes. I know it's just semantics, but I thought I'd set the record straight.

Michelin must have known that from the beginning about the camber so who knows why they would have recommended a tire with a soft outside edge.

Second, as expected the Primacy MXM4 High Performance tires are a bit softer and quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They're both good tires so I don't really care one way or the other. Besides, I'm selling the TL tomorrow and getting a new Nissan Murano AWD. I almost bought a '12 TL AWD, but went for the Murano because I needed the extra ground clearance and cargo space, plus it looks good. I'm just glad I had new tires on the TL, which increased my trade-in value a little bit.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And i liked those tires too.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but thought I may get better responses by posting this here.

My Michelin Pilot Sport Plus tires are recently very loud. I am not sure if brakes/rotors play a roll in this but they are noticably louder. Will a tire rotation or alignment help with the noise? TIA.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by vp55
My Michelin Pilot Sport Plus tires are recently very loud. I am not sure if brakes/rotors play a roll in this but they are noticably louder. Will a tire rotation or alignment help with the noise? TIA.
If they are already loud, they will always be loud. Rotation may help keep them from getting louder, but if they are already worn funny the only fix is to replace the tires as well as repair/correct what caused the odd wear patterns.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Very uncommon, but certain tires on certain vehicles will wear differently even if the suspension is in spec. Point in question Michelin Exalto. Have had them on the daughter's Maxima for 4 years approaching 70,000 miles, drove the car yesterday and as quiet as the day it was new. Installed a new set on out '08 knock around vehicle , 5/10, and the inner tread, actually second in on each side wore unevenly, actually lumpy, similar to the GY Gatorbacks of years ago and the noise grew louder over time. Michelin had no answer other than to say each car is different and as I had 70% remaining, they gave me that much toward a new set of MXV4.
vp55 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
So, tire noise is essentialy the result of uneven treadwear, correct?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Tread design and uneven wear give noise. If your tires were once quiet, but aren't anymore....it is uneven wear.

Also to the OP, I just happened to take a look at my tires today and I see the exact wear pattern you are describing. I think I have about 15k or so miles on my tires. My previous EL42 wore perfectly even and my car was just aligned at the dealer about two months ago. Both fronts are worn probably 75% down now compared to the rest of the tire. It is only the very edge of the tread that is worn. I will be taking it back to the dealer next week to have the alignment verified again, and then from there back to Costco to discuss my options since I doubt these tires have another 5k maybe 10k left in them now.

Just to note, I drive my TL like an old man. My mileage rarely dips below 25mpg and most of my driving is highway. I drove my previous cars hard and had fun tearing them up. No urge to tear this one up.
vp55 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Drifting

So I finally made my way to Costco today to see what they had to say. The tech came out to my car and checked the tread depths. Front tires were at 2/32 on the inside and outside edges and 8/32 in the middle. Rear tires were 2/32 on the edges and 7/32 in the center. With both edges being worn equally on all four tires, it is not an alignment issue. However they stated there isn't much they can do until the tire is basically worn smooth on the edge. So no biggie, I will drive it another 5k miles or so and bring it back in. I currently have 18k miles on the tires.

I am hopeful I will get roughly the same offer as the OP got. I without a doubt want to move back to a Grand Touring tire instead of a UHP A/S tire. I favor quietness, comfort, and MPG over performance these days.

Last edited by Jackass; 02-25-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Sub'd! I have 235/40/18s on my car now...but they're BRAND new.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by waltoly
At about 39,000 miles I replaced the OEM Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my 06 TL with four of the exact same tires at Costco. I'm now 31,000 miles into that second set and went back for a rotation. When I came back to pick up my car the service guy tells me he didn't do the rotation and gives me this interesting story:

It turns out those particular tires do not work well with the TL. I've seen other people here complain about how the outside edge of that tire wears out faster than the middle or inside edge. Some people blamed it on a bad alignment, but Michelin recognizes the problem and no longer recommends that tire for the TL because the TL's positive camber is, apparently, not like most other cars. The outside edge of that tire is softer than the middle or inside edge and thus the outside edge wears faster and so the tire doesn't last as long.

The service guy showed me my tires and pointed out that unusual wear pattern. I knew it wasn't my alignment because I had it done just a year ago. He said the Michellin rep told him NOT to put that tire on TLs. Instead, Michelin recommends the Primacy MXM4. They don't have the soft outside edge and so are better matched to the TL.

Michelin has authorized Costco to replace any Pilot Sport A/S Plus on a TL. I don't think it's been widely broadcast to each store. I don't know the exact details for that policy. The service guy just knew about it because he had a TL himself and pointed out the problem to his Michelin rep. And the rep confirmed the issue.

Michelin is picking up the entire tab for my replacement. Technically, it's not a recall... but the outcome is the same. So they are replacing all four of my $190 Pilot Sport A/S Plus (with 31,000 miles on them!) with the $200 Primacy MXM4 High Performance. Total cost to me = $0.00! They didn't have any in stock and had to special ordered the Primacy for me. Will be here in a few days.

