Ft front axle leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Ft front axle leaking

Took my 06 RL in for service today. I've been unhappy with smoothness and acceleration since a valve adjustment and new plugs last year. They found no problems with timing and such, but they say the rat front axle is leaking. They want $350 to fix it but say it can wait. Uh, yeah, it can wait. Is there a DIY for seal replacement you guys can point me to?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:24 AM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Axle seals are pretty easy I don't think there's a DIY on here though. You have to take the whole shaft out and pop the seal out.

So you basically jack up the right front. I'm assuming you mean right front. Take the cotter pin out of the lower ball joint. Free up the ball joint so you can swing the hub. You will need to take out the axle nut and hammer the axle straight on so it pops out a bit from the hub. Swing the Hub and pop the axle shaft out then you have to take the other side out then take the seal out.

I've never replaced axles seals on RLs but usually this is the process on most cars. You might need an alignment after too from dropping the ball joint because sometimes it throws the alignment off.

You also have to make sure you put the new seal in the same with you took the old seal out.

It's better to do this job on a hoist where you have more access. Left front is a bit easier.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (03-02-2016)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonK
Axle seals are pretty easy I don't think there's a DIY on here though. You have to take the whole shaft out and pop the seal out.

So you basically jack up the right front. I'm assuming you mean right front. Take the cotter pin out of the lower ball joint. Free up the ball joint so you can swing the hub. You will need to take out the axle nut and hammer the axle straight on so it pops out a bit from the hub. Swing the Hub and pop the axle shaft out then you have to take the other side out then take the seal out.

I've never replaced axles seals on RLs but usually this is the process on most cars. You might need an alignment after too from dropping the ball joint because sometimes it throws the alignment off.

You also have to make sure you put the new seal in the same with you took the old seal out.

It's better to do this job on a hoist where you have more access. Left front is a bit easier.

I have the same issue. Would you recommend me website to buy the left hand axle seal?
Old 06-22-2021, 03:34 PM
RHO
10th Gear

Tein Street Adv.Z coilovers arrived today. Looking forward to installing them!
Old 12-10-2021, 01:25 PM
4th Gear

Good afternoon Folks,
It seems that I have the same problem with my 2003 Acura TL. It seems that the sunroof rear drain holes are clogged, since on rainy days water collects in my trunk. I checked, every thing with the trunk door, seal, etc. is fine. Anyway,
I opened the sunroof but I can't get to the rear drain holes, since the sunroof glass is in my way and does not retract completely.
So, any idea as how I can get to the rear sunroof drain holes?

Thank you very much