Interesting. No?
My wife's 2006 ACURA TL has the same exact problem. She has 30 K miles on the tires. She brought it to the Costco in Charlotte today to look at the tires and they told her to drive another 5K miles on them to see if the wear comes down to 3/32. They mentioned nothing about Michelin replacing them. The tire guy also had the same acura and was well aware of the wear issues. I've contacted Michelin to see what the story is and to see if its safe to drive with a tire in this condition. Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Photo update just to show the wear:

All four tires are worn almost evenly on the inner and outer shoulders. There is 1/32 or less on each shoulder while there is 6/32 or more on the rest of the tread. One of these days I will make my way back to Costco to see if they are willing to make some type of deal.

I hardly drive my car anymore. My wife drives it more often than I do these days. I think I have driven it personally less than 100 miles in the past month or two. She drives it usually once or twice a week just to keep the miles off of her car.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM
ASE Certified Master Tech

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car came with the Pilot Sport A/S tires and they were worn out on the inside and outside edges just like the other members above. Luckily I got a set of almost new take-off Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. They are 235/50R17 95V instead of the 235/45/R17 93W tires that the car had. They are slightly taller, but I am really happy with the way they feel on the road.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

you gatta go with the toyo proxy !
Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Drifting

Just got off the phone with Costco and they confirmed my tires are now worn enough to invoke the mileage warranty. So far, doesn't appear I am going to get anything special out of it besides the normal pro-rated amounts.

Oh well. Now to decide if I do Primacy MXM4 or Turanza Serenity+? I am not focusing on the 970AS at the moment, since I would prefer to get back to a Grand Touring tire for comfort, winter performance, and MPG gains.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Very useful thread -- I am replacing my tires on my 2006 TL, and since Costco is running $70 off Michelin tires special this week, decided to go ahead and get 'er done.

The Costco auto-selector prompted me to go for the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, but after reviewing this thread, I opted for the Primacy MXM4 (not sure which "flavor" of the tire it is as Costco had what appeared to be to similar "Primacy MXM4" options with the only difference listed being the item number) but they're being shipped directly to the tire center at the closest warehouse (greater Houston area) and I'll report back once the install's completed.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Drifting

So it appears Michelin has zero interest in providing any assistance to me regarding this issue. Costco said the credit will be just over $200 with the price to put Primacy MXM4 being just over $600. Very disappointed with Michelin at this point and more than likely will end up switching to Turanza Serenity+ or DWS if I am going to have to lay out that much money this early into the life of the tires.

I have never had to use the tread-life warranty on tires in my 20 years of owing a vehicle. This was my first set of Michelin tires and likely my last unfortunately. I have always had very good luck with Firestone/Bridgestone over the years and will likely lean that direction.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Drifting

And now confirmed that Michelin has zero interest in discussing anything with me regarding my tire issues. I turned in a negative review of the service they provided on my initial contact with customer service so they called me this morning. I explained my concerns about having to lay out another $600'ish to replace these tires extremely early in their lifetime and her only response was that it must be bad installation which was not their fault. She made it clear that there were not any known issues with these tires and something I did or the installer did is causing the excessive wear. At that point while I was still speaking, she said thank you and hung up.

I had not even gotten mouthy or rude yet. I was still being friendly and trying to have a discussion about the options I had and the issues and concerns regarding these tires. She wanted absolutely nothing to do with what I had to say and was just trying to do a "follow-up" call related to my survey.

So now I am waiting to see what Costco comes back with. If it is only the pro-rating, then I will probably order a set of DWS and take them to my local dealer to have them installed. If Costco comes up with something more, I may go with the Serenity+ instead. Costco is a much more convenient option than going to the dealer for sure...but I will not be putting another set of Michelin tires on my vehicles again.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Actually Michelin is usually pretty receptive when it comes to problems, especially if you have all the documentation. On our '08 knock around car equipped with the Exalto tire, the tire noise became terrible and as the tires were 50% worn they picked up 50% of the cost on new MXV4.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Drifting

I will probably try calling them again to see if another agent is more receptive. I was completely caught off guard by this response from them. I seriously had expected a much better response from them regarding my issues. These aren't $75 cheapo tires and I am not an 16 year old kid who burned through them buy doing burnouts and driving like a madman...or like an 18 year old would drive. We have all been there and done that.

I followed the recommendation from Costco which was to let them wear down to 2/32" and we will go from there. Now I am there and looking to have to buy another set of tires 2 years earlier than I had planned. I have never expected to get a free set of tires like the OP did, but was also not expecting to pay another $600 to replace my tires yet.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Drifting

^ I did not bother with Costco and trying to get any warranty. Michelin pissed me off so much I went with a different brand and got some Yokohama YK580 tires. I have put 1500 miles on them and noticed no noticeable performance degradation from the A/S Plus tires. I also got an immediate 4 MPG improvement for highway- I got 34 MPG doing 66 mph average speed which is mostly 75 when possible. I even upgraded the width to 245/45 so I imagine the stock 235 width might be a tad more efficient.

The tires are also more quiet so this has been a win-win improvement: performance,quietness, and economy. I even got to test wet traction and I think the YK's are very similar to the Michelins.

The big unknown is tire wear, but these tires have to beat 25k miles that I got with the Michelins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recall: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus